Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

Oh boy I wish I could agree. My views changed when I did the Dutch pistol marksmanship course which was no joke. To show us, the LTC (Dutch) commander did it, scored perfect and did it while smoking a cigar with no loving safety equipment beyond ear pro. Then he yelled at this AF enlisted dude who failed loving hard.

That pistol course is what all officers should do. It’s so loving good.

That wasn't my experience with other military's on combat deployments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

*Not a guarantee. Experiences may vary.

(posts while foreign officer actively talks over the instructor to ask for help cheating)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

spacetoaster posted:

We all can’t get winners. All of my foreign stuff was really cool. All my normal Army poo poo was not.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I didn’t have good experiences with the foreign armies I worked with. Which was limited to the Afghan army and the ROK army.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

We all can’t get winners. All of my foreign stuff was really cool. All my normal Army poo poo was not.

All my "foreign stuff" is awesome. Best parties I've ever been to.

That's just stuff in the big European cities and fun places though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

aussies were nice but horrible horrible cooks.
georgians were hilarious
un troops dont know what the gently caress
ugandans were super friendly

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
This is what peak performance looks like.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Kosovo mission:

German troops gave no fucks and were super chill. Got to do a ride-along with one of their border patrols in the fall, meeting with locals and looking for illegal woodcutters. Awesome dudes.

French enlisted were chill, French officers/senior enlisted were torture to work with. No, you can't use the emergency exit to bring the case of water to your office because it is closer, and we can't turn off the alarm now thank you.

Swiss made fun of us for not being able to drink.

Moroccans threw parties for every occasion. Food was always delicious. Super nice to work with, and really well trained in riot ops.

Ukrainians gave no fucks, got wasted on the regular. Still the hardest working engineers ever, and would regularly get tasks done far above schedule. Also they cleared roadblocks with BMPs. Seeing a car do a flip because it just got hit with an APC is great.

Turkish Army got shot done and went home.

Greeks got mad we didn't refer to Macedonia as 'former yugoslav republic of Macedonia', and did little else.

Kosovo security forces made up of young kids and these grizzled Yugoslav vets who fought in the war. Love Bill Clinton, had awesome stories.

Danish were chill, did the DANCON. Hated it, got the shirt.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Swedes: DTF.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

boop the snoot posted:

You have to be a miserable major in order to become a lovely bat commander!

Mustang posted:

Just so I can become a miserable major? No thanks

So I was talking to my old S3 from my captain days recently. I needed an LOR for something and we were catching up over facebook messenger.

former army major -> LTC posted:

Zeris, what up. Have watched Facebook photos of you I various stages of "Born on the Fourth of July". What is the latest, where you at and what are you doing. After 4 years of trying for battalion command and ROTC I finally got the hint the army doesn't need me and dropped my retirement packet last week. Liberating but scary.

Would be happy to help any way I can. Just got to work (nights at Amazon). If you don't here anything back from me in 48 hours out another bug in my ear. This change to Amazon is not super easy and I am working all kinds of strange hours.

(a few days later)

thanks for the reminder. It was necessary. I usually get home about 08 fall asleep until 3 and head to work at 4. Am I just sending it back to you? I will get on it as soon as I walk through the door.

:stare:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

that sure is some word salad

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I am confuse.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
your S3 has been taken over by a markov chain

i don't want to know what amazon is doing in those warehouses

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I don't see what's confusing about it but I respect that it sounds weird. I guess that was my point. Don't be the guy waiting for a chance at battalion command who takes too long to get the hint.

Just remember. No matter how much you love the army, it will never love you back as much.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Branches vary, but it's been my experience that the Army makes it extremely clear via a no-poo poo by-name list as to whether or not you are a BN CMD person. And if you wanted it, but didn't get it, embrace the freedom to pursue the coolest weirdo assignment possible for your branch/rank.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Oh absolutely have a realistic view of what you're putting into and getting out of the career. He made it to that sweet sweet pension, should have no tears over that.

But as a counterpoint about waiting for command: there are lots of influencing factors about who gets picked; be prepared not to be, since you don't want to feel disappointed for the rest of your life over some poo poo that will seem dumb in ten years, but if the Army lets you hang out and wait and you're cool with it then why not?

If you wanna be a BC, there's probably going to be about a 30% selection rate among LTCs in your year. And those LTCs were the top 55-65% of the MAJ cohort, who were the top 65-70% of the CPT cohort, who were the top 90% of the 1LT cohort, who were the top 98% of the 2LT cohort, which was probably around 6500 officers.* So nobody should feel bad about making it to retirement, assuming they didn't act like a total turd during that time.

*selection rates add 25% during major campaign surge, subtract 25% for year immediately following its loss of popularity.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Aranan posted:

My unit at Drum was supposedly transitioning over to making the 35Ts be the Trojan operators. I don't know how that wound up shaking out, but ugh... it was always nice to set it up and then ignore that thing.

I told a friend of mine that I was going to sign out at midnight for leave once, and he asked me why I didn't just do it online. He's Air Force, and apparently they had a system set up so anyone, regardless of rank, would just sign out online.

Yeah it’s called leaveweb and it’s existed since late 2002. You could still do paper leave forms until like 2008 or something.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Not In My Army

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It sure would be nice if the Army had something like that. Maybe then I wouldn't have been screwed out of 33.5 days of pay after accounting for terminal leave. Reading dates on a piece of paper (but only if it has all of the signatures) is hard, you know?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got up at midnight to sign out on terminal down at brigade and they didn't have my leave papers. The staff duty guy told me that I had to wait until 0900 and then ask S1 to let me sign out. I told him no thanks, he can keep it, my flight is at 6 and I'm never coming back. Dude looked at me like I disproved gravity right in front of him. Still got my terminal time, suckers!

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The army’s switching to a new pay/personnel system based off PeopleSoft over the next couple of years and I’m going up to stress test it next week. I’ll take a look at how leave works, although now it’ll be called something else.

Which as a sidenote I’m kinda salty that they’re changing the terms for a lot of things. For example your enlistment date will now be your hire date. My argument being that the Army doesn’t hire people but I’m betting it was part of the Oracle contract.

Also I know in the end it doesn’t matter but eh.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Once Oracle has their claws in you, there's no turning back.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Go read any business school study of how big corporation X struggled to get their new ERP software off the ground. The lessons learned section will be exactly what we are going to learn by trial and error "the training happened too far ahead or behind of the fielding" "users didn't pay attention during training" "most people are still using the old software because they know it better."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Retardog posted:

The army’s switching to a new pay/personnel system based off PeopleSoft over the next couple of years and I’m going up to stress test it next week. I’ll take a look at how leave works, although now it’ll be called something else.

Which as a sidenote I’m kinda salty that they’re changing the terms for a lot of things. For example your enlistment date will now be your hire date. My argument being that the Army doesn’t hire people but I’m betting it was part of the Oracle contract.

Also I know in the end it doesn’t matter but eh.

Half of the army won’t be getting paid for two months after it gets implemented. When they fix it, the other half won’t get paid.

And when they do get paid it will be the wrong amount.

And in 15 years they will FINALLY fuckin FINALLY settle on a deployment uniform.

Until they change it again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hahahhahhj have fun with peoplesoft bitches

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Oh here we go, I found a list of some of the terminology changes:

Duty MOS/MOSC/AOC — Job Code
Leave — Absences
Paragraph & Line Number — Position Number
Soldier — Member/Employee
Unit — Department

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Sounds like they're too lazy to change the field names from civilian terms for the Army version of the software, and the Army got a low enough bid not to care.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

absenses doesn't even sound remotely the same though. Why not say vacation time

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

absenses doesn't even sound remotely the same though. Why not say vacation time

How long before someone in leadership utterly loses their poo poo because they read 'absent' as AWOL? I give it until the first time one of them takes a look at it, so ~0.5 sec after rollout.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

So under the new system, do you have to no-call no-show 30 times in a row before you get fired?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Retardog posted:

So under the new system, do you have to no-call no-show 30 times in a row before you get fired?

Ohhh, auto-deleting someone's personnel file after the program automatically fires them for no-call/no-show should be an interesting shitshow to figure out!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Ohhh, auto-deleting someone's personnel file after the program automatically fires them for no-call/no-show should be an interesting shitshow to figure out!

"SPC, I have some news. Seems the new software didn't understand that we had sent you to airborne and air assault schools and so it marked you as no call/no show for those five weeks. As a result, the system fired you and we can't figure out how to reinstate you. Anyway, long story short, you won't get paid until we figure this out. We figure seven, eight months tops."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

"SPC, I have some news. Seems the new software didn't understand that we had sent you to airborne and air assault schools and so it marked you as no call/no show for those five weeks. As a result, the system fired you and we can't figure out how to reinstate you. Anyway, long story short, you won't get paid until we figure this out. We figure seven, eight months tops."

"McNally, the system fired your wife for being a no-show even though she's dead. It automatically cut all your survivor benefits and cancelled your ID. We'll figure this out in five, six years tops."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Retardog posted:

Leave — Absences
Unit — Department

Mr_Ruckus posted:

Sounds like they're too lazy to change the field names from civilian terms for the Army version of the software, and the Army got a low enough bid not to care.

If the government didn't ask for it then it wasn't in the bid and the vendor won't do it. Five gets you ten it gets a juicy contract mod within the first period of performance to make all those changes, though.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Lol at 'job code' being half the length of those acronyms tho

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

McNally posted:

“Just got an email from higher. There’s a patch in the works but it’ll be a few months before it gets released. In the meantime we can rehire you, but you’re gonna have to go back to MEPS and get your butthole checked.”

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just lol if you don't think the first person to get deleted from the system doesn't bolt and never returns.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vasudus posted:

Just lol if you don't think the first person to get deleted from the system doesn't bolt and never returns.

And then no one gets to go home until the system gets fixed.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Retardog posted:

Leave — Absences
Unit — Department

They said the exact same thing 10 years ago when they were 6 months from implementing DIMHRS for 5 years in a row, and we know how that worked out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Integrated_Military_Human_Resources_System

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I remember that class in AIT. “This is DIMHRS. You’re never gonna see it so we’re moving on.”

And then as a Reserve Soldier I spent eight weeks learning active duty systems that I’d never touch outside of updating DD 93s/SLGI in eMILPO. Probably why the motto was Army Strong and not Army Smart...