Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Spergatory posted:

And since it totally worked and she got away with it scot-free with zero negative consequences to her or her allies, I guess you can chalk that up as another correct read on her part.

I'm sure she wasn't nervous at all while Mike was explaining during tribal that he felt personally betrayed by her and Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As an Irish American white dude who has grown up with tons of redheaded Irish American white dudes and whose hair even can go kinda red when bleached by the sun... I'm not sure what to think of this discussion.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not sure the tribe gets along that well. Ben can't stand Cole and Lauren/Mike don't like him either. Joe freaks everyone out. Desi at least couldn't stand Chrissy (from exit press).

The tribe doesn't seem nearly as bad as Worlds Apart but there's a lot of fragmentation.

I see what you're saying. There's definitely some conflicts and "problem" people and in so much as "Ben hates Cole and Joe but likes Mike" I guess I see the point that Mike is more well liked. It just doesn't stand out to me as the conflicts seem smaller and more focused on specific people misbehaving. So Mike's not some kind of social all star, he's just a patient guy with less of a hair trigger than Ben. But we'll see.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Seems like the first juror really doesn't like Chrissy.

quote:

SK: You mentioned that Chrissy had no interest in working with you. What is your take on Chrissy?
DW: Chrissy is one of my least favorite people in the world. These are very strong feelings, but now you've got me worked up [laughs]. Chrissy does not like women, and that's very clear, at least women who she feels threatened by. You can see back-to-back-to-back women were voted out, and Chrissy was at the helm of those decisions. She either doesn't know how to work with women or doesn't care to work with women. It might be easier to manipulate guys with her "good looks," big boobs, teeth or whatever. My take on Chrissy is she's good in this game because guys are dumb and fall for big boobs and teeth. I think Chrissy crossed the moral line in this game more than once, and for that reason I have a hard time with her as a person.

a few other excerpts

quote:

SK: What did she do to cross the line with you?
DW: It was not shown because it would've aired in my elimination episode. There was a point Chrissy swears on her kids about something she is in fact lying about. That, to me, draws the moral line. At that point, it was not something that even needed to be lied about. We all saw what went down. The fact that you're swearing on your kids' lives about something that you are actually lying about. It was something that doesn't matter because we all saw it go down. You can't even lie. It felt stupid and she had gone too far.

quote:

SK: So there's no future friendship between you and Chrissy once this is all done?
DW: It's weird, actually, because sometimes she texts me. I'm like, we're actually not friends. I don't know that she has a good read on how much I don't like her. I don't like her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Ali had the same comment about how Chrissy swore on her kids about a lie and it really burned her hard. Looks like Chrissy's going to keep that up and create a very bitter jury.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Its so dumb to me that people get mad about stuff like swearing on your kids lives. As if that means anything. "Oh no, you lied, now you have to kill your children"

I hope this isn't me being all goonsay. I just don't get it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think that kind of lie is needlessly intense and personal, and hurts people more emotionally than game-based lies, so it's arguably poor play. But Tony did it and won, and Sarah copied him and won too, although they both got some angry questions about it at FTC.

Anyway though it's funny that one of the more attractive women on the cast is bitter about Chrissy's smile and big boobs(?) and how she controls the men with her irresistible allure. Chrissy is in the back half of her 40s and Desi is a pageant queen, I think Desi just got outplayed???

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 17, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its using your children and the natural sympathy that people have as a game tactic. Chrissy wouldn't be saying "i swear on my kids" if she didn't know it would elicit an emotional response from Ali and Desi. Obviously her kids aren't actually affected but its emotionally manipulative and really skeezy. And it probably speaks to a broader strategy of emotional manipulation. The kids thing just stands out as an easy thing to focus on.

And on a basic level its as simple as if you're doing something that makes the other players hate you than you're playing badly. Period. It doesn't matter if they're wrong and you're right. The game is getting them to like you. So you're wrong.

And like, its a thing with ANY personal aspect. If you went to a gay tribemate and said "I have a gay brother and I really respect all you've had to go through and I want to see you go far with me" and then backstab them they're going to be pissed. Ben was so worked up because he felt Joe was implying that he was using his status as a marine to buy trust with people. Any time you find something people have a real emotional response to and manipulate that you're going to get highly emotional responses.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 17, 2017

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
When watching Lauren's ginger comments, they did come across as her legitimately hating gingers. I did not interpret it as a joke at all. The way she was, though, made me question if maybe she experienced some kind of trauma or had that One Bad Ginger in her life that made her dislike them all.

Once Pat was gone, her personality and strategy were able to show themselves more, and I actually like her now.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I nominate Chrissy for Survivor Castmember Most Likely To Make Headlines For Drowning Her Children.

There is something that feels so not genuine and unsettling about her, even from the start. I hope she burns and I hope it's a burn that can be seen for miles. That is the only thing that will make this season worthwhile for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As with most gamebot Survivors I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she just messed up the balance of "game" and "personal" and is too high on the personal strategic aspect of the game to be wise to the social community aspect. Until she gives a reason to assume those personality flaws extend beyond the game I'm willing to give her a pass that she's probably a pleasant person when not playing a game that she thinks gives her a pass to lie and manipulate.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, playing gamebot is really hard because there's no undeniable fact that social maneuvering is such a key part of the game, and Chrissy seems to be burning that option. I'm not even sure if there's a FTC combination she can win at at the moment; okay, she'd beat JP and maybe Ashley, but this potential jury is probably going to be less 'only respect big moves' compared to MvG and Game Changers.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fast Luck posted:

Seems like the first juror really doesn't like Chrissy.

a few other excerpts

lol holy gently caress what a baby

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think the Chrissy stuff crosses over from "playing the game" to "playing the game poorly" because she lied about stuff that she either didn't need to or couldn't competently lie about, and heightened the intensity of the lie anyway. She didn't really need to convince Ali that she was safe, and she couldn't reasonably expect people to believe she wasn't digging for the idol/hadn't seen the clue when Cole tackled her to start digging under the flag.

Desi's reaction seems a little strong but I'm glad she feels that way because this quote is golden

quote:

SK: So there's no future friendship between you and Chrissy once this is all done?
DW: It's weird, actually, because sometimes she texts me. I'm like, we're actually not friends. I don't know that she has a good read on how much I don't like her. I don't like her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, playing gamebot is really hard because there's no undeniable fact that social maneuvering is such a key part of the game, and Chrissy seems to be burning that option. I'm not even sure if there's a FTC combination she can win at at the moment; okay, she'd beat JP and maybe Ashley, but this potential jury is probably going to be less 'only respect big moves' compared to MvG and Game Changers.

Yeah, lots of players come in with a misjudged "line" for how far they can go and its hard to adjust that mid game. Chrissy clearly came in thinking it was fair game to use her role as a mother and the emotional connections she forms to get small gains in the game. With some people that might not be a big deal but with Desi and Ali it was.

I think the basic rule of thumb is that a player should recognize that if they form an emotional connection with someone then that's not a benefit to their game they can manipulate, its a hurdle to manage when they want them out. But Chrissy seems a little too self absorbed about her own game to really see how it affects other players.

I don't know that we can discount Chrissy's chances this early. She apparently won't have Desi's vote but we don't know if she's going to burn more people the same way. But obviously a pattern is beginning to develop and we've seen her draw emotional connections with people like Ryan and Ben so it seems likely that they'll get burned in a similar way if Chrissy ever turns on them.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 18, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Desi also says Chrissy is playing the best game thus far in that interview, so who even knows if that's a lost vote for Chrissy if she makes it to the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know... now that Desi has mentioned it... Chrissy HAS kind of voted out all the women in the cast, hasn't she?

That's weird. And I'm willing to chalk it up to chance and circumstances. But if Ashley is next I might have to give that one to Desi.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, lots of players come in with a misjudged "line" for how far they can go and its hard to adjust that mid game. Chrissy clearly came in thinking it was fair game to use her role as a mother and the emotional connections she forms to get small gains in the game. With some people that might not be a big deal but with Desi and Ali it was.

I wouldn't be too surprised if playing as the 'old woman' meant that she probably feels she has to be a bit more ruthless since it's harder to get taken as seriously as those young 20-30 somethings.

STAC Goat posted:

You know... now that Desi has mentioned it... Chrissy HAS kind of voted out all the women in the cast, hasn't she?

That's weird. And I'm willing to chalk it up to chance and circumstances. But if Ashley is next I might have to give that one to Desi.

Simone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ah, there we go. I knew I had to be forgetting someone.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Voting out Roark and Ali was kind of the situation she was put in though in that tribe. Voting out Jessica, maybe she guided it that way, but Joe had an idol and Cole was a known target (potential idol play) and Desi had immunity, so there weren't a lot of options. Doesn't really seem fair to look to draw conclusions based on those vote outs, although it is somewhat fair to note that multiple booted women have expressed that Chrissy doesn't like strong women.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm sorry. I thought I was making it clear I was just kind of joking. Obviously when she ended up on a tribe with 2 men she had history with and 2 women she didn't she was probably going to end up voting out women. Its entirely possible Desi and the others are right about her but its also pretty clear that the circumstances of the game have just kind of put her in position to vote out women logically.

Its just a weird and funny thing in light of Desi's claims.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 18, 2017

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
As a female currently getting over my issues with women in general, I absolutely believe Desi. I'm not going to go into it, but Chrissy gives me strong woman-hater vibes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Chrissy has come off as arrogant, condescending, and controlling, and I could see how that would come off to strong women who weren't in her plans or inner circle as her not liking strong women and preferring to work with men she can manipulate. If she's also being emotionally manipulative with those women... especially from a "feminine" perspective like motherhood... I guess I can kind of see something there.

But I also do think circumstances of her tribes have made working with men and eliminating women pretty logical. She was right not to go to bat for Katrina on Day 3 and Ben was the natural person to ally with in those tribe dynamics (and its born out to be a good ally choice). Ryan chose to give her the idol so it made sense for her to side with him and JP was the person she had the most time with so it made sense to favor him over Ali. And taking out Jessica made sense in light of the fear that there might be an idol floating around so you want to take out an unexpected person who would still hurt your main targets.

I find it tough to judge with what we know just as Lauren with the weird redhead thing or Ryan with some of the early women stuff I had quasi jumped on but then stepped back and wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt on (and I've seen nothing to support it since).

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I don't want to bring back the argument from last page but the Lauren redhead comment still bewilders me because it wasn't like some South Park "ironic" gingers are soulless joke, it was a genuine and sincere comment that she said in complete seriousness not once but twice. I do like her generally, but I think back to that and just go "what???"

I hope someone asks her about it in an exit interview, I need answers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I can see it being that she's just the sort of person who when she dislikes someone she makes it about some aspect of them instead of just "I don't like you." To that end I could see why people get "bigot" vibes in the idea that like she'd be wronged by a black person and declare "all black people!"

But she hasn't done that, she's just repeated a bad Southpark joke with weird earnestness. So I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt that she just doesn't know how to tell a joke until something clears that up or shines more light on it. Because I don't know what else to make of it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

But she hasn't done that, she's just repeated a bad Southpark joke with weird earnestness. So I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt that she just doesn't know how to tell a joke until something clears that up or shines more light on it. Because I don't know what else to make of it.

Yeah no, that's pretty much where I'm at too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also that whole "I played centerfield for 10 years!" thing just kind of made me assume that her default when she's frustrated is just to obsessively say something weird or... I don't know... something. So I could see her just making a "redhead" joke and then repeating it with more and more push as she got more and more frustrated.

I don't know. I don't know what to make of Lauren.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Those Desi pull quotes are hilarious and now I need to see Chrissy get roasted at the F3.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Spergatory posted:

If she can make a "bigoted" remark knowing that no one on her tribe will give a poo poo (which they very clearly didn't and still don't) then yeah, she's pretty loving perceptive.

And she had to use her advantage this vote or it went away. She knew it might potentially mess things up, which is why she went to Ben to talk it over and they got the Healers to mess up their own vote. And since it totally worked and she got away with it scot-free with zero negative consequences to her or her allies, I guess you can chalk that up as another correct read on her part.

Are we honestly at the point where we are labeling redheads as a persecuted minority? Like have we really reached that place as a society?

I think we reached that place in society during the genocide that was the potato famine

The South Park "joke" is referencing a real thing. A real, ugly thing Lauren showed us

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think at the very least we can all agree that someone should tweet at her to ask what the hell that was about or she should really be asked that question when she gets evicted.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Anyway though it's funny that one of the more attractive women on the cast is bitter about Chrissy's smile and big boobs(?) and how she controls the men with her irresistible allure. Chrissy is in the back half of her 40s and Desi is a pageant queen, I think Desi just got outplayed???

Yeah I don't think I've ever paid any attention whatsoever to her boobs, had to google some pictures and still don't know what that comment was about. Makes Desi look like an rear end mostly, you can behave like a normal person and not roast people behind their back to the media when the game is over in real life.

I mean sure Ryan is attached to her but that's mostly just for egoistic reasons of thinking he made a brilliant strategic move with the special advantage (it was fine, sure) and also as a sort of mother figure since he might need one.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 18, 2017

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Bolivar posted:

Yeah I don't think I've ever paid any attention whatsoever to her boobs, had to google some pictures and still don't know what that comment was about. Makes Desi look like an rear end mostly, you can behave like a normal person and not roast people behind their back to the media when the game is over in real life.

Reading between the lines a little, I think the implication there was that Desi has feminine assets that Chrissy finds threatening, since - per Desi's analysis - Chrissy believes that men are more easily manipulated by a pretty girl. And her comment about "boobs and TEETH" (emphasis mine) meant that Chrissy was threatened by Desi's appearance, as she is threatened by other women in general.

Desi made it pretty clear that the enmity between her and Chrissy ran deeper than game strategy, and that she herself struggled to separate 'life' from 'game'; hence her whole shtick about having a moral apotheosis at tribal. Explaining why she has such turbulent feelings about Chrissy helps to inform our understanding of her choice to not backstab Joe to save herself.

The super-awk yet entertaining Roark/Chrissy conversation from Roark's eviction episode lends credence to Desi's claims that Chrissy is a mean girl imo.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

It definitely doesn't read that way at all from the phrasing, unless Desi just flat out misspoke and mixed up the context of what she wanted to say.

quote:

She either doesn't know how to work with women or doesn't care to work with women. It might be easier to manipulate guys with her "good looks," big boobs, teeth or whatever. My take on Chrissy is she's good in this game because guys are dumb and fall for big boobs and teeth.

1: Chrissy can't or doesn't want to work with women.
2: Maybe guys are easier to manipulate with her good looks, etc. (Key word being "her")
3: Chrissy is good because that worked on the guys.

I honestly can't see how it could be read as Chrissy being threatened by Desi's good looks.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Chrissy might very well be a jerk who didn't want to cooperate with the women she voted out, but that doesn't discount the fact that she has unequivocally outplayed all of them. These women, in addition to being legitimate threats (the women this season have generally been more threatening than the men), also coincidentally fell outside of Chrissy's immediate alliances at the time. This all just seems like sour grapes to me.

Having said that, she's making it much harder for herself socially than she needs to and will probably get burned for it eventually.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
All of this is making me start to wonder if Chrissy wasn't just indulging in histrionics to win pity points when she collapsed after the first challenge. It worked like a charm on Ryan.

I suppose I too have reached the point of just wanting to see her get decimated at FTC and lose to Lauren or whoever she and Ryan (lol) decide to take.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Propaganda Machine posted:

All of this is making me start to wonder if Chrissy wasn't just indulging in histrionics to win pity points when she collapsed after the first challenge. It worked like a charm on Ryan.

I suppose I too have reached the point of just wanting to see her get decimated at FTC and lose to Lauren or whoever she and Ryan (lol) decide to take.

Ryan didn't see it, she didn't barf until after the other tribes left.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's weird to me we didn't get to see the "swear on her kids" thing in the edit, they usually love that stuff.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They didn’t show Sarah doing it last season and apparently she did that a lot.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. Ali had the same comment about how Chrissy swore on her kids about a lie and it really burned her hard. Looks like Chrissy's going to keep that up and create a very bitter jury.

I agree but I totally get why Ben got so pissed of at Joe for saying he swore on the Marines.

Because Ben is gonna get slugged by some marine somewhere someday for saying something that dumb.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 19, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Reince Penis posted:

I agree but I totally get why Ben got so pissed of at Joe for saying he swore on the Marines.

Because Ben is gonna get slugged by some marine somewhere someday for saying something that dumb.

Yeah, I don't think Ben did himself any favors by losing it the way he did but its understandable. Really, even putting the "marine" thing aside any kind of "you swore on your kids/religion/whatever" thing carries the same implication. Its taking something the person values as important and using it as collateral. Which is why Ali and Desi were so upset Chrissy lied after doing that and why Ben was so angry that Joe would lie that he did it and went back on it.

The odd part is I don't think Joe especially meant to be doing that. He just seems like the kind of player who doesn't see any harm in lying "on your kids" or whatever so didn't imagine Ben would get that worked up if he threw out some half truths about "swearing on Marines."

Zesty posted:

They didn’t show Sarah doing it last season and apparently she did that a lot.

Yeah, I think its a question of whether it happens in one big moment or if its just a casual thing they do. Sarah and Chrissy seem to do it casually from the way the other tribemates make it sound. We saw something like that last season with Culpepper in how he was telling so many women that they were like his wife and eventually they seemed to clue in about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm profoundly bothered by the intensity with which some people hate Chrissy, like she personally shat on their dog or something. Occasionally a male player will get this kind of heat, but 3/4 times it's a woman, who is dubbed a "bitch" for one reason or another. I've seen a couple of posts here to that effect, but it's REALLY bad on r/survivor, where it seems like Chrissy may have run over at least 20 people's pets. I mean, it's the only way to explain it other than people being judgmental misogynistic turdbags.

• Locked thread