Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
With casting alone they were able to effectively set up the Cyborg character, and yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

DC Murderverse posted:

RIGHT!? This is the most frustrating thing. Like, I don't begrudge people for liking this movie because I kinda liked it while I was watching it and I'm not opposed to watching it again, and I understand why people don't like BvS to some extent, even though it's like tailor-made for me to enjoy. People have different tastes but it was incredibly obvious to me and the people I was watching the movie with that there were scenes that were rear end-ugly spread throughout the entire movie and it's really distracting to switch between Snyder-Vision and Whedon-Vision that much/often, and it amazes me how many people are able to ignore that because of the character interactions or it being "fun" or whatever.

Beyond the scene with the crook on the roof and some of the terrorist shots, and then Jonathan Kent's photo sinking into the alien soup which was SUCH a Snyder thing cuz it's weird and sad and had no logical reason to happen... I really struggled to identify any shots I felt smacked of Zack Snyder. I know I've said this before but so many of the Diana/Bruce scenes or any scenes where the characters were just talking/conferring felt absolutely Hallmark, just flat and lifeless.

e:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

With casting alone they were able to effectively set up the Cyborg character, and yet...

he says "booyah" at the very end of the movie and I was all sniffling into my popcorn like "not like this.... it wasn't supposed to be like this..."

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Kurzon posted:

I wonder if people would have been this upset about Cavill's moustache being edited out if they hadn't been told in advance. I think every movie-goer was carefully scrutinizing his lips for signs of editing.
Nah it did look odd. It'll play better on home video I think. But I won't know because they only way I'll watch it is a director's cut if they release one, which likely won't have that stuff

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kurzon posted:

I think it's a tragedy that Cyborg's origin was detailed in that stupid little video in Batman v Superman because what Justice League needed was some better exposition of Cyborg's origin. He's not as well known as Batman or Superman so he needed something better. If you ask me, his accident and his transformation should have taken place in this movie. I read the comic books so I know all about Cyborg but most moviegoers do not.

I mean, they could have easily reshown it from their perspective to play up the horror of it. That may have even originally been on the docket (or it might be on the cutting room floor) and it got lost in all the script changes, studio interference, and directorial changes.

Snyder doesn't seem like the type of director who would rely on a previous movie to fill us in on what happened. The first thing he did in BvS was reshow the majority of the climax of MoS from a more terrifying perspective to remind us of the stakes.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Nobody saw this movie because it's bad and both previous movies in this series were extremely bad.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Corrosion posted:

Studio meddling = Luthor putting blood in the Genesis Chamber. Justice League is actually about the resurrection of Doomsday.

Also Lex is the source for all their names and logos minus Batman and Superman.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It looks like they're going to have Patty Jenkins direct all future DC movies and Gal Gadot will play all DC superheroes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/watertowermusic/status/931945228235366400

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Black Bones posted:

Also Lex is the source for all their names and logos minus Batman and Superman.

that whole laptop scene is so loving dumb but the fact that he made all their little icons and names is such an OCD thing for Lex to do I can't help but laugh at it, it unironically owns

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think it's overblown, unless the theory is that Flash somehow found out about Lex's branding and slapped it on his chest, or Aquaman had the royal Atlantan armorers weld it onto his belt.

I think it's more likely Lex had been monitoring them all longer and had a lot more info and what we saw was Bruce just quickly browsing through each directory.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

This was another moment that didn't do anything for me. All power to you Sigrid but your cover didn't really add anything to the movie or the spirit of the song

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I haven't watched this yet but reading over this tread, even the comments from people who thought it was good make it sound like a complete turd.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Thinking about it again and one of the things that took me way off was the muscle shading/drawings on the super suit. I’m watching BvS and it’s there but I barely notice it.

They turned up the lighting in Justice league and it made the suit for me look awful when I loved that suit in MOS and BvS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Red Letter Media's review is up! I rarely find my views with film aligning with these guys, but most of the time I find their criticisms funny and entertaining. Haven't watched this yet, so looking forward to them tearing this film a part lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1s5ElKmQm4

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I never liked their reviews for comic book movies because they don't think they should be anything else other than silly because comics are silly and trying to tackle deeper subject matters or themes is bad and wrong. Such a narrow view to go into a film you plan to review as a critic. But they can be funny.

Edit: yeah, forgot movies there. If they reviewed comics it'd be on that parody nerd show they do and that's comedy gold.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 18, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I knew Mike (guy on the left) would love this movie. If there was one of three who would, I figured it'd be him. His film sensibilities are closest to my own haha.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The monotone dude and the skinny dude seem to know what they are talking about re: movies (their review of Baby Driver was pretty thoughtful) but the dude they seemingly bring in exclusively for comic book movies is the worst and has the most obvious mainstream opinions that they could just read a random CBR post out loud if he is ever out sick for one and nobody would notice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So the plot of the movie is basically the same as Man of Steel?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Guy A. Person posted:

The monotone dude and the skinny dude seem to know what they are talking about re: movies (their review of Baby Driver was pretty thoughtful) but the dude they seemingly bring in exclusively for comic book movies is the worst and has the most obvious mainstream opinions that they could just read a random CBR post out loud if he is ever out sick for one and nobody would notice.

It's important for Rich to feel included with his friends.

e: You are right that his opinions are garbage though. But Jimbot already summed it up the best -

Jimbot posted:

they don't think [comic book movies] should be anything else other than silly because comics are silly and trying to tackle deeper subject matters or themes is bad and wrong.

They want that feel good schlock always on tap even as they loathe themselves for it

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 18, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I guess the location of Themyscira is confirmed to be in the Mediterranean Sea? It made sense in WW when Steve escaped the factory in the Ottoman Empire but the trip back to England was seemingly done overnight.

It looks like they’re trying to “correct” Diana’s comment at the end of BvS. Everyone now talks about her “closing herself off” for a century, not walking away. Although as Bruce points out no one has ever heard of her prior to the Doomsday incident so maybe she just worked in the shadows like an even more serious version of Batman?

After Clark took Lois and flew back to Kansas did everyone figure that Lois would be able to convince him to help out the League? They just seem to have gone “well I guess that’s it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯”

Also how did his mom know he was back? I thought Clark asked Lois to call his mom and tell her and Lois said OK but then Martha just showed up?

Gorn Myson posted:

I haven't watched this yet but reading over this tread, even the comments from people who thought it was good make it sound like a complete turd.
I liked it and I’d see it again. I just think it had the potential to be a lot more and I don’t think the Whedon additions helped the movie.

Guy A. Person posted:

I think it's more likely Lex had been monitoring them all longer and had a lot more info and what we saw was Bruce just quickly browsing through each directory.
Yeah, with the exception of Cyborg, they all have their logos on their outfits. WW has her in her belt and arm band. Although Cyborg does get his logo on his outfit at the end so I don’t know how Lex knew about that.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 18, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jimbot posted:

I never liked their reviews for comic books because they don't think they should be anything else other than silly because comics are silly and trying to tackle deeper subject matters or themes is bad and wrong.

This is actually the opposite they want comic books movies to be but I guess you didn't watch the Thor review.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Also how did his mom know he was back? I thought Clark asked Lois to call his mom and tell her and Lois said OK but then Martha just showed up?

Lois called her. Clark heard Martha driving up and that's when he mentioned it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I *really really really* want to see what Snyder's Superman Comeback was. If you believe that link almost everything with him was deleted and reshot.

Since 99% of his scenes had CGI upper lip, then yeah I believe it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

teagone posted:

I knew Mike (guy on the left) would love this movie. If there was one of three who would, I figured it'd be him. His film sensibilities are closest to my own haha.

He loves it because it's poo poo, he says that like two minutes into talking lol.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

I actually want to see a full Snyder movie now.

"Batman saying 'my turn' is Snyder and is cut replaced with 'I didn't bring a sword' and 'he's tall' is Whedon." Ugh

"Flash helping WW with her sword is Snyder. Face plant joke after is Whedon." :ughh:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

It looks like they’re trying to “correct” Diana’s comment at the end of BvS. Everyone now talks about her “closing herself off” for a century, not walking away. Although as Bruce points out no one has ever heard of her prior to the Doomsday incident so maybe she just worked in the shadows like an even more serious version of Batman?

look if Wonder Woman 2 takes after the 1970s comics where Diana was a spy that did cool superspy martial arts poo poo while running a mod boutique, I'll be giddy as all hell

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This article is so incredible it reads like a parody

http://www.slashfilm.com/superman-in-justice-league/

quote:

‘Justice League’ Finally Gets Superman Right

Justice League, the latest adventure in the DCEU (or whatever it’s really called) does a lot of things wrong – its editing is choppy; its storyline is threadbare; its villain is painfully forgettable. But one thing Justice League surprisingly well is revitalize Superman. It finally lets Superman be Superman; not the brooding bore that we’ve been stuck with for two previous movies, but a dorky, glint-in-his-eye hero. A hero who enjoys saving the day.

The best scene in Justice League comes at the very beginning, before the credits have even rolled. We’re treated to cell phone footage, being shot by kids off screen, of Superman before his demise. The kids pester the Man of Steel with a bunch of cute questions about his life as a hero, and Superman obliges them.

This, right here, is the film’s way of signaling that things are different from the very start. The Superman on display in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman would have absolutely no time for these kids and their questions. He’d probably frown at them before flying off. Here, however, we get Superman playfully interacting with kids who idolize him.

--

Lois tells him he has to put on his super-suit and save the day.

And what does Superman do? I can tell you what the old Superman would do – the one from Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. He’d throw a fit, and complain, and demand reasons. “Why should I save the day?” he might say, frowning and crossing his arms. The Superman in Justice League does none of that. Instead, he agrees that he does, indeed, need to be a hero. He flies off to help his new friends in the Justice League battle the annoying villain Steppenwolf. And he does it with gusto!

There’s no collateral damage here. There are no scenes of Superman accidentally destroying a city block, or snapping a neck. He fights Steppenwolf heroically, and he even gets to use his ice breath – something we haven’t seen the character use in these films before. It’s a big, bold, sort of dumb moment that resonates because it’s fun to watch Superman be Superman. It’s fun to see him actually saving the day instead of pummeling Batman or slamming a CGI Michael Shannon into the side of a skyscraper.

Violator
May 15, 2003

So any thoughts on what the original story arc was going to be before they reshuffled everything after BvS?

Justice League Part 1 = Steppenwolf, Superman is bad and/or doubts himself and goes into hiding
Justice League Part 2 = Darkseid, Superman finds himself and returns

I feel like Snyder would have had a good reason for Superman to die in BvS leading to a good reason for him to return. It feels like "die to make Batman realize he was too mean when fighting criminals" isn't enough for the whole death and return storyline.

It also seems like there's no real introspection on Clarks' part when he returns, and I feel like that would have been a big part of his return with Snyder. Maybe he's just really happy after returning, but it seems like the guy who sat around thinking about dead horses and hero cakes would be a little more thoughtful about returning from the dead.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gluten Freeman posted:

This article is so incredible it reads like a parody

http://www.slashfilm.com/superman-in-justice-league/

I mean this has to be taking the piss right?:

quote:

And what does Superman do? I can tell you what the old Superman would do – the one from Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. He’d throw a fit, and complain, and demand reasons. “Why should I save the day?” he might say, frowning and crossing his arms.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd like to know where in Batman V Superman and Man of Steel that happened.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Violator posted:

It also seems like there's no real introspection on Clarks' part when he returns, and I feel like that would have been a big part of his return with Snyder. Maybe he's just really happy after returning, but it seems like the guy who sat around thinking about dead horses and hero cakes would be a little more thoughtful about returning from the dead.
This is one of the things I found jarring. Clark’s personality in JL compared to MoS and BvS is so different. MoS and BvS was about him trying to understand his place in the world, realizing he couldn’t be everything to everyone as he wasn’t omnipotent, and finding the limits to his powers. In JL he comes back from the dead and the only comment he makes is that “it was weird”.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Violator posted:

So any thoughts on what the original story arc was going to be before they reshuffled everything after BvS?

Justice League Part 1 = Steppenwolf, Superman is bad and/or doubts himself and goes into hiding
Justice League Part 2 = Darkseid, Superman finds himself and returns

I feel like Snyder would have had a good reason for Superman to die in BvS leading to a good reason for him to return. It feels like "die to make Batman realize he was too mean when fighting criminals" isn't enough for the whole death and return storyline.

The post credits should be a page from Game of Thrones with Superman giving a speech about the unending nothingness and how nothing we do matters.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Kurzon posted:

I think it's a tragedy that Cyborg's origin was detailed in that stupid little video in Batman v Superman because what Justice League needed was some better exposition of Cyborg's origin. He's not as well known as Batman or Superman so he needed something better. If you ask me, his accident and his transformation should have taken place in this movie. I read the comic books so I know all about Cyborg but most moviegoers do not.

I assume the shots of him playing football for Gotham High/University or whatever in the trailers was gonna do exactly that. They could then flashback to or show the stuff from BvS from another perspective and flesh his origin out more.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

LesterGroans posted:

Lois called her. Clark heard Martha driving up and that's when he mentioned it.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jiro posted:

He loves it because it's poo poo, he says that like two minutes into talking lol.

Yes, I know. I watched the review. That's exactly the reason why I figured he would like it, because I can recognize the amount of schlock present in this movie and I know Mike likes dumb, schlocky poo poo. But I unironically enjoyed Justice League as such, while Mike enjoyed it ironically as he enjoyed X-Men Apocalypse and X-Men Origins: Wolverine for the same reasons (I did not like either of those X-Men films at all). Like yes, I know there are bad parts to Justice League, hilariously so, but that didn't deter from my personal enjoyment of the film. It did not feel like a Snyder film to me at all, but I somehow ended up feeling oddly satisfied by the end product.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Jimbot posted:

I'd like to know where in Batman V Superman and Man of Steel that happened.
I can understand people not liking the tone of Snyder's films and such (and most people only saw the bad theatrical cut of BvS) but it's annoying to see otherwise smart people's brains turn to mush when talking about them, like they were watching a completely different movie

Like people that somehow don't get the whole "Martha..." thing in BvS. Like the first loving scene of the movie is Bruce watching his father dying from a gunshot wound calling out "Martha..." Hmmm why would a psychologically scarred vigilante freak out when someone he's about to kill does the same thing as his father. And people who get paid actual money to write were like "Hmm makes no sense to me, Snyder is a dumb jock durrrrrrr"

Ghosthotel posted:

Plenty of people I know who both liked and didn't like BvS thought the scene was just pointing out the coincidence of them moms with the same name. I literally got into an argument last week with someone about it and when I explained it to them they said I was reading way too hard into the movie.
Exactly.

Roman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 18, 2017

Violator
May 15, 2003

From the DCEU reddit. This is a cherry picked comparison obviously, but someone pointed out that they didn't include Bruce's widow's peak in the reshoots and now I can't unsee it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Roman posted:

I can understand people not liking the tone of Snyder's films and such (and most people only saw the bad theatrical cut of BvS) but it's annoying to see otherwise smart people's brains turn to mush when talking about them, like they were watching a completely different movie

Like people that somehow don't get the whole "Martha..." thing in BvS. Like the first loving scene of the movie is Bruce watching his father dying from a gunshot wound calling out "Martha..." Hmmm why would a psychologically scarred vigilante freak out when someone he's about to kill does the same thing as his father. And people who get paid actual money to write were like "Hmm makes no sense to me, Snyder is a dumb jock durrrrrrr"

The intent of that scene is incredibly obvious. Failing to grasp the intent is not why people hated it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Roman posted:

Yeah, definitely. It's why I often seem crass when talking about them. If you dislike it, then that's great. But no need to fabricate poo poo that didn't happen in the films, my man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

The intent of that scene is incredibly obvious. Failing to grasp the intent is not why people hated it.

Plenty of people I know who both liked and didn't like BvS thought the scene was just pointing out the coincidence of them moms with the same name. I literally got into an argument last week with someone about it and when I explained it to them they said I was reading way too hard into the movie.