Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

McNally posted:

Do you not like your son?

I love my son. We're just a military family. All men, and most women, in my family are military. My direct paternal line has fought in every major conflict the US has ever had (and lot's of stuff before that). We're also military academy people.

The fact is, it's going to happen and I can influence it A LOT. So all said and done I'm thinking some kind of computer job with a clearance will set him up nicely. Is that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

DoktorLoken posted:

You get a ton of training on technical stuff and a TS/SCI, downsides the AIT is like a year long. We've got at least one recently former 35T floating around GiP that I'm sure can shed more light on things.

Sup? There's three of us floating around that I know of.

If you hate your child enough to push them into gobbling the green weenie on the regular 35T is at least a better flavor of cock to be forced onto and it sets you up pretty good on the outside.

Get a basic algebra course refresher before AIT if your kid is like me and forgot that poo poo after graduating high school. They go out of their way to bust your balls with homework (yes, straight up homework) the first month or two of AIT. They want people who can't hack it to fail out asap instead of somewhere else along a 51 week AIT so they pile on a bunch of front loaded poo poo.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Hi, I'm a recently former 35T floating around GiP. There are one or two other old farts that got out before I even joined and I see them post sometimes.

AIT is long and being in TRADOC for that period of time is pretty grueling, but whatever it's doable. There are a lot of opportunities for setting yourself up nicely for when you get out--TS/SCI clearance, a few certifications from AIT and chances for more once you're in a real unit.

If he's going to join, you might as well tell him about this MOS. It's a crap shoot as to what he'd actually do because it's one of those jack-of-all-trades jobs and there are slots for us almost anywhere. I was stationed at two different bases and the jobs were night and day different at each.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

Sup? There's three of us floating around that I know of.

Former Trojan (gently caress that thing) operator 35F here. But 35Ts are among the most alright 35 series people usually. :eng101:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There's also 35Q for army hacking which is probably just putting QR codes on printers or something.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What about the USAF for the job where you hand out basketballs

He could work at a gym later

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I will also add that we aren't Army specific. I'm going to see what the AF has to offer him too.

I know that I've been eating garbage in a ditch with BN staff officers while AF privates are eating steak across the street before.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I heard “I should’ve joined the air force/navy” a lot from army and marines. But I never really heard “I should’ve joined the army” from anyone.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr_s6-Q7f00

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

DoktorLoken posted:

Former Trojan (gently caress that thing) operator 35F here. But 35Ts are among the most alright 35 series people usually. :eng101:

My unit at Drum was supposedly transitioning over to making the 35Ts be the Trojan operators. I don't know how that wound up shaking out, but ugh... it was always nice to set it up and then ignore that thing.

boop the snoot posted:

I heard “I should’ve joined the air force/navy” a lot from army and marines. But I never really heard “I should’ve joined the army” from anyone.

I told a friend of mine that I was going to sign out at midnight for leave once, and he asked me why I didn't just do it online. He's Air Force, and apparently they had a system set up so anyone, regardless of rank, would just sign out online.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I will also add that we aren't Army specific.

Sham option: coast guard.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Aranan posted:

I told a friend of mine that I was going to sign out at midnight for leave once, and he asked me why I didn't just do it online. He's Air Force, and apparently they had a system set up so anyone, regardless of rank, would just sign out online.

Imagine the ways the Army would gently caress up something like this and make life suck for soldiers. Do it, just let your imagination run wild.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Imagine the ways the Army would gently caress up something like this and make life suck for soldiers. Do it, just let your imagination run wild.

You can sign out online, but to make sure you're still in-bounds when signing out, E1 - E6 must go to BN staff duty and use the computer there.

Also, all other soldiers not on leave must sign in online as being at work. Soldiers who don't sign in daily will be counted as AWOL.

Also, since some E2 signed in as being at work but then got arrested later that day and it was several hours before anyone found out, all soldiers must now sign in every two hours during the duty day, and every six hours during nights and weekends.

To expedite the above, company commanders may hold formations every two/six hours and log in the entire company as not on leave.

ad infinitum

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Aranan posted:

My unit at Drum was supposedly transitioning over to making the 35Ts be the Trojan operators. I don't know how that wound up shaking out, but ugh... it was always nice to set it up and then ignore that thing.

Yeah that's what active duty air force uses. Any AF computer has access. You just sign out before you leave for the day that day, and sign back in when you get back. If you don't, they just send you email alerts until you do.

Source: I was on AF active duty for ten years like a sucker

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

Sham option: coast guard.

It has to be a branch of the military though.

Loden Taylor posted:

You can sign out online, but to make sure you're still in-bounds when signing out, E1 - E6 must go to BN staff duty and use the computer there.

Also, all other soldiers not on leave must sign in online as being at work. Soldiers who don't sign in daily will be counted as AWOL.

Also, since some E2 signed in as being at work but then got arrested later that day and it was several hours before anyone found out, all soldiers must now sign in every two hours during the duty day, and every six hours during nights and weekends.

To expedite the above, company commanders may hold formations every two/six hours and log in the entire company as not on leave.

ad infinitum

And you have to use your cac. Also, you're going to need a special certificate for it too. And it'll be an absolute nightmare to install and will corrupt all your current cac stuff.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Why enlist and not commission?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Yeah that's what active duty air force uses. Any AF computer has access. You just sign out before you leave for the day that day, and sign back in when you get back. If you don't, they just send you email alerts until you do.

Source: I was on AF active duty for ten years like a sucker

The Air Force can’t exist without the army to absorb all the retards.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vahakyla posted:

Why enlist and not commission?

The grunt asks

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

The grunt asks

He's just a medic that wants to do summadat grunt poo poo

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Wait he’s a medic. I forgot that.

Yeah enjoy it now man. Deploying is gonna suck bad for you.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

He's gonna stick so many thermometers up butts

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We had so many dudes fall out the first few patrols in Afghanistan that it became SOP that a butt thermometer was the first thing to happen.

People stopped falling out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

He's gonna stick so many fingers up butts

Agnostic Jihad
Sep 17, 2007

Old school? New school?
Shit, I didn't go to school.

spacetoaster posted:

So all said and done I'm thinking some kind of computer job with a clearance will set him up nicely. Is that right?

As a 35 series who just picked up his DD214 last week, I'd like to point out that every junior 35T I ever met hated life because their promotions are garbage since all their NCOs reclassed from some other dumb MOS so they could get awesome training and a clearance before getting out.

With that in mind, if he just does 4 and gets out, he could do worse than 35T. The new hotness right now is cyber though, so he should maybe think about 35Q or 17C. Unless he wants summadat grunt poo poo, in which case maybe he should just consider therapy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I got a secret clearance as an 11b.

Just sayin!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

So did I, but at least in my platoon that was the exception rather than the rule.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Wait, how does anybody deploy without at least having an interim Secret? Do they expect guys without clearances to just wear blindfolds and earmuffs 24/7 for an entire year? That seems like it would be rather inconvenient for doing, you know, Army stuff. :confused:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
because your average combat arms guy probably doesn't even know where the toc is, let alone anything that's remotely secured

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Agnostic Jihad posted:

As a 35 series who just picked up his DD214 last week, I'd like to point out that every junior 35T I ever met hated life because their promotions are garbage since all their NCOs reclassed from some other dumb MOS so they could get awesome training and a clearance before getting out.

With that in mind, if he just does 4 and gets out, he could do worse than 35T. The new hotness right now is cyber though, so he should maybe think about 35Q or 17C. Unless he wants summadat grunt poo poo, in which case maybe he should just consider therapy.

Went in as E4, got out as E4(p). Partly on me, but I was fine with it.

17Q does sound pretty interesting from the few things I have heard about it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I snuck out today and subbed for a 2nd grade class.

The kids are great, the mid 20's/30's women (literally 100% of the people in the building minus me) is what's going to kill me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Clearances are weird sometimes. Is it secret info that a strategic system is broken? Yeah. Does the supply dude with no clearance know that it’s broken while techs crawl all over the system and he’s running around getting parts on order? Presumably yes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I used my secret exactly twice. The second time after carefully confiscating cell phones from an auditorium of officers and SNCOs, people still took notes. Including an LT from my platoon sitting next to me. I had to have the criminal conspiracy notes conversation from the Wire with him.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How do you know you are using it? Is it like “THIS poo poo IS THE SECRET CLUB FAM”

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Quick, somebody do this with a tank or something.

https://twitter.com/adamrg/status/9...ges-in-sky.html

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Vasudus posted:

because your average combat arms guy probably doesn't even know where the toc is, let alone anything that's remotely secured
Even having access to literally any commo equipment while deployed would necessitate that.

"Snuffy, send a FIPR back to the TOC and tell them that we're gonna need to-go plates."

"I don't have a clearance, Sar'nt."

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
my guys would literally knock on the toc door and yell that they need a fill

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Coming from MI this all sounds like some weird opposite world.

Agnostic Jihad
Sep 17, 2007

Old school? New school?
Shit, I didn't go to school.

DoktorLoken posted:

Coming from MI this all sounds like some weird opposite world.

Yeah, it’s seriously weird. Fun story, an artillery PL once told me that all officers have TS clearances so I needed to take him to the SCIF with me in Mosul.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That all sounds like crazy town to me. I went in MI and dealt with that stuff from day one so in my head it's impossible to imagine Army-ing without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

stand by warriors i have a FRAGO to the FRAGO