Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Davros1 posted:

"He was neat"
"He was a neat guy! It's not like I'm making that up!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

M_Sinistrari posted:

I laughed because it's the sort of thing my group of wiseass friends would likely say in a eulogy.

As much as I've enjoyed each Orville episode so far (yes, even the pilot), this one has to be my favorite if I had to pick one. Dr. Finn's bit was incredible from the Marathon Man-esque dialog in sickbay to her straight up monolog in the cell. I can't wait to see what they do with season 2.

It's probably a tossup between this and Turtle ship episode for me.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

WampaLord posted:

She's B'Elanna Torres you nerds. Just security instead of engineering.

Except B'Elanna's only character trait was 'is super mad, a lot'.
Also, I liked this episode, it was really good.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

nmfree posted:

"He was a neat guy! It's not like I'm making that up!"

I thought it was especially funny that it was Malloy of all people who was giving good advice on how to write the condolence letter.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fights between Alara and Evil Issac? I was wincing at some of those beats.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

DivisionPost posted:

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fights between Alara and Evil Issac? I was wincing at some of those beats.
I get the feeling that they spent a good chunk of their choreography/stunt budget on this episode, because the fight scenes were cool and good.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

nmfree posted:

I get the feeling that they spent a good chunk of their choreography/stunt budget on this episode, because the fight scenes were cool and good.
Yep. I looked up the clown just in case he was some special guest star. Turns out he was a stunt actor! There were some real good stunts this episode, even if a couple of them were typical sub-par CG. When Alara threw the doc at the wall I winced for sure.

Though when Alara finally got by the fire to pull the debris off Paine, I laughed and said to my friend "what's wrong with you guys, it's just styrofoam!" Like, I know she's super strong and isn't supposed to feel any weight of large debris but it still looks goofy as hell having her throw it aside like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A big part of the problem is that while she can toss the stuff around like it's made of styrofoam, it also lands like it's made of styrofoam. It doesn't make a huge thud or rattle the floor or shake the camera or anything when it lands. A few minutes in After Effects might really help there.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Yep. I looked up the clown just in case he was some special guest star. Turns out he was a stunt actor! There were some real good stunts this episode, even if a couple of them were typical sub-par CG. When Alara threw the doc at the wall I winced for sure.

Though when Alara finally got by the fire to pull the debris off Paine, I laughed and said to my friend "what's wrong with you guys, it's just styrofoam!" Like, I know she's super strong and isn't supposed to feel any weight of large debris but it still looks goofy as hell having her throw it aside like that.

on the other hand, i thought they did a good job conveying a sense of weight to the metal beam she smacked isaac with

Sagebrush posted:

A big part of the problem is that while she can toss the stuff around like it's made of styrofoam, it also lands like it's made of styrofoam. It doesn't make a huge thud or rattle the floor or shake the camera or anything when it lands. A few minutes in After Effects might really help there.

styrofoam rubble is one of those things that's probably mostly a trek reference rather than an actual technical oversight

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This show cashes a lot of checks Star Trek really never could, simply by advantage of being made 20 years later. TNG could always tell you about stuff happening and imply the fight happening off screen or show you the aftermath if a fight sequence, but it couldn't really show it a lot of the time. The action sequences on Orville (and Discovery to be honest) really do the settings a lot more justice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Goddamn what a good script.

Everyone did a great job with their characters. Brannon Braga directed again and a (female) Family Guy writer did the script. Everything, except for a few green screen shots, was just really well done.

MisterBibs posted:

I think I said this before, but man, I'm really digging Halston Sage and her ability to actually act. She's mostly just been the Cute Girl in things I've seen that she's been in, but even her body language in this (and other) episodes conveys so much.

Alara has been the best character, and this episode really shows off how good a job Sage is doing. The body language she's doing sells every scene she's in.

Baronjutter posted:

Penny Johnson looked like she was having a blast being evil crazy doctor.
Also I love the robbit's fluid almost dainty hand movements, he's got a badass C-3PO vibe going on

The doctor and Isaac got some great screen time. I'm really enjoying Johnson's doctor. Isaac's red eyes was inspired.w

Tom Guycot posted:

I really really want a malloy, lamarr, and bortus trapped on a malfunctioning holodeck episode now.

And call back to the pilot and the problem is caused by Malloy messing with the program; like the bandito student of dance. Then we get an episode of those three dealing with a hilariously messed up holodeck scenario.

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › The TV IV › The Orville: Regardless, it is crushed.

^^ Needs to happen.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 18, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah that was one bad rear end fight scene. The Orville keeps getting consistently better. At this point I would call this season 1 better than both Voyager and TNGs season 1, which took a few seasons to get their footing.

Kurieg posted:

It's also a reference to that one episode of TNG where Crusher gets trapped in a collapsing universe built around her fear of dying alone. There's like, six or seven different Trek episodes they were subtly referencing in this one.

I only noticed two on my first watch through, but on my second I noticed this. Alara is clearly channeling Captain Jainway when she throws off her uniform shirt and grabs a phaser rifle:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 18, 2017

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This show cashes a lot of checks Star Trek really never could, simply by advantage of being made 20 years later. TNG could always tell you about stuff happening and imply the fight happening off screen or show you the aftermath if a fight sequence, but it couldn't really show it a lot of the time. The action sequences on Orville (and Discovery to be honest) really do the settings a lot more justice.

Right- they had the "Alara and Malloy run away from something' in the preview, but I was not expecting them to actually have a giant CGI spider. It was, frankly, a hoot.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Right- they had the "Alara and Malloy run away from something' in the preview, but I was not expecting them to actually have a giant CGI spider. It was, frankly, a hoot.

It was a legitimately funny episode. From the clown on I️ was laughing or chuckling at the absurdity of each scene. Not to mention all of the Bortus straight man lines.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It really is incredible how they use Bortus in just the right amount. His schtick would get tiring if overused but they know exactly when to have him be the punchline.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

It really is incredible how they use Bortus in just the right amount. His schtick would get tiring if overused but they know exactly when to have him be the punchline.

I will not fail you

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I noticed that the conference room had some grapes and other appetizers on the side table.

HE DID NOT FAIL HIM.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TraderStav posted:

I noticed that the conference room had some grapes and other appetizers on the side table.

HE DID NOT FAIL HIM.

That's amazing. :allears:

This show is pretty much a sitcom about working in an office (with gags about elevator music and conference room food) smooshed together with a straight Trek/scifi show.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I just hope Bortus is able to find a better balance in work and family life :)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

YOU WILL BE SILENT

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TraderStav posted:

HE DID NOT FAIL HIM.

Holy poo poo I missed this that rules.

This episode was amazing. Alara continues to be my favorite character and Halston Sage is crushing it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Didn't care for the resolution in this episode but everything else was done really well.

The best line in the episode was Bortus yelling "Clown??" when they were searching for it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Selachian posted:

I thought it was especially funny that it was Malloy of all people who was giving good advice on how to write the condolence letter.

I like the fact that Malloy and Mercer interact with each other like real friends do. Haven't really seen that since TOS with Kirk, Spock, & McCoy. Further ST shows say members of the crew are friends, but there's always a sense of distance between every one, because of position.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I just want to know whose fear caused the alligator Bortus had to crush.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Polaron posted:

I just want to know whose fear caused the alligator Bortus had to crush.

Regardless, it is crushed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Isaac. He had a family member who was turned into alligator clips

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Actually, it was the alligator’s fear of being crushed.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also Isaac's eyes turning red was a great effect.

Talking of Red Dwarf references...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Phylodox posted:

Actually, it was the alligator’s fear of being crushed.

It was a bad first day for new Orville crew member Alee Gattor of Crocodylus IV.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Davros1 posted:

I like the fact that Malloy and Mercer interact with each other like real friends do. Haven't really seen that since TOS with Kirk, Spock, & McCoy. Further ST shows say members of the crew are friends, but there's always a sense of distance between every one, because of position.

I think that's really only TNG and maybe Enterprise. DS9 had Dax/Sisko and Bashir/O'Brien. I'd even given Voyager some credit for Paris/Kim.

The Kirk/Spock/McCoy friendship was really expanded on in the movies. Them interacting on a casual basis felt much more real there then it did in any of the TOS episodes.

I think it is a little easier for The Orville to pull off because they can center their dialogue around comedic beats.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I think that's really only TNG and maybe Enterprise. DS9 had Dax/Sisko and Bashir/O'Brien. I'd even given Voyager some credit for Paris/Kim.

The Kirk/Spock/McCoy friendship was really expanded on in the movies. Them interacting on a casual basis felt much more real there then it did in any of the TOS episodes.

I think it is a little easier for The Orville to pull off because they can center their dialogue around comedic beats.

People hate on Star Trek V, but the interactions of the characters with each other really make that movie to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
In TNG I'll give Geordi and Data, and Picard and Guinan some credit. They both are shown to hang out outside of work.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Davros1 posted:

People hate on Star Trek V, but the interactions of the characters with each other really make that movie to me.

What would fans need with character development?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Covok posted:

What would fans need with character development?
:v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

In TNG I'll give Geordi and Data, and Picard and Guinan some credit. They both are shown to hang out outside of work.

But they always still seemed so professional to one another. There was never anyone ever taking the piss out of one another.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The staff poker games??

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I'm really enjoying The Orville. Guess I missed TNG a lot. Looking forward to a rewatch of season one the moment it ends.

gently caress the grim dark Trek.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Picard/Guinan is a friendship but they aren't in superior/subordinate roles.

Geordi/Data is a friendship but I think it feels less personal because Data isn't an emotional/social being.

McSpanky posted:

The staff poker games??

While the characters are shown hanging out in their off hours, it does feel more like passing the time. I think the fact that the 'end' of TNG has all the characters going in different directions and end up out of touch speaks a lot about their friendships. While of course Sisko is living in the wormhole, I got the sense that Bashir and O'Brien probably ended up sending each other constant subspace correspondence.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 18, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Data and Spot is the only true friendship in TNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Stolen from the GBS thread:
Seth MacFarlane and The Orville writing team talk at Google

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N54eNGRDH8

Seth mentions at the end that the tone has been more drama than comedy lately and that audiences like it, so the slightly more serious tone should be sticking around.