Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there was an app for this in the early days

they pivoted into an uber/Lyft competitor for pretty much the reasons you would expect

i guess we shoulda done a plausibly competent bullshit thing and gotten that VC money then sat on our asses until the drain ran dry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

whenever I see Atherton mentioned I think of the guy that played those rear end in a top hat characters, like the professor in Real Genius or the EPA guy in Ghostbusters

there’s a good reason for that

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

i think musk being seen as Science Jesus is more a symptom of society not really valuing actual science or ambitious projects anymore - musk is just an opportunist with a marketing team that's taking advantage of that giant gap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU7FuAswPW0

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can pay cash for your apartment, too. and not some illegal sublet shithole, necessarily. a totally normal roommate situation, in an ordinary neighborhood.

what keeps people from being paid off the books is employer incentives. If you run a business with "zero employees," the IRS and SSA will have questions for you. if you run a household with "zero employees" no one bats an eye.

household help is such a common tax fraud it occasionally takes down politicians (who didn't even remember it was illegal)

also sometimes the help is live-in and gets an allowance, as if they were children

these people like au pairs a lot

like a lot

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ate all the Oreos posted:

aaand the techie scum of my company are already loudly jacking off Musk

"did you see the new roadster?! FASTEST CAR EVER MADE! i need one so much!!!!"

on the plus side, all the people both rich enough and dumb enough to order one will kill themselves with it in short order should they ever actually obtain it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

atomicthumbs posted:

on the plus side, all the people both rich enough and dumb enough to order one will kill themselves with it in short order should they ever actually obtain it

on the minus side their entire estate will not be diminished and their idiot offspring are now a multitude and can make bad choices in multiple ways

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
It doesn't look like the batteries on the semis are promising but the self driving tech is something the industry is dying for. I spent a little bit of time moving things around, and whereas the margins are pretty tight the real killer was wages (like pretty much every industry).

It takes a highly skilled laborer to drive a semi, and the hour add up fast. The tech is already capable enough for reliable follow-the-leader style self driving, which cuts one of the biggest costs out of the equation. It'll be weird to see six trailers on the road with probably just two people trading off in the cabin of the leader car, but the economics are absolutely there. Even if your follower trailers are 2x as expensive (and run on batteries because Elon's math is wrong).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
is the tech there such that you can have random other vehicles merge in between the lead truck and the following trailers, and then filter back out again later on?

if not, then all you've accomplished is building a much-more-expensive road train, and the only advantage is the current legislatory blind spot that tech buble stuff often enjoys

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I didn't notice until you pointed it out

maybe the branding is meant to attract VCs subliminally

gonna pitch my new cleaning internship-as-a-service startup, Houseboy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

on the minus side their entire estate will not be diminished and their idiot offspring are now a multitude and can make bad choices in multiple ways

*their entire estate will be pledged to the Church of Roko's Basilisk

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

instead of creating driving AI out of whole cloth, implement driver assistance systems like in luxury cars into semi trucks and make them 'easy to drive'. make them park themselves. lobby for loosening of cdl requirements in these vehicles so every dumb dude with a haircut and a meth habit can do it. replace skilled drivers with uber drivers renting their truckhome from you. chalk up the increase in fatalities to global warming.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

muckswirler posted:

lobby for loosening of cdl requirements in these vehicles so every dumb dude with a haircut and a meth habit can do it.

i have some interesting news for you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

atomicthumbs posted:

tbh i think i would prefer that

the fewer heads on Hydra the better

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

atomicthumbs posted:

speaking of subliminal messaging, isn't it interesting that rich tech assholes seem to be very worried that their actions might lead the future driving forces of society to endlessly torture them as punishment for their sins

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cheekio posted:

It doesn't look like the batteries on the semis are promising but the self driving tech is something the industry is dying for. I spent a little bit of time moving things around, and whereas the margins are pretty tight the real killer was wages (like pretty much every industry).

It takes a highly skilled laborer to drive a semi, and the hour add up fast. The tech is already capable enough for reliable follow-the-leader style self driving, which cuts one of the biggest costs out of the equation. It'll be weird to see six trailers on the road with probably just two people trading off in the cabin of the leader car, but the economics are absolutely there. Even if your follower trailers are 2x as expensive (and run on batteries because Elon's math is wrong).

Trucker compensation is a tiny fraction of the cost of shipping. On the whole, well paid truckers are getting up to $20 an hour, to haul up to 40 tons of cargo 65 miles. In that same hour, therefore, they'll usually burn 10 gallons of diesel so the fuel costs per hour are already like $25 minimum up to $35 in some areas.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

doghouse slumlord ftw

maskenfreiheit posted:

damnit bobby tables

KidDynamite posted:

I’m Dominican bruh

you're white to Haitians

Jabor posted:

is the tech there such that you can have random other vehicles merge in between the lead truck and the following trailers, and then filter back out again later on?

yep, this system still has drivers tho bc fielding self driving tractor-trailers would be criminally indifferent to human life

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
all I could think seeing those tesla truck models was “has musk ever seen a tractor-trailer outside of I5?”

also he’s selling the concept vehicles as real and using them for data

the concept vehicles which are a couple centimeters off the ground and appear to have their own proprietary trailer

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Trucker compensation is a tiny fraction of the cost of shipping. On the whole, well paid truckers are getting up to $20 an hour, to haul up to 40 tons of cargo 65 miles. In that same hour, therefore, they'll usually burn 10 gallons of diesel so the fuel costs per hour are already like $25 minimum up to $35 in some areas.
payroll is 60% of the overall cost of a trucking company, as i proved to you with specific examples the last time this came up in this thread

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Shippers often will use brokers to find cheap rear end owner operators that need a backhaul for the best rates. This is a big chunk of the industry and these auto semis don't fit into that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Powaqoatse posted:

theyre not supposed to be skilled

theyre supposed to be like a big sister or brother that hangs out with the family and helps with the little ones but somehow its become some weird and gross merchantry. also it probably wont surprise you that theres tons of abuse

oh man the au pair thing is super super skeezy now.

what's crazy is how quickly it went from OK to god awful. a friend hosted for a long time and stopped because suddenly every time one au pair would leave and they said they would be open to another the organization used them as a known-good host to take over hosting for an au pair that had to relocate due to abuse. they originally loved having an excuse to do touristy stuff on the regular but instead got used as a psychological trauma recovery center.

they blamed the organization shifting their advertising to hype up the house help angle and mommy blogs and listservs where people started to pitch having an au pair as a status symbol or a cheap alternative to having an actual nanny.

the mommy blog universe is a really really hosed up place btw.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bhodi posted:

payroll is 60% of the overall cost of a trucking company, as i proved to you with specific examples the last time this came up in this thread

a trucking company has a ton of payroll from people who are not truckers, including heftily paid executives and poo poo but also mechanics, dispatchers, etc

payroll's a big cost at railroads too despite the fact that you're running 2 mile long trains with maybe 3 people onboard, none of whom are getting paid all that much compared to all the fuel and all the related exxpenses to load, unload, and run that train.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shifty Pony posted:

i prefer the mommy cinematic universe, tbh

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I have a cousin who does that poo poo for a living. I wonder if she'll have more kids just to generate content.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Shifty Pony posted:

what's crazy is how quickly it went from OK to god awful. a friend hosted for a long time and stopped because suddenly every time one au pair would leave and they said they would be open to another the organization used them as a known-good host to take over hosting for an au pair that had to relocate due to abuse. they originally loved having an excuse to do touristy stuff on the regular but instead got used as a psychological trauma recovery center.

they blamed the organization shifting their advertising to hype up the house help angle and mommy blogs and listservs where people started to pitch having an au pair as a status symbol or a cheap alternative to having an actual nanny.

my sister was an au pair for a phenomenally wealthy french family for a year. their primary residence was one of the converted riverboats docked in the seine but they also had an estate in tuscany and the family's castle out in the french countryside. she's got endless stories about their ridiculous wealth and also their incredible stinginess. the mother once came home from a gala wearing a 10,000-euro designer dress and picked up her daughter, who had been fingerpainting on the floor, staining the dress with blue paint. she threw the dress in the garbage that night. their bolivian housekeeper picked it out and spent like two weeks painstakingly washing and cleaning it and mailed it to her niece back home. on the flip side, they would regularly take 20-50 euros out of my sister's bank account (which they had control over due to some hosed up french law), like a fine, if they determined that she hadn't done her job right (let the kids stay in the park an extra hour or w/e).

my sister was like the sixth au pair that they'd hired; the two younger children had had a different primary caregiver every year they'd been alive. they liked to hire young, white, canadian college-educated girls who spoke french, because although the au pair visas were only good for a year, they considered switching up the caregiver every year to be better than hiring a long-term nanny from france, who was likely to be of african descent. (oh yes, they were also extremely racist, obviously)

my favorite story is how once she was out at the chateau taking care of the kids while the parents were on vacation, and two old guys drove up in a beat-up land rover, handed her four intact dead ducks, and wordlessly drove away. she called the parents in confusion and the mom excitedly explained that those were some of the local hunters and trappers who were permitted to snare ducks on their land in exchange for 10% of their catch. apparently they had trapped 40 ducks so four go to the lords of the land -- literal feudalism.

anyway yeah it's not a good structure and the au pair is never actually an equal and getting a different full-time nanny every year for children who aren't even school-age seems really hosed up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shifty Pony posted:

ack gently caress

- good on your friend for hanging in so long for those au pairs
- good on your friend for getting the hell out

but it definitely goes back further than mommyblogs and whatever. I remember hearing that one of my older cousins was gonna au pair in i wanna say 1995 and even back then i was thinking "i hope she gets one of the good families". gently caress i just remembered that she changed host families

there you go! :(

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
so does someone have a breakdown of how shadowhawk is committing fraud by turning his house into a hacker hostel?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fits my needs posted:

so does someone have a breakdown of how shadowhawk is committing fraud by turning his house into a hacker hostel?

breakdown afaik:

a. shadowhawk bought a house
b. he rents out multiple rooms
c. combined they pay his mortgage and more
d. thats hosed up and gross

not sure if its illegal but i will laff if there are illegalities too

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

not really anything groundbreaking to this crowd but an interesting talk nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS2der4Ag_s&t=28s

this is the guy who made the infamous racist google searches / trump's performance in the primary correlation

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
https://www.imore.com/specs-tesla-roadster-are-simply-mind-boggling

quote:

The second-generation Tesla Roadster is the kind of car that will keep executives at Ferrari and Porsche and Lamborghini and Bugatti up at night. It's the kind of car that will adorn posters in the bedrooms of teenagers. It's the kind of car that Tony Stark would drive.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
we know literally nothing about its performance or features beyond "very fast acceleration" and "it's a tesla"

how does it drive? who cares, it's a tesla! look, the screen goes plaid when you floor it!

also, tony stark has a marketing deal with audi

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
Tesla does not have the manufacturing ability to fabricate everything they want to

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

But we know exactly which cars tony stark would be paid to drive

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
elon musk: his uncle works at nintendo

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I genuinely wonder if Tesla will still be solvent in 3 years

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this article says "breaking" and "amperage" so i hate the author already

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
kinda expecting tesla to take the alphabet route and splinter because the people who run spacex probably don't want profits siphoned off to shore up losses on other fronts like powerwall or whatever

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

kinda expecting tesla to take the alphabet route and splinter because the people who run spacex probably don't want profits siphoned off to shore up losses on other fronts like powerwall or whatever

isn’t that exactly how elons companies manage to stay afloat? I doubt he’d ever allow it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

we know literally nothing about its performance or features beyond "very fast acceleration" and "it's a tesla"

how does it drive? who cares, it's a tesla! look, the screen goes plaid when you floor it!

also, tony stark has a marketing deal with audi

my prediction: still doesn't go around the nurburgring without going into limp mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

isn’t that exactly how elons companies manage to stay afloat? I doubt he’d ever allow it
even he knows hyperloop is a bunch of ego sky pie bullshit so he spun up a separate company so it doesn't drag the rest of tesla down with it

half the point of owning a corp is to shield you personally from your disastrous decisions, why WOULDN'T he allow it

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 18, 2017

• Locked thread