Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I also read that one. It was a good book that I now feel awful for buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
img-timeline, Ramirez

(with a big hairy butt and his butt stinks and

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The victim accepted his apology, doesn't want him to step down, and doesn't want an ethics committee to go after him. This is exactly like Roy Moore having a 14 year old rub one out for him becauuuuse.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Fulchrum posted:

Well someone PLEASE teach ITV what the word celebrity means?

This never gets old (Warning: swearies): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAXpt2BSEUM

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A guy who is actually requesting an ethics committee investigate him is 100% as bad as a pedophile denying everything. Worse, in fact because he's a Democrat

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also despite the reporting on the issue Franken denied the serious accusations, only admitting making a very bad taste joke that he acknowledges was wrong. The victim still accepted the apology.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So am I supposed to hate Al Franken now or forgive him? Its hard to keep up with all this stuff.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Maybe he should ask Danny Hellman for advice.

Worst case scenario, he has his skills as a gigolo to fall back on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Internet Kraken posted:

So am I supposed to hate Al Franken now or forgive him? Its hard to keep up with all this stuff.

You're not "supposed" to do anything. Feel free to form your own opinion.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

SirSamVimes posted:

You're not "supposed" to do anything. Feel free to form your own opinion.

I don't get it, you lost me :confused:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Don't be silly Bad Reporter, God's way too old for Moore!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
We're laughing at that first panel - for now.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on political upheavals – While Zimbabwe remains in political limbo following a military takeover, Theresa May faces increasing pressure from both inside and outside her party"

Telegraph:

After Leonardo da Vinci.

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Mail:
Mac on... Leonardo Da Vinci's Salvador Mundi selling for $450million

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UK's A Thing Happened is more classier than ours.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MelvinBison posted:

He's the namesake of Calvinist Christianity, which favors Predestination and believes that all people are born either destined to be Christian and go to Heaven or are doomed to Hell from birth, which raises a bunch of questions about how good God can be if he intentionally damns people for no reason. Obviously, this goes well with Adam's superiority complex.

Also he hated Jews and killed a bunch of people killed as part of the Protestant Reformation.
Literally the only good Calvinism brought to this world was give John Brown the religious fervor to kill slavers

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

On a day's worth of Senator Cory Bernardi.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Rall v. LA Times: Now They Want Me To Pay Them $340,000
November 9, 2017
Hi, hope you’re enjoying the fall weather!
Here’s the latest on Rall v. LA Times.
As you may recall, the Times won their anti-SLAPP motion against me in LA Superior Court, and we are appealing that to the Court of Appeals.
We’re optimistic, but in the meantime the Times has filed their attorneys’ fees with the Court and is demanding that I pay them $340,000. That’s right — the LA Times defamed me, and now they’re abusing the law to try to bankrupt me!
There’s a court hearing about the Times’ insane legal bills on November 20; if you’d like to attend please let me know.
Among the highlights:
Times lawyer Kelli Sager charges $705 an hour to defend them against the people they libel, instead of simply publishing a retraction and an apology for their lies. No wonder newspapers are in financial trouble!
One of the defendant corporate entities, Tribune Media, ceased to relate to newspapers in a complicated restructuring that my previous lawyer didn’t know about. Sager was supposed to tell my former lawyer; that’s standard legal ethics. She didn’t. Yet she is billing more than $30,000 just defending that defendant…when she could simply have told my lawyer for the cost of a phone call.
If the Times wins on November 20th, they will likely go after the $75,000 bond posted in 2016 as a result of a previous court order. If that happens and I prevail at appeal, we’ll get it back.
Thank you for your support and, if you’ve been following the fight between Disney and the LA Times, remember: the LA Times are not First Amendment heroes.

Ted "It's cheaper to plead guilty why didn't they just do that oh no did I just give away my hand" Rall everyone.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Internet Kraken posted:

Good question. I think the answer is not to let him off the hook (although the fact that his accuser accepts his apology is a mitigating factor). As for the inevitable Moore/Franken comparisons, if someone tries to accuse you of a double standard, don't try to exonerate Franken but force your opponent to condemn Moore as well, or else admit that they don't care about Franken or Moore's transgressions.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
It's a shame about Franken because literally the day before that news I was telling my wife about his book Why Not Me?, the story of a fictional Al Franken presidency, and how it'd be funny if it actually came true and the campaign was remotely like the book. The one thing that always stuck in my head about the book is how on the campaign he'd always have to meet and greet with so many "Stupid People" that for the sake of brevity he just started calling them SP's the rest of the book.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... Leonardo Da Vinci's Salvador Mundi selling for $450million

lord help me, I laughed at a Mac

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

UK's A Thing Happened is more classier than ours.

The UK cartoonists are fond of parodying famous paintings in general, not just when the painting in question is a current event.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven’t seen any non-UK cartoons here comment on the whole Mugabe thing

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

I haven’t seen any non-UK cartoons here comment on the whole Mugabe thing

No oil in Zimbabwe? So presumably no-one else cares. The UK does because it was another one of those places we marched into and called ours - in this case Rhodesia.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Until recently, it pleased me greatly to know that Bill O'Reilly was unemployed and Al Franken was a U.S. Senator. Now there's not so much joy there. :smith:

cheetah7071 posted:

Reminder that Ted Rall works for Russian state media

It's odd that he doesn't defend Russia in any of his Sputnik News cartoons. I guess they don't want to be too obvious?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Cpt.Americant posted:

There's still a hell of a power dynamic problem though. Louis CK *asked* if he could jerk off in front of people, but he was their boss. Consent gets tricky when you get into situations like that. It's why we have rules about bosses dating subordinates. And there are many accusers much worse than Monica that sound straight from the playbook of lots of other people with power who leveraged their power to get away with things they otherwise couldn't get away with. We don't have to defend Bill Clinton just because the right wing is both obsessed with him and treats him unfairly.

I...don't think I was defending Bill Clinton or Louis CK or Al Franken? Because gently caress those guys?

I was...just making fun of the moral majority types that've been spouting bullshit about gays being secret gateway pedophiles for decades?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

frankenfreak posted:

We're laughing at that first panel - for now.

I'm pretty sure Trump's promised to test that for 2020.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Didn’t he just do this joke?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zesty posted:

Didn’t he just do this joke?

Drunky Duck summed up in one sentence.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Duke Igthorn posted:

I like that Ramirez's indistinguishable blob is a better Trump than his Trump

I'll be goddamned, that's a pretty good catch.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how did bill leak react to the yes winning the australian referendum

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kurtofan posted:

It went back in time and killed him in March.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Kurtofan posted:

If he'd be still alive, he'd just redraw his waffen-ssm cartoon.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Lurdiak posted:

I googled "Killed by a rainbow" to see if there was anything good to post, and, errr, that's rainbow six games and a lot of ponies getting mutilated.

Edit: Trying Bing.com removed the rainbow six games, now it's just pony torture. I am not sure if that makes Bing better or worse.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 18, 2017

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Oh god, why do I always find out about beloved childhood celebrity deaths in this thread?? :gonk:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Lurdiak posted:

that drat gaystapo, always one step ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

JaggerMcDagger posted:

quote:

Rall v. LA Times: Now They Want Me To Pay Them $340,000
November 9, 2017
Hi, hope you’re enjoying the fall weather!
Here’s the latest on Rall v. LA Times.
As you may recall, the Times won their anti-SLAPP motion against me in LA Superior Court, and we are appealing that to the Court of Appeals.
We’re optimistic, but in the meantime the Times has filed their attorneys’ fees with the Court and is demanding that I pay them $340,000. That’s right — the LA Times defamed me, and now they’re abusing the law to try to bankrupt me!
There’s a court hearing about the Times’ insane legal bills on November 20; if you’d like to attend please let me know.
Among the highlights:
Times lawyer Kelli Sager charges $705 an hour to defend them against the people they libel, instead of simply publishing a retraction and an apology for their lies. No wonder newspapers are in financial trouble!
One of the defendant corporate entities, Tribune Media, ceased to relate to newspapers in a complicated restructuring that my previous lawyer didn’t know about. Sager was supposed to tell my former lawyer; that’s standard legal ethics. She didn’t. Yet she is billing more than $30,000 just defending that defendant…when she could simply have told my lawyer for the cost of a phone call.
If the Times wins on November 20th, they will likely go after the $75,000 bond posted in 2016 as a result of a previous court order. If that happens and I prevail at appeal, we’ll get it back.
Thank you for your support and, if you’ve been following the fight between Disney and the LA Times, remember: the LA Times are not First Amendment heroes.

Tedd Rall wasn't that smart. I once debated with him that his lawsuit against the LA Times was stupid, that he'd clearly been lying the whole time. He kept point to his own massively inflated sense of self-importance, which I didn't dispute.

• Locked thread