Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Comrade Koba posted:

If you want to give ACKS a try without giving money to nazi shitbiscuits, there’s always easily available :filez:. It’s one of the most pirated retroclones, by the looks of it.

Especially since due to it being in past OSR Bundle of Holding offerings it's easy to find DRM free copies of it

Well that and there being an OSR general on 4chan's /tg/ board that has a very well maintained "Trove" of OSR stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

i have made a helpful guide to alexander macris

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I got it from the bundle, myself. But that was before he went full nazi, iirc.

That bundle also had spears of the dawn, stonehell, and vornheim, iirc.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

dwarf74 posted:

I got it from the bundle, myself. But that was before he went full nazi, iirc.

That bundle also had spears of the dawn, stonehell, and vornheim, iirc.

Are we not supposed to like Vornheim because that dude everybody hates wrote it? I remember enjoying that book, I thought it had a lot of neat original ideas in it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are we not supposed to like Vornheim because that dude everybody hates wrote it? I remember enjoying that book, I thought it had a lot of neat original ideas in it.

Zak's work is generally quite good. He is also a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

absolutely yes. His Maze of the Blue Medusa dungeon literally has a bunch of SJW parodies as monsters that you're supposed to kill

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

absolutely yes. His Maze of the Blue Medusa dungeon literally has a bunch of SJW parodies as monsters that you're supposed to kill

Out of curiosity, where?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like its making fun of civil rights activists, or its making fun of professional internet outrage jockeys?

Because by 2017 the second one of those doesnt seem that weird. The first one is of course a very bad sign for their outlook.

Serf
May 5, 2011

zak s is a serial harasser come the gently caress on people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't own the book, and I can't dig out the quote from another thread where someone pointed it out, so you'll have to take my word for it (or not) that there's a caricature of what the author thinks of his critics somewhere in there.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

FRINGE posted:

Like its making fun of civil rights activists, or its making fun of professional internet outrage jockeys?

One of these things exists and the other is a fabrication of the alt-right. You know in your heart the answer.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

RubberBands Hurt posted:

I could stab him in the kidneys though, would that help anything?

No, just tell him it's his wife's responsibility to pay her medical bills, and it would be better to let her die than continue to be a leech on society.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wait, I thought Zak S just did the map and Patrick Stuart did all the writing and stocking.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sax Solo posted:

No, just tell him it's his wife's responsibility to pay her medical bills, and it would be better to let her die than continue to be a leech on society.

lmao both libertarians and nazis advocate for a dog-eat-dog society that kills people who won't or can't debase themselves to capital in order to survive. macris supports people and policies that will continue to hold a knife to his throat in order to maintain his wife's survival

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Serf posted:

zak s is a serial harasser come the gently caress on people

Why do people keep having to be reminded of this when it seems like there's some new poo poo every loving month from that douchebag.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fuego Fish posted:

Why do people keep having to be reminded of this when it seems like there's some new poo poo every loving month from that douchebag.
Because he has made some good stuff that people like.

It's like eating at Chick-Fil-A. You can boycott it because you know what causes they will support with your money; you can go there and feel guilty; or you can eat there, and afterwards donate to the Trevor Project or some other worthy pro-LGBT cause.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In the spirit of "don't eat at a Chik-Fil-A altogether because there are multiple other fast-food chains offering fried chicken", the current Bundle of Holding includes Sine Nomine's An Echo Resounding, which is a set of domain management and mass combat rules that'll allow you to run both without having to partake in ACKS.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I didn't realise some people's willpower was so weak they can't help but throw their money at reprehensible scumbags, simply because they just gotta have a lovely-rear end elfgame splatbook or some loving mediocre fried chicken.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

In the spirit of "don't eat at a Chik-Fil-A altogether because there are multiple other fast-food chains offering fried chicken", the current Bundle of Holding includes Sine Nomine's An Echo Resounding, which is a set of domain management and mass combat rules that'll allow you to run both without having to partake in ACKS.
Yes, basically everything so far from Sine Nomine has been first-class, and you shouldn't give money to terrible people.

Fuego Fish posted:

I didn't realise some people's willpower was so weak they can't help but throw their money at reprehensible scumbags, simply because they just gotta have a lovely-rear end elfgame splatbook or some loving mediocre fried chicken.
For the record, I'm firmly in the "never patronize Chick Fil A (or Hobby Lobby, Menard's, etc.)" camp as well as the "don't give Zak money" camp. You had asked why it keeps coming up - and it's because people buy his stuff, either because they don't know any better, don't give a crap, or because they try to justify/redeem it somehow.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Fuego Fish posted:

"Hmm, yes, I see, those are all very good points, HOWEVER there are no *actual* rules for genocide in the Complete Alt-Right Handbook, therefore we shouldn't judge."
:goonsay:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Megazver posted:

Out of curiosity, where?

In my brief look through, there's a gallery of art and some quasi-undying critics of that art - Zak seems to be one of those "It's not my fault that you are simply too stupid to understand the greatness of my art!" types and so these critics are his worse nightmare, querying the quality of work in the gallery by means that Zak obviously feels is unrelated to the work, but Zak is clearly misunderstanding or just doesn't know about various concepts of "Death of the Author" and so on.

Also, Zak still browses this forum, or at least the Fatal&Friends thread, looking for stuff to moan about for his blog so incase he sees this thread - Hi Zak! :wave:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LashLightning posted:

In my brief look through, there's a gallery of art and some quasi-undying critics of that art - Zak seems to be one of those "It's not my fault that you are simply too stupid to understand the greatness of my art!" types and so these critics are his worse nightmare, querying the quality of work in the gallery by means that Zak obviously feels is unrelated to the work, but Zak is clearly misunderstanding or just doesn't know about various concepts of "Death of the Author" and so on.

Ehhhhh. Making fun of art critics isn't exactly unique to ZakS or alt-right or whatever. He's an rear end in a top hat on the internet enough times that there's no need for this desperate reaching.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Megazver posted:

Ehhhhh. Making fun of art critics isn't exactly unique to ZakS or alt-right or whatever. He's an rear end in a top hat on the internet enough times that there's no need for this desperate reaching.

replace "rear end in a top hat" with "abusive harasser who riles up hate mobs to drive his enemies off the internet and then keep them hounding those targets for years afterwards" and yeah you're about right

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's stuff like a living gem lion with an inferiority complex, that will keep asking you more and more questions so it can interpret what you say negatively and freak out and attack you. I'm inclined to think that this is more likely about a beef than some abstract lampooning of art history as a discipline, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wade through endless blogs and G+ posts and whatever to try and suss it out.

I can't remember it or find it, but I know there's an OSR module out there that takes a shot at Troll Lord Games by having a room with two "troll lords" who keep heaping up garbage saying they're trying to rebuild the great wizard's castle.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

There's stuff like a living gem lion with an inferiority complex, that will keep asking you more and more questions so it can interpret what you say negatively and freak out and attack you. I'm inclined to think that this is more likely about a beef than some abstract lampooning of art history as a discipline, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wade through endless blogs and G+ posts and whatever to try and suss it out.

Honestly I would assume that was Patrick Stuart making fun of Zak.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't remember it or find it, but I know there's an OSR module out there that takes a shot at Troll Lord Games by having a room with two "troll lords" who keep heaping up garbage saying they're trying to rebuild the great wizard's castle.
Without knowing anything about them thats actually kind of funny.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I started running a campaign using The 52 Pages and it's pretty great.

It has a WHFRP-like system where when you reach 0 hit points, you're fine actually, except now everything's going to crit you. I cut my teeth on WHFRP so I love it. I decided to let PCs just heal their HP fully after combat for free, because I like the dirt farmer power levels, but I don't like dirt farmer survivability. There's other resource clocks besides magical healing anyway, and besides, nothing says "time to leave the dungeon" like getting your foot cut off. In another system I'd probably just set HP at first level = Constitution score.

I love the rules-lite-but-high-sim of older D&D, but oof I hate its explore/rest cycle. I don't really like 4E, but they made a good choice putting healing surges front and center as the exploration clock. My favorite system is from a weird old houseruled-beyond-all-recognition D&D game I played in for a few years, where spell casting was limited by magic toxicity. Casting a spell or using a magic item raised toxicity. If I cast a healing spell on you, we both gain toxicity. So it's both mana points and a healing limit. The limit was high, like 10 full strength spells, no memorization. But the kicker was toxicity only went down one spell's worth per night's rest. Sleeping in the dungeon wasn't even a thing that needed to be discouraged. It worked really great and made the drama fit about the length of a game session. (I should mention magic was overall weaker than D&D, but also more available to non-pure-casters as scrolls and dinky disposable items like potions and 3-charge rings; casters didn't dominate at all, though every group would want a healer.) I'd like to hack that kind of explore/rest cycle into the rules-lite older D&D systems I prefer, somehow.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

FRINGE posted:

Without knowing anything about them thats actually kind of funny.

Yeah, was that an example of how his assholeness gets into his products or what? Because without knowing industry stuff, it's an interesting encounter that works entirely at face value.

Serf
May 5, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, was that an example of how his assholeness gets into his products or what? Because without knowing industry stuff, it's an interesting encounter that works entirely at face value.

i don't think jack was giving that as a zak-specific example, and furthermore the content of his products is not the issue

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, it was definitely not him, I just thought it was a funny (if extremely petty) example.

I've heard that the quality of Troll Lord modules declined, but Idunno. I don't really get into OSR modules.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
People have been passive-aggressively writing their hangups into their RPGs since the Arneson's Egg of Coot and Hargrave's Stafford's Star Bridge.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

gradenko_2000 posted:

People have been passive-aggressively writing their hangups into their RPGs since the Arneson's Egg of Coot and Hargrave's Stafford's Star Bridge.

I know about the Egg of Coot, but what's Stafford's Star bridge?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LeSquide posted:

I know about the Egg of Coot, but what's Stafford's Star bridge?

It's a spell from The Arduin Grimoire, a very early "3rd-party" OD&D supplement by David Hargrave, notable for having a poo poo-ton of tables and charts, gonzo rules, and a very early critical hit system. Like a lot of such works, it was essentially a collection of houserules from Hargrave's own experience DMing his own games of D&D

It was supposed to have been published by Greg Stafford's Chaosium, but AFAIK he pulled out at the last second because Arduin's content was kind of haphazardly assembled. Hargrave had to resort to other means to get Arduin published, and he wrote in a magical spell called Stafford's Star Bridge that would create a bridge of rainbow light across gaps, but "can be keyed to support any single type (or more), letting all others fall through selectively" as a reference to Stafford letting his deal with Hargrave "fall through".

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a spell from The Arduin Grimoire, a very early "3rd-party" OD&D supplement by David Hargrave, notable for having a poo poo-ton of tables and charts, gonzo rules, and a very early critical hit system. Like a lot of such works, it was essentially a collection of houserules from Hargrave's own experience DMing his own games of D&D

It was supposed to have been published by Greg Stafford's Chaosium, but AFAIK he pulled out at the last second because Arduin's content was kind of haphazardly assembled. Hargrave had to resort to other means to get Arduin published, and he wrote in a magical spell called Stafford's Star Bridge that would create a bridge of rainbow light across gaps, but "can be keyed to support any single type (or more), letting all others fall through selectively" as a reference to Stafford letting his deal with Hargrave "fall through".

I'm actually impressed that it became a usable, interesting spell!

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Alright, I've decided to try something new. For the last few years I've mostly just been running my megadungeon "Palace of the Sun King" for people, and I'm at the point where I want to use what I learned from it for something new. I have a pretty hard time getting a regular group together (pretty much nobody I know has a reliable schedule, so hitting a rhythm is real hard), so the vast majority of the running I do is for first-time groups--one of the schools I teach at has a Games 101 course where one of the recitations is to play D&D, so I get to do a ton of running people who have never played the game before through the basics. This means that I've had a ton of people running through the same basic starting areas of the dungeon, and doing a bunch of communicating with each other via written messages on doors/running into signs of what previous groups got into/etc. I want to make a dungeon that's built explicitly around that sort of asynchronous inter-group contact! Also if I can find a way to make restocking make more sense it'd make this style of play way easier.

So tonight I'm running my first session of Temple of the New Gods. The backstory is that some miners were digging and found a strange divine diamond, which offered godhood to the miner who picked it up. The miner accidentally accepted and became the first god (Arthur, God of Pranks) in a new pantheon, and suddenly the mine itself starts twisting in shape, with strange priest-monsters spawning to guard from intruders and wondrous treasures springing up from the dreams of the new god. Another miner escapes and spreads word of what happened to a nearby village.

Basically, there's a mysterious diamond hidden somewhere in the dungeon, and every time the PCs find it one becomes a god and the dungeon grows a new wing/new types of monsters/etc in their honor. The megadungeon starts out at a mere 20 rooms, but can grow organically as people play more--which also means I have less of that awful feeling of having made hundreds of rooms of dungeon but only ever had people interact with, like, 10% of them. Everything in the dungeon, barring the original setup, is also meant to be kind of directly drawn from player action and inputs--the personality and history of each new god will have a big impact on how their areas are designed, and restocking rooms is going to be very responsive to what the players did to unstock them in the past, so you should be able to get a glimpse of other groups styles' even if you never interact with them directly.

But also I'm just kind of going hard into dungeon features that give people glimpses of each other. Dead players come back to life as monsters. Monsters you interact with but don't kill evolve over time based off the interactions you had with them. There's a hall of paintings showing things that have happened in the dungeon. There's a skull in the wall that tells you who the last person was to die in the dungeon and how they died. I'm making sure to list paint as a default piece of adventuring gear so players can write messages for each other.

And then the world itself is just going to be super low-power outside of the dungeon. No spells even exist past the first level, but there are NPCs in the dungeon inventing new ones and leaving their formula laying around as treasure. There are basically no magic items outside the dungeon, so retrieving the weird magic tools that spawn in the dungeon becomes the big treasure focus. Less gold coins and more magic plates that keep food placed on them forever fresh and warm, where the items are mostly just meant to be sold but if the players can find a use for them that's even better. XP is going to come from spending money, so the goal is to let the PCs be real big movers and shakers in the outside world and sort of shape/build the non-dungeon parts of the game with their spending habits. I'm going to ask players to start rumors about what they saw in the dungeon at the end of each session, so that I can have a big player-made rumor table I can use to seed adventure ideas to new teams with, and probably do a bunch of stuff like giving new groups map-fragments from groups that got further than them to keep things interesting.

I don't really know how this is going to go! It seems a little ambitious, but I'm super excited by the prospect. Anyone else have any ideas for other mechanics/habits I can do to reinforce that whole "different groups of players shaping the same space" feel I'm going for?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

There's an OSR/Dungeon World kind of game called something like The Shadows Underneath by the Red Box Vancouver guy. It has an expanded section on how your PCs can spend their cash. An art-free version is available on DriveThruRPG/RPGNow.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

LashLightning posted:

There's an OSR/Dungeon World kind of game called something like The Shadows Underneath by the Red Box Vancouver guy. It has an expanded section on how your PCs can spend their cash. An art-free version is available on DriveThruRPG/RPGNow.

Are you referring to The Nightmares Underneath? If so it seems really cool, though I haven't been able to play it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Nickoten posted:

Are you referring to The Nightmares Underneath? If so it seems really cool, though I haven't been able to play it.

Yes, The Nightmares Underneath. I even have a dead tree copy of it but I'm a goon and I'd suffer death than actually look around my apartment for it.

While the game's overall theme is a bit different (it's more about a lot of extra-dimensional dungeons that pop up in hidden places due to human misery rather than a singular, legendary megadungeon - plus there's sanity effects and characters will just retire if they get enough cash, etc) it does have a bunch of 'rules' you could use for investing in businesses and such, or make the surrounding town not hate you because you're the latest bunch of murderhobos to pitch their tent in their town.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

What's the 2e retro clone that was done by a goon? For Gold & Glory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hypnobeard posted:

What's the 2e retro clone that was done by a goon? For Gold & Glory?

Yes.

• Locked thread