Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

oohhboy posted:

Aren't those hats originally British? I have seen them since forever with Hong Kong police women.

our lady cops wear these things which look similar

just more rounded and bowler hattish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's a fairly common style of hat for women's uniforms.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

big time bisexual posted:

I actually would like to know how this style came about to be the default cheng wu yuan uniform. It's like a pork pie hat with 3/4ths of the brim flipped up

Woe unto those who cross the ministry of silly hats

Are you trying to attract the Lecher Rene Chang to this thread?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Serephina posted:

Also how on earth do both those charts have assumptions that the populations/birth rate will stabilize and not grow?

Because historically that's what happened in every country which made the jump from poor peasant majority to white collar majority.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mistle posted:

JeffGoldblumNatureFindsAWay.tiff

In all likelihood the populations will hit a figurative wall where going beyond those numbers will result in the survivability rate tanking. You can really only cram so many people into one square block without having fatally lovely conditions.

Also, if China really does make technological/economic advancements like those in major developed countries, it will naturally see a decline in birth rates. It's a phenomenon with developed places and adults not wanting to put their procreation into turbospeed, something about farmhands, or just being greedy enough to want disposable income.

Jeoh posted:

Because historically that's what happened in every country which made the jump from poor peasant majority to white collar majority.

Not doubting you guys, but do we have any links on it? It goes contrary to everything I've seen about populations rising (barring a few notable exceptions) as a layman. China alone has toooons of space it can sprawl into!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it happens in litetally every first world country, go google aging population or something idk

Australia has it and we have the population of Tokyo spread across a a country almost as big as America

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Serephina posted:

Not doubting you guys, but do we have any links on it? It goes contrary to everything I've seen about populations rising (barring a few notable exceptions) as a layman. China alone has toooons of space it can sprawl into!

China has "space" but most of it isn't good. I think they've already used up most of their arable land (which is almost all on the east coast) and when climate change wrecks the coast they will have even less good space

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

angel opportunity posted:

China has "space" but most of it isn't good. I think they've already used up most of their arable land (which is almost all on the east coast) and when climate change wrecks the coast they will have even less good space

They haven't just "used up" their arable land, they've made it so toxic that it will likely make that population diagram above increasingly downsy as various cumulative heavy metal exposures add up. Perhaps more accurately, it will at the very least become increasingly -unviable- for agriculture as time goes on, both from direct pollution as well as loss of water (in irrigated areas) and land to cities.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Mystery of the stupid hat solved. They're nearly the same as the ones from the 1990-2005 ANA uniform

etalian posted:

Are you trying to attract the Lecher Rene Chang to this thread?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Fasdar posted:

They haven't just "used up" their arable land, they've made it so toxic that it will likely make that population diagram above increasingly downsy as various cumulative heavy metal exposures add up. Perhaps more accurately, it will at the very least become increasingly -unviable- for agriculture as time goes on, both from direct pollution as well as loss of water (in irrigated areas) and land to cities.

Which leads to concern about what they'll do if their economy collapses and they're unable to import enough foopffftha, who am I kidding, they're already annexing everything they can.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

WarpedNaba posted:

Which leads to concern about what they'll do if their economy collapses and they're unable to import enough foopffftha, who am I kidding, they're already annexing everything they can.

They will chabuduo their military and any wars just like literally everything else?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Didn't their peace keeping unit in some African country get their asses handed to them by some local militia?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They handed their own rear end to them by running the gently caress away at the first sign of trouble. They didn’t even see each other and they left an entire base worth of supplies to the attackers who arrived hours later.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

big time bisexual posted:

Mystery of the stupid hat solved. They're nearly the same as the ones from the 1990-2005 ANA uniform

OMG, those are all so bad. That square beret thing is bad, but the yellow paddington bear hat is hilarious. We just need one in a kippah to make the stupid hat line complete.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
fun fact: ANA goes to great lengths to ensure that their Flight Attendant uniforms don't end up being sold to flight attendant uniform fetishists.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

fun fact: ANA goes to great lengths to ensure that their Flight Attendant uniforms don't end up being sold to flight attendant uniform fetishists.

By making the uniforms gently caress-ugly?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bajaj posted:

OMG, those are all so bad. That square beret thing is bad, but the yellow paddington bear hat is hilarious. We just need one in a kippah to make the stupid hat line complete.

I like the pinstripe one, like a mafia stewardess....

there was a brief period where the trend of hairbands with tiny hats on them was popular, and they made me so angry every time I saw a girl wearing them. I had a friend who had been on project runway, and she hated them too, and would snatch them off girls' heads when she got drunk and surly..

then a few years later was the trend of walking around with a big pink curler on your bangs

asia has some dipshit fashion trends is what I'm saying

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hailthefish posted:

JAL and other airlines take missing uniforms seriously. Every JAL uniform is reported to have a serial number sewn into it. The airline also has a staff dedicated to tracking the location of each article of clothing.

"Japan Airlines worldwide policy for the distribution, usage and collection of its uniforms is extremely strict, and each company-owned article is logged and accounted for," Anderson said. "Old or worn uniforms are also returned to the company and properly destroyed."

The airline would not say whether it had plans to insert computer chips into its uniforms to electronically track them, as ANA does.

"Japan Airlines clearly isn't skirting this issue," said Jeff Pecor, of travel site Yapta.com. "Let's just hope it doesn't wear them out. After all, they have an airline to keep buttoned up."

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

"Japan Airlines clearly isn't skirting this issue," said Jeff Pecor, of travel site Yapta.com. "Let's just hope it doesn't wear them out. After all, they have an airline to keep buttoned up."

Smithers, have this man killed.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hailthefish posted:

It's the thought that counts.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/tech/2017-11/10/content_34362656.htm

quote:

Chinese robot becomes world's first machine to pass medical exam

A robot has passed the written test of China's national medical licensing examination, an essential entrance exam for doctors, making it the first robot in the world to pass such an exam.
LMAO, a computer can pass an exam that is based entirely on rote memorization. How is this even possible!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

sugoi ne

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Bajaj posted:

LMAO, a computer can pass an exam that is based entirely on rote memorization. How is this even possible!!

Thought it was a physical from that headline... like ofc it doesn't have high blood pressure, it has no blood!

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Bajaj posted:

I’m more surprised that there is an exam one can theoretically fail to be licensed for prescribing tiger dick pills and hot water.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Serephina posted:

The population will keep rising, the rate of growth will not.

Literally every country before modernization had birth rates at like 7 babies per woman. Half the kids would die from medical bullshit, and a bunch of the mothers would too. The birth rate has to exceed the death rate obvs.

In countries with modern (1950-equivalent) medicine/food infrastructure, children don't die from colds, starve in the winter, or kill their moms by getting stuck in the birth canal. There's usually a generation or so of families that still poo poo out 7 kids because they're just doing what they expected was necessary.

But countries that maintain modern medical and agricultural infrastructure require a more educated population, a more advanced economy, urbanisation, and working women etc., everybody quickly and collectively decides that having a billion children isn't possible.

But they'll still have children, and since there are much more young people than old people, the population grows from the newest, biggest generation for a while. When the pyramid equalizes and the boomer population starts dying of old age, then the population shrinks, and that takes like 70 years.

Literally no country ever has modernized and kept up a stupid-high birthrate. Huge government initiatives have been tried all over the place because capitalism can't handle negative growth of consumption, they tick birthrates up by 0.35 babies per woman tops. The only way to get them back up is to ruin the country with a loving war, or ghettoize people like in Gaza or America.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://www.thatsmags.com/china/post/21436/magic-the-gathering-gets-an-outrageous-china-makeover

lmao

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Hammer of Dawn. Lmao.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I’m more surprised that there is an exam one can theoretically fail to be licensed for prescribing tiger dick pills and hot water.
Yep, and they standardized it into a very basic course that one can do online from home or in their spare time. You buy a book off Taobao and use the website software to help you rote memorize, then you go sit for the exam after paying the fee. This is especially true of TCM, but also for other medical categories. This is one of the many, many, many reasons why I always told people in China that if I got super sick or had something important that needed to be done (while I was in China), I'd be on the first flight out of there to one of the Western-standard hospitals near the US embassies in India.

"Combine with Car and Job cards to gain Mediocre Chinese Woman item." :lol:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

<triggered>

Last apartment in China that I lived in had a "cleaning auntie" that would slosh around rancid water and stink up the entire apartment. After two weeks (she cleaned every Monday morning around 10:00am) I asked the school to tell her to stop coming. I bleached and scrubbed the white tile floor in the bathroom when I moved in until it was perfectly pristine. The first time she "cleaned the apartment" all of the grout instantly went greenish-grey and the whole place smelled like stale gutter water and gym socks. I explained to the school the problem, and they told her not to clean the apartment again.

Naturally she took offence to that, and lost much face, so she ignored them and cleaned my apartment again (probably with that same bucket of nasty-rear end water that might have been in her family for generations. The water was so bad that I would not hesitate to believe that it cleaned the piss covered floors of a Ming-Dynasty home). I called a rep from the school in and showed her a before picture of the bathroom and she personally talked to the cleaning auntie and told her to not enter my apartment again. It sort of turned out for the better, because I convinced the school to let me repaint the place, and they gave me 2k RMB (I think, it's been a while) and expected me to just get someone to paint it for me. I used that money, repainted all of the walls, replaced the light fixtures, the trim, and even the light switches. When the rep came back and saw what I did, she invited a whole bunch of the admin people to take a look as well. They couldn't believe that I bought paint, trim, fixtures, and a fine-toothed hand saw and a mitre box and did it all over the weekend. I asked them for another 2k rmb to redo all of the laminate flooring (which was on the way out) but they were afraid that all of the other teachers would want to have their places renovated as well, and that was not in the budget.

The cleaning auntie managed to sneak in when one of the admin groups came to check out the place, and she lost even more face, because I was showing them before pictures of the place, and her "maintenance" and "upkeep" was laughably bad, and the place originally looked like a present day apartment in Pripyat. A few weeks later, I noticed some things were slightly out of place, and set up a web cam to see what was happening while I was gone. Naturally it was the cleaning auntie just poking around in every cupboard, drawer, box, bag and suitcase in the apartment. It was at this point that I started changing the insert deadbolt lock on the apartment door every week or two.

Cleaning Auntie had a key to the apartment, and was not going to give it up, the school was not going to tell her to stop going into my apartment, because it was sort of her job, and telling her to stop snooping around would cause massive face loss. Instead I went down the street to a locksmith and bought a handful of new lock inserts for my door. I'd put a new one in, then the auntie after a week or so would complain that the lock in my door was broken. A rep from the school would come over, watch her try and open the door with no luck, then I would show them that my key worked. They would take my key, get a copy made (a the same locksmith down the street), then give it back. That night I would swap the lock with another (literally took less than 2 minutes), and the process would start all over again. Each one of those deadbolt inserts cost about 3-5RMB, so it was just a few bucks to watch cleaning auntie losing her poo poo for a few months (well worth the money).

The week before I moved out I gave one of my extra keys to a co-worker and told him and his wife to go to my apartment and take whatever they wanted that I was obviously not going to take home (sheets, towels, pots, pans, a humidifier, cleaning implements, cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, a toaster, area rugs, etc.) What I forgot to do was switch the lock for the last time, and the night that I moved out, the cleaning auntie came in and ransacked the apartment, and then "cleaned it". The next morning my coworkers showed up to get the stuff that I had left for them and found the entire place empty. They also noticed that cleaning auntie had mopped, because there were greenish-grey marks and splashes all along the pristine white trim I installed, and they could see it splashed up the walls very easily because I had pained them "Corn Silk" yellow. They talked to the school about what happened, and how most of that stuff was theirs, and I had just borrowed it (told them to say that to escalate the situation), but the cleaning auntie just denied taking anything.

A few months later a new teacher moved into that apartment and I heard through my co-workers that it had been all but destroyed. I guess cleaning auntie moved in there after I left (she lived in the vacant apartments in the building) and it was pretty much back to normal with the paint peeling, everything covered in grease and oil, stains everywhere, and the laminate flooring curling up like fallen leaves because she would mop with piss every day and they soaked it up and warped.

(kill the olds)

edit: does anyone have that list of the URLs for all of the previous China threads?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Regarding the population growth thing: anyone who tells you we have to be forced to stop breeding is an idiot. See also: literally the entire CCP. There is well documented stuff that Jim was talking about. If you want substantiated evidence, go look at the UN’s own population growth numbers. They’ve officially forecast that the 10 billionth human will never be born unless you get up into the top quintile of probabilities. Presuming something that actually makes sense the 9 billionth person will arrive in something like 2040 and then that’s that - crashing fertility rates will stop growth.

Which is great, really, since it means there is a logical limit to how many people we need to feed (and we could feed them all on the current farmland to a better standard than people eat today if folks used modern techniques), and the rest of us can keep building and trading to make lives better.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Also, reproduction is a pretty delicate process in which a lot can go wrong if everything is not as it should. If urbanization cannot lead us to full population control, there is still a chance we can pollute ourselves into infertility. I think we’ve got a very interesting case study building up in China right now, I’m curious to see how it will progress in the decades to come.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Blistex posted:

cleaning auntie story

I'm curious, in China, if someone does a bad job, is there some trick to getting things done right while avoiding the face trap? I remember something similar one of our Korea goons described, where when someone messes up you had to do this weird dance where both of you pretend the other person did no wrong. The example they gave was if a teacher catches a kid standing in a cloud of cigarette smoke, it went like:
- teacher accuses kid of smoking
- kid says "I wasn't smoking"
- teacher can't press it b/c accusing kid of lying will cause face loss
- teacher says "hmm ok, nevermind .... oh on a completely unrelated topic, you have so much potential, you could do better in school. Stay after school 2 hours for extra study the rest of this week."
- both of them know the kid just got detention, but don't have to admit it

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blistex posted:

(kill the olds)
"No officer, I have no idea how that could have happened. She must have slipped on the freshly mopped floor and fallen head first into the mop bucket full of slimy piss water. What a terrible way to go."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Han Nehi posted:

I'm curious, in China, if someone does a bad job, is there some trick to getting things done right while avoiding the face trap? I remember something similar one of our Korea goons described, where when someone messes up you had to do this weird dance where both of you pretend the other person did no wrong. The example they gave was if a teacher catches a kid standing in a cloud of cigarette smoke, it went like:
- teacher accuses kid of smoking
- kid says "I wasn't smoking"
- teacher can't press it b/c accusing kid of lying will cause face loss
- teacher says "hmm ok, nevermind .... oh on a completely unrelated topic, you have so much potential, you could do better in school. Stay after school 2 hours for extra study the rest of this week."
- both of them know the kid just got detention, but don't have to admit it

From what I have seen in China, there is no middle ground. You have two options in a scenario where someone isn't doing their job properly.

Scenario #1: The fact that they are not doing their job properly isn't too much of a deal, and they never address it because of face.

Scenario #2: The fact that they are not doing their job properly is causing the boss/company face loss, and they are told to loving do it properly or else they are fired.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/17/zimbabwe-was-mugabes-fall-a-result-of-china-flexing-its-muscle?CMP=fb_gu

Chinese Internationalism on the rise!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
nah everybody knows it was because a white girl made a tweet

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

holy lol

amazing what a bunch of racist ill-educated sexpats can do when they put their minds to it

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

The Great Autismo! posted:

holy lol

amazing what a bunch of racist ill-educated sexpats can do when they put their minds to it

I mean look at us and all we've done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

• Locked thread