Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

I haven't seen Hero in years... wonder if it holds up?

I rewatched it recently and I don't think it holds up all that well - still a fun watch but something like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon still feels more timeless to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

And everyone thought he was full of it since he is Tom Baker

This was me. "Oh, OK Tom, sure."

I see the entire special thinking "well Tom was right, they *did* include him in the sequence with "ALL 13".

Then the last 5 minutes comes and :aaaaa:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dollar sale (or whatever the exchange rate is nowadays) at BF!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/99-titles-for-99p

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Gaz-L posted:

I haven't seen Hero in years... wonder if it holds up?

it's a bit ponderous, but the fight scene with donnie yen is still one of the finest in cinema. and it's still miles better than the excruciating house of flying daggers

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

not just "CDs full of showtunes"

piles and piles of unsold Barrowman vanity albums.

Oh don't worry. My wife picked up that slack. We STILL have the musical episode of The Flash on the family DVR because of Barrowman.

And Garber.

And Martin.

Dear God, I married a woman who loves showtunes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Dollar sale (or whatever the exchange rate is nowadays) at BF!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/99-titles-for-99p

Owned almost everything in this, but I snagged I, Davros. That ones a good spinoff, right?

I skipped the Iris Wildthyme stuff though, wasn't impressed with the one release of her's that I do have.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

And everyone thought he was full of it since he is Tom Baker

Hell, even after hearing his voice, I half-expected them to pan over a brand new Madame Tussaud's wax dummy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Owned almost everything in this, but I snagged I, Davros. That ones a good spinoff, right?

I skipped the Iris Wildthyme stuff though, wasn't impressed with the one release of her's that I do have.

Oh yeah, I, Davros is great. There's also a download story only called "The Davros Mission" that was released on the UK Davros Collection DVD boxset.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I, Davros is good and Iris Wildthyme is not, so good choices both ways IMO

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Welp, that's the first 50 main range releases complete - when's the next sale?

:homebrew:

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret a fair few of those, all the Fifth Doctor ones look pretty forgettable, outside Spare Parts of course. Has he had many good Big Finish stories?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry the Sprout posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret a fair few of those, all the Fifth Doctor ones look pretty forgettable, outside Spare Parts of course. Has he had many good Big Finish stories?

The Church and the Crown was okay IMO

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Barry the Sprout posted:

For the first 50, you can't go wrong with Spare Parts, The Eye of the Scorpion, and The Church and the Crown.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

I, Davros is loving great.

And yeah, As much as I love Katy Manning, Iris Wildthyme is kinda bleh.

Barry the Sprout posted:

He's had some good ones, most of his in the first 50 are "good" average, outside of Spare Parts (great!), and Nekromanteia (without hyperbole, one of the worst things BF ever made).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barry the Sprout posted:

Outside Spare Parts, you've got Omega, Loups-Garoux and Creatures of Beauty, which are all loving excellent. Primeval's strong, as is The Church And The Crown.

Later though, you've got a whole lot of great stories. The Kingmaker, The Council of Nicea, Circular Time, Singularity, The Burning Prince, Time In Office, Son Of The Dragon, The Butcher Of Brisbane, The Emerald Tiger, The Jupiter Conjunction and The Destroyer Of Delights. Lots of fun stuff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nekromanteia is definitely in at least the top 2 worst stories made by Big Finish, and the only one that even starts to give it a run for its money is Creed of the Kromon. Both are just vehicles for misery that also leer at the characters in extremely uncomfortable ways. They're never in "so bad it's good" territory, they just make you feel sick.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Nekromanteia is definitely in at least the top 2 worst stories made by Big Finish, and the only one that even starts to give it a run for its money is Creed of the Kromon. Both are just vehicles for misery that also leer at the characters in extremely uncomfortable ways. They're never in "so bad it's good" territory, they just make you feel sick.

I personally think "Nekromanteia" is worse than "Creed" - I can't really remember anything about "Creed" but the fact I can't say the same of "Nekromanteia" is one of the points against it with me.

"Nekromanteia" has the attempted (and I think it go either way on whether it's only attempted or not) rapist getting the happiest ending. What were the corresponding specifics for "Creed"?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Nekromanteia" has the attempted (and I think it go either way on whether it's only attempted or not) rapist getting the happiest ending. What were the corresponding specifics for "Creed"?

The new companion's fiance is abducted on their wedding day. She is forcibly turned into an alien queen (Phillip Martin!), impregnated by alien locusts and the new companion decides to euthanize her. The current companion nearly has the same thing happen to her, but, turns out, it's reversible! Whoops! The climactic finale action involves the Doctor and his new companion sitting in a hole and waiting for an entire episode. It's thrilling.

For what it's worth, that Phillip Martin Ice Warriors story Big Finish did is just as bad. That one has a group of proud warrior women learn the true meaning of marriage.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's the forceful transformation and impregnation thing that makes Creed so disgusting for me, along with the fact that we have to listen to it twice. It's thoroughly unpleasant from start to finish. Like, it's not enough that we have to do weird sexual slavery things to companions, we have to turn them into insects first? Christ. I think Nekromanteia makes me angrier but Creed makes me feel more ill. Both should be deleted from existence, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The new companion's fiance is abducted on their wedding day. She is forcibly turned into an alien queen (Phillip Martin!), impregnated by alien locusts and the new companion decides to euthanize her. The current companion nearly has the same thing happen to her, but, turns out, it's reversible! Whoops! The climactic finale action involves the Doctor and his new companion sitting in a hole and waiting for an entire episode. It's thrilling.

For what it's worth, that Phillip Martin Ice Warriors story Big Finish did is just as bad. That one has a group of proud warrior women learn the true meaning of marriage.

His Sil story "Antidote to Oblivion" is awful too. Based on his previous works, care to hazard a guess as to what happens to Flip in it?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

His Sil story "Antidote to Oblivion" is awful too. Based on his previous works, care to hazard a guess as to what happens to Flip in it?

Oh god

I haven't gotten this far yet and by the time I do, I'm going to have forgotten

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Davros1 posted:

Haven't heard that one yet, but I'm guessing..."Woman forced, against her will, to participate in some weird (almost fetichistic) torture sequence, that may or may not transform her in some way?"

That seems to be a recurring theme of his stuff that I've listened to/watched so far.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

I'd forgotten about how bad Creed was, must remember to steer well away from the rest of Philip Martin's stuff. I guess Varos looks good in comparison to the rest of the Sixth Doctors televised stories, but in a list that includes Twin Dilemma, Mark of the Rani, Timelash and Terror of the Vervoids, it doesn't really say much.

Thanks for the Fifth Doctor recommendations everyone. I do remember I quite liked the Angel story with him in from that Classic Doctors, New Monsters box set as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Haven't heard that one yet, but I'm guessing..."Woman forced, against her will, to participate in some weird (almost fetichistic) torture sequence, that may or may not transform her in some way?"

That seems to be a recurring theme of his stuff that I've listened to/watched so far.

Oh, you've spoiled it!

All I've got to say is Martin's series "Gangsters" must have been the greatest piece of British tv ever, because the only reason BF hires him is "Gangsters was amazing!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Posted the Children in Need clip from the x-mas special in the Spoilers thread. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Murray Gold is leaving after the Christmas Special.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Oh God the next season is going to be so goddamn different!

I'm super excited for new music in Who as I've always disliked Gold. drat, the hype cup runneth over!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I liked Murray Gold's music well enough; but freely say that he has no concept of restraint. I've long since wanted to hear someone else's take on the score...and I'm glad that this is happening

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really do hope for a more restrained and more electronic score. I love my spooky synth atmospherics.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Gold's bombasticism and sledgehammer subtlety makes watching the early series' a real pain on the ears.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I feel like Gold has gotten a lot more restrained over the course of Capaldi's run. I always liked his stuff, though, even the bombastic music, so I'll be sad to see him go.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plavski posted:

Gold's bombasticism and sledgehammer subtlety makes watching the early series' a real pain on the ears.

I feel like his style was well-matched to the material.

I'll miss him. :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm starting to like the idea of a hard aesthetic reset for the show.

Let's get a Tomita-inspired synth composer in this place!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsZqXdPZb8s

:black101:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It was only just this evening that I remembered he did 2 songs with full lyrics for seasons 1/2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu1C1Wmj3Xc

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

It was only just this evening that I remembered he did 2 songs with full lyrics for seasons 1/2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu1C1Wmj3Xc

Christ he looks young

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Tenth Doctor and Rose box set should be out any day now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

The Tenth Doctor and Rose box set should be out any day now.

The Big Finish one? Yeah, it's a November release. Hopefully Billie has found her accent again for this one...she never quite sounded the same after season 2. (Not faulting her acting over all! She was great in her later appearances).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I relistened to ...Ish yesterday and good golly is it a delight. A real celebration of the English language. Almost every line is some sort of play on words, which I really appreciate, and the antagonist is something only Doctor Who could get away with.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

Posted the Children in Need clip from the x-mas special in the Spoilers thread. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

Outside of all the back-and-forth going on, I really dug the implied dread and fear in,"What do you mean... one?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jivjov posted:

I liked Murray Gold's music well enough; but freely say that he has no concept of restraint. I've long since wanted to hear someone else's take on the score...and I'm glad that this is happening

At long last, the return of Keff is nigh upon us! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

80s synths are back in fashion... :thunk:

• Locked thread