Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Well I beat it. Pretty alright game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The biggest problem with this game imo is how gradually you gain access to your movement options, it's not that bad when you're first experiencing the game but it makes replaying the early parts of the game kinda a chore

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Fwiw, if you know what you're doing you can get dash + wall-jump in like... 1-2 hours. Double jump is a bit more hidden tho.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

buddy you can get those in like 20 minutes!

I mean yeah, replaying the game means you have to... progress through the game again, and progression in these sorts of games is principally organized by mobility/abilities.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'd love an unlock mode where you can choose which abilities you start the game with. I always wanted that option for Metroidvania style games just for silly replayability

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Just started playing and I have a question: I don't need to leave the compass badge thing on all the time, do I? I'm assuming I'm going to get more notches for more badges at some point. I just got the dash move from Hornet. I'm not sure what to spend my money on, especially since there's no way I'm taking off the badge that gives me extra soul.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
No, there's no need to ever wear that charm. Recommended charm to buy: Gathering Swarm. Makes sure you collect Geo passively, including a some that you couldn't reach otherwise because it jumped somewhere you can't go. Grinding for Geo sucks, and even though it's unlikely, you probably want to make sure you don't ever need it.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

OzFactor posted:

Just started playing and I have a question: I don't need to leave the compass badge thing on all the time, do I? I'm assuming I'm going to get more notches for more badges at some point. I just got the dash move from Hornet. I'm not sure what to spend my money on, especially since there's no way I'm taking off the badge that gives me extra soul.

The compass charm is kind of a beginners tool, it's good if you're having trouble getting oriented and figuring out where you are on the map. Once you know the areas of the game well, it becomes unnecessary.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I'm so irritated this game isn't getting any play in end-of-year gaming awards. The Team Cherry people seem really awesome too and absolutely deserve some love.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

It’s up for Best Indie Game on some Schick Hydro Gamer Awards or something, but didn’t see it in any other categories

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I wore the Compass badge for the entire game and I regret nothing

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I took it off for the last boss.

It's one of those things that really should've just been part of the base UI.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Thanks friends. I found the big badge lady and bought some more notches. Next question: I died pretty far from a bench in the City of Tears and then had to go to bed. Is my Dark Soul Octopus Ghost going to be there when I play next, or does it go away when you quit out of the game?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mymla posted:

I took it off for the last boss.

It's one of those things that really should've just been part of the base UI.

I think the idea behind it is to reward people who memorize the map well enough, which I actually kinda like. I wonder if it'd feel better if instead of a charm there was an NPC who'd offer to convert your compass to/from a charm slot. Would be less convenient but also maybe wouldn't feel so much like you're being taunted every time you move your charms around and see the compass wasting space.

OzFactor posted:

Thanks friends. I found the big badge lady and bought some more notches. Next question: I died pretty far from a bench in the City of Tears and then had to go to bed. Is my Dark Soul Octopus Ghost going to be there when I play next, or does it go away when you quit out of the game?

I'm pretty sure it sticks around.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
That thing disappears if and only if you die before retrieving it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Everything in this game has a price, which is cool. Benches, elevators, map pins, compass, the list goes on. Makes the bug kingdom seem like some hypercapitalist dystopia.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Samopsa posted:

Everything in this game has a price, which is cool. Benches, elevators, map pins, compass, the list goes on. Makes the bug kingdom seem like some hypercapitalist dystopia.

The nobles flouncing around in the city give off that feel, too. I really hope the Hornet campaign lets us actually see the kingdom when it's still functioning because as far as we can tell it seems like it was horrible in a lot of ways and it would be fun to see that first hand.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So, I really, really like this game several hours in, and although I am trying to appreciate getting super lost all the time and just enjoy the experience... if I could make a suggestion to improve the game, I'd just like there to be some way to know if there's a bench nearby. Oh and I would like an entire campaign around the Dung Defender. It looked like he just ran away when I beat him, please tell me I'm going to see him again.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

OzFactor posted:

So, I really, really like this game several hours in, and although I am trying to appreciate getting super lost all the time and just enjoy the experience... if I could make a suggestion to improve the game, I'd just like there to be some way to know if there's a bench nearby. Oh and I would like an entire campaign around the Dung Defender. It looked like he just ran away when I beat him, please tell me I'm going to see him again.

I felt the devs did a pretty good job pointing the way to new benches with signposts, for the most part. Maybe that's just selective memory on my part, idk. (You know what the bench signs look like by this point, I hope?)

As for the Defender, he's not going to play a big part in the plot or anything, but yeah, there's more content associated with him.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

Try doing a ground pound under the toxic liquid switch right after his boss room.

Speaking of said secret, is there actually any way for someone to know it exists outside of word-of-mouth? The ground doesn't shake or anything.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I've been playing this on and off for the past month, but I think I'm stuck. I'm not sure where to go.

I've defeated Hornet in the Kingdom's Edge, got the King's Brand, went to the Abyss and there's not much there? Switched on a thing in a tower, got the Shade Cloak. There's a room in the bottom left that I can't figure out what it's for. Very ominous, maybe a secret boss fight?

After I got the cloak, I finished off the Fog Canyon and more importantly, the third dreamer, found the Queen's Garden (I think that's the name) and finished most of that too.

Where do I go now?

I've got most movement options available to me too, it seems like. Double jump and the super dash are both available to me besides the usual dashes and wall jumps.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
If you finished off the third dreamer, there will be a clear indicator on your map for where you can go next. Make sure to zoom out if you can't see it.
That room in the abyss is technically not required for anything other than 100%. The only thing I can say without giving it away is take a good look at the room. That's a funny looking block in the middle, ain't it.
Finally, for the good ending there's one thing in the queen's garden that's very important (and I expect you'll know it when you find it). It's also very important that you have enough essence in your dream nail, so keep working on that. Note: (slight spoiler, but it's a dumb detail I am personally glad I got spoiled on myself) there are several bosses in the game that you can dream nail to fight a powered up version, for essence. They are Dung Defender, Soul Master, False Knight, and Broken Vessel.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the tip! I can't believe I missed that super obvious indicator the entire time, and didn't realise I was so close to the end. Finished the game with I think the default ending.

Regarding the Queen's Garden item, it's half of a fragment of some sort right? I'm not sure where to get the other half...but I assume it's tied to my Dream Nail upgrades, based on your advice. I am at 600 Essence and the next upgrade is 700 but I have the sinking feeling I'm actually very far off....

Finished with 64% completion according the game. This game is massive.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Essence will go really fast once you start actually seeking it out. Several bosses give 300.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I know this comment is probably pretty tired at this point, but it amuses me how much this game plays like Dark Souls. Every boss so far has straight up destroyed me (except for the Dung Defender, my best friend and colleague) the first two or three times I've fought it, and then I tell myself I'll try one more time before giving up and going to get more stuff and come back later. And then I beat the boss without getting hit.

They're obviously very similar in the way they tell their stories, but the main thing that reminds me of Dark Souls is that I've finally been given a task and direction (after getting the Dream Nail) but the evidence continues to mount that I might not be the good guy here, or at least the collateral damage I'm causing may not be worth it. I don't feel like things are going to end up all that well for Hollownest no matter what I do.

The thing I'm not sure about at this point is what Hornet said in the City of Tears. "If, knowing that truth, you'd still attempt a role in Hallownest's perpetuation, seek the Grave in Ash and the mark it would grant to one like you." After this, the Black Egg Temple was marked on the map. Is that the "Grave in Ash?" Or is the monument to the Dreamers in the Resting Grounds where you get the Dream Nail what she's talking about? Basically, was she pointing me to the Dreamers or to the Black Egg? I know it doesn't really matter in a practical sense but I feel like it matters if she's saying "your goal is to open this thing" or "your goal is to figure out more about what's going on."

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

OzFactor posted:

The thing I'm not sure about at this point is what Hornet said in the City of Tears. "If, knowing that truth, you'd still attempt a role in Hallownest's perpetuation, seek the Grave in Ash and the mark it would grant to one like you." After this, the Black Egg Temple was marked on the map. Is that the "Grave in Ash?" Or is the monument to the Dreamers in the Resting Grounds where you get the Dream Nail what she's talking about? Basically, was she pointing me to the Dreamers or to the Black Egg? I know it doesn't really matter in a practical sense but I feel like it matters if she's saying "your goal is to open this thing" or "your goal is to figure out more about what's going on."

It's a thing in Kingdom's Edge.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

OzFactor posted:

I know this comment is probably pretty tired at this point, but it amuses me how much this game plays like Dark Souls. Every boss so far has straight up destroyed me (except for the Dung Defender, my best friend and colleague) the first two or three times I've fought it, and then I tell myself I'll try one more time before giving up and going to get more stuff and come back later. And then I beat the boss without getting hit.

They're obviously very similar in the way they tell their stories, but the main thing that reminds me of Dark Souls is that I've finally been given a task and direction (after getting the Dream Nail) but the evidence continues to mount that I might not be the good guy here, or at least the collateral damage I'm causing may not be worth it. I don't feel like things are going to end up all that well for Hollownest no matter what I do.

Neither of the above, it's the grave of the Wyrm in Kingdom's Edge where you get the King's Brand.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The Black Egg Temple is marked on your map after examining the statue of the Hollow Knight, not after talking to Hornet, but how it's framed is a little confusing, yeah.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I realize this is a pretty difficult question to answer, but can anyone tell me how to find Cornifer in Deepnest? In Highwang’s LP he’s right near the entrance next to the Mantis Lords, but he’s not there for me (nor has he left a note). I got my rear end handed to me by the Lords early in the game so I avoided them for a long time and came into Deepnest through the Queen’s Garden and ran around lost until I found the tram pass. So then I decided to fight the Lords and come back in that way hoping to get a map, but he’s not there. I’d, like, really like a drat map.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

OzFactor posted:

I realize this is a pretty difficult question to answer, but can anyone tell me how to find Cornifer in Deepnest? In Highwang’s LP he’s right near the entrance next to the Mantis Lords, but he’s not there for me (nor has he left a note). I got my rear end handed to me by the Lords early in the game so I avoided them for a long time and came into Deepnest through the Queen’s Garden and ran around lost until I found the tram pass. So then I decided to fight the Lords and come back in that way hoping to get a map, but he’s not there. I’d, like, really like a drat map.

If he's not there you should be able to go and buy the map from the shop on the surface.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, definitely check the map store first thing. Cornifer's got (at least) two different hiding places inside the Deepnest, so I guess it's possible he's still hiding out in a part of it you haven't explored - if Iselda won't sell you anything, try dropping into the nest from the Fungal Wastes and explore the rooms close to that area transition.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

If you enter from the Queen's Gardens I think he's in the top left area of the room you drop into, I can't quite remember. I don't think the map is sold in the store until you defeat Herrah.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I found Deepnest cornifer right by the mantis lords entrance. He's hiding behind a rock or something iirc (you can see something sticking out)

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Eopia was right, Iselda sold me the map. I had thought you had to read one of his little notes first, but I guess not! I haven't killed Herrah, either, so I'm not sure what triggered it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

Eopia was right, Iselda sold me the map. I had thought you had to read one of his little notes first, but I guess not! I haven't killed Herrah, either, so I'm not sure what triggered it.

Hmm, maybe I was wrong. The boss is usually the trigger, but maybe in Deepnest it's the tram pass.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Im currently replaying it all, and Cornifer doesn't appear to leave a card behind in that area. He hides behind a backdrop and there's not even any scattered paper leading up to him. He's just super spooked and can't wait to get out of there.

What's weird is that I can't recall my first entrance to deepnest being like it's going currently. This time I waltzed in through the mantis entrance, but on my first run I fell through some collapsible floor and could immediately leave the zone with an exit to the right. Can't seem to find this entrance this time!

E: found it. Was in a completely different zone than I thought. Must've gone through the game in a very different order last time.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 28, 2017

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I have bought everything there is to buy... is there anything I can do with all this Geo? I already got the vessel fragment from the fountain.

Also I'm assuming I'm going to have to do one of these dream boss refights, right? I'm sitting at 1200 essence and I'm not sure there are any warrior dreams left.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

OzFactor posted:

I have bought everything there is to buy... is there anything I can do with all this Geo? I already got the vessel fragment from the fountain.

Also I'm assuming I'm going to have to do one of these dream boss refights, right? I'm sitting at 1200 essence and I'm not sure there are any warrior dreams left.

When you summon the Grimm Troupe there will be an NPC who exists primarily as a geo sinkhole.

Divine turns your Fragile charms into Unbreakable charms for 9/12/15k respectively for Greed/Heart/Strength

And yeah I'm pretty sure the essence costs are tuned around needing to do at least one dream boss. If you're at 1200, that means you're definitely missing at least one warrior dream though.

edit: Have you got the Shadow Dash? One of the dream warriors requires that lategame upgrade to get to.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

Have you activated the crimson lantern, yet? It leads to a vendor that's a huge moneysink. If you haven't, explore the howling cliffs some more, a little ways away from where Cornifer was.

And yes, you'll probably have to fight a dream boss. You should be in a good spot to fight them if you've spent all your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I have been devouring this game (or has it been devouring....me?) and can't really tell how far in I am, but 2 things have been bugging me. (for reference, my most recent power up is the double jump, and I have been tasked with fighting the 3 dreamers)

- What are the rotten eggs, king idols, city crest etc. for? I thought I would have run into an NPC by now who would want something to do with any of them but have not had any luck. I feel like I am missing something obvious.

- There's a yellow, glowing orb that shows up when I pull out at least two of the area maps I have. Does this mean I have collected everything in that area?

really great game and wish I didn't sleep on it for so long. Has quickly risen up my favs for this year and probably all time and still feels like I have so much left to do.