Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Nice, the comic was great.

Silegna posted:

One, that comic is REALLY well drawn. Was that digital or actual colored pencils?

Thanks! Hadn't drawn for a while, but I'd been considering doing some art for the LP for some time.

It's digital, using pen w/tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would love some art, if you've got the time. You've got a style that complements the game pretty well.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Greyarc posted:

I wasn't sure how to respond to these comments, so I made a dumb comic instead:

In any case, Kamiizumi's handling of the situation has been less than ideal. The suicide-by-Edea thing is pretty likely.

In other news, provided things go okay, I should be tackling the salve-maker job entry soon.

Quoting comic for new page.

It is very powerful.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The comic is good.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Salve-Maker

Salve-Maker is a healing/utility job and a solid alternative or supplement to White Mage, as well as offering several unique gameplay twists of their own. They are the only ones capable of using the special compound items, which can be mixed to make all sorts of buffs/debuffs/elemental attacks.

They are an upgrade to Final Fantasy 5's Chemist, revolving almost entirely around the use of items. Make sure to upgrade Norende's item and compound shops early!

Job symbol, and recurring motif for the Salve-Maker, is this face/mask-like symbol. Similar faces are used in many Japanese media, and may be based on either Noh masks or the Haniwa, japanese figurines historically (ca.300-710) buried with the dead, making them appropriate for death-dealer Qada's job. Some other possible related uses of this imagery: Mario's shy guys, Animal Crossing gyroids, most of the npcs in Mischief Makers, No Face from Spirited Away.

Job Command is a mortar and pestle, used across the world in traditional medicine to crush ingredients into powder.

Salve-Makers are decent magic-users, and since compounding takes no MP, most any MP-using job can be useful to stick on them for additional versatility.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Compounding: Combine two items to obtain a special effect.
Level 2 - First Aid: Restore HP to ally with lowest HP at end of turn. Unaffected by silence.
Level 3 - Experiment: Transforms a consumable into an attack item.
Level 4 - Attack Item Amp: Damage from attack items raised 150%. (Cost: 1)
Level 5 - Inoculate: Use status-curing item to give immunity to that status for 6 turns.
Level 6 - Auto-Potion: Automatically use potion on self when damage is taken. (Cost: 1)
Level 7 - Shorten Ailment: Chance to cure sleep, paralyze, dread, confuse, charm, and stop at start of turn raised by 50%. (Cost: 1)
Level 8 - Widen Area: Item use will apply to all party members or enemies. (1 BP)
Level 9 - Healing Lore: Allows other jobs to equip the Salve-Maker specialty. (Cost: 2)
Level 10 - Turn Toxic: Inflict poison and deal damage equal to recovery amount of item used.
Level 11 - Auto-Phoenix: Automatically use a phoenix down if an ally is K.O.'d. (Cost: 2)
Level 12 - Collect: Get an item during battle. Differs by location.
Level 13 - Resurrect: Resurrect all K.O.'d allies and restore 25% health.
Level 14 - Feel No Pain: HP does not reduce for 2 turns, after which all damage is applied. (Cost: 3)

Compounding is the heart of Salve-Maker, and I'll discuss it in more detail below. Aside from that they some solid abilities, from Attack Item Amp for a greater offensive role to Widen Area, First Aid, and Resurrect to make their healing as good as or better than a White Mage.

There are 89 different types of compounds, all of which can be viewed as encylopedia entries in D's Journal once you've created them.

In general, there are two categories of items, and successful compounds can only be created when you mix two items in the same category. Mixing items from the two categories together results in the above Rage Orb, which is considered a failure.

All Rage Orb does is inflict one (1) damage and make the enemy target your salve-maker. Not good. So, what do successful compounds do?

The first category is regular items, such as potions or elixirs - classic Final Fantasy stuff which can be used on their own or in a compound. Items mixed using the first category create enhanced versions of items. For example, compounding hi-potion (restores 500 HP) and ether (restores 40 MP) creates quarter elixir (restores 2,500 HP and 250 MP).

The second category is items such as beast liver or fairy wing. These cannot be bought in stores and can only be used in compounds. Items mixed using the second category create buff, debuff, or attack items. For example, compounding beast liver and dragon fang creates Giant's Draft, which doubles maximum HP and restores all HP to a target.

Salve-Maker is an incredibly potent support job -- the only limitation is the number of items you own.

When you use magic/ability/items which heal HP and/or MP, doubles the effectiveness of any recovery effects. A good option if you have a straightforward dedicated healer.

The theme this time is: fashionable(?) yet unsettling hospital/sanitarium wear. Black rubber gloves and boots (or in the case of Edea, heels) contrast with sickly yellow jackets for the men and minidresses for the women -- the latter for added sexy nurse angle. The men also carry either decorations or packs with the salve-maker icon around their necks and vials of colorful chemicals around their waist for easy access...

...While the women have sacks with the salve-maker icon on them, which are presumably filled with dry ingredients for deadly compounds.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Also, I'm glad you guys like the comic!

Glazius posted:

I would love some art, if you've got the time. You've got a style that complements the game pretty well.

Time is the big issue, but sure -- if another good scenario crops up, I'll consider doing more.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Here it is, one of my favourite jobs in the entire game.

It is so much fun to craft stuff.

Offense, defense, healing... it is very versatile.

Costs money though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Salve Maker is much more straightforward than FF5's Chemist, in large part because the combinations are actually pretty straightforward if you take a moment to read the descriptions of Compounding items, instead of having to blindly guess. Plus it doesn't have anywhere near as many oddball effects as Chemist did, like changing the level of the target.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No death by math then? That's no fun.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Chemists are usually amazing classes and Salve Maker is no exception. I love using it.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 62: Adopting a New Outlook

As is this arc, now that the crystal is saved and the Eternians are once again foiled.

I'll never let him out of my sight again.

For all the bad stuff that's happened, things have ended happily for many.

Seems this long, hard war is finally coming to its end.

The party's actions in the war, understandably, were only known by a few.

But that's fine; they're doing it for justice and the sake of the world, not for recognition.

Anyway, the party has a kid to drop off before they go bash more Eternian heads in.

You hear that, Egil? That's great news. You couldn't wish for a better family than the Goodmans.

I would hate to see you end up a soldier.

I believe your husband has what it takes to make that happen.

Thank you for your kind words.

Well, then, Egil. You take care of yourself. We'll be back to check on you, so be on your best behavior.

I will... Goodbye, everyone...

Tiz and the others leave. Egil makes to go after them...

...then stops, waving goodbye. Phew.

Although it's not like there weren't signs, too.

You could see it in his face as far back as when Commander Goodman said they'd take in the boys.

Hmm, I suppose, now that you mention it... Hm? Airy...?

Is something wrong? You've been staring off behind us. Are you expecting something?

......The kid, Egil.

Egil? What of him?

There's no way he stayed put! I won't believe it, and I WON'T be tricked!

Ah ha ha! Once bitten, twice shy, eh, Airy?

Hmm, he did seem to take those orders from Eleanor awfully well, considering his usual tone.

Exactly. Something is fishy here, and I refuse to be duped!

You seem like you almost want him to show up.

Ha ha ha, she and Egil have an epic rivalry going by now.

(You can't fool me twice, brat...)

Before leaving for good, the party checks up on Eleanor and Egil again.

It's okay, you don't have to worry about me.

Despite the party's concerns, Egil shows no signs of following them. Last time, he had the higher goal of helping the fire vestal. Now, he'd only be running away for himself.

:unsmith:

And from the lady nearby:

It sounds like the war is finally ending. Once peace is finally here, I'm going to eat until I burst.

The townsfolk at night are doing better now, too, though for some, peace is more bittersweet than others:

I suppose all I can do now is to live on, enough for the both of us. I have to keep my husband's memory alive. I'll find what happiness I can. He'd have wanted that, I know.

Back to the Eschalot, then to Grandship. Nothing's really changed...

Except for one particularly loud patron at the bar.

Hmm? I'm loud? ...And irritating? Apologies! Ha ha, apologies. It's just a shame, is all.

You see, the little inn in Caldisla I use as my base of operations is, well... It's going out of business!

Seems the old innkeep finally succumbed. Poor man can't keep the inn going.

You got it. One trip to Caldisla later:

Huh? Uh... Who are you?

I'm a distant relative of the innkeep. He's too sick to get up and about, so I'm filling in for him.

He's bedridden? Is it serious?

Not at all! The doctor says he doesn't need to stay in bed. But...well, you should see for yourself.

Well, we'd better go see him, then.

The innkeep is where we last saw him.

Uhhrm...

He's having a nightmare.

...Owen...

His son was everything to him...

It must be hard to deal with it alone.

She has to go back to her home soon, I hear.

Oh, it just came up...

Let's check my journal before things take a turn for the worse, hmm? "We'll bring the orphan to the inn we set out from." That sounds relevant, no?

Oh... This is the inn we set out from, and the orphan... I guess that means Egil?

That's nonsense! Mrs. Goodman has given him a good home...

Come to think of it, Egil's parents were guards, just like Owen. He said he was raised by his kind grandfather after they died.

But...

It doesn't have to be permanent. Just until the old man gets better. Do you think we could have Egil stay here a while?

I guess that's up to Egil.

Let's ask around, get a better gauge of how things are going at the inn.

Sounds like Karl's not going to pull out of this on his own. It may just be time for outside intervention.

In the meantime, his distant relative maintains the policy of not charging the party to stay, luckily.

As some commenters noted earlier, chapter 3 requires a ton of traveling from continent to continent. I've been cutting it out, but this time I'll include a brief summary of what that involves for reference's sake.

Let's all give a big hand to the Eschalot for carting the party all over the world, multiple times, at the breakneck speed of 30mph.

Eleanor got a new outfit for Egil when she took him in.

Hello, Egil. You look happy.

He's been bouncing off the walls ever since this morning, when he heard you were coming.

He isn't always this way?

No... Since you left, he's been moody most of the time.

Is that true, Egil?

But I... I still want to travel with you.

Hey, Egil. Can I tell you something? It's about a captain of the guard, who lived in a far off land.

He died in battle, fighting to protect his kingdom.

Just like my mother and father...

And this man's father, he lies sick in bed at the shock of his loss. The captain's father has been of great help to all of us. We owe him a great deal.

I was thinking...

If you would spend some time with the captain's father, I believe it might help him get better. What do you think, Egil?

What? So you didn't come to ask me to go with you? That's a shame...

Hmm...

Okay, I'll do it! I can't say no to you!

Thank you so much, Egil!

If this is Egil's decision, I won't stop him. But you come back anytime you want, okay?

Egil bows to Eleanor, packs his stuff, and leaves with the party.

Hm? Oh. Yeah, a bit, I guess.

Thinking about Egil?

He's just gotten settled at the Goodmans', and now he's being shipped off to a foreign land...

Yeah... There's that, too.

That too...?

You mean Eleanor... Don't you?

Yes. The two of them had decided to take him in, and now...

They had just enough time together to make it painful to part. I feel terrible.

I feel the same. She mustered a smile to see him off, but inside...

Can't be helped, I'm afraid. We can encourage him to write her once he's settled in Caldisla.

I wouldn't mind ferrying the boy to the Goodmans' every once in a while, either.

Ooh, seconded!

And aren't we forgetting someone here? We brought the boy along on a lot of good intentions and not much planning.

What happens if the innkeep says no? It all hinges on him.

I might have a backup plan. Let's pay the king a visit before the two of them meet.

On docking the ship they head straight to the king, who luckily has had no pressing commitments since the local Eternians were disassembled.

The situation is explained off-screen.

A fine idea, I must say. I have been concerned about the innkeep myself.

Egil, it is admirable of you to agree to follow in the innkeep's footsteps. The Kingdom of Caldisla welcomes you!

Ah... You see... I...

I want to be a powerful soldier one day, like my mother and father before me! Like Tiz.

I want to be a mighty warrior with a kind heart, who can protect the ones he loves!

Very well, then! You shall be given access to our training hall, Egil. And I would be honored if you would accept this gift...

What is it?

A badge we give our young soldiers. My captain of the guard, Owen, also wore one once.

This marks you as an apprentice soldier for the Kingdom, Egil. I hope to see you train hard, and become a first-rate soldier.

Wow, thank you!

Thank you, Your Highness!

By the way, Tiz, how is the reconstruction of Norende Village proceeding?

With all your travels to save the world from peril, you must find little time to return, no? Perhaps you could put Egil here in charge of the reconstruction?

Not sure letting an eight-year-old build a village is the best--

Note Egil's title change.

You would be acting on Tiz's behalf.

I'll do it!

Are you sure you can handle all of this at once? Helping out at the inn, training to be a soldier, and supervising the reconstruction... That's a lot to take on.

No sweat for me!

You have unlimited potential, Egil. When the time comes, you shall choose your own path. Until then, be fearless, and follow your heart wherever it may take you.

I will! Thank you!

Luckily, despite the Norende change in office, the Norende minigame is unchanged.

Tiz and Egil rush over to the inn.

Ah, you have a young boy with you. And what's this...?

He wears the badge of a young soldier... That takes me back. My son treasured his above all else... You remind me of him a bit, you know.

I want to be like your son Owen one day. My mother and father were guards as well.

You don't say? I'm sure you'll get there one day.

What a nice family mome--

What better time to check up on Bad Guy Fortress?

Yes, not long ago.

I was told you have an urgent report. Can it not wait until the Council of Six convenes?

No, it cannot... It appears the Fire Crystal has been awakened.

The remaining Black Blades continue to fight alongside the Swordbearers. However, no word has come from Commander Kamiizumi. It seems that morale is plummeting.

Our only option left is an all-out defense of the Earth Crystal. We must cut our losses in that realm.

You propose that we abandon the Black Blades? The forces of the duchy's First Division?

We have underestimated the wind vestal. We shall not make that mistake again, you or I...

If the Earth Crystal were to be awakened, there would no longer be hope for this world, and our ideals would fade to nothingness.

But the wind vestal has no way of traversing the highlands that surround the duchy.

Only the heavy airships helmed by our cadre have the propulsion necessary to make the journey.

Note, the line about Kamiizumi not responding is the same even if he's still alive. Kamiizumi pretty much gave up once the Fire Crystal was awakened.

Shucks, it was no big deal. :allears:

Summon Victor and Victoria immediately. It seems the Council of Six may have to deal with the vestal personally!

Allow me to interrupt...

On that intriguing note, we switch back to the party in Caldisla. Don't want to get too exciting, now.

Egil said he looks so much like his late grandfather it's scary.

Enough about that! We must go to awaken the Earth Crystal!

But we have no way of entering the Duchy of Eternia.

Perhaps it's time to get out that creepy journal of yours, Ringabel?

Earth Crystal, Grandship, engine room. Those are the words that seem to be coming up.

Grandship? Perhaps we'll find a lead there...

The party spends the day gathering supplies in Caldisla. As they prepare to leave, they visit the inn one last time.

This final scene is only available if you visited the innkeep earlier in the chapter.

I will! Piece of cake, I tell you! You be careful, alright?

Hold on a second there.

Thank you for coming all this way to see me... I'd like you to take this as a token of my appreciation.

What is it?

A memento of my son. He's be happy knowing it was in your hands.

You should give this to Egil. It should be for the one following in Owen's footsteps.

Egil is still not ready. Owen would want it used by the one who needs it most now.

I see... Thank you. We'll make good use of it...

Most importantly, this scene shows you have Karl's complete friendship.

But it also...

...rewards a nice stat-boosting accessory which otherwise won't be available for a while.

Next: An unexpected side quest? It was Agnes in the Conservatory with the Axe!

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Egil and Mrs. Goodman
Looking In on the Innkeep
The Innkeep's Sickbed
Discussion at the Inn
Egil's Journey
The Badge of a Young Soldier
A New Family
Just the Earth Crystal Remains
A Lead in Grandship
Owen's Memento

Party Chat:
Wary Airy
Tiz's Thoughts

D's Journal: Eleanor Goodman posted:

Eleanor took in Egil, who had nowhere else to go. She was adamant that he should not end up in the military, but worried whether he would listen, given that both his late parents served as guards. We could not afford to risk taking a child with us on our journey to awaken the crystals...

Egil had apparently been looking forward to our arrival since the morning. This may have foreshadowed the fact that Eleanor would soon be left alone once again. She bid farewell to Egil, accepting that leaving was his decision to make. I admired her for having his best interests at heart.

D's Journal: Egil posted:

The owner of the inn at Caldisla was in low spirits after the death of his son Owen. We decided to bring Egil there to cheer him up.

The king of Caldisla gave Egil permission to use the castle's training hall, and bestowed upon him the young soldier's badge that Owen once held. He also put him in charge of the reconstruction of Norende Village. In this he hoped tot make Egil a capable warrior, and aid both Tiz and the innkeep at the same time.

D's Journal: Karl the Innkeep posted:

After awakening the Fire Crystal, we heard the innkeep had collapsed, and rushed to his side. It seemed that Owen's death was weighing heavily on him. We brought Egil to Caldisla, and thanks in part to the king's good offices, the innkeep returned to his old self.

D's Journal: The King of Caldisla posted:

We brought Egil to Caldisla to cheer up the innkeep, who was distraught at the loss of his only son, Owen. The king agreed to let Egil use the castle's training hall, and awarded him the young soldier's badge that Owen had treasured. He was also put in charge of rebuilding Norende. Egil got his chance to shine, and the innkeep got the companionship he needed.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 21, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, it's nice to see us doing a solid for the people who helped us out.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

This is so cute. It's one of my favourite parts of the game.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Holy hell, poor Mr. and Mrs. Goodman.

"We'll take him in, raise him as our own, and do what we can to keep him from war."
"Okay, sounds great. Thanks!"

[two weeks pass]

"Yeah, we're finally starting to work up a rapport. It's a lot of hard work, but that's what it takes to make a family. What's up?"
"Oh, no biggie, we're just gonna take Egil away to live with another family. Oh and he's going to train to be a solider there okay later don't forget to write!"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah this part where we have to run around trying to find a family for Egil could have really used some finetuning. The backtracking is dumb.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Between Praline's quest, the three layer dungeon to the Fire Crystal, and the Egil thing, I found myself never wanting to touch Chapter 3 ever again.

Also, I'm surprised you showed his face, even though the voice is a dead giveaway when he speaks.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed this little diversion when I got to it... All the backtracking this chapter is a real drag. I'd forgive it if the game just automatically teleported you around to the plot relevant areas, but having to sail over a minute to one end of the world, then back, then to that part again, before continuing on to a completely different part just really wears down, especially since it's such a relatively minor part of the story.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Greyarc posted:

Next: An unexpected side quest? It was Agnes in the Conservatory with the Axe!

:allears:

I overuse that a bit, but still. :allears:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

:allears:

I overuse that a bit, but still. :allears:

The thing coming up is probably my favourite side quest.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It always feel weird expressing my dislike of the traumatized war orphan, yet here we are: Egil manages to get himself associated with some of the most tedious, grating backtracking sequences in the game, and I resent him for it. You can see why they made the call later but at the time it's just seems like a pointless pain in the rear end.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 63: The Adventure of the Dead Man's Banquet, Part 1

With Egil and Karl settled in, the party heads off for the next adventure.

They resolve to return to Hartschild before Grandship. Eleanor Goodman might enjoy the visit, having just been separated her foster child.

It will be nice and cheery and definitely nothing bad will happen.

To the party's surprise, they are greeted at the door of the Goodman estate by Commander Goodman.

Oh, Commander Goodman. It's good to see you at home for a change.

I came as soon as I could when I heard the wind vestal was holding a banquet in my honor.

A banquet...?

My wife is also most pleased. You can see she's all in a bustle getting things ready. I did wonder at seeing the names of Officers Steiner and Neuer on the invitation...

How did you know the names of our Shieldbearer officers, vestal? I don't remember introducing you.

Hold on. You've lost me, I'm afraid...

I have no recollection of sending such a letter.

Is that so? Strange... I'm quite certain it was signed in your name.

As Agnès is about to respond, Eleanor enters the room.

Well, I'd hate to put this food to waste, and Eleanor seems so happy...

Excellent. Please, this way.

Led by Goodman, the party makes their way to the parlor, where two other decorated Shieldbearers are already waiting.

says the unfamiliar woman. (also, Edea switched back to Valkyrie temporarily on the way to Hartschild)

She may be young, but I hear she's quite capable. They say she's already saved our hides several times.

Allow me to introduce everyone. These are my chiefs of operations. My closest advisors, you might say.

My name is Saranish Steiner. It is a great honor to walk in the light of your countenance, Lady Vestal.

Steiner and Neuer were mentioned some time ago as close friends of Datz and Zatz. We've finally gotten an opportunity to say hello!

Pleased to meet you both.

Well, now that formalities are out of the way, let's head to the table.

Daniel!

Eleanor rushes into the room, visibly unnerved.

I just opened a letter that arrived this morning...

A letter? There's no sender on the back. Let me see... "Daniel Goodman, Shieldbearer Commander, shall die this night."

......!

It came this morning. I think Nastassja, our servant, collected it...

I don't like this one bit.

Well, we veterans should be able to look after ourselves. We should enjoy the feast, Commander Goodman.

You are right. Are you okay, Eleanor?

Yes... I-I'll bring the food now.

Eleanor leaves.

Please accept my apologies for this disruption, everyone.

Not at all... That letter chilled my blood.

A death threat, it seems.

Ringabel! Don't say such things!

Aaaah!

Goodman dashes out to the hall towards the voice, the party and two officers close behind.

What is wrong!?

She's dead!

Tiz shoves past the Goodmans, readying his salve-maker healing vials...

But it's too late.

D's Journal: Nastassja the Servant posted:

(Goodman Residence Servant) A servant at the Goodman Residence. She was hired after Egil left for Caldisla, as Eleanor enjoyed having someone to talk to. She was killed at a banquet attended by high-ranking Shieldbearers, which was held at the Goodman residence in the wind vestal's name.

With the party's help, the area is investigated and the body moved to the guest bedroom. Afterwards, they join the others, who have gathered in the great hall.

We believe a blow to the back of her head with a blunt object is what killed her, but we haven't found a weapon.

We've placed her body in bed for now.

I'm more concerned at the fact that the front door will not open! It seems to be sealed shut from the outside... We cannot get out!

Can't we just break a window?

I'm afraid not. This residence was formerly a stronghold. There aren't any windows on the first floor.

So that means...we're trapped?

What on earth is going on!? Who killed that servant!?

I was preparing the food with Nastassja just before... Right up until I opened that threatening letter. I noticed nothing amiss at that point...

Then it must have been you who killed her! Who else here would have had the chance!?

Nonsense! Why would my wife ever do such a thing!?

I have no idea. Perhaps she was the one who wrote that letter as well.

N-no...! I-I would never harm a fly!

Text error: would -> who.

Wait! The culprit will not be found through conjecture.

That said, the murderer must be among us.

The front door has not been opened since we arrived, no? None have entered, and none have left. That leaves only us.

I would never accuse the vestal, but how can we trust you other three? We know nothing about you!

That's just...

I'm sure I appear suspicious. After all, I have no memory, and know not my own past.

There's no one who can attest to my background, either...

Better to remain dubious than reveal the Eternian in the room. "But she's friendly and only kills for justice!" wouldn't go over well.

They show up, and all of a sudden the servant dies... Isn't the timing a little convenient?

Enough! The vestal and her companions have hardly had time to do such a thing since they arrived.

And you well know how much they have aided the Shieldbearers already! I won't stand to hear the vestal and her allies insulted!

However, in that case, the finger of blame can point only to your good wife...

Wait! Allow me to take charge of this matter for now. I would ask that you all remain calm.

After Goodman and Agnès's remarks, Steiner and Neuer quiet down.

As trusted vestal, it's up to Agnès to dig up the real killer and get to the bottom of this mystery!

D's Journal: Shieldbearer Cdr Daniel Goodman posted:

When visiting Commander Goodman's residence in Hartschild one day, we found the commander at home for once. Apparently he had received an invitation to a banquet from the wind vestal, and had brought two of his officers with him. However, Agnès had sent no such invitation... Before we could act, a servant was murdered, and the front entrance blocked off!

One day we found Commander Goodman in his residence for a change. He said the wind vestal had invited him to a banquet, and he had brought two of his officers with him. Eleanor was elated to have him home. However, Agnès had sent no such invitation. Their servant was murdered, and then the front door was sealed shut! Very mysterious...

The house is closed. The Adventurer wasn't invited to the banquet, either, so no saving the game until we get out of here. We've gotten all the clues we can from the crime scene, so the only option now is to speak with the others and try to piece together the truth.

To start off, the party heads upstairs, where Eleanor is sitting alone.

How are you holding up, Eleanor?

Please believe me. I have not killed a soul!

How long had the servant girl been working at your residence?

Not long, in truth. I employed her when we took Egil in. But it has been a blessing having her around. It was good to have someone to talk to after Egil left the house...

Did she mention anyone that may wish to cause her harm?

No, she was a good girl. I cannot fathom why she was killed...

I'll try not to... Oh, let me pour some tea.

While the party waits for Eleanor to return from the kitchen, Ringabel wanders over to the servant's corpse.

Yes, I know. I'm well aware, but...

Show some respect for the dead, Ringabel.

After talking with a suspect, they'll give one extra line of dialogue if you speak to them again.

The body can be inspected as well. The first time, it will trigger the scene with Ringabel poking it.

A second inspection reveals... nothing, unsurprisingly.

The party heads back downstairs to the Shieldbearers.

All three are some distance from one another, on high alert.

D's Journal: Shieldbearer Ofc Saranish Steiner posted:

(Shieldbearer Officer) A high-ranking member of the Shieldbearers serving under Commander Daniel Goodman. He was caught up in an incident after receiving an invitation to a banquet from the wind vestal. He is rumored to have high career aspirations, and does not get on well with Officer Neuer.

D's Journal: Shieldbearer Officer Savish Neuer posted:

(Shieldbearer Officer) A high-ranking member of the Shieldbearers serving under Commander Daniel Goodman. She was caught up in an incident after receiving an invitation to a banquet from the wind vestal. She has yet to deny rumors that she and the commander are more than just colleagues.

Steiner first.

No, not yet... What are your thoughts?

Hmm... the wife does appear to be the most likely suspect. However, I believe she has been framed.

Framed? What do you mean?

I'd have my eye on Officer Neuer if I were you. Something strikes me as odd about her behavior.

She is obsessed with furthering her career. I doubt she'd hesitate to knock down anyone she saw as competition. Forgive me for saying this, but she'll stop at nothing to get her way!

You should see the way she looks at Commander Goodman, batting those eyelashes at him. And she blatantly acts as though she's his wife in front of others!

Even though he has a splendid wife back at home, she uses any excuse she can find to keep him away from her... She's always holding strategy meetings, and wanting to discuss enemy raids...

As you can see, Commander Goodman is a sincere, earnest fellow. And the civil war is drawing to a close. At this rate, she'll end up a mere officer, and Commander Goodman will go back to spending time with his wife. Perhaps she saw this banquet as her chance to make a move... That is what I think, anyway.

Oh, and not a word to anyone about this. If she knew I had said these things, my life would be in danger. In any case, you should consider this, Lady Vestal.

Calling strategy meetings hardly seems suspicious for an officer, especially one who seems as proactive as Neuer. On the other hand, jealousy might drive such a proactive person to extreme means...

Either way, Steiner seems to detest, even fear, his former close friend. What's happened since Datz and Zatz last saw these two?

D's Journal: Shieldbearer Officer Savish Neuer, Shieldbearer Ofc Saranish Steiner posted:

Agnès spoke with Officer Steiner, who suspects that fellow Shieldbearer Officer Neuer is the culprit. He thinks Officer Neuer has feelings for Commander Goodman and is plotting to kill his wife...

Let's hear what Neuer herself has to say.

I'll do my best. Who do you think the culprit is, Officer Neuer?

The evidence all points to the wife, no? She presents herself well, and then goes and does these terrible things...

Perhaps she resents Commander Goodman for not returning to his residence more often? Sending death threats before following through takes a cold, calculated criminal. The thought makes my blood curdle...

If this is true, I feel so sorry for poor Danie-- ...For the commander. He has worked hard for his country.

But if you want my honest opinion, I think another may be responsible.

Another person? Who?

This is for your ears only. I have heard disturbing rumors about Officer Steiner...!

Disturbing rumors?

He has worked his way up the ranks, serving with merit in many battles since the war began. Promotion after promotion, and now he is joint chief of operations. I believe he wants to take command of the Shieldbearers.

If the war continues, Commander Goodman may very well die in battle, and Steiner may be next in line...

However, then you came along, and put his achievements to shame. The war seems nearly at an end! He must have panicked! His mind is always plotting strategy, both on and off the battlefield. He must have used your name to set up this banquet...

Then why did he kill the servant first?

That is what makes him so shrewd. He is ensuring no suspicion falls upon him. First the servant, then he picks us off one by one, as we turn on one another... Horrifying!

Though Steiner was on the mark about Neuer's interest in Commander Goodman, Neuer's concentration on Steiner rather than the Goodmans is a twist. Could Steiner have been trying to distract us from the true murderer...?

Can we trust either of the officers?

D's Journal: Shieldbearer Officer Savish Neuer, Shieldbearer Ofc Saranish Steiner posted:

Agnès spoke with Officer Neuer, who seems to think that Officer Steiner is plotting to kill Commander Goodman to take over command of the Shieldbearers.

Perhaps Commander Goodman can offer some insight.

No need to apologize. I think it is your wife who needs your support right now. Perhaps you could speak with her later?

Yes, you are right. Do you have any idea as to who the murderer might be?

Not so far.

Do you have any enemies, Commander Goodman?

Well, there are plenty of Swordbearers out for my blood... But I'd like to think no ally holds a grudge against me.

Officers Steiner and Neuer have been steadfast in their support throughout the war.

What do you know of Nastassja, the murdered servant?

I see. Thank you for answering my questions.

Agnès excuses herself from the Commander and leads the party to a quiet corner for discussion.

I feel it is best that I speak with everyone, just in case.

Often the least likely suspect turns out to be the culprit...

Even when death threats are made?

Especially when there are death threats. This whole affair has made no sense from the start.

Of course, whoever is behind this invited their intended victims under the pretense of a banquet.

If it was Commander Goodman, he could have conspired with his wife beforehand. They could have concocted these mysterious invitations and the death threat themselves...

If that's the case, then why kill the servant?

Killing the servant may have been a diversion before they kill their true target. Either Officer Steiner or Officer Neuer... the two who received invitations.

Or both of them...

Then maybe...

Once all suspects are spoken with...

Goodman calls everyone to attention.

Eventually the others will realize something is amiss. Once they do, they'll break us out of here. We just have to wait.

In the same room as a murderer!? That simply will not do!

I agree! Officer Neuer and I were not mentioned in the death threat, but we certainly do not feel safe!

As long as we all stay in one place, the offender will not be able to take action. We all agree with the commander. Right, Agnès?

Indeed.

I must ask you to be patient, Officers Steiner and Neuer.

Yes, of course.

It seems we have no...choice...

Are you alright, Officer Steiner?

....Argh! Urgh....! Arrrgh...

Ringabel crouches down, checking Steiner's pulse.

He's dead....

Aaaaaah!

He was in agony... It must have been poison. He had just drank some tea, correct?

Poisoned...? When?

The commander's wife poured tea for us all just now! The poison must have been in that!

Officer Steiner was the only one to drink it. The rest of us had yet to take even a sip!

That is all the evidence we need! It was you, you she-devil! You've shown your true colors!

Calm down, Officer Neuer!

Calm down!? Commander, this woman just tried to kill you!

Officer Steiner is dead, but it could just as easily have been you, the wind vestal, her companions, or me! Ah, perish the thought!

Don't try and tell us it wasn't you! Tie this woman up immediately!

Unfortunately, under these circumstances I cannot see how anyone else could be responsible.

I am sorry, Eleanor. I shall have to confine you in the cellar until you can be cleared of any wrongdoing. Is this acceptable, vestal?

...Yes.

Goodman takes the clearly distressed Eleanor away.

D's Journal: Shieldbearer Ofc Saranish Steiner posted:

Commander Goodman suggested that we all stay together until the culprit was identified. Moments later, Officer Steiner dropped dead after drinking poisoned tea.

A few moments later, Goodman reappears, now alone.

There must be some kind of mistake...

Mistake? Are you still on that woman's side!? She has killed twice already!

But what was her motive? Why would she kill the servant and Officer Steiner? And by means that could only point the finger at her...

We can find out what her reasons were later! At least she is now under lock and key! Now we just need to find a way out of here, and all shall be resolved.

She must have been the one who jammed the front door as well. We should have questioned her.

I'm not going anywhere! No way. I'm staying put until help comes.

Very well. I'll stay here with her.

D's Journal: Shieldbearer Cdr Daniel Goodman posted:

We questioned everyone who remained in the commander's residence. Nobody was free from suspicion, so the commander calmly suggested we stay together until help arrived. Just then, the Shieldbearer officer Saranish Steiner died... It seemed he had been poisoned by the tea the commander's wife had just poured for him.

We questioned everyone who remained in the commander's residence. Nobody was free from suspicion. Eleanor decided to pour everyone tea, but soon after, the Shieldbearer' Officer Saranish Steiner dropped dead from poison. Eleanor could not escape falling under suspicion, and she was locked up in the dungeon below.

The events have started wearing on even the eternally calm Goodman's nerves.

At last, we can breathe a sigh of relief. Now we need only beat the trick to opening the door out of here.

There's no one to talk to besides Goodman and Neuer. The cellar's inaccessible, and the servant and Steiner are busy being dead.

Let's check the front door and see if we can't bust our way out. The moment the party approaches:

Who extinguished the lights!?

Watch out! I have a bad feeling about this...!

Commander Goodman! Get the lights on, now!

I will! Just a moment!

*SHWINK*

Arrrgh!

......!

Look! Officer Neuer...

No way...

Goodman runs over.

He looks down and notices Officer Neuer bleeding on the floor.

Ahh! Officer Neuer! Stay with me!

Unhhh.... That...woman...did...

Is she...dead?

Yes...

So she was attacked in the brief time that the lights were out!?

Could the woman Officer Neuer mentioned be your wife?

Impossible. She's confined to the cellar. She had no way of killing Officer Neuer.

Could there be a secret exit out of the cellar? You've not spent much time at home, Commander Goodman, so perhaps you were simply not aware of it.

Your wife Eleanor could have constructed a hidden passage.

Never...

She may have started a murder spree now she's been found out as the killer...

There's no proof yet that Eleanor had anything to do with this!

Let's go and talk with her. That is our only path of action right now...

Here is the key.

Next: The exciting conclusion! Also: Could things have ended differently?

--

Event Viewer
Sub-Scenario:
Tragedy at the Banquet
A Murderer Among Us
Just a Corpse
Steiner's Thoughts
Neuer's Thoughts
Eleanor's Thoughts
Commander Goodman's Thoughts
Steiner's Death
Eleanor's Confinement
Neuer's Death

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm getting some serious "and then there were none" vibes here.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

CLIFFHANGER :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Welp, there went Suspect A and Suspect B.

Clearly it's the Ninja Lady in the Basement with the Laboriously Collected Intelligence.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, this scenario. :allears:

Also, here's a song that plays earlier with Victoria killing that one NPC, minus the "scare chords" part of the song which only show up here for the unveiling of bodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-tFowHVHU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why are they only offing the Shieldbearers now? It seems more like spite than anything.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Ah, I was wondering when we were gonna deal with the ninja chick.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

Why are they only offing the Shieldbearers now? It seems more like spite than anything.

Well, the war is still in the turning around phase, as I recall. The Swordbearers might manage a comeback if their enemy's leader were to die.

Also, you can potentially do this mission before Kamiizumi's, so it's possibly an attempt to reinvigorate him as well.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

There are many ways to find our mystery killer, even now.

In other words we can save Suspect A and Suspect B from being offed.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Aside from that possibility, the only one who makes sense is the new maid faking her death via plot contrivance good enough to fool the party or somehow trading places with the wife or something. Also, what the hell party, you should definitely should be trying some antidotes or magic or something. What the hell people, don't just watch a dude fall over dead in front of you.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
So nice of them to give the party a little entertainment with this mystery dinner! Everyone is playing their roles so well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's so cute they try to make a locked room mystery with a party of dudes capable of blowing up the entire house with the snap of a finger, never mind just the front door.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Greyarc posted:

Show some respect for the dead, Ringabel.

Yeah, stop poking around looking for things like evidence or clues! Thinking before acting is unacceptable in this game.

hey girl you up posted:

Also, what the hell party, you should definitely should be trying some antidotes or magic or something. What the hell people, don't just watch a dude fall over dead in front of you.

If you get maimed in the Cutscene Zone, it's completely irreversible, don't you know?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rainuwastaken posted:

If you get maimed in the Cutscene Zone, it's completely irreversible, don't you know?
The Cutscene Zone is a harsh mistress.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
At least it's not the Fiddy Zone. Not only do people die there but they also get punched and stabbed and kicked and disintegrate.

The Cutscene Zone is harsh, yet kind in some ways.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, stop poking around looking for things like evidence or clues! Thinking before acting is unacceptable in this game.

Would you trust Ringabel with a dead woman? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hey, Ringabel has standards. He only hits on anything with breasts and a pulse. :colbert:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Rainuwastaken posted:

At least do me the courtesy of a throwaway line and some action on the party's part :colbert:. "Oh no, the antidote isn't working because he turned himself to stone of his own volition so this must be a poison even [quogue or whatever idk his name] hasn't seen before!"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This is the Aeris complaint again, and it's still no less jarring than when we were impressionable teens basking in the glow of pre rendered FMVs on the PS1, going "what happened to my stockpile of Phoenix Downs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Phoenix Down can’t heal a severed spine? :v: