Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wildtortilla posted:

Oh he's the dude wanting to fight 100 knights! Yes I dealt with him. I think I talked him out of it.

It's good that you spared him. If you go back and check the notice board at crow's perch there is a note from a man saying his four year old daughter Bilberry has died. Ronvid is likely the father, now depressed and seeking death to honour "maid bilberry".
It's quite sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's good that you spared him. If you go back and check the notice board at crow's perch there is a note from a man saying his four year old daughter Bilberry has died. Ronvid is likely the father, now depressed and seeking death to honour "maid bilberry".
It's quite sad.

Or he's pals with Roy Moore and is a piece of poo poo.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Or he's pals with Roy Moore and is a piece of poo poo.

What could you possibly hope to gain from implying that some videogame character might want to gently caress a 4 year old?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's quite sad.

They most likely just didn't notice they used the name twice, to be honest, because otherwise they *really* didn't do a good job at suggesting that something might be hiding under the guy's facade.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

What could you possibly hope to gain from implying that some videogame character might want to gently caress a 4 year old?

It's the Witcher. :colbert:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Bust Rodd posted:

I have only played this game on Death March and I loving hate the Ciri sections because blinksmackblinksmackblinksmack is not engaging or fun and is what I think about when people complain about Witcher combat

It doesn't always work as intended but Ciri's "hold down button to gib everyone" ability is a great way to let off steam.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

It doesn't always work as intended but Ciri's "hold down button to gib everyone" ability is a great way to let off steam.

on death march it's more of a "hold down button to kill ciri"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bust Rodd posted:

Geraldo of Riviera would be a better Witcher protagonist

I want this as a mod now

Bust Rodd posted:

I have only played this game on Death March and I loving hate the Ciri sections because blinksmackblinksmackblinksmack is not engaging or fun and is what I think about when people complain about Witcher combat

mostly people say it should all be more like the ciri sections

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Next Witcher game should be a joint venture with Platinum Games.

NieR: Geralt

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the witcher is good as hell

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Next Witcher game should be a joint venture with Platinum Games.

NieR: Geralt

No, the next witcher shouldn't be poo poo.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I appreciated the end of Hearts of Stone as a cautionary tale, and not only did I not spare the bastard, I didn't want any type of reward of any sort after that.

I felt that there's always a catch, and I went with my gut. No game really does that for me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont give a crap about Von Everec but poor Iris, there isnt really a happy ending for her doesnt It?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm so annoyed with my computer right now. I've been busting my rear end all week to carve out a few hours to play this today and now the game has no sound when I boot it up and when I load my game the screen goes black. I'm verifying my files with Steam and if this doesn't fix my problem I may throw my computer out the window.

update: 14 files were hosed up and steam re-downloaded them. Now the game won't launch, presumeably because of some of my mods:

Error [modfriendlyhud]game\gui\main_menu\ingamemenu.ws(309): Could not find function 'RefreshMainMenuAfterContentLoaded'

Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(30): Global native function 'EnableDebugOverlayFilter' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(32): Global native function 'EnableDebugPostProcess' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\showflags.ws(11): Global native function 'DebugSetEShowFlag' was not exported from C++ code.

I tried re-merging the script files with Witcher Script Merger and now I have it down to just the first Error:

Error [modfriendlyhud]game\gui\main_menu\ingamemenu.ws(309): Could not find function 'RefreshMainMenuAfterContentLoaded'

I'm really not sure where to go from here. :(

Maybe uninstalling my mods with NMM and reinstalling them...

update2: I completely removed Friendly HUD and redid my script merges and the problem is fixed. Now hopefully reinstalling Friendly HUD won't break things again.

update3: after reinstalling Friendly HUD I'm back to:

Sigh. The game was working great without Friendly HUD but I miss the mod's features. :(

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 17, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

DoctorGonzo posted:

I dont give a crap about Von Everec but poor Iris, there isnt really a happy ending for her doesnt It?

Letting her move on is fairly positive, I guess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mods?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

I really wanted her to tell me to end it but she didn't, and so forever she'll be stuck.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I think she does if you pick the right dialogue options, though maybe you might have to offer first? You can definitely do it though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

I appreciated the end of Hearts of Stone as a cautionary tale, and not only did I not spare the bastard, I didn't want any type of reward of any sort after that.

I felt that there's always a catch, and I went with my gut. No game really does that for me.

Eh, the difference is that Olgierd can (and least says he will) change and try to redeem himself. No matter what happens, Gaunter will never stop being a total piece of poo poo. You're enabling him to prey on more people by leaving him unscathed, whereas yes, Olgierd was monstrous, but redemption is always a possibility since you can't change the past.

It's kind of a weird allegory of the death penalty, oddly enough... I've found in my very small sample size (n = maybe 12 or so?) that people who are for it almost universally let him die. The other side is a mixed bag, but that's because more people I know aren't pro death penalty.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Letting her move on is fairly positive, I guess.

The void sounds ominous and the animals from hell are really pushy about it.

In my first playtrought i let mirror man do his thing.
In my second i whooped his rear end.

Still i dont care about the guy, he was a piece of poo poo anyways. But poor Iris, godammit.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

The void sounds ominous and the animals from hell are really pushy about it.

In my first playtrought i let mirror man do his thing.
In my second i whooped his rear end.

Still i dont care about the guy, he was a piece of poo poo anyways. But poor Iris, godammit.

I read this threads opinion of Olgierd and of the Baron. I can't say after playing twice that I think either of these men are as bad as this thread labels them. They did terrible things, but both of them are sorrowful for their actions. The Baron is actively trying to make things right and Olgierd, clear through his wishes, ultimately desires make amends for past wrongs.

Essentially, if you exhibit a desire to be better and to change and feel genuinely bad for what you have done, you're worth more than you know. To do something takes that further.

For Baron, he sacrifices everything to rescue his wife. He hires the best to find them. He also does good for Ciri. A true monster would have tried to take advantage of her in her weakened state.

For Olgierd, his wishes are a clue into his contrition. The first wish is giving his brother the time of his life. He believes this to be impossible because his brother died because of him. But his wish belies a desire to atone for that.

The second is for the Borsodi house. He states that he wanted revenge, but it's a Robin hood scenario. Part of him feels bad for all the plundering, pillaging and general debauchery he spent his life and fortune doing. I think this evidences his desire to improve the world.

His final wish is for his wife's favorite flower. An impossible wish, so he believes. We learn that this was her most treasured possession and represents when their relationship was better and when Olgierd was his true self. We can assume that Olgierd longs for the same from this and from the flashbacks of his efforts to break the promise.

Basically, if a person feels remorse for their actions and are trying to make it better, they're worth the benefit of the doubt. I like them both, and hope that they both make amends with their new lives. Both have endings that suggest they do.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

No, man, there can be NO FORGIVENESS for people's wrongs, didn't you know? All criminals should be put to death.

Also you should spoiler text that stuff, still have newbies playing.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I notice the new Assassin's Creed thread title equates it to Witcher 3 & Horizon Zero Dawn. To those who've played AC:O, would you say that's accurate? I haven't played HZD yet (I know, I know) but was curious about the W3 comparison. True or gamer hyperbole?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hobo Clown posted:

I notice the new Assassin's Creed thread title equates it to Witcher 3 & Horizon Zero Dawn. To those who've played AC:O, would you say that's accurate? I haven't played HZD yet (I know, I know) but was curious about the W3 comparison. True or gamer hyperbole?

I have not played it yet but a buddy of mine says it mimics the quest structure and overall feel a lot. He did not say it's just as good but it scratches the itch like HZD did.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didnt like HZD and still havent finished and Olgierd is a piece of poo poo. The baron was an sick man with ptsd and alcohilism. I wish we could have had a happy ending for Iris

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
AC:O seems to be heading in that direction, story is more coherent in general and side quests are often interesting.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

update3: after reinstalling Friendly HUD I'm back to:

Sigh. The game was working great without Friendly HUD but I miss the mod's features. :(
You need the Unification Patch.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

I've completed both TW3 and HZD and while AC:O is a very fun game that is a big jump forward for AC that takes a lot of inspiration from TW3, it is not as good as either of those games. But that's not saying much, those are two of the best games in their genre in recent years. AC:O is a very, very good game in its own right though and well worth playing.

The usual ubisoft time wasting filler content is now mostly gone; the combat is vastly improved; side quests are unique, non-repetitive, and worth your time; the world is beautiful and interesting; lots of improvements. The writing and characterization are not up to either of the two games though it is still better than most.

The big knock is that it probably won't be easily moddable given ubisoft's lovely track record so it won't get the mods to fix its gameplay issues like TW3 did (Ghost Mode for eg) - that's if you thought it had issues to begin with. HZD is superb out of the box, no mods needed. AC:O is a game that would really benefit from mods to tweak it. It's really large enough to really benefit from community changes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Olgierd is essentially a guy with a brain tumor.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really like the final choice in HoS because it's not a moral choice, it's a philosophical one. Basically forces you to demonstrate whether you believe whether a bad person can change and if they deserve the opportunity to try.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

I installed that weeks ago. I played for about 45 hours without any problems. I think it was my computer. It's needed to be formatted for well over a year and I kept putting it off. I spent my day installing Windows 10. My next effort will be getting TW3 working again.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fuzz posted:

No, man, there can be NO FORGIVENESS for people's wrongs, didn't you know? All criminals should be put to death.

It is really odd how many people in this thread don’t gently caress with redemption and forgiveness, especially when its one of the major driving force of half the game’s narratives.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Really the only character who doesn't deserve a second chance is the cat witcher, who admits that he flies off the handle pretty regularly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Really the only character who doesn't deserve a second chance is the cat witcher, who admits that he flies off the handle pretty regularly.

Radovid?

There are several irredeemable pieces of poo poo, but the consistent thread in their irredeemability is that they don't think they're a total piece of poo poo and/or they blame it on others instead of taking responsibility for their actions. Olgierd knows full well he's terrible and takes full responsibility for all of it, he just doesn't care because he's unable to.

He's literally a guy with a brain tumor.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

you save olgierd because if you don't then the literal devil gets to keep on keeping on in the world.

but also you probably should kill whoreson junior. and maybe the cat witcher depending on your feelings of village murder.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 18, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

Radovid?

There are several irredeemable pieces of poo poo, but the consistent thread in their irredeemability is that they don't think they're a total piece of poo poo and/or they blame it on others instead of taking responsibility for their actions. Olgierd knows full well he's terrible and takes full responsibility for all of it, he just doesn't care because he's unable to.

He's literally a guy with a brain tumor.

Oh yeah, Radovid too.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
lol if you think you can actually ever really win over the master of mirrors

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I am on the other side of a fresh windows install, my saves are working, and my mods are all working again! Rejoice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
p sure im gonna play this again soon

what mods should i do

orv did the op and im not gonna read it to spite him