Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Squidster posted:

Anytime a movie has human-looking talking robots whose lips/vocalizers could possibly ask "am I reaaaaal?", the metaphor is always discrimination against actual humans. That's the point.

This is why people making the "sentient robots are still just machines that we're superior to" argument in real life make me uncomfortable. Refusal to accept the basic premise (that a thinking, feeling, artificial being is equal to a human) seems not-too-far from refusal to accept that humans of all varieties, social classes, lifestyles, etc. are all equally deserving of respect.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Just because we frame human-like robots as an allegory for race acceptance in our science fictions does not mean actual robots in the future aren't something to be fearful of.

I think they'll grow up to be a lot more fear-inducing if we treat them as inferior beings while they're self-actualizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Depressio111117 posted:

Yo if you watched Wall-E and didn't feel more compassion for the trash robot than the human characters in that film idk what to tell you

That was a cartoon, not an actual thing. In reality if one of my trash robots wanted to gently caress one of my science robots I'd find that interesting but in the end just send them both to maintenance for doing things outside the scope of their job.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Squidster posted:

Hypothetically, if you programmed a AI factory to build paperchlips

I played that game, it didn't end well for the universe.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I feel like some people are taking this robot discussion a lot more seriously than others.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That was a cartoon, not an actual thing. In reality if one of my trash robots wanted to gently caress one of my science robots I'd find that interesting but in the end just send them both to maintenance for doing things outside the scope of their job.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Those are just procedures using the fundamental mechanism of creating a new human, which they did not create. They are just alternative ways of using that process. When you put a processor into a robot body everything is entirely in the human's control.

What about replicating an existing human's brain architecture and putting it into a robot body that looks and feels exactly like a human? Is that a "human"? What if you did that with 3 different people, and had an algorithm which combined the memories/experiences/abilities of those 3 people into a new unique and sentient being? Is that a human?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Pictured: you, the monster ( read right-to-left )

Also, let's never build replicants and find out. We've all seen how these movies end.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Depressio111117 posted:

Yo if you watched Wall-E and didn't feel more compassion for the trash robot than the human characters in that film idk what to tell you

Wall-E was an rear end in a top hat who didn't spare one single thought for his loyal cockroach buddy, the minute some bit of fluff wiggled her rear end he just skipped the gently caress on out of there, left the poor little guy all on his own.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I love how much poo poo you're getting for this, because outside a nerd forum "of course robots dont have rights holy poo poo whats wrong with you?" is a perfectly ordinary stance to take.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only have feelings for our true robot buddy, the Little White Cuck-Ball.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Let's just say in the case of Covenant, Walter had literally saved that bitch's life at least twice before she ran off to join the other idiots. Nah, let's leave him here to fight another droid because it's cool!

Not to mention if the bitch should have known they had the wrong android because the one that got on the ship with them couldn't repair himself. Literally knowing the basics of the droid on their ship would have saved everyone.

gently caress, I remember being terrified after The Brave Little Toaster and for years as a kid, would get upset when we had to throw out an appliance or whatever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress, I remember being terrified after The Brave Little Toaster and for years as a kid, would get upset when we had to throw out an appliance or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBqhIVyfsRg

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Jurassic Bark of commercials

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The worst example of the 'AI is people' has got to be the British TV drama Humans.

You have a bunch of human-appearing robots who are sometimes mistreated by their owners, but who show absolutely no evidence of sentience at all. They have no personality, no emotions, and no ability to act outside of their programming. So naturally the human protagonists, who are appalled by the mistreatment of the machines, decide to release special code that makes all of them develop the ability to think, feel and act for themselves.

For some reason we're meant to root for these motherfuckers, despite the fact that the robots clearly weren't suffering before and they are now. You haven't freed a race from slavery, you've created a new species and simultaneously hosed the labour force of half the planet.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:byodood: "WHY? WHY WAS I PROGRAMMED TO FEEL SUFFERING?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

jabby posted:

The worst example of the 'AI is people' has got to be the British TV drama Humans.

You have a bunch of human-appearing robots who are sometimes mistreated by their owners, but who show absolutely no evidence of sentience at all. They have no personality, no emotions, and no ability to act outside of their programming. So naturally the human protagonists, who are appalled by the mistreatment of the machines, decide to release special code that makes all of them develop the ability to think, feel and act for themselves.

For some reason we're meant to root for these motherfuckers, despite the fact that the robots clearly weren't suffering before and they are now. You haven't freed a race from slavery, you've created a new species and simultaneously hosed the labour force of half the planet.

To be fair the main Synth did have something bigger trapped behind the AI subroutines that kept trying to break out before that happened, so there was more to them than initially thought. Some of them were developing personalities on their own then awakening in really unpleasant situations like the girl who worked at the brothel.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Saw Justice League tonight and while I liked it, I did have one or two minor bitch points. They name all the other heroes, except the Flash. That was just, weird. I might have missed it, but I can't recall him being called that.

Also, I was annoyed that they didn't have the scene in the movie where Clark tells Lois he is gonna take the ring as a Yes from the trailer. They have the overall scene in the movie, but that part is just missing and since it was a pretty big moment for the Superman trailer reveal, it felt odd that it wasn't there.

I think the biggest annoyance I had was they didn't explain where Superman's new suit came from. The old one had a big loving hole in it, but the new one is spiffy and brighter. I'm guessing he flew back to the ship and used it, but still, little weird. I will fully admit to this being a minor nitpick though.

Also, some of the CGI sucks, and the audio mixing was off so during a big speech moment the bad guy was having all you could hear was weapons fire and background noises instead of the dude talking.

Still, LEAGUES (:haw:) above BvS.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I still think it would be a separate class of being.
That is a really weird and creepy way to look at poo poo.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yeah I eat rear end - how would you respond if God came down in a flaming chariot and declared that since he created us he has the right to destroy us? Would you peacefully line up in front of the angel with the flaming sword?

(In this scenario, assume that while god is nigh omnipotent he can't just snap his fingers and eradicate us all. Because if he could do that it wouldn't really matter how you responded)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

jabby posted:

Speaking of the singularity, y'all know robots can do Crossfit now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRj34o4hN4I

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was gonna give Justice League a wait for DVD, much like BvS I imagine the director's cut will put back half the plot that got cut.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah but which director will make the director's cut? That movie was always going to be a mess, especially since it was originally two movies.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Just started watching The Venture Bros. And I'm irrationally irritated by the appalling up and downs in animation quality during the course of a single episode. Also, the changes in animation style (static or expressive) in the same episode for the same character. Also why was Dr. Venture freaking out about his dead sons in E1S2 if he knew they were just going to be cloned up in a matter of weeks?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That Italian Guy posted:

Just started watching The Venture Bros. And I'm irrationally irritated by the appalling up and downs in animation quality during the course of a single episode. Also, the changes in animation style (static or expressive) in the same episode for the same character. Also why was Dr. Venture freaking out about his dead sons in E1S2 if he knew they were just going to be cloned up in a matter of weeks?

They actually hint later that Rusty Venture has a shitton of repressed guilt from the danger he puts his sons through and how many times they've died, but he simply doesn't know any other way to live.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Any excuse to go nuts for a month or two.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

They actually hint later that Rusty Venture has a shitton of repressed guilt from the danger he puts his sons through and how many times they've died, but he simply doesn't know any other way to live.

Pretty much this. I mean, if he didn't care at all about the boys, we'd have no show. His own dad was pretty abusive and neglectful, so I wonder if Rusty himself was ever a clone.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

My absolutely sincere advice to you is just to binge-watch the thing without asking any questions or looking anything up, at least until you've gotten through it once. That show is exceptionally good at playing the long game and tying up loose ends.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Their time between seasons is absurd, though. A baby born during season 1 will be in college by the time they finish season 7. They should team up with GRRM for the ultimate fan blueball. They took six years to make the last 16 episodes. That's 4.5 months per episode.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Nov 17, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

Pretty much this. I mean, if he didn't care at all about the boys, we'd have no show. His own dad was pretty abusive and neglectful, so I wonder if Rusty himself was ever a clone.

Given Jonas Jr was an absorbed twin in the womb who survived until Rusty finally hosed around with enough science to bring him to life I'd say the Rusty we know and love has always been the same Rusty. He had more than one person watching his back, even if Jonas' pack of pet psychos were terrible guardians in every other sense.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Squidster posted:

Also, let's never build replicants and find out. We've all seen how these movies end.
I knew we should have shown him Electrogonorrhea: The Noisy Killer!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Imagined posted:

Their time between seasons is absurd, though. A baby born during season 1 will be in college by the time they finish season 7. They should team up with GRRM for the ultimate fan blueball. They took six years to make the last 16 episodes. That's 4.5 months per episode.

I'm sure CN probably has something to do with the slow turnaround.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair the main Synth did have something bigger trapped behind the AI subroutines that kept trying to break out before that happened, so there was more to them than initially thought. Some of them were developing personalities on their own then awakening in really unpleasant situations like the girl who worked at the brothel.

True, but self-awareness was explained as a completely optional piece of code their creator wrote presumably because he wanted to play God. Without that switch set to 'on' they really were nothing but unthinking machines, which really jarred with the idea that making them conscious was 'freeing' them rather than creating a brand new organism.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I know even halfway decent animation is hellishly laborious and expensive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In Predator, when the predator picks up the dead scorpion, you see it move from red to black in the thermal vision POV. But scorpions are cold blooded and so it wouldn't change temperature after death!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

In Predator, when the predator picks up the dead scorpion, you see it move from red to black in the thermal vision POV. But scorpions are cold blooded and so it wouldn't change temperature after death!

Scorpions are poikilothermic*, meaning they don't maintain a consistent body temperature. They do burn calories for movement though as well as absorbing heat from the sun to get going and avoiding it when it's a little much. They just have a more laissez faire attitude about heat.

*cold-blooded redirects here, essentially

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yea that scorpion was hella hot from the environment and lost heat cause of the cool hand predator

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

When the alien trophy hunter picked up the scorpion, I had a problem with the scorpion.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kramdar posted:

When the alien trophy hunter picked up the scorpion, I had a problem with the scorpion.

:alienfriend_smiley:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kramdar posted:

What, are we supposed to believe it's some sort of special, sci-fi scorpion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

sassassin posted:

What, are we supposed to believe it's some sort of special, sci-fi scorpion?

No, it is a native Earth scorpion on Earth. This actually made me think of a legit gripe, when they use live animals to decorate alien planet sets. I know I have seen examples many times over the years, even in Empire Strikes Back they have that snake on Dagobah.