Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melissa's shoulder pads look a bit silly sometimes but otherwise I do agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I really like that Superman outfit.

If JL gets a sub 100 million opening weekend somebody's getting fired. Like, immediately. Especially considering that the typical drop from week one to week two for badly-reviewed DC movies is like 65+%, that means JL will probably not make its budget back domestically. And by a lot, like, 50 million-plus a lot.

They already did the reshuffling after most of this film was made, the people that would be fired basically already have been.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing I really find weird and don't like about the CW Superman suit are the small gold accents around the shield. They just look more like a design mistake instead of something intentional.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've never been a fan of capes that connect with or come close to the shield (instead of tucking into the neckline), but those are some pretty decent costumes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've never been a fan of capes that connect with or come close to the shield (instead of tucking into the neckline), but those are some pretty decent costumes.

I just like the design element they cribbed from here.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Red Letter Media have their review up and enjoy a poo poo movie being a poo poo movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1s5ElKmQm4

Also it never dawned on me that Justice League is the exact same villain plot as MoS. :laffo:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
As much as i don’t like Mos they loving nailed the suit,and cavill looks great as superman he’s just not given enough to do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

The only thing I really find weird and don't like about the CW Superman suit are the small gold accents around the shield. They just look more like a design mistake instead of something intentional.

I agree, it looks like someone didn't cut the backing quite to shape and they didn't notice until after putting it all together.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Just got out of JL. Overall ... ok I guess. Some good, some bad. Better than BvS.

Favorite moment: a cliche moment, but Aquaman lasso speech

Least favorite moment: Lois being “thirsty”. gently caress that joke so much

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cael posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot about that joke. And that scene because it was just a poorly lit, poorly composed, poorly shot, and poorly conceived scene that you mentioning it now is the only reason I remembered it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cael posted:

Just got out of JL. Overall ... ok I guess. Some good, some bad. Better than BvS.

Favorite moment: a cliche moment, but Aquaman lasso speech

It has a few story beats from the New 52 JL comic, like that, though it was Hal rather than Arthur that does it.

That reminds me I was glad there was a Green Lantern in the movie, if at all briefly. And it looked really good.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I just realized that BvS and Justice League would both have been greatly improved if Lex Luthor had had a jar of Granny Goodness' Peach Tea instead

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

It has a few story beats from the New 52 JL comic, like that, though it was Hal rather than Arthur that does it.

That reminds me I was glad there was a Green Lantern in the movie, if at all briefly. And it looked really good.

Is it any named GL or just some unspecified Lantern?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sounds like they have about 3 hours of cut origin stuff for the new characters.
I'll skip the ultimate edition and just pray someone uploads everything with Willem Dafoe in it to Youtube.

They're trying to make a thing out of the lips, but was anyone else not bothered at all?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 19, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Justice League is good and Superman Returns is ten times better than Man of Steel

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kate Bosworth disproves that statement.

She's just awful.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unmature posted:

Justice League is good and Superman Returns is ten times better than Man of Steel

Supergirl The Movie is better than any of them. How's that hot take?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'll skip the ultimate edition and just pray someone uploads everything with Willem Dafoe in it to Youtube.

They're trying to make a thing out of the lips, but was anyone else not bothered at all?

The problem is because I knew about it, in every scene with him talking it was all I could look at. But truthfully I didn't really notice it except maybe once or twice.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Kate Bosworth disproves that statement.

She's just awful.

Kate Bosworth was third best Lois behind Teri Hatcher and TAS Lois. Why they couldn't ever find a decent brunette for Lois will always baffle me.

Also I have horrible taste because I absolutely HATED Margot Kidder. She always looked to be perpetually fifty and could have passed for Chris Reeves mom or auntie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Like most things TAS, the Dana Delany Lois really is the definitive version.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like Kate Bosworth, but she was all wrong for Lois.

And count me in on not liking Margot Kidder. And yeah, it was like Superman was hitting on someone's 50 year old aunt who smoked and didn't have really any redeeming qualities.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 19, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Man of Steel is easily the worst Superman movie, even compared to the mythical Nic Cage version

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

I like Kate Bosworth, but she was all wrong for Lois.

And count me in on not liking Margot Robbie. And yeah, it was like Superman was hitting on someone's 50 year old aunt who smoked and didn't have really any redeeming qualities.

You're mixing up your Margots.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

You're mixing up your Margots.

Oh poo poo, thanks. Yes. Margot Robbie I can see any Superman wanting to hit on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I gotta give Kidder props for going through with that sillyass poem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOJtLC2pRII&t=187s

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

There's genuine spark though between Kidder and Reeve, something they've had trouble catching again in the big-screen films.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Jiro posted:

Kate Bosworth was third best Lois behind Teri Hatcher and TAS Lois. Why they couldn't ever find a decent brunette for Lois will always baffle me.

Also I have horrible taste because I absolutely HATED Margot Kidder. She always looked to be perpetually fifty and could have passed for Chris Reeves mom or auntie.

The best Lois was Erica Durance, despite being saddled with a Superman actor who ranks in at “DNF and had to be CGIed into the suit.”

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Like most things TAS, the Dana Delany Lois really is the definitive version.

It's amazing how much better those animated series handled the concept of Batman vs. Superman and the formation of the Justice League.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

Man of Steel is easily the worst Superman movie, even compared to the mythical Nic Cage version

For all that the giant spider is the most infamous thing about Superman Lives, I think the funniest is Jon Peters suggesting that Sean Penn should play Superman because he had "the eyes of a loving killer" which is apparently the quality you want for Superman.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think if you're discussing best version of X character, like Lois, you kind of have to eliminate the animated version. Animated version always has the advantage of looking perfect, and the actor if the animated version has the advantage of not having to do a physical performance. It's a stacked deck.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think if you're discussing best version of X character, like Lois, you kind of have to eliminate the animated version. Animated version always has the advantage of looking perfect, and the actor if the animated version has the advantage of not having to do a physical performance. It's a stacked deck.

No? A human being still had to design that character and animate it, there's still a huge amount of work shared between the designers, animators, scriptwriters, directors, and the voice actress. It's not like someone sits down at a table and just draws and the timeless perfect ideal of the character appears. Roger Rabbit wasn't a documentary, cartoons don't just show up and start acting.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wonder if we'll actually get that, Whedon has a pretty hard stance against extended editions.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Justice Leagie opens with 96 million, who would have thought that JL would open that low.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 146 million
Thor Ragnarok 122 million
Spiderman Homecoming 117 million
Wonder Woman 103 million (great legs, biggest total gross of all superhero movies this year at 412 million)

Batman vs Superman opened at 166 million and Suicide Squad at 133 million.

https://twitter.com/BORReport/statu...263456874491905

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

For all that the giant spider is the most infamous thing about Superman Lives, I think the funniest is Jon Peters suggesting that Sean Penn should play Superman because he had "the eyes of a loving killer" which is apparently the quality you want for Superman.

The doc makes the movie actually, not terrible, at least for super hero movies at the time. Though Jon Peters just seems way out there, though the giant spider from him and the production shots actually look like it would be pretty cool. Of course everyone is going to go with Smiths version because in every story he tells everyone else is the biggest dumbass.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Of course everyone is going to go with Smiths version because in every story he tells everyone else is the biggest dumbass.

There's one other story he had about being on the set of Batman & Robin on its first day of shooting and reacting with horror and disgust when Joel Schumacher announced, "Remember, people - this is a cartoon!" Just comes off a bit like all those people who get bent out of shape over Teen Titans Go! to me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's one other story he had about being on the set of Batman & Robin on its first day of shooting and reacting with horror and disgust when Joel Schumacher announced, "Remember, people - this is a cartoon!" Just comes off a bit like all those people who get bent out of shape over Teen Titans Go! to me.

All I know about TTG is that is seems to be 90% of CN's programming now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

twistedmentat posted:

All I know about TTG is that is seems to be 90% of CN's programming now.

Yeah, nobody else really knows why that is, either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if it still is but for a while it was their highest rated show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So heads are rolling at WB right now, I assume

• Locked thread