Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
After just under four years, someone apparently realized that sticking Q400's (which constantly broke, were hated by passengers, and had weight and balance issues or "bulked out" with baggage) in Alaska to do nothing but ANC-FAI turns all day was a pretty stupid idea, so our Anchorage base will be shutting down early next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

One drawback to a non-towered airport is dumbshits who don't know what they're doing. I'll never forget sharing the pattern on a December afternoon with a middle-aged Asian guy who decided to turn Base after I'd already called I was on it, meaning he was probably inside my pattern (red flag #1). Sure enough, I raised the wing, and there he was at about my 8 o'clock. Realizing there was a great chance at having an unfortunate meeting of the minds if I turned final (red flag #2), I made sure no other retard was joining the upwind at that point, called a go-around and joined the upwind, and let him land.

Further realizing that he probably was going to do a touch-and-go (red flag #3), you bet your rear end I had my eyes split between what was outside and where he was. At least I'd finished Instrument by that point and was time-building for Commercial, so at least I was able to think fast enough to catch all the red flags; I probably would've shat myself if I were a student pilot.

Point is, at least at a towered airport, there's a better chance for another set of eyes to catch it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
How close were you to be able to determine age and ethnicity? :aaa:

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

I very nearly smeared an ultralight early in my training because he wasn't on ctaf and didn't fly a normal pattern. You're never gonna run into a nordo at a class c. lovely pilots are still lovely pilots though.

To the original question, you should definitely train at both, and any decent instructor will have you do that. I would pick the closer airport, since it will mean you can fly more often, unless the schools are particularly poo poo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

fordan posted:

I’ve legit read tail numbers at uncontrolled airports. Bonus points if there’s a flight club that specializes in rich people that don’t realize being rich has nothing to do with being good at something.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fordan posted:

His accent was very distinctive/difficult at times to understand on the radio and I'd seen him around the FBO before, so I put two and two together. He was in another of the school's 172s. He might even have been leaving as I walked back in after I got done, which confirmed it, I can't remember.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 1, 2017

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rolo posted:

It’s been years since I’ve been familiar with RDU schools, so the only name I know to avoid for certain is ATP because I will never recommend them.

I know the guy who does all the maintenance for the ATP planes at RDU. He's a good mechanic, and has no complaints about their airframes or willingness to pay for repairs, so at least they've got that going for them.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I know the guy who does all the maintenance for the ATP planes at RDU. He's a good mechanic, and has no complaints about their airframes or willingness to pay for repairs, so at least they've got that going for them.

What I preach about ATP is in regards to its instructors: you may get a decent one, you may get a terrible one. The career instructors won’t stay so don’t expect one. Is the gamble worth an absolute shitload of money?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rolo posted:

What I preach about ATP is in regards to its instructors: you may get a decent one, you may get a terrible one. The career instructors won’t stay so don’t expect one. Is the gamble worth an absolute shitload of money?

That probably could be said about most pilot mills, though. I went through 3 in a little over a year trying to finish Private- first guy was shifted to multi flying to finish his time before going to the airlines, second guy was promoted to Base Manager.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The proposed modifications to the 1500 hour rule came out. It's apparently a pilot shortage and a pay shortage now:

quote:

The latest recommendations to modify the 1,500-hour rule come from the FAA's Air Carrier Training Advisory Rulemaking Committee. The ARC is recommending two separate approaches for pilots seeking a restricted Airline Transport Pilot certificate.

One would give candidates a uniform 250-hour credit for completing an "air carrier enhanced qualification program." This plan would reduce the flight time hour requirement for military pilots from 750 hours to 500; for pilots with a bachelor's degree from 1,000 hours to 750; and for pilots with an associate's degree from 1,250 hours to 1,000. The Air Line Pilots Association, which has resisted efforts to create alternative pathways to help pilots meet the 1,500-hour requirement, endorsed the recommendation.

The ARC also came up with a more aggressive recommendation to give pilots different levels of credit for completing an air carrier-sponsored training course. This so-called "variable credit" approach would reduce the requirement for military pilots from 750 to 500; for pilots with a bachelor's degree from 1,000 hours to 500; and for pilots with an associate's degree from 1,200 hours to 500.

So Option 1 creates 250 imaginary hours, but lowers the required flight time overall. Option 2 would allow a substantial (in some cases) discount by doing company-backed training. I guess all of it would come down to execution and monitoring.

e- Also, colleges with an aviation program that don't own their own flight school (and, thus, are ineligible for R-ATP) are turbofucked marketing-wise unless they tweak R-ATP eligibility somehow, especially without a Cadet Program or similar incentive to go there.

http://www.aviationnews.net/index.cfm?do=headline&news_ID=269199

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 7, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
They really should just reduce R-ATP to 750 hours and keep the rest the same.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I wonder how many aspiring ATP's are out there with between 500 and 1500 hours. Not sure if this will be a temporary fix like raising the retirement age was, or it'll loosen up the supply of pilots enough for the regionals to go back to paying first year FO's 25k.

The status quo is clearly doomed regardless, it benefits nobody but pilots.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

sanchez posted:

I wonder how many aspiring ATP's are out there with between 500 and 1500 hours. Not sure if this will be a temporary fix like raising the retirement age was, or it'll loosen up the supply of pilots enough for the regionals to go back to paying first year FO's 25k.

The status quo is clearly doomed regardless, it benefits nobody but pilots.

I have to wonder if there's some behind-the-scenes deal where the hour concessions are exchanged for the maintaining of raised salaries with the condition that they unleash the Sully for a PR crusade if the regionals don't play ball. ALPA flipped from "No, it's a pay shortage" to "Actually, you know what, we'll reduce the hours, that's cool" really fast.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Well, gently caress.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

CBJSprague24 posted:

I have to wonder if there's some behind-the-scenes deal where the hour concessions are exchanged for the maintaining of raised salaries with the condition that they unleash the Sully for a PR crusade if the regionals don't play ball. ALPA flipped from "No, it's a pay shortage" to "Actually, you know what, we'll reduce the hours, that's cool" really fast.

ALPA does not endorse it.
https://www.alpa.org/news-and-events/news-room/2017-10-26-statement-faa-release-air-carrier-training-recommendations

That was misleading. ALPA is on the panel, but that statement is hardly an endorsement.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

The Slaughter posted:

ALPA does not endorse it.
https://www.alpa.org/news-and-events/news-room/2017-10-26-statement-faa-release-air-carrier-training-recommendations

That was misleading. ALPA is on the panel, but that statement is hardly an endorsement.

Are they trying to claim that they are the only cause of that safety record? That no other change in design, practice, or procedure anywhere else in the industry could possibly have had an effect too?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Brovine posted:

Are they trying to claim that they are the only cause of that safety record? That no other change in design, practice, or procedure anywhere else in the industry could possibly have had an effect too?

To be fair, I think every group involved in this argument has been full of poo poo in their own way at one point or another, be it intentional or misguided (in the case of the Families). ALPA just conveniently forgets how many of those 1100 fatalities over 20 years were human error fuckups on the part of mainline pilots or issues outside the crew's control.

It's kind of like the argument that there haven't been any passenger fatalities since 2009 being a direct result of 1500. Has it helped? Maybe, but it's ignoring the fact air travel in the US was incredibly safe to begin with.

e- Part of the flaw in many of the counterarguments I see is the assumption they'd go right back to 250TT hires and nobody can (or wants to see) any other way to compromise. Neither of those offer that as an option.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 12, 2017

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
"Confirm?"
"Nope"
*hits execute anyway*
*plane starts flying toward wrong fix*

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

vessbot posted:

"Confirm?"
"Nope"
*hits execute anyway*

“Heading select please, right turn to 160°”
“ROGER”
*flight director starts turning left*

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Animal posted:

“Heading select please, right turn to 160°”
“ROGER”
*flight director starts turning left*

I don't get it, was it one of those where the specified direction is the long way around?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

vessbot posted:

I don't get it, was it one of those where the specified direction is the long way around?

Yep.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Ah. I'm kinda spoiled by my plane that turns whichever way you spin the bug, no matter what. But most of the time I superstitiously still stop short of 180 and let it catch up some, before finishing. (Maybe I'll start trusting it just in time to get into something else, that'll turn the wrong way)

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
+1 instrument pilot as of today. I hope no checkride is ever that stressful again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

a patagonian cavy posted:

+1 instrument pilot as of today. I hope no checkride is ever that stressful again.

Congrats!

I'm hoping to get mine done in the next month or so, most especially because my instructor just got hired to fly Lears at a local charter company and will probably be gone in another few weeks.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Another goon working on Instrument. Hoping to be done around January (Probably March more realistically)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/navy-acknowledges-aircrew-drew-a-penis-in-the-sky-over-washington/article/2641024

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The 3-star airboss had to make a public statement about the #skydick.

That guy is hosed.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The only reason why that guy is hosed is because in TYOOL 2017 the entire loving species seems to have lost it's sense of humor.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

overdesigned posted:

The 3-star airboss had to make a public statement about the #skydick.

That guy is hosed.

The public statement should have been "The US Navy executes precision maneuvers which, when closely chained, can seem to form images in the sky. Any resemblance to a floppy-eared elephant is unintentional."

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

vessbot posted:

"Confirm?"
"Nope"
*hits execute anyway*

"Uhhhhhhh" seems to work a lot better than "nope" or "that's wrong."

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Playing it in my head, sounds plausible...

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

I was just chatting to the captain I was working with today about checkrides and stress. I thought I was done with tearing my hair out with stress when I passed the MEIR ride. But honestly the lead up to my final sim check for the 737 type had me crawling up walls with it. Then the final line check for my line release was no problem, just what I'd call normal amounts of stress.

He assured me that these things get easier with time though, he recently did his command upgrade and found the stress levels of it to be manageable.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

If you give me more info I'll update the OP

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³
Traded in my commercial helicopter certificate for an ATP-H this week. I suppose it's time to start thinking about a fixed wing addon. Any recommendations for flight training in the Fort Worth area?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

AWSEFT posted:

If you give me more info I'll update the OP

PPL+instrument in the USA.

and if my plan works out, commercial in about two weeks

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Well it looks like the Endeavor TA passed :homebrew:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saw this in the PYF Funny Images thread, surprised it wasn't from here...

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Rickety Cricket posted:

Congrats, man. Any idea who's next? According to my e-mails, the Spirit guys are going through some issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

But the payroll department misread the identifier and accidentally paid Envoy instead