Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Considering the series' fixation on dubstep and internet memes it's also pretty damning that Tales from the Borderlands was the only time in the entire series I ever found either used in a way that was actually funny. (Bossanova's intro and the Make Her Head Spin :dealwithit:, respectively)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

StandardVC10 posted:

ALCOHOLISM DESTROYS FAMILIES!

Seriously though I'm not sure how Torgue's voice actor managed to stay on maximum attack mode for however long it took to record all his lines.

Cocaine

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

StandardVC10 posted:

ALCOHOLISM DESTROYS FAMILIES!

Seriously though I'm not sure how Torgue's voice actor managed to stay on maximum attack mode for however long it took to record all his lines.

Because the voice isn't that far away from Mister Satan which is his most famous role

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy, the game has been split into cases rather than just chapters like previous games in the Professor Layton series. This allows you to reaccess a set of areas in order to hunt for missed and newly-available puzzles and hint coins, and when you want a break, you can go back to the titular character's detective agency to choose which case to check out. The part I quite like, though, is that you're able to redecorate this screen - there are 8 elements whose appearance you can change to make the cozy little room your own. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was just watching an archived version of one of the old Retsupuraes that was removed, likely due to the facecam, of the guy playing Streets of Rage 3, and I like the wordplay in the bad ending (the guy was playing on easy and it's one of those games where you need to play on normal or above before it will let you move to the final stages) because it's all sentences hinting at what you did wrong (stuff in parentheses is my clarification): "You'll never beat Mr X with that pathetic level of fighting! (actually meaning difficulty level)" "We'll need to try (playing on something) harder!" All you need to do is recognise that while the sentences themselves make sense, they are hinting for those unfamiliar with the mechanic if you read between the lines.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Oh, I also have a thing from Streets of Rage 3—the bottles that fall off the shelves and crash on the floor when someone gets thrown during the Yasha & Onihime fight. It's a neat little detail that adds to the atmosphere, which I didn't even appreciate until I noticed it doesn't happen in Streets of Rage Remake.

Edit: Also, best boss theme ever, only used one other time in the whole game.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 11:50 on Nov 18, 2017

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I love how in Wolfenstein 2 they used german voice actors for the German characters. Even the random soldiers who talk about terror Billy or just chat about their day speak perfect german.
Everyone except Sigrun who speaks decent German but with a very noticable American accent.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shai-Hulud posted:

I love how in Wolfenstein 2 they used german voice actors for the German characters. Even the random soldiers who talk about terror Billy or just chat about their day speak perfect german.
Everyone except Sigrun who speaks decent German but with a very noticable American accent.

Even better is that they went the extra mile and made the German spoken in there basically period-appropriate. It's not a huge difference, but you can definitely tell that it's not just colloquial modern German, but just a little bit old-fashioned. Which is perfectly appropriate, given that the Nazis absolutely would be the kind of people to make sure their language never changed the least bit from how it was like in the thirties.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's odd but I appreciate how the vast majority of German characters speak German unless there's some reason they would speak English, such as speaking directly to Blazkowicz. A lot of media will cheat and just do the "They speak German accents so you can assume it's speaking German". I barely notice it in the game because they don't just wreck your immersion like that.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's odd but I appreciate how the vast majority of German characters speak German unless there's some reason they would speak English, such as speaking directly to Blazkowicz. A lot of media will cheat and just do the "They speak German accents so you can assume it's speaking German". I barely notice it in the game because they don't just wreck your immersion like that.

The campaign in Call of Duty WWII has a scene where an undercover French Resistance fighter is talking to a German officer and 3 lines in he asks her if they can continue the conversation in English so he can keep in practice. I was amazed at how brazenly it ripped off of Inglorious Basterds. It even has the same thing going on where he knows she's lying but acts friendly and polite until he suddenly reveals he's known from the start.

nael has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Nov 19, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally playing the new Steven Universe game Save the Light, and I'm loving the fact that it's idiosyncracies are logical for fans of the show, for example the unmarked sidequests, like with Lion. You need to feed him Lion Lickers from the Big Donut - 4 and he gives you a badge. Nothing in the game that I've seen explicitly says to do that, you just need to notice that the candy is marked as a quest item, and that the freezer doesn't restock when reloading the shop interior like every other item, and remember that Lion is the only character in the show who eats Lion Lickers - Steven hates them because they are lovely Cookie Cat knockoffs that barely even look like lions.

Also the weapon upgrades add secondary effects that fit the characters, like Garnet, who is quick to apply a brute force solution to things, gets a chance to One-Hit-KO any small or medium size enemy, and Amethyst, who doesn't care about rules or structure, gets the ability to randomly attack without using Star Points effectively getting a free turn.

I like it despite the glitches due to that attention to detail.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
So Pokemon Sun and Moon 2.0 are out and they're pretty decent. They've added in a bunch of new Pokemon from the older generations to keep it feeling new (this is an alternate timeline from Sun and Moon which is why things are slightly different), and from Lana onwards they seem to have changed up the trials. What makes me laugh every goddamn time I see one though are the Trial stickers. The premise is that Ilimia, the very first Trial Captain you come across, has been putting up these stickers everywhere to guide kids on their trials. Sensible stuff! You collect them and you can get Totem Pokemon. What is less sensible and more funny is that these stickers are everywhere. The mental image of this dorky pink-haired loser strolling into people's private homes to slap a sticker on their fridge is great.

Also, the Mantine Surfing minigame is awesome.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I took the plunge on Early Access casual chill-out game Tower Unite after being sold on the weird player-created content, but the actual game itself has a lot of fun little things like how the bowling minigame uses lo-res prerendered videos whenever you get a strike/spare/split/etc. just like a real bowling alley.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I took the plunge on Early Access casual chill-out game Tower Unite after being sold on the weird player-created content, but the actual game itself has a lot of fun little things like how the bowling minigame uses lo-res prerendered videos whenever you get a strike/spare/split/etc. just like a real bowling alley.

You have to post the animation for the Spare.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AC: Origins is a loot game where you are picking up new weapons all the time. However they also built in a system so that if you like a current piece of equipment you can go to a blacksmith and pay a nominal fee to bump the item up to your current level.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Warframe has a ton of weapons and modifications which can be used on them, which allows for some fun with different builds (most of those builds are no good for end game stuff). Some examples are the glaives, which are thrown weapons - there are mods which change how many times they bounce before returning to you, but if your glaive is in mid flight you can press fire again and it will explode at that point then cut its journey short. You can accidentally kill yourself by immediately blowing up a thrown glaive.

There are also some gimmicky weapons with fun effects and ideas:
Simulor which creates mini black holes to keep enemies down,

Harpak which is a harpoon launcher to let you be like MK Scorpion,

Lenz which is a bow that shoots arrows that explode in a large area after a couple of seconds,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlF22sGKFas&t=31s

Zarr, which is literally just a giant hand held cannon,

Phage which fires out tendrils of energy which can be spread out or focused (this synergises well with one of the warframe abilities).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiq9MJ_2pEo&t=56s

Other weapons also have unique abilities:
Basolk is a melee weapon which teleports you to a distant target when charged up,

Atterax is a whip with what is basically a nutri-bullet attached to the head (it is one of the highest damage weapons in the game), it can also be modded for huge range allowing you to kill enemies through walls,

Galatine is a pretty standard claymore style weapon, and has a great stance which lets you spin2win but is nerfed by having your character overbalance if you spin too much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFC8uTzf2bA&t=15s

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Nov 19, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

nael posted:

The campaign in Call of Duty WWII has a scene where an undercover French Resistance fighter is talking to a German officer and 3 lines in he asks her if they can continue the conversation in English so he can keep in practice. I was amazed at how brazenly it ripped off of Inglorious Basterds. It even has the same thing going on where he knows she's lying but acts friendly and polite until he suddenly reveals he's known from the start.

I'd been hearing that it wasn't that good, but that's just insulting.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Samovar posted:

It's basically just par for the course now. The last CoD set in WWII also just straight-up copied that fountain scene from Enemy at the Gates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ZYyXgf0MU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
World War 2 media has been ripping itself off for aeons.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Perestroika posted:

It's basically just par for the course now. The last CoD set in WWII also just straight-up copied that fountain scene from Enemy at the Gates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ZYyXgf0MU

One of the modern CoDs (because they're all loving interchangable) has a level that's basically a recreation of the Normandy landing from Saving Private Ryan.

Except you're playing in the position of the Nazis.

And you also have drone strikes.

It's one of those moments that feels like it has to be satire, because nothing could possibly be that tone deaf.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
hosed up that there was a real WWII

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the thing that there are enough WW2 games now that they literally equal more than the length of time the actual war took place. Unless I'm misremembering the statistic, it might be the time that passes in each games story.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the thing that there are enough WW2 games now that they literally equal more than the length of time the actual war took place. Unless I'm misremembering the statistic, it might be the time that passes in each games story.

Yeah nah six years is over 50000 hours so definitely not actual game-play. And as to "piece of fiction about a thing covers a period roughly equivalent to the time thing took in IRL life", it's the dumbest god drat truism I've ever heard.

e: Maybe multi-player hours? That would've probably been true years ago.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Nov 19, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

2 is the only other one I actually completed a play-through on. Almost twice, but it got old. Gage's robot was starting to lose its tankiness and I am bad at games.
No, you're not. BL2 is super obtuse in really stupid ways, unless you're really lucky you'll eventually hit a wall where your build can't deal with the idiotic scaling.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I know XKCD's What If blog once mathed out how long the runtime of every single WWII movie compares to the actual length of the war, and movie runtime is still shorter than actual war runtime by about 7:1 (it's obviously less now, but probably not much less). I'd say the only way you can really say that WWII games have a longer duration than WWII itself is if you count the time that the servers have been online, because technically speaking WWII has been going on on them until the servers are shut down. I think that's a bit of a copout, though.

The duration of WWII games can't possibly be longer than the duration of the war itself without counting server uptime as duration. There's a hell of a lot more WWII movies than games, and even they don't get close. And it's not like WWII games tend to make up for it with exhaustive length of story campaigns, since I'd say most of them are multiplayer FPSes that had short single-player campaigns, but I admit I don't know the stats on that.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Nov 19, 2017

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cleretic posted:

I know XKCD's What If blog once mathed out how long the runtime of every single WWII movie compares to the actual length of the war, and movie runtime is still shorter than actual war runtime by about 7:1 (it's obviously less now, but probably not much less). I'd say the only way you can really say that WWII games have a longer duration than WWII itself is if you count the time that the servers have been online, because technically speaking WWII has been going on on them until the servers are shut down. I think that's a bit of a copout, though.

The duration of WWII games can't possibly be longer than the duration of the war itself without counting server uptime as duration. There's a hell of a lot more WWII movies than games, and even they don't get close. And it's not like WWII games tend to make up for it with exhaustive length of story campaigns, since I'd say most of them are multiplayer FPSes that had short single-player campaigns, but I admit I don't know the stats on that.

GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY, NERD

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Screaming Idiot posted:

GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY, NERD

*discusses video game details in cool, manly way*

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, you're not. BL2 is super obtuse in really stupid ways, unless you're really lucky you'll eventually hit a wall where your build can't deal with the idiotic scaling.

That wall is the third playthrough and is called "you have to always have slag on everything".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Samovar posted:

It's especially dumb because the entire reason it's so great in Basterds is because you think it's just Tarantino making a joke but then it turns out Landa was doing it because he knows the Jews the farmer had hiding in the floorboards don't speak English so he could wear him down into giving them up without them knowing. It's like having the character in your fantasy game be right-handed because you like The Princess Bride, you're ignoring all the context and build-up that made it great in the first place.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Just got Heat Signature on a whim. I like the mechanic that encourages you to retire powerful characters and start new ones. In order to keep your overgeared characters from being able to waltz through the entire game you eventually stop being able to meaningfully contribute to the macrogame that allows you to move the plot forwards and unlock new stuff in the shop. By the time you've likely unlocked three things at best you will only be contributing like 20% as much as a fresh character, so a super hard mission will be around as useful as a cakewalk for the new guy.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

rydiafan posted:

That wall is the third playthrough and is called "you have to always have slag on everything".

Fortunately the third playthrough is so optional that you have to buy the privilege to do it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Borderlands is much better if just start over with a new character rather than trying the post game. It's how I play any Diablo style game really. Do the fun parts and skip the grind.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

Okay how many man-hours were put into WWII (soldiers/combatants and officers, not support/logistics/engineering/civilian) compared to hours in-game? A player might put 40 hours into four games and thus spend 160 hours "in the war", so multiply avg playtime (per game) * games available * sales (per game), and compare to soldiers * avg term of service (per army); there's a metric I might like to see some turbonerd lose a weekend solving.
:goonsay:

Off the top of my head you'd probably have to add in "viewers (per movie) * runtime (per movie) * movies available" in order to get something close to parity.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

rodbeard posted:

Borderlands is much better if just start over with a new character rather than trying the post game. It's how I play any Diablo style game really. Do the fun parts and skip the grind.

Path of Exile's latest update fixes this really well. Way steeper and smoother levelling curve, an actual fuckin' ending, and the post game feels integrated into the main story now rather than hanging off the side like a weird cancerous organ.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Somfin posted:

Path of Exile's latest update fixes this really well. Way steeper and smoother levelling curve, an actual fuckin' ending, and the post game feels integrated into the main story now rather than hanging off the side like a weird cancerous organ.

I always forget that game exists I should really try it out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

rodbeard posted:

It was a little intimidating at first but it's really well done. It has the same feel as Diablo 1 and even Dark Souls.
I got two characters into the post game and never felt like I had to spend a dime.

But you should because supporting developers that make content you enjoy is a moral imperative.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

rodbeard posted:

Two pieces of advice:

1. Your first character will kinda suck. They've really improved the tutorial, but there's no getting around the fact that your first character will just sorta be okay. Find something that seems fun and play around with things, with the intention of collecting currencies and then abandoning the poor bastard to its fate and trying again, properly, with a different character later.

2. There's an entirely different game hiding at about level 80 or so, once you download a good custom item filter and get into the rhythm of how the game flows. It's hard to explain properly, but there's a paradigm shift in how you approach play sessions; you go from playing from map to map, to making progress on a much larger scale. You probably shouldn't try to get to that poo poo on your first character and possibly not even on your second.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Once you're ready, use this list to find a build that sounds fun and then try to base something off it. I've been playing for like four years now and I'm only now actually making my own builds, so :v:

E: ALSO CAP YOUR loving RESISTANCES

VVV The game is actually really drat fun. It's all about building crazy skill and equipment synergies and then clearing maps (IE, Rifts from Diablo 3) each with crazy mods stacked on top of each other. Like, this map is full of portals to hell that open up when you touch them and start vomiting crazy hellbeasts. Or this map is full of massive treasure chests guarded by people from a bygone era, and has a chance of their master being in the area to sell some of his ancient loot for his own unique currencies, etc.

Galick has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Nov 20, 2017

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Somfin posted:

Two pieces of advice:

1. Your first character will kinda suck. They've really improved the tutorial, but there's no getting around the fact that your first character will just sorta be okay. Find something that seems fun and play around with things, with the intention of collecting currencies and then abandoning the poor bastard to its fate and trying again, properly, with a different character later.

2. There's an entirely different game hiding at about level 80 or so, once you download a good custom item filter and get into the rhythm of how the game flows. It's hard to explain properly, but there's a paradigm shift in how you approach play sessions; you go from playing from map to map, to making progress on a much larger scale. You probably shouldn't try to get to that poo poo on your first character and possibly not even on your second.

That all sounds like a terrible loving chore and a waste of time that could be used to play better games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Somfin posted:

Two pieces of advice:

This sounds awful.