Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

She just really wanted that 2nd sax....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Croatoan posted:

Not sure if that's racist or sexist? Please explain so I can be properly offended.

Don’t worry. It was both. I was just giving him the rope.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I like Jeopardy. Contestant quirks are part of the entertainment value.

:colbert:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Contestant quirks are fine. The rampant sexism and racism from Jeopardy circles is the poo poo that’s been getting old.

Hysterical.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It would have been good TV for Trebek to go all Patton on Alan and Lisa by walking over to slap them and tell them to pull it together.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That final was very entertaining and ya'll are weird.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
It's almost like Austin is becoming more like a human and not a horrible Rick and Morty cartoon character or meme generator. I dare say I'm kind of starting to like him. His story was sad but heartfelt, and the fact that you know he was the one that got them to all do the robot made me laugh.

Then Buzzy hosed up by doing a terrible robot. gently caress Buzzy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alan crys tonight alert the PC police

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
What is a ham sandwich?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Zero One posted:

What is a ham sandwich?

A valid answer, beyotch

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Wow, that's the kind of final that's really hard if you just have 30 seconds.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sir Lemming posted:

I misunderstood and thought they had the same 4 letters at the beginning and couldn't come up with anything at all. Had I read the clue correctly, I would've gotten it.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
loving Buzzy.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
#notmychampion

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
buzzy rules, get with the program nerds

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Buzzy owns, that true Daily Double owned also. Hooray Buzzy!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Buzzy looks like Clark Kent had a baby with pre-Supersoldier Captain America. And not in a fun fanfic kind of way.
Buzzy is the human embodiment of a Dad Joke.
Buzzy got lucky.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

Contestant quirks are fine. The rampant sexism and racism from Jeopardy circles is the poo poo that’s been getting old.

Hysterical.

This.

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, I paused it and it took me about a minute, but I also forgot about the age part of the clue and started west because the states are bigger and easier to remember.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Stairs posted:

Buzzy looks like Clark Kent had a baby with pre-Supersoldier Captain America. And not in a fun fanfic kind of way.
Buzzy is the human embodiment of a Dad Joke.
Buzzy got lucky.

He reminds me of this guy:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Soothing Vapors posted:

buzzy rules, get with the program nerds

zakharov posted:

Buzzy owns, that true Daily Double owned also. Hooray Buzzy!

:same:

I thought Alan had it in him to come back until he tried copying Buzzy and going for the True Daily Double and missing it, and that look like it really took a lot out of him. I'm also surprised that Austin wasn't much more of a factor in the game as well. Was a really good game to watch, even if it was at a diner with the sound turned down kinda low.

For some reason in Final, I had started checking with the non 13 colonies states in the Deep South because I kinda remembered that they were some of the first added, and I couldn't get back to the northeast in time. Was also hung up on Indiana, even though it really doesn't work when you've got some time to check.

Zesty posted:

Hysterical.
:agreed:

The amount of poo poo that some contestants, especially women, get for stupid bullshit is what prompted the whole Jeopardy squad poo poo that everyone laughs about here. I'm not even on Twitter, but a lot of the more prominent former contestant defenders are, and they do get vociferous in their actions.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

GhostStalker posted:

vociferous in their actions.

Uh

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

It means crying out noisily.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

It means crying out noisily.

Wait, because we talked poo poo, they’re going to talk poo poo back? Whoa, I hadn’t considered this radical tactic, I may have to reconsider my vociferous actions.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

GhostStalker posted:

For some reason in Final, I had started checking with the non 13 colonies states

(Vermont wasn't an original colony but that's okay.)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Colonial Air Force posted:

(Vermont wasn't an original colony but that's okay.)

I know that, I was saying I started with the Deep South states that weren't in the original 13, since the clue stated 1805.

Hey, it's a perfectly cromulent word. Not my problem if you don't know how it works in context.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I like dad jokes and I didn't like Buzzy

I'll see myself out now

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
That was unfortunate in tonight's Final Jeopardy. Answers that long, you basically have to know and start writing right away to have a chance at finishing in time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm glad Eric is gone, he was making me want to yell at the TV. "Stop buzzing in when you obviously don't know the answer!!!"

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Phelddagrif posted:

That was unfortunate in tonight's Final Jeopardy. Answers that long, you basically have to know and start writing right away to have a chance at finishing in time.

I wondered about that. Lots and lots of folks call it "Sgt. Peppers" and not by the full name. I wonder if he'd done that if it would have been accepted. Sadly using their own rules, once he wrote "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart" it was wrong. I think a case of either getting it all in, or getting the abbrev version.

I wonder this because they'll take "JFK" when the answer is John. F. Kennedy, or LBJ etc.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

sunnyboy posted:

I wondered about that. Lots and lots of folks call it "Sgt. Peppers" and not by the full name. I wonder if he'd done that if it would have been accepted. Sadly using their own rules, once he wrote "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart" it was wrong. I think a case of either getting it all in, or getting the abbrev version.

I wonder this because they'll take "JFK" when the answer is John. F. Kennedy, or LBJ etc.

I'm thinking they would have taken "Sgt. Pepper's".

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm thinking they would have taken "Sgt. Pepper's".

Wilbur himself actually chimed in and said that he asked the producers after the taping if that would have been acceptable and they said no.

He's also become a cult icon among online Jeopardy fans now for some reason, so

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sharks only have 5 vertebrae, except older species have 7

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There were a lot of dumb people on last week.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I love how plugged into pop culture grampa in the middle is

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Splat? Splat.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Oh come on, how was that FJ not a gimme?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Pokémon? With the poke and the mon and the guy with the thing who come out and goes BLAP BLAP BLAP

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watched this episode with my parents and they both had no clue on FJ. When I said Pokemon my step-dad replied, "Pokemans?"

They thought it was just a TV show.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I knew as soon as the category was revealed that all the goons would be in here going "easiest FJ ever!"

To be fair, it was really easy.

Mantis42 posted:

Splat? Splat.

I wonder if she was going for Splatoon and ran out of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

WampaLord posted:

I knew as soon as the category was revealed that all the goons would be in here going "easiest FJ ever!"

To be fair, it was really easy.

I thought the category would be hard, but when the question came up I thought it was a total gimme. The "gotta catch 'em all" connection seemed pretty clear to me. But I guess not.