Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Assault Cannon or Lascannon Tarantulas for a 2k Primaris Brigade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

raverrn posted:

The asscans are better in a vacuum, but what a primaris force is missing is anti-tank, so you should take the lascannons.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Which unit do you guys generally prefer, Warp Spiders or Swooping Hawks? I feel like while the Hawks have weight of dice on their side in dealing with infantry and potential for mortal wounds every turn, Warp Spiders have more mobility and durability and their guns can handle higher toughness targets better, plus they look way cooler.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Which unit do you guys generally prefer, Warp Spiders or Swooping Hawks? I feel like while the Hawks have weight of dice on their side in dealing with infantry and potential for mortal wounds every turn, Warp Spiders have more mobility and durability and their guns can handle higher toughness targets better, plus they look way cooler.

They're actually both really cool sculpts imo

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
They serve different purposes, ideally you'd run both.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

They're actually both really cool sculpts imo

Ghost Miniatures make awesome versions of both units.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
For either the idea is to have something that can shred infantry and at the same time being mobile enough to do whatever I want with them (run for an objective, go across the board to help out a flank, etc) and not easy to remove (Alaitoc attribute and Fire and Fade to help with this). Both units seem to fit the bill nicely to me unless I'm missing something.

Edit:

bonds0097 posted:

Ghost Miniatures make awesome versions of both units.

Just checked them out and you're not kidding, those minis are gorgeous. Are they reliable to buy from?

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 17, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

It surely is. However, Las-rippers only have a 24" range. I think a smart player would try to make sure the Stormraven would be out of range.

2 of them would mirror a quad lascannon in terms of damage. It wouldn't be a huge upgrade.

A 48" diameter bubble is pretty hard to avoid in a 6'x4' table, especially given that the tank can move 12" and is a flyer.

I'm more concerned about how well the tank performs against harder targets, like another super-heavy tank. The 5+ save significantly improves it's ability to survive, but you're still talking about weapons that can deal an incredible number of wounds.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Mr. Funktastic posted:

For either the idea is to have something that can shred infantry and at the same time being mobile enough to do whatever I want with them (run for an objective, go across the board to help out a flank, etc) and not easy to remove (Alaitoc attribute and Fire and Fade to help with this). Both units seem to fit the bill nicely to me unless I'm missing something.

Edit:

Just checked them out and you're not kidding, those minis are gorgeous. Are they reliable to buy from?

Yeah, they've been around a while. Can take a bit but I've bought from them. Have an open order fo r the shining spears and swooping hawks atm. Their casting quality is great too with tons of options for all the squad leaders.

EDIT: Both times I've bought from them they've shipped and provided a tracking number within 48 hours.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 17, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

raverrn posted:

Assault Cannons have no limitation on what they can shoot. While the Lascannon is more effective against tanks (58% points efficient against a Land Raider), the AC Tarantula is one of the most points efficient weapons against everything else (53%-59% efficient against Gaunts, Orks, Marines, and Terminators). The AC is about 33% points efficient against Land Raiders. To put that into context a RF Overcharged Hellblaster at short range is 75% points efficient, a Grav-cannon Devastator Marine is 64% points efficient, and a Lascannon Devastator Marine is 61% points efficient.

In other words the solution is to field both.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Mr. Funktastic posted:

it depends on what you're facing, hawks are only good vs. light infantry with T3. spiders aren't great vs. MEQ per se but they can put wounds on higher toughness things, i guess. they're also more mobile and can jump out of melee while shooting, whereas the hawks can put a couple of mortal wounds on something if they're lucky.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'm thinking about going to AdeptiCon for the first time and registration starts tomorrow. Anyone have recommendations on what the coolest poo poo to do there is?

I plan on doing the 40k Gentlemen's on Thursday, the 40k Friendly (not actually friendly) on Friday and then Blood Bowl over the weekend. Come play, my lord.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm planning on signing up for the Gentlemen's 40k Tournament. From the description, it seems more the speed of what I want to play.

kommisar posted:

Same here, most likely the Thursday one and the not so friendly on Friday.

Everybody do exactly this.

Also, I love that loving Astraeus. I'm just sayin', but it would look fantastic in Raven Guard black...

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Also, I love that loving Astraeus. I'm just sayin', but it would look fantastic in Raven Guard black...

I can't wait to see it in bright red.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Phyresis posted:

it depends on what you're facing, hawks are only good vs. light infantry with T3. spiders aren't great vs. MEQ per se but they can put wounds on higher toughness things, i guess. they're also more mobile and can jump out of melee while shooting, whereas the hawks can put a couple of mortal wounds on something if they're lucky.

True, mathhammer wise I feel like Hawks can compare to Spiders in killing MEQs just by how many shots they can put out plus the mortal wounds they might inflict but their preferred targets are definitely GEQs. Spiders seem more versatile/survivable to me even if they're more expensive and have half the range.

Might have to drop a Hemlock on my list to make room for them, as an aside are two Hemlocks overkill? An extra source of smite/Jinx and those Heavy D-Scythes seem too good to ignore...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I want a super heavy, and I am just torn between Astraeus and Falchion.

Edit: vvvvvvvv I think this is exactly the feedback I needed. I am ordering a Falchion when i get home.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 17, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dexefiend posted:

I want a super heavy, and I am just torn between Astraeus and Falchion.

Well the Falchion owns and the Astraeus looks like a floating garbage barge so choose wisely.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Mr. Funktastic posted:

True, mathhammer wise I feel like Hawks can compare to Spiders in killing MEQs just by how many shots they can put out plus the mortal wounds they might inflict but their preferred targets are definitely GEQs. Spiders seem more versatile/survivable to me even if they're more expensive and have half the range.

Might have to drop a Hemlock on my list to make room for them, as an aside are two Hemlocks overkill? An extra source of smite/Jinx and those Heavy D-Scythes seem too good to ignore...

Hemlocks are super good, I prefer them to Crimson Hunters because you can get bright lances everywhere but a flying psyker with insanely powerful guns is hard to pass up. Two Fire Prisms can handle a lot of the main anti-vehicle work

Of course, Crimson Hunters are great as well, they're pretty cheap for the amount of high-strength shooting they provide

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 17, 2017

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Two Fire Prisms...or 10 Guided Dark Reapers :getin:

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I’m higher on hawks mostly because of how cheap they are for filling out fast attack options for a brigade and because plenty of Eldar stuff is good against quality infantry (which is where you want to point spiders) whereas hawks are probably the best value anti-horde unit on the list. Spiders look fine and I’d definitely test them if I had the models, their high survivability is certainly attractive but I currently prefer just fielding more models rather than investing in high survival options.

Basically, I think almost every army should be running at least one unit of hawks while spiders are merely a great option, so if you’re buying in, I’d pick the hawks.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just can't imagine the Hawks doing that much damage, honestly, and plenty of games where they don't have a good target.

I've never really used them because I hate the models, so I'm not sure that I'm that effective with them.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The Ghost minis range is really cool, the jet bike Warlocks and the Shining Spears are particularly great.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

ineptmule posted:

The Ghost minis range is really cool, the jet bike Warlocks and the Shining Spears are particularly great.

Is it a pretty reputable site? Those are nice but I'm hesitant ordering from Russia.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Swooping Hawks are the best and coolest Aspect. You haters need to rethink some things.

Flying around dropping bombs and leaving when you want is really helpful, and they are cheap enough where if they draw fire for the chaos they can cause that is less shots going into something important.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Sykic and I mathhammered the Hawks out and they kill a lot fewer GEQ than I thought they would. I'm too lazy to reproduce the results, but they weren't bad by ANY measure, and also we were theorycrafting against a commissar blob, which obviously doesn't even exist anymore.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Mef989 posted:

Is it a pretty reputable site? Those are nice but I'm hesitant ordering from Russia.

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, they've been around a while. Can take a bit but I've bought from them. Have an open order for the shining spears and swooping hawks atm. Their casting quality is great too with tons of options for all the squad leaders.

Both times I've bought from them they've shipped and provided a tracking number within 48 hours.

Artel miniatures, also in Russia, is also great with some neat one offs including an awesome female farseer from Dawn of War.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

bonds0097 posted:

What do you mean by out in the cold? You can still use the index entry and cost the wargear per the codex.

But which version of the Path of Command would he get is the part I'm a bit confused about, I guess the Index one? Also, the Warp Spiders got extra deep strike rules (with a random chance of death though) that the Autarch doesn't have.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I mean, a unit of 5 against T3, 4+ save models outside of cover will do 3.33 wounds and an additional .83 mortal wounds. A 5 man unit of Spiders against the same targets do 3.85. Roughly equivalent damage against the target but loses on the mortal wound. Spiders are generally better against targets with a T between 4 and 7 and they're roughly equivalent against anything T8 or higher if you include the grenades. Hawks are better against any T3 unit, irrespective of the save.

T3, 3+
Hawks: 2.21 + .83
Spiders: 2.87

T3, 2+
Hawks: 1.12 + .83
Spiders: 1.62

T4, 4+
Spiders: 3.85

T4, 3+
Hawks: 1.45 + .83
Spiders: 2.70

T8, 3+
Hawks: .73 + .83
Spiders: 1.336

So really the issue is more about mobility and survival. Hawks can redeploy while Spiders are actually faster (19" average) and are far more survivable. Though Hawks are cheaper by 25.

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 17, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Xarlaxas posted:

But which version of the Path of Command would he get is the part I'm a bit confused about, I guess the Index one? Also, the Warp Spiders got extra deep strike rules (with a random chance of death though) that the Autarch doesn't have.

He'd get the codex path of command. Because path of command is a rule in the codex and its codex definition supersedes the definition in the index.

Regarding deepstrike, dunno. That probably needs a faq. If I were playing, I'd let you use the Warp Strike rule but you still roll 2d6 and on a roll of 2, bye bye autarch. So kind of risky.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Quick question about 40k novels, are there any good xeno books? I'm almost done with Eisenhorn which I'm really enjoying, but kind of want to read an Elder or Tau book if they aren't trash. 40k books seem really hit and miss

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Boon posted:

I mean, a unit of 5 against T3, 4+ save models outside of cover will do 3.33 wounds and an additional .83 mortal wounds. A 5 man unit of Spiders against the same targets do 3.85. Roughly equivalent damage against the target but loses on the mortal wound. Spiders are generally better against targets with a T between 4 and 7 and they're roughly equivalent against anything T8 or higher if you include the grenades. Hawks are better against any T3 unit, irrespective of the save.

T3, 3+
Spiders: 2.87

T3, 2+
Hawks: 1.12 + .83
Spiders: 1.62

T4, 4+
Spiders: 3.85

T4, 3+
Hawks: 1.45 + .83
Spiders: 2.70

T8, 3+
Hawks: .73 + .83
Spiders: 1.336

So really the issue is more about mobility and survival. Hawks can redeploy while Spiders are actually faster (19" average) and are far more survivable.

Wouldn't doing point equivalency make more sense in comparing them model for model? In this case 6 Hawks and and Exarch with a Hawk's Talon are 94 pts while 4 Spiders and an Exarch with Two Death Spinners are 98 pts, a closer comparison. I'd imagine the damage comparison would be closer in that respect.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mef989 posted:

Quick question about 40k novels, are there any good xeno books? I'm almost done with Eisenhorn which I'm really enjoying, but kind of want to read an Elder or Tau book if they aren't trash. 40k books seem really hit and miss

There's a pretty good thread about the BL books over in TBB and the OP is a really good place to start.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494493

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Wouldn't doing point equivalency make more sense in comparing them model for model? In this case 6 Hawks and and Exarch with a Hawk's Talon are 94 pts while 4 Spiders and an Exarch with Two Death Spinners are 98 pts, a closer comparison. I'd imagine the damage comparison would be closer in that respect.

Thought about that and decided no because we're only looking at damage output and not trying to quantify all the other aspects (movement, survivability, Exarch ability, etc...) and because it's most common to see minimum unit sizes. I figure people can weigh the point differential and determine where the value lies

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 17, 2017

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Pendent posted:

There's a pretty good thread about the BL books over in TBB and the OP is a really good place to start.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494493

Awesome, I'll check it out.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I have no input on the math-hammer effectiveness of various models, I would just point out that range is also enormously important in 40k, especially for fragile shooting units with no close combat power.

Boon posted:

I've never really used them because I hate the models, so I'm not sure that I'm that effective with them.

I also ain’t a great fan of the 20 year old sculpts. I can suggest that FW supplies eldar corsair kits, which are expensive and fiddly like all FW stuff, but imo look great. They are add ons to guardian kits, but you can use any set of legs - I used the scourge legs as being appropriate for flying infantry. Alternatively you could treat the FW kit as just a source of guns and maybe heads, and straight up use DE scourge models.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Ghost miniatures also has a 'winged squad' which could easily work as swooping hawks IMO

I ordered a pack of their shining spears a few days ago, glad to hear that others have had good experiences with them.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I got the new Citadel paint handle, it's actually really good.

Here's me review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBP5VO7A70

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I wonder if nu-GW would be open to direct support for new models. Some sort of kickstarter analogue that enables them to query consumer interest and prioritize projects into their development pipeline. Not necessarily money based, but an expression of interest.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

I got the new Citadel paint handle, it's actually really good.

Here's me review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBP5VO7A70

legit good review, im gonna get one. but why are you filming with a potato?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So this evening a friend & regular 40k opponent and I went round a local gaming cafe to play some random people. This place is walking distance from my flat, so I figured it was worth the effort. I’d asked on the place’s Facebook page if anyone was up for a game. Always a bit chancy, but what do I have to lose eh?

Well, it was a reminder of why 40k is a great time with friends but can be uninspiring if you don’t click with the people you play with. These weren’t bad guys, they just had nothing interesting to say, no real banter. We played on the cafe’s tables which were a couple 4x4 GW plastic boards with a few tiny bits and pieces of age of sigmar terrain (for some reason). This is partly the fault of the anaemic terrain rules, but here misogyny as well have been no cover, since it could only really block los to single models! And 1500 pts on a 4x4 is pretty crowded in my book.

I won a rather dull game against a dark angels shooting list featuring the shooty bubble and 4+ invulnerable bubble of their special character. The worst I can say of my opponent was he just seemed to have a lot of misplaced knowledge of the game. He kept thinking weapons were different strengths or ap or damage, he spent a few minutes trying to explain why wound degradation didn’t affect heavy bolsters on his vehicles, only the main gun. Bizarre. Not all stuff in his favour or anything, he just seemed to be confidently playing with the wrong rules.

My friend, though, had a crap evening. We pride ourselves on being good losers when necessary, but I could tell he didn’t enjoy his game at all. He had practically all melee tyranids (his only shooting was S4 and S3) and his opponent pulled out an army consisting of 4 leman Russ tanks (1 tank commander, making it a spearhead detachment) and 2 hellhounds. I’m all for hard armies and bringing your A game, but who arranges a first time meeting pick up game with someone and brings that sort of thing? Tanks were all bare grey plastic, natch.

In summary: we played 40k, but it wasn’t much fun. Does anyone know fun people who like war hammer in the Birmingham area? UK, not USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Are you anywhere near Meeple Mayhem? My friend owns it and might be able to hook you up. Or you went there and I need to tell him to sort his life out, ha.

Otherwise I know a bunch of guys but probably more competitive than you're looking for, and depends where in Brum you are.