Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

God's Not Dead ALSO ends with a lovely concert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

sexpig by night posted:

I really hope the next movie they do a deep dive for is some crazy Christian schlock like God's Not Dead.

It has all the dumb 'my teacher says Jesus is a big fart and only idiots believe in him' and 'whaaaa, just who is this Jesus fellow???' stuff but hilariously the hate the writers have for everyone else is so much more overt. Like, in movies like this they just kinda wink and dance around 'well gee son maybe our black mayor LIKES antifa and DOESN'T like the constitution very much...' but in God's Not Dead they just overtly cackle as they give a non-believer cancer as punishment for failing to respect the duck dynasty guy and smugly explain how maybe that's just God punishing them for being so mean.

God's Not Dead is like The Room of terrible evangelical movies, it's so well-known and well-trodden that really what can you say about it that hasn't already been said?

American Carol was kind of fun during the Obama years but now that conservatives are back to their "you MUST respect the office of the president even if you don't agree with him" mantra it's just a sad parade of dead and disgraced actors you probably had genuine affection for at some point spouting garbage. It's like going to Thanksgiving with grandparents who went crazy from Fox News, only your grandpa is Leslie Nielsen.

Serf
May 5, 2011

too bad trillbillies ended/is on indefinite hiatus

champagne sharks is regularly quite good but they also have audio issues almost all the time. the latest episode has what sounds like someone crinkling a plastic wrapper almost the entire time the guest is talking

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hear that Kirk Cameron Christmas movie is a loving trainwreck that's basically a lecture about how the consumeriffic side of Christmas is actually good and Jesus wants you to buy a bunch of poo poo.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I hear that Kirk Cameron Christmas movie is a loving trainwreck that's basically a lecture about how the consumeriffic side of Christmas is actually good and Jesus wants you to buy a bunch of poo poo.

lol the Peanuts Christmas special from 1965 is more pious than the current religious right

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Serf posted:

Wait, what? I thought they were just taking a break until next year?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Serf posted:

champagne sharks is regularly quite good but they also have audio issues almost all the time. the latest episode has what sounds like someone crinkling a plastic wrapper almost the entire time the guest is talking

I haven’t gotten into Trillbillies but I have been interested. What’s up?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay posted:

Wait, what? I thought they were just taking a break until next year?

Yeah they didn't end they're taking the holiday season off.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Breadallelogram posted:

Yup, and one of the Duck Dynasty guys tells everyone at the concert to text everyone in their contacts list “God’s not dead.”

Guy Mann posted:

God's Not Dead is like The Room of terrible evangelical movies, it's so well-known and well-trodden that really what can you say about it that hasn't already been said?

American Carol was kind of fun during the Obama years but now that conservatives are back to their "you MUST respect the office of the president even if you don't agree with him" mantra it's just a sad parade of dead and disgraced actors you probably had genuine affection for at some point spouting garbage. It's like going to Thanksgiving with grandparents who went crazy from Fox News, only your grandpa is Leslie Nielsen.

An American Carol ends with a concert too, iirc, because Trace Adkins is the Ghost Of America Future. In a movie that has Kelsey Grammer and Jon Voight, the part that requires the most acting presence is given to a country singer. The only good thing about An American Carol is a background gag of the Hollywood sign instead reading “ALLAH AKBAR.”

Serf
May 5, 2011

graventy posted:

Yeah they didn't end they're taking the holiday season off.

they said they might come back

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Crisco Kid posted:

Man. As much as I appreciate the rowdy left push Chapo provides, the more I listen, the more impatient I get with the hosts' narrow world view. I love them, and it ain't their fault they're mostly mid-western/north-east middle class young white dudes who occasionally have on women and other races, but this movement is important to me. I've been listening for two years but don't follow weird twitter or this thread religiously, so I'm just unironically saying that it would be cool to put our money where our mouth is and talk with people where it matters. Not to poo poo on the parade here, but I'm in the US South and most of our People's Alliance organizers are older Black women. These boys are educated as hell, but sometimes they don't know what the gently caress they're talking about.

The Crooked Media boys are doing a great job of recruiting diverse, progressive POVs and grassroots enthusiasm, and Chapo in specific isn't required to do the same, but the far Left in general absolutely should be getting all over it. If I'm ignorant of any current movements, please point me to them.

vvv Sounds useless, thanks.

I love Chapo but they're mostly full of poo poo when it comes to this topic.

They rode to popularity by being a cathartic voice for the left during a time where the mainstream left-leaning party was not listening to them and no one was saying what Chapo was saying. If you took Chapo out of the 2016 election cycle and transplanted them to today, they wouldn't be nearly as popular.

It's dumb to expect too much from a podcast and a bunch of dirtbags but this out that people want, that they're just a comedy podcast, is bullshit. Go back and listen to the post election episode where Virgil gives this weepy talk about how people are going to need Chapo during the Trump presidency, go back and listen to the Adam Curtis episode. Go read Christman's AMA where he mentions an incoming Chapo website where they will host and signal boost leftist writers.

They clearly are and want to be more than a ~*~ comedy podcast ~*~ but they maintain the cop-out of being such in order to deflect current and future criticisms and responsibility. I don't blame them for this but dipshit fans need to stop echoing it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

iirc they said that chapo wouldn't last in a trump presidency because they're not saying anything that anyone else isn't already saying. being the criticism to clinton's left flank was kinda their whole deal

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Smaller targets, such as Chapo, are nice as they will more than likely respond. Elevating them is cathartic for their critics.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

They are a comedy podcast. Comedy is useful for its ability to dismantle power, which was/is needed to make room for new organizing. It's not very useful for actually building things up.

They've made good attempts to figure out where they can fit in to constructive efforts, boosting and hosting organizers and theorists. Ultimately though, it's a project named in parody of extreme performative masculinity and steeped in too-online irony. They won't escape being a comedy podcast.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Serf posted:

iirc they said that chapo wouldn't last in a trump presidency because they're not saying anything that anyone else isn't already saying. being the criticism to clinton's left flank was kinda their whole deal

This episode 55 minutes in https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-58-we-live-in-the-zone-now-111216

Just a ~*~ comedy podcast ~*~

Yeah... sure...

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

sleeptalker posted:

They are a comedy podcast. Comedy is useful for its ability to dismantle power, which was/is needed to make room for new organizing. It's not very useful for actually building things up.

They've made good attempts to figure out where they can fit in to constructive efforts, boosting and hosting organizers and theorists. Ultimately though, it's a project named in parody of extreme performative masculinity and steeped in too-online irony. They won't escape being a comedy podcast.

No one is saying they aren't and can be a comedy podcast.

I am saying it's a dumb way to deflect anyone asking more of them when they're perfectly positioned to do the more people are asking of them while also being a comedy podcast. I'm also saying that I don't believe they believe they're just a comedy podcast. Their fans believe it and maintain it.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

The dry boys' refrain is that listening to any podcast, including their own, is not politics. One of Matt's comments during the very first episode is that catharsis (from a late night comedian) is bad because it diffuses tension and energy which can go towards Actually Doing Politics. Virgil's point in his sincere post-election speech is that people will "need" Chapo to feel that they aren't alone is an explicit statement that "you are not alone" is probably the unspoken motto of any podcast, and it's important when the world becomes confusing and frightening.

They can't be the end-all podcast because they can only lean on their strengths. They are just a comedy podcast, but they can listeners to other voices and plans of action that they can't fulfill themselves, and I don't see anything wrong with a listener discarding a ladder after they've climbed up it.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

In summation, Chapo can't be expected to be the Mahdi form Dune.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Huzanko posted:

This episode 55 minutes in https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-58-we-live-in-the-zone-now-111216

Just a ~*~ comedy podcast ~*~

Yeah... sure...

sorry, i was thinking of their election night video

but yeah, they really are just a comedy podcast because nothing they do is actually like affecting anything, it's just there to laugh at in these hosed up times. if people take what they hear and use that as a reason to get involved, that's cool, but the podcast is not politics

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Uranium posted:

In summation, Chapo can't be expected to be the Mahdi form Dune.

Well duh we have the Daou of Politics for that.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

How is mahdi formed?

how is mahdi formed
how dune get verdant

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

I really hope the next movie they do a deep dive for is some crazy Christian schlock like God's Not Dead.

It has all the dumb 'my teacher says Jesus is a big fart and only idiots believe in him' and 'whaaaa, just who is this Jesus fellow???' stuff but hilariously the hate the writers have for everyone else is so much more overt. Like, in movies like this they just kinda wink and dance around 'well gee son maybe our black mayor LIKES antifa and DOESN'T like the constitution very much...' but in God's Not Dead they just overtly cackle as they give a non-believer cancer as punishment for failing to respect the duck dynasty guy and smugly explain how maybe that's just God punishing them for being so mean.

i dunno the last episode was kind of a slog because they were just recapping every plot point of a lovely movie with the occasional joke thrown in

the only lesson to be gained from all the direct to video conservative media stuff is the reason conservatives are shut out by the liberal hollywood elite is because they're incompetent at producing media and not some ideological agenda

amber made the most salient point of the episode early on that evangelical culture has zero quality control

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Huzanko posted:

I am saying it's a dumb way to deflect anyone asking more of them when they're perfectly positioned to do the more people are asking of them while also being a comedy podcast. I'm also saying that I don't believe they believe they're just a comedy podcast. Their fans believe it and maintain it.

I guess I don't see that "more" is legitimately what's being asked of them. It seems more like people asking, "why haven't you done an episode on THIS currently relevant leftist issue?" right after they do an episode on a different currently relevant leftist issue. They can't really cover everything and be a comedy podcast.

Serf
May 5, 2011

listen to street fight radio

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crisco Kid posted:

Man. As much as I appreciate the rowdy left push Chapo provides, the more I listen, the more impatient I get with the hosts' narrow world view. I love them, and it ain't their fault they're mostly mid-western/north-east middle class young white dudes who occasionally have on women and other races, but this movement is important to me. I've been listening for two years but don't follow weird twitter or this thread religiously, so I'm just unironically saying that it would be cool to put our money where our mouth is and talk with people where it matters. Not to poo poo on the parade here, but I'm in the US South and most of our People's Alliance organizers are older Black women. These boys are educated as hell, but sometimes they don't know what the gently caress they're talking about.

The Crooked Media boys are doing a great job of recruiting diverse, progressive POVs and grassroots enthusiasm, and Chapo in specific isn't required to do the same, but the far Left in general absolutely should be getting all over it. If I'm ignorant of any current movements, please point me to them.

vvv Sounds useless, thanks.

Comparing Chapo to what the Crooked Media guys are doing is nonsense. Crooked media was formed by 4 high level white house staffers who have had the support and participation of essentially the entire democratic party. They are not forming a coalition as much as energizing one that already existed. And even then, they did it because of the access that they had to pretty much every single big name democratic and media person out there.

Chapo, by being more leftwing, is not going to have access to anywhere near the same amount of people. Even then, they've done an incredible job of recruiting people for the DSA and of amplifying important leftwing voices (how many people here followed Ricky Rawls, RL Stephens, Roqayah Chammseddine before they were guests).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Breadallelogram posted:

Saving Christmas isn't actually about the War on Christmas, not even a little bit. And it ends with the most painfully white thing I've ever seen committed to film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0PIT8pkCfQ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Saving Christmas isn't actually about the War on Christmas, not even a little bit. And it ends with the most painfully white thing I've ever seen committed to film.

I can't do it. My skeleton is trying to leave my body 15 seconds in.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Complaining about Chapo not doing enough to advance left politics in America is like complaining that Mystery Science Theater 3000 doesn't do enough to create quality cinema.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Saving Christmas is literally a movie about how the most Christ-like way to cherish Christmas is to spend thousands on decorating your huge house and filling it with presents to impress your friends and also white guy rap.

Like, it's such an odd duck that there's a literal scene where a guy rants about 'the war on christmas' and our cool guy protagonist just goes 'uh huh, right buddy' before telling people that buying a very large tree is what Jesus would do because...the cross...was made from...wood.

Kirk Cameron is legally mentally unfit I think.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night posted:

Saving Christmas is literally a movie about how the most Christ-like way to cherish Christmas is to spend thousands on decorating your huge house and filling it with presents to impress your friends and also white guy rap.

Like, it's such an odd duck that there's a literal scene where a guy rants about 'the war on christmas' and our cool guy protagonist just goes 'uh huh, right buddy' before telling people that buying a very large tree is what Jesus would do because...the cross...was made from...wood.

I love how American Protestantism is just a collection of heresies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

From what I understand the plot is:

Rich Christian guy has a crisis of conscience when he realizes he's living in a huge house with 2 fridges full of food and spending thousands on presents and parties even though basically the only thing Jesus ever preached was "give all your money to the poor." He wants to cancel his huge Christmas party, but then Kirk Cameron convinces him that materialism is the light and the truth.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

From what I understand the plot is:

Rich Christian guy has a crisis of conscience when he realizes he's living in a huge house with 2 fridges full of food and spending thousands on presents and parties even though basically the only thing Jesus ever preached was "give all your money to the poor." He wants to cancel his huge Christmas party, but then Kirk Cameron convinces him that materialism is the light and the truth.

yea that's basically all it is. A dude feels guilty at being what most would call obscenely wealthy while going to church every sunday and hearing about how Jesus tells his followers to spend their obscene wealth they may accrue on helping their fellow man and not on giant parties.

He then gets a 90 minute pep talk from Kirk about how ACTUALLY nothing's wrong and you're MORE Christian for being obscenely wealthy.

Like, if there was even a bit about 'but yea it's objectively good to support the poor, consider giving some money to charity especially around the holidays' or if it ended with some cheesy 'and then he took his big fancy party to the local soup kitchen to share their food and pitch in' it'd be a generic Christian holiday movie but Cameron actively rejects that chance every time. It's amazing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh, also it's SAINT Nick, so Santa's really a Christian symbol.

Anyway, this would be an excellent Chapo Christmas Special.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Huzanko posted:

id rather the podcast be good than it save the world thanks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farm Frenzy posted:

id rather the podcast be good than it save the world thanks

You know what podcast thinks it's gonna save the world? Pod Save America.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I think this might be raw white guilt compressed into video form.

sexpig by night posted:

You know what podcast thinks it's gonna save the world? Pod Save America.
Psshh, typical American, thinking the US is the entire world :rolleyes:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Halloween Jack posted:

This is why I think we need to make the war on Christmas a reality.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

this movie just sounds like Kirk Cameron trying to convince himself that he isn't a piece of poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CortezFantastic posted:

this movie just sounds like Kirk Cameron trying to convince himself that he isn't a piece of poo poo

it's absolutely that yea. If I recall it came out around the same time he did his dumbass banana stuff and really started pushing for his own christian tv channel and poo poo and everyone was saying 'if you genuinely believe in this why are you just trying to profit off everything you do'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Guy Goodbody posted:

I love how American Protestantism is just a collection of heresies.

Well you’re not supposed to outright admit that you’re basically worshipping American capitalism. It’s why there’s big enough Christian backlash to the prosperity gospel vultures.