Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

I'm a big fan of this "ignore all non-Latin characters" approach to sorting a list.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Dunno if the exe got modified for Steam at all, but I can't seem to run thcrap with 16. Game's still rad, tho.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Apparently there's some "mild DRM" preventing the patcher from working. It's being worked on.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
is "mild DRM" their way of spinning "an ordinary Steam wrapper"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I should feel ashamed that I know what this is a parody of.

Although tbf there's not a lot of effort in that one.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Yeah the calling Cirno African American is way off base.

Everyone knows she's Latina.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Dark Souls of Undertale seems a popular refrain.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Satire of game reviewers always brings a smile.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You have a much more generous definition of "satire" than me.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Satire doesn't necessarily mean good satire.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
A wasted opportunity imho but at least it's on steam.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I haven't played a Touhou game in 5 years but I just picked this one up, we'll see how it goes

Fake edit: I was hoping in those 5 years curvy lasers died tbh

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Death, taxes, curvy lasers.

Also, I like how Narumi has one of the most OP abilities in Touhou (control of living things), but she's an ultimately insignificant* stage 4 boss.

*in the grand scheme of things. I still love her though

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She doesn't have control over living things, she has control over life. As in, the creation of life. In that sense she's a glorified fairy. That's why she has "bullet golem" spellcards, she's shooting you with living danmaku.

Edit: Changed the Touhouwiki to reflect that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 19, 2017

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
She does say that she would've been able to nullify Cirno, a being composed of pure life energy, so it seems to be more than just creation. Nevertheless, my original phrasing was wrong; sorry about that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'd imagine it's related the manipulation of lifeforce, the energy. But that's still not nearly the same as "living creatures".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Countdown till Mokou tries to be killed by her.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Also remember that the idea behind abilities is that they're self-reported so we get vague stuff like Kanako's ability to create the sky while she goes around doing all kinds of completely unrelated stuff because she feels like it, or Reisen's ability to cause lunacy when that's just one application of her actual ability to manipulate all kinds of waves.

It's important to make your ability sound as cool as possible even if it ends up only barely related to what you actually do.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Huh, extra lives are pretty pricey in Hidden Star in Four Seasons. I may need to actually understand the game's scoring now.

Looking at the mechanics, I guess I should be saving up season points to cancel lots of bullets at once, so the point objects go up in value. Then all the point cards will be worth tons of points and Reimu can finally fund her 401(k). It's nice to have to care about score even if I just want to clear the game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
pick autumn, smash C, ram everything, dodge nothing

if you want to score with anything else then yes you'll actually have to use your noggin somewhat but you can be fraudulent with Autumn

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The bottom line is to Release when there's lots of bullets coming your way and suddenly you're swimming in lives because the multiplier is huge. It's easiest with autumn apparently but I live the winter life and I'm not having any significant scoring issues either.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Amazon shipped the english FS. Gonna get here tomorrow.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

a cartoon duck posted:

Also remember that the idea behind abilities is that they're self-reported so we get vague stuff like Kanako's ability to create the sky while she goes around doing all kinds of completely unrelated stuff because she feels like it,

To be fair this is simply due to her "creating sky" being used in a symbolic concept of Taoist thought.

Her power is more accurately called creating "Qian" which is the Heavens or Sky and symbolizes creation and leadership.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
So you’re saying Kanako is even more self-important than I thought :v:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

English FS has a couple pages of TL notes for those less acquainted with touhou

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lol

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
(Translator's note: Plan means plan)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
they could have at least spelled "yokai" properly

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I was able to pick it up on Friday because turns out physical bookstores only care if it is in stock, and honestly aside from Hiedano being messy the translation seems pretty solid from my quick glancing through. Also it doesn't at all seem to try and avoid how absurdly Japanese Touhou is, which I feel the Hiedano thing is a slightly messy attempt at carrying through on that, though I think it should have had a bit in the translators note section mentioning it (worth mentioning that it still calls the family itself the Hieda). My only real issue with it from my short time looking through is that some of the lettering for non-word bubbles is a bit too stylized to be slightly hard to read.

Also for other minor translation differences, it calls Scarlet Devil Mansion the Scarlet Devil Manor, which if you think about it is the real thing everyone should be up in arms about.

EDIT: Oh, also just like the Delicious In Dungeon volumes it has a real nice 'bookfeel' compared to other physical volumes of manga.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 22, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I honestly can't recall what I did with that footnote, which was definitely there in Japanese; I can only assume that word was more obscure. Did I delete it entirely or leave it in?

Black Mage Knight posted:

Also for other minor translation differences, it calls Scarlet Devil Mansion the Scarlet Devil Manor, which if you think about it is the real thing everyone should be up in arms about.

I've actually advocated for this before, during the FMW translation.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Black Mage Knight posted:

I was able to pick it up on Friday because turns out physical bookstores only care if it is in stock, and honestly aside from Hiedano being messy the translation seems pretty solid from my quick glancing through. Also it doesn't at all seem to try and avoid how absurdly Japanese Touhou is, which I feel the Hiedano thing is a slightly messy attempt at carrying through on that, though I think it should have had a bit in the translators note section mentioning it (worth mentioning that it still calls the family itself the Hieda). My only real issue with it from my short time looking through is that some of the lettering for non-word bubbles is a bit too stylized to be slightly hard to read.

EDIT: Oh, also just like the Delicious In Dungeon volumes it has a real nice 'bookfeel' compared to other physical volumes of manga.

just picked it up - best way to show demand is with your dollars, I think

this might be the first time I actually purchased comics/manga from B&N... I usually avoid that section like the plague

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I've actually advocated for this before, during the FMW translation.
I assume the Scarlet Devil Manor is where Frandoll lives.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I'm surprised to see that Swedish book stores are carrying Forbidden Scrollery. Ordered.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The White Jade Belvedere

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

a cartoon duck posted:

The White Jade Belvedere

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

a cartoon duck posted:

The White Jade Belvedere

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
A belvedere is that character archetype where half the time you're nice and half the time you're a tower, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Actually it was named that for the intense love of the sitcom Mr. Belvedere by everyone on the team.