Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
1 game for Tkachuk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thufir posted:

Malcom Subban is healthy again for VGK.

:woop:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jackets scored more than one goal in regulation. :stare:

...and a PPG. :psyduck:

...and didn't piss themselves in the third against the Rangers. :psyboom:

Also, Bread Man has it out for Hank.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gio posted:

this league is loving stupid

yea, moving into one of the largest media markets in the US with an nhl-ready arena already built in downtown and a (relatively small) existing fanbase from a WHA and AHL club with the potential for a cross-state rivalry is bad and dumb

:confused:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Is MAF even skating?

:(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Krime posted:

Is MAF even skating?

No clue :smith:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Houston has to be a better idea to start with than Phoenix.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Krime posted:

Where was it a few years ago that put up plywood or something like that during a game because they didn't have a backup piece of glass ready?

Maybe I'm making stuff up too.

Not exactly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sW0yl7TWTs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

phoenix has had hockey since the 60s

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

houston has a ton of people who have spent considerable time in calgary because of oil & gas. there's a really good hockey bar in mid town. it's not the worst place for an expansion team (it's definitely not worse than vegas, seattle, portland, kansas or quebec)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

the talent deficit posted:

houston has a ton of people who have spent considerable time in calgary because of oil & gas. there's a really good hockey bar in mid town. it's not the worst place for an expansion team (it's definitely not worse than vegas, seattle, portland, kansas or quebec)

Seattle is probably a better bet long term, Portland and Kansas have shown no indication they want a team and Quebec is not getting an expansion franchise. Maybe, MAYBE, if the NHL misplays a "BUILD THEM A NEW ARENA OR WE'RE MOVING THE TEAM" spiel Quebec might get a team. Maybe, MAYBE, if Seattle City Council gets its head out of its arse Seattle will get a team. Maybe, MAYBE, one day Kansas will do more than host exhibition games and Portland will show some form of interest in the NHL.

Until then, Houston is the best option. Seattle is probably the best "grow the game!" expansion option and Quebec is probably the best "slam dunk all the corporate and public support in the area" relocation option.
Houston is a fine choice for an expansion or relocation though. If it's gonna be an expansion, it's going to happen real quick. Like "paperwork has to be signed by the end of the season" quick. So it's more likely the Yotes get relocated since they're still engaged in all out war over their arena.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 18, 2017

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Krime posted:

Is MAF even skating?

He was back on the ice for the first time last Wednesday but there hasn't been much of an update since:

https://twitter.com/WiebeSunSports/status/928334498663612416

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boo Mantha for hurting MAF.
He's never done anything but brought people joy, and sometimes fury. Regardless of team.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Barzal has been very good. So has Eberle. They are enjoyable together.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I haven't seen any articles on it, but I think player's are scoring at a much higher rate this season than they have in the previous few. I just looked it up, and McDavid had 22 points in his first 19 games last season (oddly, the exact same amount he has in 19 games this season). There's a ton of guys over the PPG mark, and 10 over the 22 in 19 mark (arbitrary, I know). Stamkos and Kucherov are the two way ahead of everyone.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

EV Corsi has still been fine, the main issue is that the PK just hemorrhages shots and some guys can’t stop takin dumb penalties. Andersen’s just regressing to his average after being trash in October. The Leafs won’t play pretty but they’re around where they should be in the standings, assuming Matthews isn’t out long term.

It's also going to depend on how often they decide to catch the Turnover bug on any given day, too. Some games have been a marathon to sit through.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

At the Flyers game. Flyers up 3-1 after 1. Flyers looking decent all around. We've had 1 Eagles chant so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

At the Flyers game. Flyers up 3-1 after 1. Flyers looking decent all around. We've had 1 Eagles chant so far.

Provorov continues to be a beast. Great shot and he was awesome at killing that 4-3.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
houston/texas also have had massive youth hockey participation for the last 20 years

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Dale Weise is stupid and I hate him

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

Well....what are your thoughts on Brandon Manning?

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

shyduck posted:

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Tim Peel can go suck eggs

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Twin Cinema posted:

I haven't seen any articles on it, but I think player's are scoring at a much higher rate this season than they have in the previous few. I just looked it up, and McDavid had 22 points in his first 19 games last season (oddly, the exact same amount he has in 19 games this season). There's a ton of guys over the PPG mark, and 10 over the 22 in 19 mark (arbitrary, I know). Stamkos and Kucherov are the two way ahead of everyone.

I read one the other day that attributed it to more penalties being called. Goalies also seem to have a worse save percentage overall. Even tossing in an expansion team didn't add much historically speaking so it's not like everyone is just pounding on scrubs.

I enjoy the penalties called and the resulting power plays, so I look forward to another playoff of clutch and grab 2-1 games.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Yep: https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

Although offense tends to go down as the season goes on.

Schremp Howard posted:

I read one the other day that attributed it to more penalties being called. Goalies also seem to have a worse save percentage overall. Even tossing in an expansion team didn't add much historically speaking so it's not like everyone is just pounding on scrubs.

I enjoy the penalties called and the resulting power plays, so I look forward to another playoff of clutch and grab 2-1 games.
There's certainly a bit of that but even strength numbers are up a fair bit as well.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Flyers suck.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

shyduck posted:

shyduck posted:

shyduck posted:

Flyers suck.

An epic in three parts

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
News: Flyers lose.

Views:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Monahan's first hat trick, apparently?

Also Gaudreau moves to third in scoring.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 18, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheNationChris/status/931983069388537857

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Well at least Philly didn't lose in a shoot out

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Mike Condon sucks so bad lol

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/931995513179717632

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 18, 2017

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Yeah I'm real glad this guy came back so I could watch Vinny Trocheck play with Connor Brickley and Colton Sceviour instead of real second-line wingers.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I went to poop and missed two goals, then missed two more while I was catching up on the first two.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
shameful lack of gdt noted, bad hockey fans

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1aBI0v-EBA&t=266s

Jesus, that toe drag by Dubinsky made that goal.

Also, Craig Custance and Porty did a podcast on the early days of the CBJ and I can't wait to hear some of the stories of what a clusterfuck they were: https://theathletic.com/158795/2017/11/17/the-full-60-podcast-aaron-portzline-shares-stories-about-blue-jackets-early-days/

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That bishop assist was a beauty. Kari is still wet poo poo.

It was Vern fiddler night, so have this classic:

https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/931983147268558849

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/931969987400441856

lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, a 2 ppg player is the problem with the Oilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1aBI0v-EBA&t=266s

Jesus, that toe drag by Dubinsky made that goal.

I was at the game. The first two periods were pretty sloppy, but drat were both goals pretty. Glad I got to hear the cannon go off a few times.

• Locked thread