Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Im trying to make some sous vide eggs to mitigate some of my brunch prep. I have a few snags i run into trying to be accurate.

I go through a lot of poached eggs, it seems like id be able to zero in with a few eggs at a time, but the water temp change after I heat up the machine and add the eggs is pretty drastic and confuses me. So far I have tried two different cooks/times and was hoping you guys could help me out.

I go through 10 dozen eggs a week. Previously I have been doing 2 batches at 62.5c for 90 minutes, then chilling in ice. The results are ok, white is a little runny, yolk is good. The outer white is pretty loose and separates during reheating (a simmering sauce pan of water). The end result is usually good, though pretty loose still. Id prefer to not lose the little bit of white but its not a huge deal. Today I found the 75c egg for 13 minutes on eggsteps and tried a small batch of those. They looked good, though the complications of doing so many eggs for such a short period of time and adding in the water temp change is overwhelming.

I us the anova precision cooker, and am likely going to get another soon.

TL;DR
I need to do 120 poached eggs a week and am looking to sous vide as an option. Anyone have any experience doing volumes like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unburdened by facts: would putting two circulators in the same bath help keep the temperature more consistent when adding your cubic foot of eggs?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

probably wouldn't be an issue having 2 circulators, providing they're both functional.
the biggest issue i can see is that you'll need to keep the eggs apart enough so water can flow, while not cracking any if possible.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Eggsteps?

If you can increase the thermal mass of the water it can be more resilient when adding colder or warmer items. Like was suggested you probably need additional heating capacity to ensure that you can recover promptly or reach the desired temp. Heating to overtemp is inconsistent without having better volume ballparks and trial and error - but that may be what is being suggested for some home users depending.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you stuck a cast iron pan in there and let it come to temp, it would probably also help it get back to temperature after egg insertion.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ptkfvk posted:

Im trying to make some sous vide eggs to mitigate some of my brunch prep. I have a few snags i run into trying to be accurate.

I go through a lot of poached eggs, it seems like id be able to zero in with a few eggs at a time, but the water temp change after I heat up the machine and add the eggs is pretty drastic and confuses me. So far I have tried two different cooks/times and was hoping you guys could help me out.

<snip>

TL;DR
I need to do 120 poached eggs a week and am looking to sous vide as an option. Anyone have any experience doing volumes like this?

What type of container are you using? If you are cooking large batches, you need a container big enough to hold everything and let water move freely, and one that is insulated well enough that it isn't losing heat beyond what the anovo can maintain. People have modified a cheapish cooler for this purpose, and you might consider something similar.

Also, eggs are perfectly fine to be at room temperature for a bit. Take your eggs out of the fridge and let them warm up before putting them in the water. This will pull less heat out of the water and you'll see less dip.

Two machines will probably fight a bit, turning on and off more often, and you'll get overtemp situations more often, but it won't be terrible. I'd personally still say a better insulated cooking container (random link) with a hole cut in the lid would be a better bet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you have a bluetooth anova (800w) it will struggle to heat a 4.75 gallon cambro container packed with food to low temps. I did 20 shortrib strips in 5 flat one gallon bags with an inch of room in between each bag at 140°F and the far corner would be about 2-3 degrees lower than the target temp.

The wifi anova is 900w and I assume it won't struggle with a 4.75 gallon cambro packed with food (although I've never tested it).

12 quart cambro if you have the 800w anova:
https://www.amazon.com/Camwear-Poly...cambro+12+quart

4.75 gallon (19 quart) cambro if you have the 900w anova:
https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189...rds=cambro+4.75

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 8, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The big cambrio is fine with the 800w if you cover the top. I do it weekly

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I have had my Anova for a few weeks now. It has been great at keeping the set temperature constant; however, while doing a 165 F cook tonight, it went a bit bonkers. I know some fluctuations may happen, but the range (+/- 5 F) and speed it changes at seems a bit off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-kMeyo5j4g
Is it time to call in the warranty? Granted I do not stare at it like a hawk while it is doing its thing, so not sure if this has happened before, but when I saw my phone and it said "your anova is at 171 F"... I thought something was wrong.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Might be steam getting in through the vents. Try putting some protection around your anova to keep steam away from the vents on its backside. If it persists, call in the warranty.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks, I'll try that next time. When I did a 24h cook I did cover the pot with foil and left an opening far from the anova, maybe that's what kept it OK that time.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
With thanksgiving coming up and every cooks nightmare of serving a dry turkey. I'm wondering if anyone has ever puddled their turkey. Like the whole loving thing.

EDIT: Found this - https://skillet.lifehacker.com/will-it-sous-vide-a-whole-thanksgiving-turkey-1789112054

sterster fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 14, 2017

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

sterster posted:

With thanksgiving coming up and every cooks nightmare of serving a dry turkey. I'm wondering if anyone has ever puddled their turkey. Like the whole loving thing.

EDIT: Found this - https://skillet.lifehacker.com/will-it-sous-vide-a-whole-thanksgiving-turkey-1789112054

I do the Turkey Porchetta from Serious Eats and this year I'm buying a whole turkey and doing the dark meat Jerked.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

sterster posted:

Doing the whole bird like that is dumb and bad, but fabricating the bird and doing the parts in the puddle machine is cool and good.

Plus if you break the bird down you can use the carcass and wing tips to make pressure cooker stock for gravy.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SubG posted:

Doing the whole bird like that is dumb and bad, but fabricating the bird and doing the parts in the puddle machine is cool and good.

Plus if you break the bird down you can use the carcass and wing tips to make pressure cooker stock for gravy.

The article makes the same point.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

toplitzin posted:

The article makes the same point.
Cool, gently caress if I'm going to read a several hundred word blog post about cooking things in a dumb and bad way to find out if they ever figure out it's dumb and bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SubG posted:

fabricating the bird

That’s way too advanced for me, even if you just mean “raise from a hatchling”!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I think they meant break the bird down into parts.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So now that the PolyScience iOS sous vide app no longer works on the current iOS, what apps do you all like for time and temperature calculation? Looks like there are two paid apps, ‘sous vide dash’ and ‘Celsius somethingorother’ and a bunch of free garbage.

What’s good for putting in your kind of size of meat, bath and target temps and letting it do cooking and pasteurization times and charts for you?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ultimate Mango posted:

So now that the PolyScience iOS sous vide app no longer works on the current iOS, what apps do you all like for time and temperature calculation? Looks like there are two paid apps, ‘sous vide dash’ and ‘Celsius somethingorother’ and a bunch of free garbage.

What’s good for putting in your kind of size of meat, bath and target temps and letting it do cooking and pasteurization times and charts for you?

I usually just use Baldwin's tables, but I don't know if there's an app for that or not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sous Vide Dash is Baldwin's tables.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In The Food Lab, Kenji's extra-sweet roasted sweet potatoes call for par-cooking in water between 135 and 175°F. Converts the starch into simple sugars, exactly like the "mash" step of brewing beer.

Has anybody tried this? In brewing, exact temperature matters a lot, because two enzymes create different sugars, and they are each maximized at different temperatures. I'd imagine that might be the case here too.

Also, are there any other starchy foods you might try this way?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If using a water circulator Kenji recommends 66C.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
That is dead in the mash temp range for beer so that makes sense.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I haven't made sweet potatoes in another way for ages because you just dump them in the puddle for a few hours and then do whatever you want. I think you can just do it in advance too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jeoh posted:

I haven't made sweet potatoes in another way for ages because you just dump them in the puddle for a few hours and then do whatever you want. I think you can just do it in advance too.

Wait hold up.
My wife is going to make sweet potato pie. Can someone explain this and if I want to do what you guys are talking about? If I’m reading right, a loose (no bag) parboil at a certain temp maximizes natural sugars?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yes, sweet potatoes have natural amylase enzymes in them that convert starch into sugar. Alpha amylase's ideal temp is 154°f, beta amylase's ideal temp is 148°f. Since their activity is more of a bell curve over temps and times, 151°f is a good catchall temp. Then you cook, which will soften the sweet potato enough to be palatable, but will also destroy any enzymes that didn't already get used up.

If you really wanna go nuts, you can do this enzyme step, do the cook step, blend, then do a second enzyme step using external amylases that you got from a brew shop. Then you spin it in a centrifuge and you get clear sugary juice:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 19, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Interesting info. A little more involved a suggestion, but I’m glad to know it. I’m just curious though... if she’s gonna make sweet potato pie, would using the puddle be of benefit? And if I did, would I want to cut and put in bags so as to not lose flavor-to-water?

[Ed] or is the whole thing moot because it gets sugar anyway?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah if you're throwing in sugar who cares

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah if you're throwing in sugar who cares

Enzyme bath time converts starches to sugar, so no puddle + sugar gives you starch plus sugar final product. Puddle + lower amount of sugar gives you a lower starch product which may or may not be good depending on what you want.

For sweet potato casserole, I think I'd miss the starch. For a cheesecake or smooth pie, I think I'd puddle.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could experiment with using sous vide to develop sweetness and then adding less sugar to the pie, but Thanksgiving probably isn't the day to try that experiment for the first time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Well it’s just thanksgiving for my wife, myself and my two toddlers. But yes. Another time!

(Not to say I’m not cooking like 8 dishes!!)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've never been squeamish about subjecting family or even dates to culinary experiments. They usually work out fine. Maybe get a few cans of the canned pumpkin as a backup?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anova precision cooker Bluetooth is $95 on Amazon, $10 less than their last sale! I'm already jealous of you!

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culina...ASIN=B00UKPBXM4

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

Anova precision cooker Bluetooth is $95 on Amazon, $10 less than their last sale! I'm already jealous of you!

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culina...ASIN=B00UKPBXM4

Thanks for this!

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

SubG posted:

My go-to for the past two thanksgivings has been to bone, stuff and roll the turkey before sous videing it at 60c for 6 hours. Brown it off for 30m in a high heat oven right before serving and it's the most juicy delicious turkey you'll ever have.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm doing just a turkey breast and online I'm seeing everything from 131F to 147F for a wide range of times. What does this thread think?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm doing just a turkey breast and online I'm seeing everything from 131F to 147F for a wide range of times. What does this thread think?

here's a list of temps and the various results of said cooking temps from serious eats
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SuperiorColliculus posted:

bone, stuff and roll the turkey

Can you please clarify what you mean here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

Can you please clarify what you mean here?

Probably means remove the breasts from the carcass, butterfly the breasts, fill them with figs/apricots/etc, then roll up like a porchetta

like this:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/turkey-porchetta-food-lab-recipe.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/sous-vide-deep-fried-turkey-porchetta-recipe.html