Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RatHat posted:

Can you even beat the story without possession? Even if you don't count bosses.

I’m sure people thought there was no way to beat Mario 64 with 0 stars at this point in that games life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
I know the Skyrim that was just released for Switch I think has all the DLC and poo poo but is it also the version that still somehow allows you to mod despite being console based? I think there was stuff about drama surrounding paid mods, and being able to get your mods "officially recognized" and there would be a system to still patch them into the game even on console or something? But then there was other drama around that and I think they backed off or implemented it in a different way or something? They had Steam Workshop but were also going to implement their own "Bethesda Workshop" for like third party content or something? I never had all the details but is anything like that a real thing?

I kinda wanna get it, because I actually never had a good enough computer to run it and ended up running it on my old 2008 era desktop that I built to play Oblivion (Skyrim still ran on it since it's the same engine, but I only could play it on ultra low settings with .ini tweaks at like 15-20 frames a second) but the mods thing is almost a dealbreaker for me. I'm like 50/50 on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No mods

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
switch version is gonna still be better than any version at 15-20fps, yikes that's rough

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

but one master sword

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
https://twitter.com/Web_Kraken/status/932012592020590593

:thunk:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I've got my son a Switch and the new Mario game for xmas, which is also his birthday - he will be 8 and loves all things Nintendo / fun times in general.
I am going to get Mario Kart and the Rabbids thingy, I think Zelda won't be for him so am I missing anything else that is essential? Christmas is depending on you goons.

Overcooked (eshop only) is great for multiplayer. Get 4 people and it immediately turns into everyone laughing as they yell over each other.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can you use gyro aiming in Skyrim? That alone would make it the best version.

It has gyro aiming but only while you're holding a projectile spell or have an arrow drawn.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have like NO time right now, but my Marseille mCable just showed up and I wanted to see a before and after. Not sure how well this quick bit of photos shows off the difference, but it's noticeable.

150 bucks noticeable? Each person will have to decide. I'll also test more games soon...

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
fine work on catching that non violent criminal detective phelps, causing only 27000 2017 dollars in damage to vehicles in the process

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Feenix posted:

I have like NO time right now, but my Marseille mCable just showed up and I wanted to see a before and after. Not sure how well this quick bit of photos shows off the difference, but it's noticeable.

150 bucks noticeable? Each person will have to decide. I'll also test more games soon...

For a still that seems significant but I think I'd have to see the difference in motion (acknowledging how much of a pain in the rear end that'd be to test)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I kinda see the difference but I think that $150 would be better used towards a nice sharp 2017 monitor instead to replace my decent but not excellent 22' Asus that I use when docked

but I spose that's specific to my case

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

my new dog posted:

fine work on catching that non violent criminal detective phelps, causing only 27000 2017 dollars in damage to vehicles in the process

I really liked Sleeping Dogs take on this, where it seems extremely dissonant that your undercover cop does these kinds of things and almost immediately shifts into murdering rival criminals by the dozen. And then through police reports and other codex-type stuff you learn he basically had gone off the deep end years before, kidnapping, torturing, and executing criminals in the States after his sister died. Dude is a violent psycho and they slow burn the reveal.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tender Bender posted:

I really liked Sleeping Dogs take on this, where it seems extremely dissonant that your undercover cop does these kinds of things and almost immediately shifts into murdering rival criminals by the dozen. And then through police reports and other codex-type stuff you learn he basically had gone off the deep end years before, kidnapping, torturing, and executing criminals in the States after his sister died. Dude is a violent psycho and they slow burn the reveal.

That sounds like a much better way to handle controlling a cop in a GTA-like world.

I really need to get around to playing Sleeping Dogs, goddamn.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Policenaut posted:

e: wrong thread

But hey here's some news about a new rhythm game coming to Switch next year: Musynx

That name sounds more like sinus medication than a video game

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sleeping Dogs is great on multiple levels. It's a well-executed GTA open world game, the combat isn't perfect but is a fun take on Batman combat, and it's the only video game I can think of off the top of my head that has such a fleshed out and accurate depiction of Hong Kong.

The voice acting is also great, with actual Hong Kong actors, and it's one of the few games that I've seen have people interrupt each other during conversations without doing that awkward "pause and wait for the other guy to say something" bit.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That sounds like a much better way to handle controlling a cop in a GTA-like world.

It's a great game, as 404notfound said it brings a lot of little things together very well. It is a little rough around the edges and the last act seems clearly rushed, but the story arc is solid with some great payoffs and it oozes with enough flavor to make up for it. It even beats out Vice City imo in terms of just feeling good to cruise around the city soaking in the atmosphere. The radio tunes are extremely catchy as well, I found myself getting a lot of those songs stuck in my head.

"A man who never eats pork buns is not truly a whole man!" - ancient pork bun vendor proverb

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 19, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

404notfound posted:

Sleeping Dogs is great on multiple levels. It's a well-executed GTA open world game, the combat isn't perfect but is a fun take on Batman combat, and it's the only video game I can think of off the top of my head that has such a fleshed out and accurate depiction of Hong Kong.

The voice acting is also great, with actual Hong Kong actors, and it's one of the few games that I've seen have people interrupt each other during conversations without doing that awkward "pause and wait for the other guy to say something" bit.

It’s a real shame Squenix didn’t actually make a legit sequel for it. It’s a really, really good game and is usually less than $10.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I liked how they handled it in Crackdown, where the game is set in a hosed up police state, and the police themselves even have a hit squad mechanic that works exactly the same as the gangs'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Morby posted:

It’s a real shame Squenix didn’t actually make a legit sequel for it. It’s a really, really good game and is usually less than $10.

I have it on Steam, but my PC isn't the best. I think I also have it on 360, but I haven't booted that up literally in over a year now. So... I own it twice, and still have barely played it. :negative:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ugh I want to replay it now, I never did the dlc that basically has you sent off to an island for a tournament in an extended Enter the Dragon homage.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

I have it on Steam, but my PC isn't the best. I think I also have it on 360, but I haven't booted that up literally in over a year now. So... I own it twice, and still have barely played it. :negative:

Tender Bender posted:

Ugh I want to replay it now, I never did the dlc that basically has you sent off to an island for a tournament in an extended Enter the Dragon homage.

The game is so good, just buggy as poo poo (at least on console, anyway). I have the “definitive edition” on PS4 and I can’t trigger the random open world event I need in order to get the trophy for that. The one thing keeping me from the plat, really.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Infinitum posted:

As long as we're Getting The Band Back Together, I would love to see modern versions of Space Station Silicon Valley and Body Harvest

DMA made fun games.
DMA became Rockstar North, but they seem pretty married to open world things now.

Morby posted:

An actual sequel was pitched back in 2013, but it was ultimately turned down due to Hitman and Tomb Raider having gotten all the budget money first (and due to brain-drain at the dev studio after the hell-ride SD1 went through). Triad Wars was greenlit in its place, but... well...

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Feenix posted:

Ya, interested in seeing more when you get a chance. Do you happen to have a capture device to take from HDMI directly?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Real hurthling! posted:

Several darkside rooms are just hatless rooms from other worlds. The bullet bill one is fiendishly hard sans hat but trivial with it

Is that the one with one bullet bill launcher and 3-4 rows of moving columns? I still haven't beaten that even with the hat.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Reality Winner posted:

Is that the one with one bullet bill launcher and 3-4 rows of moving columns? I still haven't beaten that even with the hat.

The worst room is the one that makes you do that scooter switch challenge but without the scooter. I’m not even sure how that’s possible. I run out of time even with constant long jumps.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The worst room is the one that makes you do that scooter switch challenge but without the scooter. I’m not even sure how that’s possible. I run out of time even with constant long jumps.

That's one of the things in the game that feels like it requires motion controls, though people have said they did it without. But the rolling + waggling makes him roll REALLY fast and that's basically how I got through it. That + going into triple jumps using the momentum from the rolling/long jump

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Macaluso posted:

That's one of the things in the game that feels like it requires motion controls, though people have said they did it without. But the rolling + waggling makes him roll REALLY fast and that's basically how I got through it. That + going into triple jumps using the momentum from the rolling/long jump

I’ll try that. I didn’t think to roll since that never seemed that useful to me except when going downhill.

What Bluetooth receivers are good for Switch? Are there any that not hang down off the port? I really want to use my AirPods while playing games.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 19, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, interested in seeing more when you get a chance. Do you happen to have a capture device to take from HDMI directly?

No. I wish. I’ll do my best with what I have, though.

I will say this from what I’ve seen... it’s noticeable and it’s an improvement. It’s not as hardcore as a “game changer” but it’s all upside and no downside aside from the price...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Its not hard. A long jump gives you arms out fast run on landing which as long as you keep moving will continue even after regular jumps for a long distance. Long jump again when it runs out and restart. Its much faster than long jumping as soon as you land

Also the first leg is doable in a roll

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 19, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reality Winner posted:

No its the one where you need to go down a gauntlet of launchers to get a key and come back. The launchers blow up the ground so theres no way back.

You wont even remember it cause the first time through you cap a bill and fly to the end and back like its nothing.

In the hatless version once you get the key the whole upper path is gone so you need to do 8 perfectly spaced long jumps in a row on tiny breakable platforms without stopping chased by a giant bill.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

No its the one where you need to go down a gauntlet of launchers to get a key and come back. The launchers blow up the ground so theres no way back.

You wont even remember it cause the first time through you cap a bill and fly to the end and back like its nothing.

In the hatless version once you get the key the whole upper path is gone so you need to do 8 perfectly spaced long jumps in a row on tiny breakable platforms without stopping chased by a giant bill.
I just drooled a little :ssj:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I guess I am six years late, but I am finally playing Skyrim on the Switch and it looks great on the small screen.

I have only used my Switch in handheld mode and it makes gaming so much more enjoyable for me because I can put it down and resume with ease. I like my PS4, but at this point I will strongly consider getting multi-platform games on the Switch. I wish I had Witcher 3, GTA V, and Shadow of the Colossus on this thing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Feenix posted:

I did some quick research trying to figure out wtf this was and the site sounded like snake oil but the example images on the gaming page were intriguing if legit, then I checked the "cinema" edition page to see how it differed from the "gaming" one, and lol...

I don't care how well it actually works, if at all. There's no way in hell I'm going to trust a product that uses that as an actual example image.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What do that even do? Upscale images to 4K?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
even the TV is blurry.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That is a terrible image. No two ways about it.

But honestly, I’m not sure how you market a product like this in still images on a simplified way. It’s a very subtle change.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the LEGO City port any good? It was one of my favorite games on Wii U but I remember load times being atrocious.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I can’t believe I bought Skyrim for a 4th time :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Droid Washington posted:

Is the LEGO City port any good? It was one of my favorite games on Wii U but I remember load times being atrocious.

It is. The load times are much better and the game runs better in general. I believe it’s also in 1080p docked.

I wish I could get into that game but I get bored a few hours in. When does it get better?

• Locked thread