Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Skreemer posted:

So, what was it? I get a 404 when i click the link.

Since a gallery can contain more than one image you can't just add .jpg to the gallery URL, you need to copy the image URL. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Fixed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Since a gallery can contain more than one image you can't just add .jpg to the gallery URL, you need to copy the image URL. :eng101:

you can also change the TLD to i.imgur.com :eng101:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thanks friends

I'm using the imgur app, and Idk wtf

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I wish this was a production bike:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen and I feel zero surprise at it looking a million times better than a normal gixxer.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That's a pretty sweet throwback to/update of the OG Katana

e: holy poo poo, it's based on the current GSX1000F platform. Crazy how seemingly easy it is take a solid bike that unfortunately looks like a bloated guppy and turn it into something that has classic appeal without looking dated. Sad it takes a custom job by a magazine to do it

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 17, 2017

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Hoooollllyyyy poo poo the neokatana... ahem... shin katana looks nice.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'd daily that so hard, and I'm not even a fan of the original katana. Why is it so hard for a company to make something like this, instead of the yawnfest the GSXF has always been?

What even is the purpose of the GSX? Does anyone buy it over the GSXR, if that's what they are after?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The purpose of the gsx and similar bikes is to sell to middle aged men who walk into a dealer intending to buy a gsxr for willy waving reasons only to discover it's a lot less painful to buy a gsx than to put bar risers and a top box on a gixxer.

Basically it's the bike 90% of literbike people use their bikes for.

E: I might add that I feel 100% vindicated for saying 80's/90's sporty bikes are the next great internet bike tend while hipster bullshit was still at it's height. This thing is just the start, brace for modern superbikes with double round headlights and other anachronistic bullshit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://giant.gfycat.com/CompassionateSimpleIndianpalmsquirrel.webm

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wow, GTA V graphics mods are getting pretty amazing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The purpose of the gsx and similar bikes is to sell to middle aged men who walk into a dealer intending to buy a gsxr for willy waving reasons only to discover it's a lot less painful to buy a gsx than to put bar risers and a top box on a gixxer.

Basically it's the bike 90% of literbike people use their bikes for.

E: I might add that I feel 100% vindicated for saying 80's/90's sporty bikes are the next great internet bike tend while hipster bullshit was still at it's height. This thing is just the start, brace for modern superbikes with double round headlights and other anachronistic bullshit.

I'm okay with this. Also NACA ducts and vacuum-cleaner-hose ram-air setups.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No train passing underneath the jump, voted 1.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

I might add that I feel 100% vindicated for saying 80's/90's sporty bikes are the next great internet bike trend while hipster bullshit was still at it's height. This thing is just the start, brace for modern superbikes with double round headlights and other anachronistic bullshit.

You only think double round headlights are bullshit because you haven't seen Honda's new CB4 concept:

Is that a cooling fan in the nose? Maybe a weird supercharger intake? Nope, it's a goddamn RAT :psyduck:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Likewise, also rectangular headlights.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 17, 2017

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

lol owned

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
later fuckos, catch me in outer space

tjones
May 13, 2005
Is that the same jump that the freeway jumper broke his face on?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is that a cooling fan in the nose? Maybe a weird supercharger intake? Nope, it's a goddamn RAT :psyduck:
A RAT for what? So your battery only charges at highway speeds? Sounds impractical.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
According to the Visordown article it powers a touchscreen on the tank for... some reason. Yeah, I don't get it either.

e/ bbcode is breaking the link in my first post, article's here: https://goo.gl/VF694X

Honda posted:

The front of the bike features a fan used to convert the motorcycle’s kinetic energy to power the touch-screen located on the tank. The screen provides constant connectivity, to allow the rider to follow the road through digital maps, make emergency calls or simply to connect devices.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 17, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like old double round headlight bikes, they're some of the best bikes ever made. I just don't think dragging out all those old styling cues and poorly bodging them onto brand new bikes is any better than the misshapen 'cafe racers' abortions clogging showrooms now. It'll make bike companies a shitload of money though.

Collateral Damage posted:

A RAT for what? So your battery only charges at highway speeds? Sounds impractical.

I think you'll find the purpose is to impress journalists with Honda's cleverness at a bike show.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

I think you'll find the purpose is to impress journalists with Honda's cleverness at a bike show.

They should have gone the other way and made it into an electrically-powered forced-induction turbine that is button activated.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

captainOrbital posted:

They should have gone the other way and made it into an electrically-powered forced-induction turbine that is button activated.

If its a induction power adder Honda is going to be running away from it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

You only think double round headlights are bullshit because you haven't seen Honda's new CB4 concept:

Likewise, also rectangular headlights.

The RAT is silly, and the intake looks to be under the seat. They should at least just use that hole for intake.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

RAT seems like a reasonable idea for extending the range on electric bikes, but a really dumb idea for powering a nonessential gimmick on a gas bike.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

RAT seems like a reasonable idea for extending the range on electric bikes, but a really dumb idea for powering a nonessential gimmick on a gas bike.

This is hilarious and I hope you understand why.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

MetaJew posted:

What if you put it on a treadmill with a fan blowing on it? huh smartguy what then?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I had a EE professor who told us stories about how "inventors" would come to him for consulting about their inventions.

One guy came with a crayon drawing of a car with solar panels on the hood and a wind turbine on the roof.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

MetaJew posted:

i'm kinda hungover and my brain isn't super working right now can you explain why capturing wind / airflow as a secondary charge source wouldn't work

is it becasue the resistance of the turbine on the motor would mitigate any wattage gains

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The energy needed to spin the turbine blades comes from the bike's forward movement though the air. As the air pushes against the blades and causes them to spin, the force is transmitted into the bike and the whole vehicle slows down.

In a perfect situation with no losses, the amount of energy recaptured by the fan would be exactly the amount of energy you'd need to re-accelerate the bike to its original speed before you opened the fan duct. In reality, because of aerodynamic and electrical losses, you would always lose more energy to drag than you would regain from the generator.

Ask yourself if you can make a solar-powered flashlight that powers itself by shining its own beam onto the solar cell. Same concept.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah it's almost as if that thing is only on there to look cool and trendy.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Plus, it blocks a perfect spot to, you know, put a headlight. I'd be much more impressed if that was a big honkin collimator and all you could see is the yellow phosphor of an led in that space.

Can you imagine having to clean the bugs off that RAT?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Regenerative braking for an ebike.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hell yes son

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
New Guzzi adventure, I love it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sexy

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I bet touratech is already giggling about all the money they'll be making in the crash bars and other new poo poo they'll be selling through guzzi dealers alongside that

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A transverse V adventure bike that doesn't come with crash bars as standard seems ludicrously optimistic.

e/ heck, any cross V or boxer, regardless of whether the styling suggests off-road use. You're gonna drop it at some point and cylinder heads smacking the road seems like something you don't really want to happen ever

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 19, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, see, you think you know what adventure bikes are used for, but you do not observe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

A transverse V adventure bike that doesn't come with crash bars as standard seems ludicrously optimistic.

e/ heck, any cross V or boxer, regardless of whether the styling suggests off-road use. You're gonna drop it at some point and cylinder heads smacking the road seems like something you don't really want to happen ever

Depending on where you live, heading to starbucks can be quite the adventure.

That muffler looks like it's right in the way of luggage too. But let's not get caught up on the details and remember what the actual purpose of the bike is.