Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
CS:GO is at a weird speed for me. I really dug DOOM 2016 and I'm pretty sure CS movement is about the same pace but I feel like its a bit too fast and I move that little bit too far each time when peeking. I want some kind of twatty keyboard sensitivity controls to complement the mouse ones.

Tldr i need to git gud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

Jeez I just can't get into any fps that doesn't make me constantly smash the jump button to go fast, I don't know why anyone wouldn't like this kind of gameplay.

You don't need to constantly hit the jump button to strafe jump..... I probably wouldn't like having to do that either

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Can we at least all agree that Bayonetta is a shockingly stupid name? It's up there with Starcraft 2's Wings of Liberty for low effort trash naming.

No, I like it because its stupid

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bayo is a very good abbreviation name too

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Stupid Dweeb: "Uh, guys, does anyone realize that in this game youre playing as someone literally called 'Big Boss' "

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

well why not posted:

I often reminisce about Battlefield 2 but then am snapped back to reality by memories of dolphin diving and getting sniped by jets for hours on end. Good game, bad balance, bad community.

Removing jets from Bad Company was the best idea they've ever had.

Here's an unpopular opinion - between 2008 and 2010 EA games had a run of titles that's yet to be topped by any company. Mirror's Edge, Skate, Burnout, Dead Space Bad Company and Mass Effect all sprung from this time.

Ill agree with you, with the caveat that the years between 2006 and 2014 video gaming was a bleak hellscape so its not surprising that EA managed to be top of the trash heap for a while. Thank god for 2015 and beyond

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NonzeroCircle posted:

CS:GO is at a weird speed for me. I really dug DOOM 2016 and I'm pretty sure CS movement is about the same pace but I feel like its a bit too fast and I move that little bit too far each time when peeking. I want some kind of twatty keyboard sensitivity controls to complement the mouse ones.

Tldr i need to git gud

CS:GO is way SLOWER than Doom on movement. What matters in CS:GO is aim speed.

Jeza posted:

I don't hate, or even care about Bayonetta in the slightest. All I'm saying is: if I walk in on somebody playing it, I'm going to think they have a taste of a teenager.

It's tongue is WAY in it's cheek and it's gameplay is loving awesome, pretty much why it's toleratable. It knows precisely how stupid and ridiculous it is and it doesn't care.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dubplate Fire posted:

It was cool before then, I remember going to the arcade as a kid and seeing the much cooler older kids doing fatalities and poo poo. The digitized characters were also very cool at the time. Street Fighter II was getting real stale and it was a nice change of pace. Looking back the game was a stiff piece of poo poo, but it was more about the spectacle than the actual game. Mortal Kombat 2 was actually a good game, and everything else since then has been complete poo poo. Street Fighter II (pick your version) is still the best fighting game of all time.

In my arcades as a kid, Mortal Kombat was played sometimes .. but only sometimes. Street Fighter II had a LINE. It always did.

This changed around Mortal Kombat 2 or 3 but the ratio was like "1-3 people at Mortal Kombat, 10-20 people on Street Fighter II." By the time MK3 rolled around I'd say it was like a 50/50 split.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I always feel like strafing is double the speed of forwards walking for some reason. Got my mouse set to 1.7 sens but am gonna lower it a bit more. The twitchiness some players seem to have is ridiculous, I genuinely don't get how they can play like that

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NonzeroCircle posted:

I always feel like strafing is double the speed of forwards walking for some reason. Got my mouse set to 1.7 sens but am gonna lower it a bit more. The twitchiness some players seem to have is ridiculous, I genuinely don't get how they can play like that

Oh I don't disagree, it's one of the reasons I don't play CS:GO all that much. I prefer slightly slowed down pacing myself, always have all my life so it's not a "Oh I'm getting older and losing reflexes" thing.

It's kind of funny because I get my rear end kicked in CS:GO but can go like literally 30:1 in GTA:Online competitive modes.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Natural Selection 2 is a great game with asymmetric gameplay that people didn't know how to wrap their heads around. It's a shame barely anyone plays the best example of a mashup between an FPS and RTS.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I think I notice game pace alot more in multiplayer rather than single player plus I seem to get perpetually put in games with hyperactive Polish teens which probably doesn't help much. I shied away from CS for years thinking it'd be too slow but boy was I wrong on that one!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Can we at least all agree that Bayonetta is a shockingly stupid name? It's up there with Starcraft 2's Wings of Liberty for low effort trash naming.

It's a pretty boss name Imo

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Neurolimal posted:

Something can be embarassing without being sexist, and for most people openly airing out what your fetishes are and what you consider sexy is most certainly embarassing

My grandmother used to read trashy romance novels who's covers always had some shirtless dude (frequently riding a horse) making out with a woman. She'd leave this novels laying around all over her house. No one gave a poo poo.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Would your opinion be different if the shirtless hunk had a very small head?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

The Dennis System posted:

My grandmother used to read trashy romance novels who's covers always had some shirtless dude (frequently riding a horse) making out with a woman. She'd leave this novels laying around all over her house. No one gave a poo poo.

That's because grandmothers reading trashy romance books with hunky men on the cover is cool, whereas your anatomically correct "Furry Edition" of the Kama Sutra is better left for after bedtime with a torch under the covers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Soul Calibur sucked after the first one.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

mind the walrus posted:

Yes. It was unambiguously lovely for Valve to release L4D2 so soon after the first. A lot of customers got burnt. I respect that and agree it wasn't right.

That said the game stands on its own and is better than the original, and going by this thread that's the real unpopular opinion.

L4D2 is better in every way. The L4D maps are better in L4D2. But the way they handled L4D continues to burn people. A young friend of mine who doesn't have a lot of money to spend on games was thinking about buying L4D1 until I talked him out of it. They should have just withdrawn that thing from the market.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a VERY unpopular opinion right now: I don't feel like Take Two, so far, has ever ripped me off or ruined a game with it's monetization.

I know, I know. I'll be the first to say Shark Cards for GTA are the most ridiculously overpriced things ever, and that the price of in-game items in GTA:O has been going through the roof. Here's the thing: It's still pretty balanced.

Why? You're paying for Variety, not competitiveness. One play through of all the heists can you can be up and running with competitive weapons for your level (which you can't buy), at least two good combat vehicles and some business and a bunker. So yeah, some other guy might buy 20 good combat vehicles, but why do I care? I could have bought the other ones, I bought the ones I wanted.

To top if off, all the overpriced stuff seems like it's made crap fluff on purpose. The more expensive it is, the more it sucks, with rare exceptions. In the last DLC I got everything I wanted for like 5 million. People keep going "But it'd take 500 hours to get everything.." and I just shrug and go "Do people have to have EVERYTHING?"

It's the difference between buying vertical power (like Battlefront) and broad power, where you're really just getting more things you can do, but you're still just as easily fought by a guy who only has more limited, but equal, options. My point is you could spend hundreds of bucks on a fleet of supercars and the Oppressor flying rocket bike I bought easily with in-game money in less than like less than a day's grind would blow up every single one of them, so I am not offended by this economic model.

And if people's obsessive collecting of vehicles that they'll never use and are probably inferior to ones they own fuels non-stop free DLC for like 5 years running, then I am all for it. I can't get mad at the model for working. I've never once felt forced into buying their crap currency and I've gotten a lot of enjoyable free DLC out of people who do. Until things change, I can't hate burn them in the microtransaction hate pile.

ED: More importantly I've also never felt cheated by people that DID buy things because like I said, most of it's either exactly what I'd have or worse. I do feel cheated by the insane cheating, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 18, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

limp_cheese posted:

Natural Selection 2 is a great game with asymmetric gameplay that people didn't know how to wrap their heads around. It's a shame barely anyone plays the best example of a mashup between an FPS and RTS.

Because genre mashups are really dumb and especially that mashup is bad because either you're an fps player where playing well is the equivalent of a call of duty 'go here, do this' corridor shooter or an RTS player where the units don't do anything you say and your level of control is massively nerfed.

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

Hi, it's me, the guy who only joins the marines, because the learning curve for the aliens is just too loving steep. The developers hosed it all up when they made Combat mode a stand alone game that no one bought/played. Anyone who played a FPS before can have fun and reasonable success as a marine in a short time. Whereas as a newbie alien you die constantly and have to wait a long rear end time before you can practice again as a Fade or whatever. Without Combat mode there is just no good way to practice their movement and abilities without playing for hundreds of hours.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, most servers in NS2 run the pre-game sandbox that lets you goof off as a lerk/fade/onos. NS2 is great, it just suffers from a learning curve (imo either Commander rather than Aliens in particular) and a very very niche market, which hurts a multiplayer only game.

Unpopular opinion: I had more fun with Rage than I did with Borderlands 2. Right up until the very very end of Rage, it was 100x a better shooter, more immersive, an economy I cared about. Then it didn't have an ending, but oh well still better than the time wasted in BL2. I guess BL2 had multiplayer?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Because genre mashups are really dumb and especially that mashup is bad because either you're an fps player where playing well is the equivalent of a call of duty 'go here, do this' corridor shooter or an RTS player where the units don't do anything you say and your level of control is massively nerfed.

IMO Tremulous was always superior to NS, because you did the base building as a common grunt, anyone could take a construction gun, and there were benefits to running around with it coordinating to make advance bases (at least before Stage 3, when aliens would get a unit that can devour small bases)

It had a pretty fun power struggle, where at Stage 1 aliens were like microscopic Xenomorphs that could 2shot humans but melted to base turrets, then at Stage 2 humans got helmets that turned that alien type useless, jetpacks, and flamethrowers. Then at stage 3 Aliens could steamroll Stage 2 humans, but at Stage 3 humans they could beat aliens with proper teamwork.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 18, 2017

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Mass Effect 1 was by far the best of the three and was a triumph in introducing a huge detailed immersive world. I have no idea why people bitch about the combat so much. The Mako was loving awesome

ME2 wasn't bad, but really took away the "you're in a big universe" feel and turned it into a gallery shooter

ME3 was one of the worst, cringiest games I've ever played. The dialog was horribly written to the point where I had difficulty even trying to parse what they were trying to say half the time. they ruined all the characters. personifying the ship and that whole subplot makes me feel embarrassed to say I paid money for that game. when they brought out the the stupid ninja guy I literally did this

https://i.imgur.com/bhpRYOV.gifv

and never went back

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ME1 was the best and felt like it had decent RPG elements with a serviceable story, ME2 had an absolutely terrible story and so many of the characters had side stories that were just "daddy issues" and nothing else and was full of so many stupid loving plot holes and inconsistencies

ME1: YO holy poo poo you're the first human Spectre (iirc?)

ME2: hey remember that big plot point from the first game, me neither, also I hate my dad!!!!!!!!

"Hey shepherd, a weird antagonistic organization from the first game just resurrected you, you ok"
"Yeah I'm cool *questions absolutely nothing about this revelation*"

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Good soup! posted:

ME1 was the best and felt like it had decent RPG elements with a serviceable story, ME2 had an absolutely terrible story and so many of the characters had side stories that were just "daddy issues" and nothing else and was full of so many stupid loving plot holes and inconsistencies

ME1: YO holy poo poo you're the first human Spectre (iirc?)

ME2: hey remember that big plot point from the first game, me neither, also I hate my dad!!!!!!!!

"Hey shepherd, a weird antagonistic organization from the first game just resurrected you, you ok"
"Yeah I'm cool *questions absolutely nothing about this revelation*"

Yeah... Oh hey remember the reapers? Now we have THE COLLECTORS They're so mysterious we don't know anything about them or even why we call them the collectors. *is later revealed they are collecting people to great surprise*

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Everyone knows why they're called collectors, they collect poo poo

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
gently caress Cuphead. I'm not gonna play that game no more.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
L4D was pretty much over when they patched out the ability to bind your deathscream and all other dialog to keys, as well as patching out the ability to physics object people through the elevator's floor in no mercy.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Cancelling fight night is actually the most unforgivable thing ea has ever done.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sardonik posted:

L4D was pretty much over when they patched out the ability to bind your deathscream and all other dialog to keys, as well as patching out the ability to physics object people through the elevator's floor in no mercy.

I loved spamming THERE'S VIRGIL! as Coach in L4D2 over and over

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People who poo poo on VR as a fad are going to look like dopes in a few years.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sardonik posted:

I did not know this happened and agree that the game is now dead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

People who poo poo on VR as a fad are going to look like dopes in a few years.
VR isn't a fad, but I'm interested in it for every reason other than games. Well horror games are probably ok.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I enjoyed Red Dead Revolver more than I should have.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

DogonCrook posted:

Cancelling fight night is actually the most unforgivable thing ea has ever done.

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

THPS2 is the best game ever made and we should have just packed it in after it

like welp that was fun I'm gonna have to get a life now.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DogonCrook posted:

:agreed:

I bought UFC 2 for a tenner hoping it would scratch the fight night itch but it's just really bad. Maybe if there are custom matches where you can turn off grappling and submissions it might be slightly better because those dumb minigames are terrible.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

DogonCrook posted:

Cancelling fight night SKATE is actually the most unforgivable thing ea has ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Convoolio posted:

THPS2 is the best game ever made and we should have just packed it in after it

:yeah: