Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Dusty Lens posted:

That's usually how I set mine up. If I'm running a mountain base I'll place walls, heaters or firefoam poppers in the "open" spaces to prevent infestations from spawning in the room. Usually at least one popper as that's a real material loss if a fire gets into it from a zzt or otherwise.

Pawns have zero issue strolling across and accessing every growing space.

Just be warned that doing it this way can increase your desire to perform eugenics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Growing potatoes in hydroponics is even worse.

Although now you mention it I don't think I'm going to be able to set up hydroponics bays without walk spaces now. I'd never thought about it before, but it does seem wrong. You've ruined it for me

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Cool, just doubled my growing space then, might get rid of the fields altogether!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

That's usually how I set mine up. If I'm running a mountain base I'll place walls, heaters or firefoam poppers in the "open" spaces to prevent infestations from spawning in the room. Usually at least one popper as that's a real material loss if a fire gets into it from a zzt or otherwise.

Pawns have zero issue strolling across and accessing every growing space.

This is the exact design I use and I tend to also put heaters or stone chunks in the open spaces. If you leave a walkway around the outside or unfilled tiles inside the circle your pawns are monumentally stupid and spend half their time in the room going "up" and "down" on and off the hydroponics basins getting slowed down each and every time. I force them to climb "up" one time to get into the room and then loving stay there until they leave the room instead of being idiots.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
Here is my base. About 4 or 5 years old. 'Suppy's Hope.' Named after a redoubtable lesbian marksman with an incredible modded weapon from the Rimsenal mod who has saved the day several times. Other standouts: Seymour the second in command; skilled at everything; always keeping the base on its feet when times are tough. Rebecca the brilliant medic and greenthumb but worthless pacifist who sits in bed and cries herself to sleep whenever there's a raid. Coyote the brain damaged asthmatic 70 year old mayor who wanders around and makes artwork. Camel the psychologically sensitive brilliant tribal crafter who had his mom, dad, and sister killed in a single raid, and stumbled around outside for about year afterwards in an insane depression (mostly over it now).

I usually get bored at this stage of development so things aren't going to get much bigger.

I typically run embrasures and limited turrets. There are no natural chokepoints on this map. So I designed my fortifications to create interlocking lines of fire like an early modern star fort. Embrasures are not much better than sandbags in my opinion but they can facilitate a lot of creative base design. The big advantage here is that embrasures are temperature sealed. Which is helpful for the alpine biome this base is in where it can get down to -40 or -50 in winter. Many of these halls were often -20 until I got geothermal up just recently and are therefore irresponsibly filled with my overflowing potato harvest.

Here is a better look at the mature 'utility tunnel' system I've steadily dug into the big mountain to the east of my original settlement. These tunnels facilitate command of a lot of the map. But they are my biggest security weakness if/when there are tunnelers or infestations because only two or three defenders can command fire down them at a time. Some sections of these halls are trapped and turreted for this reason. But there are probably more comprehensive defense solutions that I need to spend some time thinking about.

Zane fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 18, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
It seems like tool cabinets don't block movement at all. Pawns just happily run through them at full speed.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Growing potatoes in hydroponics is even worse.

Although now you mention it I don't think I'm going to be able to set up hydroponics bays without walk spaces now. I'd never thought about it before, but it does seem wrong. You've ruined it for me

You’re welcome.

That reminds me of other Rimworld issues.

Is there a boat mod, or just drop ships and hovercraft in terms of mobility? I’ve seen a few vehicle mods that I’m curious about... trying to take as much pain out of caravaning as possible while still being able to do it.

I’ll also probably run the fishing mod, because why not fish? Also, making medicine out of sea cucumbers is just too funny.

When folks run melee pawns, if you’re looking to try and down as many as possible but not kill, I assume mace is best. Plasteel seems fine - fast swing, slightly lower damage. Or should I just use wood?

I applaud y’all that do the super cold runs. I love jungle too much - I enjoy having to manage the fauna, so I added the Megafauna mod and Dinosauria too to keep it even more interesting.

Those embrasures look awesome - a mod, I assume. Makes sense, and they don’t sound too ridiculously good... I’ll need to look that one up.

I enjoyed Industrialization for the added nuclear power plant... I’ve seen Rimatonics but drat that looks complicated. What other power generators do people use? Or maybe the chemfuel generator and boomalope managing makes those in A18 vanilla a viable path?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

You’re welcome.

Is there a boat mod, or just drop ships and hovercraft in terms of mobility? I’ve seen a few vehicle mods that I’m curious about... trying to take as much pain out of caravaning as possible while still being able to do it.

no boats but tanks and dropships yes http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1082473678 (can't find the link for dropship one right now :( )
edit: here it is derp https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31906.0

Thefluffy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 18, 2017

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

A18 officially out!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Omnicarus posted:

A18 officially out!

B18!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Darn it. I made some modifications to the Core mod and now they're gone with B18 out. I TOTALLY wasn't expecting 18 to launch tonight, haha. Looks like it's going to be awesome once every mod I like updates for it!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
https://ludeon.com/blog/2017/11/rimworld-beta-18-a-world-of-story-is-released/

Rimworld is now out of alpha!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kinda disappointing, all the new features were fun.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Kinda disappointing, all the new features were fun.

Yeah new features were neat.

Hope he at least continues with content improvements at a decent clip. I really like it when he adds his version of mod features into the base game... less mod dependencies and it just makes vanilla feel more complete.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

HelloSailorSign posted:

You’re welcome.

You should suggest this to the guy that makes the dropship mod, I bet he'd go for it. It's a good idea!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MadJackMcJack posted:

Just be warned that doing it this way can increase your desire to perform eugenics.

gently caress you I was going to post that!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress you I was going to post that!

But windmills are a different structure. :confused:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

DogonCrook posted:

There is one north of me in a cave system thats open. When a bandit or raid comes they head up there and die. The bugs come out after and head towards me for a bit but they always stop and turn around halfway. I have no idea what thats about but temporarily anyways they are a huge benifit. That cave is just a pile of weapons now lol.

Playing with this a while, the hive is basically a "leash" for the bugs that belong to it, they won't go outside of a certain radius of it (something like 30 tiles). As long as it's above freezing the hive spawns jelly periodically, which the bugs eat, but if it gets too cold the hive dies and the bugs stop being constrained and also get hungry.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I'm loving this new mental breaks list.

quote:

New mental breaks:
- Insulting spree. Randomly go around and insult people.
- Targeted insulting spree. Follow around a specific other colonist, insulting them repeatedly.
- Tantrum. Go around randomly smashing furniture, buildings, and damageable items.
- Bedroom tantrum. Go to your own room and randomly smash furniture, buildings, and damageable items.
- Targeted tantrum. Go to destroy a single, specific, randomly-chosen, valuable item or building.
- Sadistic rage. Melee attack prisoners for a while. Fists only. Only occurs when there are prisoners to attack. Does not attack downed prisoners.
- Corpse obsession. Dig up a corpse and drop it on a meeting spot table or in a random high-traffic area. The mental break then ends.
- Catatonic. Collapse on the spot into a downed state with a psychological breakdown. Recover some days later. This can be implemented by a “catatonic breakdown” hediff.
- Jailbreaker. Colonist goes to a random prisoner (who is capable of prison breaking), and upon doing a special “spark jailbreak” action with them, induces an immediate prison break in that prisoner.
- Slaughterer. Slaughter random colony animal(s) periodically.
- Murderous rage. Hunt down a specific colonist or prisoner (randomly chosen) and attempt to kill them by melee attack. Uses melee weapon or fists, as equipped. Keep attacking until the target is dead.
- Run wild. The pawn basically starts acting like an animal. You can tame him to try to get him to rejoin.

Murderous rage could be annoying, but the insulting sprees sound hilarious.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Now that B18 is out I think this would be a great time to track what mods people really love. I was thinking of putting together a Google Form that folks could fill out and aggregate the Goon approved stuff. What do you think?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'll add it to the OP if you do, I generally just look at the most subscribed list on steam.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

I'll add it to the OP if you do, I generally just look at the most subscribed list on steam.

I do that too, but I figured it might be fun to see what other stuff folks like.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’d contribute to that. I’m not good at finding mods other than through Steam with the popular or most subscribed buttons, so seeing what others use and why could be useful to get more in my list.

I do think a tiered vehicle system would be awesome to help caravaning. Animal pulled carts that decrease the rate of pawn needs decay and increase cargo load while slightly slowing it down - maybe useful for those in areas with quick traffic routes (like if roads made things faster?).. Early internal combustion engines in both truck and personnel transport varieties, with advancements that increase fuel efficiency, speed, and cargo carrying ability.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ugh, my game updated overnight and so did some of the mods. So switching back to 17b doesn't fix some mods being broken.

Oh well, RIP cool base.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Vasudus posted:

Ugh, my game updated overnight and so did some of the mods. So switching back to 17b doesn't fix some mods being broken.

Oh well, RIP cool base.

I just deleted all the mods and figured I'd see what comes back over time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here's the form: https://goo.gl/forms/X0GIFtGwQmJOQKw33

If anyone has a better way of having data be added let me know, as I know this is fairly tedious.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Flesh Forge posted:

Playing with this a while, the hive is basically a "leash" for the bugs that belong to it, they won't go outside of a certain radius of it (something like 30 tiles). As long as it's above freezing the hive spawns jelly periodically, which the bugs eat, but if it gets too cold the hive dies and the bugs stop being constrained and also get hungry.

I also noticed after i built a wall outside my cave raiders stopped attacking the bug nest and would go after my base.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just deleted all the mods and figured I'd see what comes back over time.

I'm gonna hang fire for a week and see which mods have been updated. Might do a game with dev mode on to see what the new stuff is like in the meantime.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here's the form: https://goo.gl/forms/X0GIFtGwQmJOQKw33

If anyone has a better way of having data be added let me know, as I know this is fairly tedious.

Just have it link to rimfridge and call it a day.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to differentiate between enhancement/QOL mods and addition mods.

A mod like Hand Me That Brick or Path Avoid alters the way vanilla plays out in a way that generally answers a frustration but doesn't really impact the way the base game plays. As opposed to a mod like, say, Glitter Tech or Bionic crafting mods which fundamentally shift the way the game is played and how balance plays out.

But that can be a fairly subjective view.

Also. You know. Effort.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Is there a way to force your current mods to update if an update is available? I subscribe to all of mine through steam workshop and I see that hugslib is ready for B18 but I can't seem to find a way to make it update.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Subscribe this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818773962

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I already am.

I unsubbed, and resubbed and it still shows as incompatible.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Also. You know. Effort.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

:argh:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That Works posted:

I already am.

I unsubbed, and resubbed and it still shows as incompatible.

That's weird, contact the mod author I guess? That's supposed to be the A/B18 version :shrug:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

That Works posted:

Is there a way to force your current mods to update if an update is available? I subscribe to all of mine through steam workshop and I see that hugslib is ready for B18 but I can't seem to find a way to make it update.

I'm currently using hugslib B18 without any issue. Perhaps manually deleting the installed mod would turn the trick?

Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100\818773962

That should be it?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Now that you can milk boomalopes gas lamps should be a thing. Caves are nice but its a lot of torches.

E: also anybody fugure out if the glow mushrooms spread? I have those in dark sections but they are slowly disappearing and wondering if i should just take the free food.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The only two mods that are left without updates that I use are Hospitality and Psychology.

Almost there...

Once I get this next game started I’ll add to that Modlist. I’m trying a few new minor change and fluff mods.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game seems like dwarf fortress space station 13, I'm in. I guess I'll start off with no mods or poo poo so I know what the base game is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

The interactions with pawns have been improved. They can have rivals now. Had a bunch of fistfights after insults but they dont use weapons anymore when it happens. Well they havent so far lol. Its not as in depth as psychology mod but with the new events that areas been improved alot.

I also had a guest. There are no guest beds or anything but hospitality or something like it may be in eventually. Theres really no point i could see to the event now.