Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Oh drink up Lone Wolf! Don't you have immunity to poison anyway? Or wait, was that Avenger?

Also:

quote:

[...] you recognize the weapons [...] the inventions for which these ingenious artisans are justly famous throughout Magnamund.
[...] The primitive guns have claimed only one victim, but nevertheless, they have driven off the enemy and saved the skyship from disaster.

So they're ingenious and famed inventions, but also Lone Wolf thinks of them as "primitive"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Just fourth wall breaking. They're primitive to the reader.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

Shall we stop to search the guard's body or leave it and just head straight for the Itikar pens?

Among other factors, with Healing we should always take any opportunity to add another numbered section / +1 EP before moving to the next actual event.

Tiggum posted:

For a long time I thought that dwarf had a feather stuck through his forehead, but it's actually a hat.

I still can't see it as a hat.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Not taking the drink would be like not looting, loot that alcohol

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

We have a thirst for strong drink and we wish to slake it

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Thank god we’ve finally encountered Banedon. Avoiding talking about him kinda limited my ability to update the thread in parallel with Legends of Lone Wolf. Now I can talk fully explore tangential characters like Viveka, Qinefer, Alyss, and how Lone Wolf legit dies in the third novel.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ratatozsk posted:

Now I can talk fully explore tangential characters like Viveka,
Wait, she shows up again? I thought she was just along for the carriage ride in book 2

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A hard earned thirst needs a big cold beer and the best cold beer is Bor-brew.

Shadow on the Sand posted:

The ale is thick and creamy, with a taste like malted apples. You lower the half-empty tankard and wipe away the froth from your lips with your sleeve.

The dwarves continue their meal, pausing only to light large hooded pipes. Through the bluish hue of the pipe smoke that clouds the low cabin roof, you notice that they are casting nervous glances at you, as if you might explode at any moment.

After five minutes have passed, Nolrim raises his tankard and proclaims a toast: ‘To Lone Wolf—a man among dwarves!’

The dwarves guffaw at Nolrim’s wry toast and raise their tankards in a salute to your courage and fortitude. The Bor-brew has loosened their tongues, and they are eager to tell you of their past exploits.

You learn that the dwarves were once the crew of a more conventional vessel, a merchantman that sailed the Tentarias of southern Magnamund. The Tentarias is a vast expanse of lakes and land-locked seas, which connect to form a continuous canal stretching nearly three thousand miles. They were created, as was the Rymerift of Durenor, by a massive landslide. Three years ago, the dwarves’ former captain, a dwarf named Quan, lost his ship, cargo, and crew whilst gambling at cards; it seems the unfortunate captain was unaware of Banedon’s true profession until it was far too late. As a result, Banedon became the dwarves’ captain, and ever since they have adventured with him across the lands and skies of Southern Magnamund. The Skyrider itself was given to Banedon by the Magicians of Dessi, in return for his help in defeating the Gagadoth—a monstrous creature that terrorized their land, over which their own sorcery could not prevail.

The Skyrider was travelling from Dessi on its way to Barrakeesh when you appeared. The dwarves have overheard your talk with Banedon and are excited by the prospects of a new adventure. They seem undaunted by the deadly dangers that it will certainly involve.

The fatigue of your ordeal finally catches up with you; you are finding it impossible to keep your eyes open. Nolrim shows you to a bunk in the hull of the Skyrider. Gratefully you climb into bed and pull the blankets over your aching limbs. Nolrim apologizes that the bunk is too short, but his words fall on deaf ears—you are already asleep. Restore 2 ENDURANCE points for this much needed rest.

You wake shortly after dawn to the sound of snoring dwarves and the low hum of the Skyrider. Gathering your equipment, you climb on deck to find everything in shadow, for the Skyrider is hovering beneath a massive outcrop of sandstone that juts out from the side of a mountain, thousands of feet above the valley floor below. Banedon stands at the helm, but he is no longer in a trance.

‘Kraan-riders,’ he says, pointing to the sun-bleached valley beyond the shadows. ‘They arrived with the dawn.’

You stare out across this alien landscape, a mountain valley filled with pillars of massive and precariously balanced boulders. The Vassagonians call this place the Koos—‘the needles’. The rocky columns reach so high into the sky that an avalanche seems unavoidable. Perched upon two of the columns are Kraan, their Drakkarim riders scouring the valley with telescopes. An hour passes before they take to the air and disappear.

‘Trim the boom-sail, Bo’sun Nolrim,’ orders Banedon, his voice barely audible above the increasing hum of the Skyrider. ‘We’ve a fast run ahead.’

The voyage through the Koos is breathtaking. The Skyrider glides between the towers of rock that rise from the valley floor with fantastic and unearthly grandeur. Far below, sulphurous water bubbles from fissures in the orange ground and streams of hissing lava carve circular channels, which glow like moats of liquid fire. You watch the sky, but there are no signs of the enemy.

‘Ikaresh,’ says Banedon pensively. ‘ “The Eagle’s Lair”. That is where we will find Tipasa the Wanderer. It is the place of his birth and the home of his family. He roams the Dry Main, but he always returns to Ikaresh.’

It is late afternoon when you reach the hills beyond the Koos that overlook the town of Ikaresh. Banedon moors the Skyrider to a pinnacle of stone, and a rope ladder is lowered to the ground. It has been decided that you and he will enter Ikaresh on foot and locate Tipasa, while Nolrim and the crew wait in hiding for you to return—the sight of the Skyrider hovering above the mountain town would be sure to arouse unwanted interest in your arrival.

You and Banedon prepare yourselves for your mission by staining your skins with brown copalla berries and dressing in the grey and white robes commonly worn by the mountain people of this region. You bid farewell to Nolrim and set off across the barren hills.

You trudge through the loose red sand, your faces covered to protect them from the dust and the blazing heat. The landscape is stark and desolate; all that seems to thrive here is the wire-hard grass that scratches your boots and leggings. You soon come across a dried river bed that leads to a cave in the orange sandstone hillside. A wooden plaque is nailed by the mouth of the cave, but you are unable to understand the strange words painted on its sun-blistered surface.
Shall we investigate the cave or ignore it and continue on to Ikaresh?

Whenever Bor-brew comes up in these books it makes me think that Joe Dever doesn't know how alcohol works.

We'd have to have been very unlucky to experience any negative effects. If you roll below 7 then you pass out, but we got to add 2 for having more than 25 EP and another 3 for having played all the preceding books, which left us with only a 20% chance of failure. On the other hand, if your current EP is below 15 and you've played fewer books then you subtract 2 instead, leaving you with only a 10% chance of success.

Drinking the ale is completely pointless as well. If you pass the luck roll then you get that bit of backstory, which you also get if you don't drink. If you fail then you skip straight to the next morning.

Jackard posted:

Wait, she shows up again? I thought she was just along for the carriage ride in book 2
In the gamebooks she's just in that one section. You can even kill her. The novels are different.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Drinking always has a point IMO! :D Probably the Scotch/Irish/Italian in me talking.

Check out the Cave.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just press on.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Jackard posted:

Viveka

In Sword of the Sun, she and Lone Wolf develop a platonic friendship on the wagon ride; she easily sees that he's not just some peasant on the road and recognizes that the rock that kills the wagon driver was probably meant for Lone Wolf. They take to calling each other Big Sister and Little Brother which carries on for awhile. When Lone Wolf staggers downstairs after surviving his poison, she quickly susses things out and almost loses an arm to Parsion before Lone Wolf is able to move in and dispatch him.

She later shows up in Durenor after Lone Wolf has picked up the Somerswerd and he helps heal her arm. She accompanies him on the fleet back to Holmgard but is last seen with a helghast gnawing on her neck on a sinking ship. Point of trivia, she is the daughter of Axim of Durenor, they kinda had a falling out when she killed his nephew for a fee which is fairly understandable.

Now, she's shown up at the start of Sacrifice at Ruanon (equivalent of Chasm of Doom) but I'll need to finish the book and share a bit more context about Qinifer before getting into her exact role.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks Ratazosk. Any further developments in Legends of Lone Wolf regarding the other wagon passengers (Halvorc the Merchant and the two Knights)? Just curious.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Thanks Ratazosk. Any further developments in Legends of Lone Wolf regarding the other wagon passengers (Halvorc the Merchant and the two Knights)? Just curious.

Halvorc dies in a struggle with the Gorn Cove guards roused by the ruckus but Ganon and Dorier are able to eventually placate the town and survive. Haven't run into them again.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks. I read the first Legends of Lone Wolf book when I was a teenager but I don't remember it very well. Never read the others.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Wait Lone Wolf straight up dies in book 3? That sounds like it would really screw with the entire rest of the series.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fumbles posted:

Wait Lone Wolf straight up dies in book 3? That sounds like it would really screw with the entire rest of the series.
Well, we've died five times so far.

anakha posted:

Just press on.
We might have got some useful information, but I'm sure we won't need it.

You follow a path along a dry gully, the bed of an ancient river that once flowed through the mountains. An arid breeze blows eddies of red dust along the banks of dead earth. The white-walled buildings of Ikaresh suddenly appear, and, as the dust settles, you find yourselves standing in a small square close to the open archway of the town’s east gate.

Perched upon a tall basalt monolith in the centre of the square is an eagle—the emblem of this mountain town—cast in bronze. Three bronze arrows are held in its beak, each indicating an exit from the square.
Do we go north towards the Dougga Market, west to the main square, or south along the Avenue of Eagles?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
All adventurers know that when you're in a new town you go either to the pub or to the market and listen to the gossip for plot hooks.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Avenue of Eagles. I like the name.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We've got cash, and we wish to spend it. Market.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

To market to market.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Flyyyy like an eagle(s).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

Flyyyy like an eagle(s).

The delicious smell of freshly brewed jala wafts from an eating-house halfway along the avenue. Chattering voices mingle with the clink of glasses, and the wailing cry of a hungry baby fills the air.
Do we have time to stop for some jala, or should we just keep walking?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sure, get some bread, why not?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Stop and drink the local water(?)

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Let's get a drat fine cup of jala.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inside, the eating house is full of townsfolk, all seated at small stone tables. Ornate hubble-bubble pipes add to the colourful atmosphere as the smokers discuss all kinds of matters. A quarrelsome trio of Ikareshi are lamenting the death of the old Zakhan. Others give voice to various grievances, calling their new leader an ox, a brute, and other such names. In your opinion, they speak too highly of him. Two rough-faced Ikareshi bid you welcome and invite you to share their pipe.
Do we join them or leave?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Join

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Join in local gossip

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:420:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Lets try some jala.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The smoke is cool and fragrant. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of your hosts. Their long coats of Dougga hide are perfumed with a musk that holds no appeal for Sommlending nostrils.

A young girl appears with a tray full of steaming jala cups. ‘1 Crown each,’ she says, as she places the tray upon the table.
Shall we try some jala or leave?

We have 43 Gold Crowns.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Try some jala

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Bottoms up!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Totally get poisonedtry the jala

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
jala, ooh la la

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sure, keep taking weird stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The jala tastes as good as it smells and, after your dusty trek through the hills, is a welcome relief to your parched throat. Restore 1 ENDURANCE point.

‘Do you know where we may be able to find a man called Tipasa the Wanderer?’ asks Banedon, successfully hiding his Northland accent with his expert mastery of the Ikareshi dialect.

‘I’m sorry, friend, but I have never heard of this man,’ replies one of the men.

‘You would be wise,’ interrupts the other, ‘to ask the widow Soushilla. There is little in Ikaresh that she does not know.’

‘Where can she be found?’ you ask.

‘At her tavern, of course,’ they reply, simultaneously. ‘Cross Eagle Square and you’ll find it on the way to the Dougga Market.’

You thank the Ikareshi and leave the eating house. Retracing your steps to the square, you set off towards the Dougga Market in search of Soushilla the Widow.

Forty paces along the street is a barracks, a long whitewashed building with ugly square windows. A soldier sits dozing in the evening sun with his spear resting across his lap. Some children are tossing hollowed-out larnuma fruits at him, trying to catch them upon the tip of his spear. Opposite the barracks is a tavern with a line of saddled douggas tied to a rail near the main door. The braying of these sand-horses rivals the sound of revelry drifting from the tavern door.
Shall we try the tavern next, or just keep walking towards the market?

We now have 42 Gold Crowns.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Tavern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let’s see if this is the right tavern... no wait, if it is, we might be forced to skip the market. Market first.