Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Razorwired posted:

Its bullshit design because show me the list of encounters you 100% cant do without a pure Martial character.

Show me the monster specifically made to eat magic foci and spellbooks as a special gently caress You to the Wizard whose been getting a little too uppity with Fireball.

The Helmed Horror and Rakshasa are the closest that I can think of on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Somthing like the Sunless Citadel or Forge of Fury could work. But they might be a bit too long.

He could probably make a decent adventure out of just the first floor of Sunless Citadel if he tweaks their motivation for going in there. Then, if another session is wanted the rabbit hole is a bit deeper and ready to go.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Coup de grace'ing players is bad form because outside of a particularly determined foe, it's more important to keep fighting the combatants that are still up and about.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Coup de grace'ing players is bad form because outside of a particularly determined foe, it's more important to keep fighting the combatants that are still up and about.

See: A Death Knight who really hates a Paladin, an enemy who got away coming back after someone who scarred them in an old fight, etc.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well, it makes sense if before their next turn the bard or cleric will Healing Word the Big Scary Fighter back up so they can keep outputting damage, but the reason you shouldn't do it as a DM is the same reason why you pretend 'frontliners' are a thing instead of just walking around them to go hit the relatively more squishy characters: because the alternative is not fun.

See also hitting PCs with stunning/paralyzing effects.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

His point is introducing a hostile monster that the party can't possibly defeat is dumb and no, the DM should not have a monster appear that guarantees a party wipe with no wizard.

That's just the adapting world paradox, though. It becomes just as silly if the players realize that they should allow the wizard to run out of spells, because that way all monsters that would require magic to defeat mysteriously disappear.

However, I do agree with the lack of monsters in the MM that target wizards as opposed to those that target fighters..

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

What do you guys think of DMs who consistently coup de grace players because "that's what the enemy would do"?

I don't think players should die for playing a game even if it is 5e

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Coup de grace's are for when you're fighting the Big Bad, the person who has a legit reason to see you flat out dead. And that's why players always make sure everyone has healing potions/Revify and to pre-buff Death Ward.

Goblins and black oozes? Nope. Death Knights? Maybe. Death Knight who's the main bad guy of your campaign and is finally being confronted after months of gameplay? Yep.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

hyphz posted:

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean there should be no support for magic at all in the game? Or just that it shouldn't support that structure? Because if an enemy has the capability to attack that way, not having them do so because the players couldn't handle it will just look like an obvious fudge.

I am saying that you cannot make challenges or monsters that require a wizard, and then take a step back and claim those monsters are the reason you have to make wizards all powerful. It's circular reasoning.

Like...

hyphz posted:

That's just the adapting world paradox, though. It becomes just as silly if the players realize that they should allow the wizard to run out of spells, because that way all monsters that would require magic to defeat mysteriously disappear.

Why is this, specifically, a thing? It doesn't have to be. The game isn't real. If monsters require magic, that's because the developers put in monsters that require magic, and for no other reason. So change that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I will posit that if you have a Divine or otherwise caster that can immediately bring someone back from death, then a coup de grace is fine in the context of a fight against a worthy opponent. Just straight up killing someone in a random fight (unless they were doing really dumb things and had plenty of warning I guess) is lovely.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
So i just found out that divine smite dice rolls get doubled as well on a crit. Is a paladin's gimmick in fights to fish for crits then unload a ridiculous amount of damage when you get one? If so how can i get more crits? The chance to crit is close to linear with attack rolls you make, so Vow of Enmity to get advantage and extra attack at level 5 both double the crit chance. After that polearm mastery gets you a bonus attack which would increase the chance by 50%. I guess getting 3 levels in fight for champion would double it again but at the cost of missing out on spell slots and stuff. All that together would get the chance to crit on your turn to 47%. Is there anything else you can do to increase this further?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Splash sorc for quickend hold

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CJ posted:

So i just found out that divine smite dice rolls get doubled as well on a crit. Is a paladin's gimmick in fights to fish for crits then unload a ridiculous amount of damage when you get one? If so how can i get more crits?
Nah that's more of a rogue thing, you attack with advantage from stealth so you can double your crit % from 5 to 10. Also you do not spend spell slot on your cunning attack damage and it get higher as you level. But yeah i guess if you team up with that totem Barbarian with the right totem he can gives you advantage in melee, i guess.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 17, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

CJ posted:

So i just found out that divine smite dice rolls get doubled as well on a crit. Is a paladin's gimmick in fights to fish for crits then unload a ridiculous amount of damage when you get one? If so how can i get more crits? The chance to crit is close to linear with attack rolls you make, so Vow of Enmity to get advantage and extra attack at level 5 both double the crit chance. After that polearm mastery gets you a bonus attack which would increase the chance by 50%. I guess getting 3 levels in fight for champion would double it again but at the cost of missing out on spell slots and stuff. All that together would get the chance to crit on your turn to 47%. Is there anything else you can do to increase this further?

Beyond doing what you can to get advantage when possible and trying to max your number of attacks? Don't think so. The melee game's not all that deep.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CJ posted:

I think you're basically hitting it other than what the guy said about Hold, i.e. taking a caster dip to pick up spells that let you guarantee crits by incapacitating enemies, though if you're doing that we're back to "you may as well just be a loving mage" because you don't have to smite crit to kill something once you land a hold

There's a couple ways to increase the burst damage further when you do crit, like a Sharpness/Vorpal sword and having Great Weapon Mastery (which you want to get first basically on a burst build/any damage build on a class that can use 2hers)

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I dodged the caster dip by asking my party Druid to hook it up with a Hold or Fairy Fire Casts in exchange for the occasional gold assist or heal. Luckily my casters are cool about it. It doesnt work as much in AL.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Re: Coup de Grace from DMs, thanks for reassuring me that I was not being a whiny baby when the DM wrecked my poo poo so mercilessly. He was power tripping pretty hard. He said that if we did not phrase our damage on the exact way he requested, he would make assumptions and not ask questions and if that ended up with lower damage from player attacks, that was on us. We had to say how much damage, what type and on what enemy, in that order. We could not ask what AC was because he had it written down on the mat, and be would ignore anyone who asked.

He declared that anyone who didn't come correct with their class abilities from lack of familiarity with their character would get no mercy. He would pull no punches and if we did not pay attention, we would die.

By the way, all of this would actually be fine. I'd scoff a bit at his forced edginess, but I can appreciate a challenge. And I knew my class well. But that doesn't matter if the DM says a Remorrhaz beat my 30 perception and then we get ambushed and I'm one shotted in the surprise round. This wasn't challenging, it was literally impossible to fight back.

In retrospect, I'm starting to realize why that was the only table at the store with four players instead of the usual 7 like every other table.

At the end of the game, he said that if I wanted, I could not deduct the cost of rez, he just killed players because it was the only way to make the game challenging. I guess he "forgot" that death curse was active... And so I did too.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 17, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Re: Coup de Grace from DMs, thanks for reassuring me that I was not being a whiny baby when the DM wrecked my poo poo so mercilessly. He was power tripping pretty hard. He said that if we did not phrase our damage on the exact way he requested, he would make assumptions and not ask questions and if that ended up with lower damage from player attacks, that was on us. We had to say how much damage, what type and on what enemy, in that order. We could not ask what AC was because he had it written down on the mat, and be would ignore anyone who asked.

He declared that anyone who didn't come correct with their class abilities from lack of familiarity with their character would get no mercy. He would pull no punches and if we did not pay attention, we would die.

In retrospect, I'm starting to realize why that was the only table at the store with four players instead of the usual 7 like every other table.

At the end of the game, he said that if I wanted, I could not deduct the cost of rez, he just killed players because it was the only way to make the game challenging. I guess he "forgot" that death curse was active... And so I did too.

This DM sounds like he is playing to "win", not to run a good game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I will also guess on damage type if I'm not sure, but it'll be a good faith best guess. It's just not worth slowing things down to ask for stuff that usually doesn't matter.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

By the way, all of this would actually be fine. I'd scoff a bit at his forced edginess, but I can appreciate a challenge. And I knew my class well. But that doesn't matter if the DM says a Remorrhaz beat my 30 perception and then we get ambushed and I'm one shotted in the surprise round. This wasn't challenging, it was literally impossible to fight back.

You've got a viking hat DM. :sever:

Seriously, that guy's either really new, or he's learned all the wrong lessons about running a game.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"I am a tough but fair GM. You must know the rules and have perfect knowledge of your class. In my game the dice fall where they may. I will not answer your stupid questions."

:ironicat:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

AlphaDog posted:

Beyond doing what you can to get advantage when possible and trying to max your number of attacks? Don't think so. The melee game's not all that deep.

I thought of one. You could go Level 2 Divination Wizard and then cross your fingers for a Portent 20. The cool thing about that is you know in advance that you will crit so you can throw one of the bonus action smite spells in there first which would also get doubled. Almost definitely not worth it for the 1/10 chance of getting to clown something each day though.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

ProfessorCirno posted:

I am saying that you cannot make challenges or monsters that require a wizard, and then take a step back and claim those monsters are the reason you have to make wizards all powerful. It's circular reasoning.

Like...

Why is this, specifically, a thing? It doesn't have to be. The game isn't real. If monsters require magic, that's because the developers put in monsters that require magic, and for no other reason. So change that.

Sorry, I'm thinking we're at cross purposes. I'm not arguing that magic-requiring monsters existing means that wizards must be powerful. I'm pointing out that the existence of magic-requiring monsters gives the lie to the idea that "but the wizard can only do this X times per day" is realistically a balancing factor, because if there might be a magic-requiring monsters around the next corner, the entire party must run to the wizard's schedule.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Nephzinho posted:

This DM sounds like he is playing to "win", not to run a good game.

Playing to win only works if the rules are tightly balanced and clearly written, like in a competitive game such as MtG. It's a pity that combination doesn't exist in RPG form.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, MtG is a game about dueling wizards with a gargantuan amount of lore. You're effectively telling a story with every game you play, and there's nothing that stops two or more players who mutually agree on it from building a narrative - or even an ongoing world arc - around their games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

Sorry, I'm thinking we're at cross purposes. I'm not arguing that magic-requiring monsters existing means that wizards must be powerful. I'm pointing out that the existence of magic-requiring monsters gives the lie to the idea that "but the wizard can only do this X times per day" is realistically a balancing factor, because if there might be a magic-requiring monsters around the next corner, the entire party must run to the wizard's schedule.
And cirno is saying that getting rid of magic requiring monsters entirely solves the whole issue. Make every monster defeatable by the right weapon, tactics, skills, or terrain use and the whole problem just goes away.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Make magic a useful tool instead of a hard requirement for some encounters and also if you literally have players gaming the system to go "Well he goes easier on us if the wizard is out of spells so we should have the wizard constantly out of spells" that's a 'Talk to them out of character because they're being assholes' problem, not a verisimilitude issue.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

But if the party refuses to equip themselves and doesn't go outside and just sits in the basement not taking any actions then monsters that require taking any actions to defeat would all automatically disappear from the world and the game would be automatically won I am very definitely putting this forward in good faith as a real thing that real people would do in D&D.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

AlphaDog posted:

But if the party refuses to equip themselves and doesn't go outside and just sits in the basement not taking any actions then monsters that require taking any actions to defeat would all automatically disappear from the world and the game would be automatically won I am very definitely putting this forward in good faith as a real thing that real people would do in D&D.

The only winning move is not to play martial classes.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The player, smirking, stated firmly that their character only fights via playing tic-tac-toe, and thus should only encounter monsters that can be defeated via playing tic-tac-toe. "I have maxed out my initiative modifier to the point where I will always go first", they smugly mentioned.

The DM, bowing his head, admitted defeat. No Dungeons & Dragons would be played this day.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

The only reason there are monsters and environmental obstacles that require magic to be disarmed/bypassed/surmounted in the first place is because most DMs (indeed most written adventures) will realize that monsters and environments that are purely terrestrial are going to get steamrollered by magic-users in about five minutes.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kaysette posted:

The only winning move is not to play D&D.

FTFY

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

AlphaDog posted:

The player, smirking, stated firmly that their character only fights via playing tic-tac-toe, and thus should only encounter monsters that can be defeated via playing tic-tac-toe. "I have maxed out my initiative modifier to the point where I will always go first", they smugly mentioned.

The DM, bowing his head, admitted defeat. No Dungeons & Dragons would be played this day.
okay got a new character for my characters-to-play queue - a rogue(in 5e terms, a bard) who got his start as a tic-tac-toe hustler

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

a rogue(in 5e terms, a bard)

:lol:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/931737703648870400

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Apparently he thinks it fits thematically into the Underdark Campaign book, where everyone starts in jail.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

okay got a new character for my characters-to-play queue - a rogue(in 5e terms, a bard) who got his start as a tic-tac-toe hustler

You're alright jeffrey. Your're alright.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Apparently he thinks it fits thematically into the Underdark Campaign book, where everyone starts in jail.

What in the actual gently caress.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Arcane Archer in Xanathar's doesn't get free Magic Arrows until level 7. You get class abilities starting at level 3 that require magical arrows. What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Arcane Archer in Xanathar's doesn't get free Magic Arrows until level 7. You get class abilities starting at level 3 that require magical arrows. What the gently caress?

Don’t forget magical items should be a special occasion and not be expected or demanded in order to preserve their mystery.