Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Squall Down! :toot:

Once again I missed mastery but really I'm just happy I'm managing these fights since I'm clearly still a bit shy of doing this high level content.

Squall Party:

Aria (BSB for Instant Heals, Curaja + Ultra Cure)
Lenna (BSB for Auto-Life and Medica Command, Curaja + Holy)
Krile (Sheepsong, Chain Firaga + Firaja)
Maria (BSB, Chain Stonega + Sudden Freeze)
CoD (BSB for Radiant Shield, Memento + Dark Zone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

KPC_Mammon posted:

Adel fight advice:

You can cast Shell on Rinoa to reduce drain's damage.
If you cast renewing cure on Rinoa, the regen will heal her for 3k every tick.
Adel doesn't drain Rinoa until her weak phase so bring just a enelement OSBer and entrust bot, dick around for a bit wrathing up, and then blitz the boss down in a handful of turns while avoiding the fight's gimmick.

Wasn't quite able to clear Champion, but this finally did it for me. But man oh man did I feel like the world's biggest rear end in a top hat dropping my R3 Meltdown off CoD in order to slot a 1* Shell.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So it looks like CT (in japan) will later on have the ability to do 8 encounters instead of 4 or 5....

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Never loving pull. Both dupes. :shepicide:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Oh for gently caress's sake... the other day I was attempting to get a better clear on Golem, but my party is really bad on Earth damage. So bad that I have to bring Yang and his SSB Earth imperil. But hey that's okay, he can do Earth damage with Meteor Crush. Then I remembered, we were getting Gaia Rush in this event! Sweet, maybe I can stick that on him and have him contribute a little more damage instead of doing Lifesiphons when I run out of Meteor Crushes. Alright, let's see what it takes to hone to R2...

12 Non-Elemental, 12 Earth.... 20 Fire???

I swear to god, I've been running the Mondaily a lot because I am so hard up for Fire orbs. For a lot of people Monday was "Catch Up On Other Events Day" for a while but I've been running a lot of my stamina on Mondays in vain, hoping to the gods for some Major Fire Orbs. Of course every single magic pot that shows up is a Major Earth Orb. I think I got like 4 Major Earth Orbs last week alone. I thought I could finally start blowing through this stash of 200+ Major Earth Orbs I'm not using, but of course an EARTH ability uses more Fire orbs instead.

Specialized dailies in December REALLY can't come soon enough.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Thanks for ruining my victory screen game. :argh:

Missing characters are Garnet for Adamantoise and Ingus for Scylla.

EDIT:

Husbando Minwu is now complete. :yayclod:

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 17, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Husbando Minwu is now complete. :yayclod:

Words I never thought I'd see. Congratz though!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Shock Trooper posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake... the other day I was attempting to get a better clear on Golem, but my party is really bad on Earth damage. So bad that I have to bring Yang and his SSB Earth imperil. But hey that's okay, he can do Earth damage with Meteor Crush. Then I remembered, we were getting Gaia Rush in this event! Sweet, maybe I can stick that on him and have him contribute a little more damage instead of doing Lifesiphons when I run out of Meteor Crushes. Alright, let's see what it takes to hone to R2...

12 Non-Elemental, 12 Earth.... 20 Fire???

I swear to god, I've been running the Mondaily a lot because I am so hard up for Fire orbs. For a lot of people Monday was "Catch Up On Other Events Day" for a while but I've been running a lot of my stamina on Mondays in vain, hoping to the gods for some Major Fire Orbs. Of course every single magic pot that shows up is a Major Earth Orb. I think I got like 4 Major Earth Orbs last week alone. I thought I could finally start blowing through this stash of 200+ Major Earth Orbs I'm not using, but of course an EARTH ability uses more Fire orbs instead.

Specialized dailies in December REALLY can't come soon enough.

Well first off you should avoid using earth against golem...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

iamsosmrt posted:

Words I never thought I'd see. Congratz though!

I know it's not the most optimal choice of healer legend dive since his LMs are less than stellar but gently caress the haters. Minwu is just a super rad character. Also with all my diving he now has 306 MND with zero gear on and that's hilarious.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I know it's not the most optimal choice of healer legend dive since his LMs are less than stellar but gently caress the haters. Minwu is just a super rad character. Also with all my diving he now has 306 MND with zero gear on and that's hilarious.

This is the right attitude.

Attestant posted:

Never loving pull. Both dupes. :shepicide:

Goondolences. Never pull.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I kind of wish these jumpstart battles would have a little more HP. This is the second week in a row where Lightning has blown it the gently caress up before I could get full break on it.

*monkey paw finger curls in, every future jumpstart is 90% omniresist*

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I kind of wish these jumpstart battles would have a little more HP. This is the second week in a row where Lightning has blown it the gently caress up before I could get full break on it.

*monkey paw finger curls in, every future jumpstart is 90% omniresist*

I keep running Thunder God's Might on Ramza for precisely this reason.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I need some advice.

I currently have 435 inventory slots and I'm almost full. I've moved all my bad accessories and RMs to my vault a while ago but now I need to know what else to move.

My thought process is to move everything that has an ATK or MAG value below a certain threshold but I'm not sure what that number might be. Most OSBs/USBs have like 160+ ATK or MAG but I don't want to set the threshold too high. I also want to take synergy bonuses into account.

Is there a good rule of thumb for this? Like anything 130 ATK or 130 MAG or below gets vaulted or sold? Obviously I will take special cases into account like Terra's OSB MAG sword but are there other things I should be aware of?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just put all my 5* weapons that don't have an elemental boost in the vault, and only take them out for realm synergy. You've got almost twice as many inventory slots as me so you should have plenty of 6* or higher.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

My rule of thumb is to toss anything in the Vault that's not general-use in some way or necessary for current event synergy. So in this case, "general-use" is 6* gear, a collection of +all bracers, other +element armor, and accessories that will see common use like +35 ATK or resist KO.

Of course beyond that you really want to inventory everything you have, so that you're not just relying on memory for +resist petrify gear or whatever. (They're all in 7 or 10, but still.) This game could stand to have more comprehensive tools for such a task, but actually implementing it and doing so well would be an uphill battle.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just thinking about the amount of busywork i'd have to devote to pulling out items and vaulting others every time i switched to a different realm is giving me conniptions

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

just thinking about the amount of busywork i'd have to devote to pulling out items and vaulting others every time i switched to a different realm is giving me conniptions

Yeah that's why I spent the mythril on all these inventory slots. I am way too lazy and forgetful to micro-manage this stuff between my inventory and vault.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

NGDBSS posted:

Of course beyond that you really want to inventory everything you have, so that you're not just relying on memory for +resist petrify gear or whatever. (They're all in 7 or 10, but still.) This game could stand to have more comprehensive tools for such a task, but actually implementing it and doing so well would be an uphill battle.

Jokes on you, Ingus' BSB shield is petrify resist. :smuggo:

But anyways it's a good idea to keep any sort of resist stuff out in the open. I've made the mistake of vaulting some excess accessories of various sorts and I always forget about them later when they would be useful.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Cowcaster posted:

yeah holy poo poo no. My sanity's worth a myth from time to time.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Not to keep spamming things but I'm still really excited about finally doing enough content to fully legend dive someone. I was looking at Minwu's raw stats and while that MND is huge... that HP is sinister as hell and just makes me love my decision to dive him even more.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I wouldn't mind digging stuff out of the vault for realm synergy every now and then (mostly because there seems to be a trend now of the hardest content not giving you synergy bonuses anyway, or stuff like the crytal tower where anything equipped by a character with synergy gets synergy bonuses too) if there was actually a way to filter stuff. Not being able to look for elemental boosts and specific resistances, etc. makes that way too much of a pain in the rear end.

I basically just spent enough mythril where I can have all 6* and great 5* stuff, anything with +elemental damage, and a basic assortment of general-use weapons (swords and rods, mostly) for every realm so I've got synergy covered.

My vault is still full of a ton of poo poo I'll probably never use and should probably just mulch before I run out of space, but that random lovely gun / blitzball / book is going to be useful someday, maybe (it won't).

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there a good rule of thumb for this? Like anything 130 ATK or 130 MAG or below gets vaulted or sold? Obviously I will take special cases into account like Terra's OSB MAG sword but are there other things I should be aware of?

edit: for some actual advice, it's worth checking once in a while to see if you've got all the synergy you'll ever really need for a given realm. Like for me, I've got 4 6* swords for FFVII, 3 of which have elemental boosts. That pretty much means that any 5* sword for VII that I pull that doesn't have any boosts on it can safely be used as a rosetta stone after I've learned the SB - there's realistically no situation where it's going to be better than what I have, with or without synergy, unless I draw like 5 of them or something. We're also getting to the point where a fully rosetta'd off-realm 6* weapon is still stronger than most 5* weapons even with synergy, especially if it has a useable +damage boost on it.

It's a little trickier with mage stuff since the game seems to try very hard to keep you from accumulating a lot of good rods / staves that every mage can use, so you end up with a bunch of weird daggers and thrown weapons and poo poo.

And of course you can do this with accessories too - I'm at the point now where there's basically no reason to ever keep a 3 or 4* accessory unless it has a rare effect on it, because even with a synergy bonus some random +15 or +20 attack accessory is worse than an off-realm 5*.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 17, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I wouldn't mind digging stuff out of the vault for realm synergy every now and then (mostly because there seems to be a trend now of the hardest content not giving you synergy bonuses anyway, or stuff like the crytal tower where anything equipped by a character with synergy gets synergy bonuses too) if there was actually a way to filter stuff. Not being able to look for elemental boosts and specific resistances, etc. makes that way too much of a pain in the rear end.

you can do this, but even so the job sounds nightmarish

edit: unless you're saying you can't do it inside the vault

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
What we really need are more sort options like "date when a relic was most recently equipped" and/or "number of total times a relic has been equipped".

It would also be nice to be able to sort by more than one criteria. Like "show me all the Swords AND Katanas from FF7 in descending order of ATK".

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Well first off you should avoid using earth against golem...

I meant Hydra, whatever. Point still stands

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Just give me the ability to sort by element in my loving vault, thanks

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
removing sort options from vault keeps it from being a 2nd but more cost efficient inventory i guess

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Well poo poo I was only able to identify like 8 relics to move. I sorted by ATK and when ATK got low MAG got bigger. Then I sorted by MAG and when MAG got low MND got bigger.

I tried to create a low threshold of 120 for ATK and MAG each but I recognized that there were some weapons I had recently equipped due to realm synergy that had 120 ATK. I guess I use the stuff I thought was dumpy way more often than I thought and I guess I'll cough up a couple more mythril when it gets full again. This kinda sucks :/

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cowcaster posted:

you can do this, but even so the job sounds nightmarish

edit: unless you're saying you can't do it inside the vault

Yeah, no filtering in the vault, which makes it kind of a pain in the rear end if you ever need to store things there and dig them out later, or if you're doing a massive inventory cleaning. Especially accessories with weird resistances, I dunno if I'm expected to have memorized them all by appearance by now or what.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
What if you were to go into a realm dungeon for each game, and build an all-mage party. Then equip your best gear and see which realm synergy items get used and which don't. Theoretically anything that got left behind can safely be eliminated. Then do the same thing for a few different physical party loadouts to cover different gear sets, and then again for a party with a couple of healers.

if you repeat this for each game, that should help you figure out which items never get equipped anymore, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Just give me the ability to sort by element in my loving vault, thanks

Yeah, "I'll stick all these resist accessories in the vault until I need em" isn't as handy when I don't recognize them by sight and they're deposited all willy-nilly.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So I'm trying to CM the current FFIII Torment. I think I can do it, but I need a bit of help.

I can survive everything no problem, but DPS is an issue. I have to use CoD (bsb)/OK (bsb)/Luneth (nothing) because they're my only leveled FFIII characters. I got him down to ~30% but then his counter Curagas were healing him for more than my DPS was damaging him. Current team is:

Luneth
Zidane (key DPS)
OK
CoD
Iris

Can I pop Reflect on him to negate the healing perhaps? Any way I can further buff the damage of this jankass team?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Uncle Ulty posted:

What if you were to go into a realm dungeon for each game, and build an all-mage party. Then equip your best gear and see which realm synergy items get used and which don't. Theoretically anything that got left behind can safely be eliminated. Then do the same thing for a few different physical party loadouts to cover different gear sets, and then again for a party with a couple of healers.

if you repeat this for each game, that should help you figure out which items never get equipped anymore, right?

Yes but that's a lot of work.

And I just might be masochistic enough to do it :jiggled:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Elephant Ambush posted:

I tried to create a low threshold of 120 for ATK and MAG each but I recognized that there were some weapons I had recently equipped due to realm synergy that had 120 ATK. I guess I use the stuff I thought was dumpy way more often than I thought and I guess I'll cough up a couple more mythril when it gets full again. This kinda sucks :/
I don't know how much you're really trying to min-max but I stick to natural 6* weapons more often than not. Lightning USB sword with rosettas is 202 ATK while Seph BSB2 katana has 137 ATK naturally and 226 ATK with synergy. Unless I'm trying to hit ability/BSB command breakpoints then I think I'm okay without 24 ATK, in that example.

I'm a crazy 150 inventory slot haver that doesn't mind using the vault all the time though

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes but that's a lot of work.

And I just might be masochistic enough to do it :jiggled:

Agreed, but it might be the most efficient way to do it. If you do just 2 games per day, you can finish everything in about a week.

And it doesn't account for accessories, but my solution for that is I made a google doc spreadsheet that lists all of the accessories I own and what they do, so I can see everything on one page. But that was cultivated over the span of a year, so setting it up all at once could be a nightmare.

I think your real answer is to build a time machine and go back in time and keep track of all these things from day 1.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ceaselessfuture posted:

So I'm trying to CM the current FFIII Torment. I think I can do it, but I need a bit of help.

I can survive everything no problem, but DPS is an issue. I have to use CoD (bsb)/OK (bsb)/Luneth (nothing) because they're my only leveled FFIII characters. I got him down to ~30% but then his counter Curagas were healing him for more than my DPS was damaging him. Current team is:

Luneth
Zidane (key DPS)
OK
CoD
Iris

Can I pop Reflect on him to negate the healing perhaps? Any way I can further buff the damage of this jankass team?

D300 is immune to Reflect; the only way to weaken his healing is to use Mind Break(down).

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

How much does it weaken it? If it lands for 7k that's probably still too much :(

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Uncle Ulty posted:

Agreed, but it might be the most efficient way to do it. If you do just 2 games per day, you can finish everything in about a week.

And it doesn't account for accessories, but my solution for that is I made a google doc spreadsheet that lists all of the accessories I own and what they do, so I can see everything on one page. But that was cultivated over the span of a year, so setting it up all at once could be a nightmare.

I think your real answer is to build a time machine and go back in time and keep track of all these things from day 1.

I already sorted accessories after the renewal dungeons. :)

RMs I sort as I unlock them. I just have a ton of relics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

How much does it weaken it? If it lands for 7k that's probably still too much :(

Mind breakdown is about a 15% healing reduction vs. break resistant targets. It's not insignificant, but based on your setup it doesn't look like it would be worth the ability slot.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 18, 2017

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, I think Mind Breakdown takes his heals from 9999 to like 7600. Basically you need to save up huge burst damage either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I may have to settle on a normal clear then. Thanks friends!

• Locked thread