Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wonder if the creepiness will work when animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Julias posted:

The early arcs of yyh are fairly dull/cliche by todays standards, yeah, and slow to start off (the manga is even slower, spending longer at the beginning with episodic tales of ghost boy). Most people's fond memories of yyh seem to cone from the Dark Tournament and Chapter Black arcs, yeah.

i ended up giving it up because i thought the fights were pretty boring and didn't look like they were going to get more interesting any time soon. the characters/drama i could see getting a lot better, but it just didn't seem like it'd be worth the time

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I def prefer Hunter x Hunter but respect to YYH, it's real cool. shoutouts to Kurama for being a formative bishonen experience. I had a YYH GBA game before I knew what the show was and iirc it was actually kinda accurate

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kuwabara was always my favorite because he was comparatively super normal so it was cool/surprising when he got to do cool poo poo.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

it's real lame that (as of where I left off) a new character is introduced every few chapters who's determined to break our couple up and lies/cheats/steals to make it happen. It got boring fast, and is a large part of why I haven't read a new chapter in months. As to trashy... well, you call Mei an introverted girl, but she's also OK with hot makeouts with her "sister." And the "playing on the yuri 'sisters' trope" is itself trashy.

It's hardly the worst offender for melodrama or trashiness, and heck, I flipped open the first volume I had next to my desk to confirm my memory of the makeouts, so I obviously liked it enough to throw down money for it, but I totally get why it has the reputation it does.

the first two girls who were introduced (drill hair vice prez, and yuzu's childhood friend) did things pretty snake-ily, but past that (which is like, v3ish?) the drama comes from more nuanced directions and there's a lot of girls who aren't doing anything wrong or otherwise essentially 'breaking rules' to keep the wheels turning. And it doesn't feel very soaplike (in my low experience with melodrama) how the protag is able to resolve most of the issues by just being a pure and straightforward girl who always wants to talk things out and befriend everyone. The plot has little internal resistance to her pluckiness.

I don't think Mei's actions preclude her introversion,, her advances early on are cold and detached and part of various attempts to keep Yuzu emotionally distant. volume 1 has a darker tone in how it handles Mei but the series springboards off of it real quick and a lot of that comes from development on her end. The two advance very quickly into 'lovers' territory and their relationship builds off of every obstacle they meet and becomes stronger for it.

and again the series is just constantly fluffy and wants to show off all the chars as inherently good natured and there's all sorts of heart-warming content in every book. i like the volume ending pages in particular

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 18, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gmq posted:

I wonder if the creepiness will work when animated.

Gyo was...ok? ish?

I'll give the anthology a try anyway.

e: maybe it was bad i dunno, it didn't really leave much of an impression despite it all

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Question:
Could Amigara Fault work animated?

Because I'd like to see it animated

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
man i should really read uzumaki huh

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

man i should really read uzumaki huh
Should've happened in the Hidden Leaf Village if the world were just.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

a kitten posted:

Gyo was...ok? ish?

I'll give the anthology a try anyway.

e: maybe it was bad i dunno, it didn't really leave much of an impression despite it all

Gyo was horrifying, but for all the wrong reasons. It definitely invokes uncomfortable feelings of horror in the viewer, so it gets points for that, but my feelings are complicated on it as a whole.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also as an adaptation, Gyo went for something pretty different than the manga, so it's kinda hard to compare the two in a traditional sense. (Though the CG in the movie was pretty bad and definitely doesn't hold up to the quality of Ito's works

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gyo was already one of his weaker works imo, they should have made a Hellstar Remina movie instead

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Julias posted:

Gyo was horrifying, but for all the wrong reasons. It definitely invokes uncomfortable feelings of horror in the viewer, so it gets points for that, but my feelings are complicated on it as a whole.

The later bits about the human body being hijacked to be turned into factories that produce an alien substance feel like a reflection of some allergic reactions I've had where it's like my body is actively trying to dehydrate itself through my nose.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It is episode 6 of Dies Irae and I still have barely a clue what is going on because it's insane.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Garo's plot is finally really kicking into gear.

If you are going to set up some kind of hosed up magician-demon kingdom, please make sure your demon scouts are well trained and will not eat your VIPs because someone has to set up your power grids.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

YYH is also good because shinbo did a bunch of work on the dark tournament arc, and its back when he did crazy stuff instead of being a template for SHAFT. i definitely prefer the characters and world of HxH but will defend everything up to the end of YYH's Black Tape arc. then you have the Togashi problem of too much material that doesn't need to exist, kind of like the overblown nature of Chimera Ants in HxH or that the series didn't just end after Gon was healed.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

dogsicle posted:

YYH is also good because shinbo did a bunch of work on the dark tournament arc, and its back when he did crazy stuff instead of being a template for SHAFT. i definitely prefer the characters and world of HxH but will defend everything up to the end of YYH's Black Tape arc. then you have the Togashi problem of too much material that doesn't need to exist, kind of like the overblown nature of Chimera Ants in HxH or that the series didn't just end after Gon was healed.

YYH is a decent but not amazing shonen until the Dark Tournament arc where it becomes really amazing. I don't like the Black Tape arc as much as DT because it is a pretty big shift tonally, almost all the comedy relief goes away and it makes the arc feel "heavy" and difficult to watch, at least for me. I disagree about the Chimera Ant arc in HxH, to me one of the coolest things in that arc is watching the Chimera Ants become more and more individual and "human" and how that really becomes their achilles heel, also the CA arc has by far the most interesting stuff as far as the development of Gon's character goes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've been meaning to revisit YYH for ages, especially since I found out that Shinbo worked on it. Maybe I'll finally start doing that over my break now that crunchy's got it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The biggest lament I have with YYH is that the Sensui arc is top to bottom so loving good but ends really terribly and the arc that follows it to close out the series is just kind of OK.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Garo's plot is finally really kicking into gear.

If you are going to set up some kind of hosed up magician-demon kingdom, please make sure your demon scouts are well trained and will not eat your VIPs because someone has to set up your power grids.

i'm really curious to see what benefit vloggers and streamers/esports competitors bring to the demon kingdom

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

YYH is also notable for having one of the better reasons for a gang of unkempt youths to enter a high stakes fighting tournament: because the scariest dude you've ever met shows up after you killed him, looking none the worse for wear, and demands you enter the competition or he'll kill you and everyone you love.

Good villains are important.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Kylra posted:

It is episode 6 of Dies Irae and I still have barely a clue what is going on because it's insane.

I've said this before, but I don't think we're supposed to. I really think that it's just meant to be "service" for the VN-readers who wanted to see all of their favorite fight scenes animated. Otherwise, we'd see more than just these brief hints at a plot in the brief pauses between the characters acting smug and the awesome fights.

That liquid nitrogen scene this week, though... if it weren't for Ousama's "hacking" scene, it'd be the dumbest thing all season (I still think it's SLIGHTLY worse than the Evil or Live ketchup scene).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well don't keep us in suspense, what's the ketchup scene? No, I am not going to watch that trash fire myself, so dish.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
protagonist beats the poo poo out of himself then pours ketchup all over his clothes to get the instructor to punish the leader of another class. (evil or live ep 6).

Like, maybe ketchup stains might look incriminating after drying out for a few days, but this was literally 15 seconds, and the instructor's response was to grab the other student by his head and smash it into the wall of the building. Also, he didn't even look at the students' hands for abrasions or other signs they might have been fighting, because our protagonist yells "I'm not going to betray sensei's expectations" at the exact moment they were all leaving their lunch meeting or something.

It's standard cartoon bullshit, but really out of place in this thing that's supposed to be some kind of grimdark seinen dystopian fiction.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

get this: evil or live is based on a true story

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
gently caress the ketchup kids

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
huh, neat

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I'm the untranslated music in the right column.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Davincie posted:

get this: evil or live is based on a true story
"...And that story's name was Metal Gear Solid."

Apparently.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_faYRTmQeZM

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
How much more will it take for Ballroom to give up its Shounen tag for Josei?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
When it no longer runs in Kodansha's Monthly Shonen Magazine and moves to somewhere like Be Love or something

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Any time the characters put on their makeup they need to be published in a different magazine.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Erg posted:

Ancient Magus Bride is going to hit the drama/supernatural angle for you. It's about a girl that's had a really lovely life slowly recovering and seeing that she's worth something and the backdrop for that journey is her learning to become a mage. It's got almost zero fights or anything like that if that's a requirement for you though.

Guy with the deer head, yeah I saw that one. Not sure if I like it, maybe too slow?

Darth Walrus posted:

There’s always Blood Blockade Battlefront, if you don’t mind something a little more light-hearted, and while I’ve fallen behind on Garo: Vanishing Line, what I watched was charmingly trashy fun. AMB is a must-watch for supernatural drama, and Land of the Lustrous has been pretty good, too, though it’s slower and more laid-back than most of the others on the list.

Blood Blockade Battlefront looks pretty interesting from the couple of minutes I've seen, will be checking that out. Land of the Lustrous has a dreamy vibe I kind of dig, but it moves really slow. Again I just watched these shows for a couple of minutes, need some time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

iospace posted:

For those of you interested in Yuki Yuna, E7 is the start of the sequel arc.

Sindai posted:

Turns out it's just a recap of the first series though, so don't bother if you remember it.

iospace posted:

Alright, and nothing new at the end like they tend to do?

Well episode 7 alone is a recap of the entire original series, so I expect episode 8 and forward to have new material. I did appreciate getting a summary of the important point, seeing it's been a few years since the first series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mike12345 posted:

Guy with the deer head, yeah I saw that one. Not sure if I like it, maybe too slow?

Blood Blockade Battlefront looks pretty interesting from the couple of minutes I've seen, will be checking that out. Land of the Lustrous has a dreamy vibe I kind of dig, but it moves really slow. Again I just watched these shows for a couple of minutes, need some time.

Rocks tend to be slow, yes. :haw:

But it's worth checking out because it's putting 3D to amazing use.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

iospace posted:

For those of you interested in Yuki Yuna, E7 is the start of the sequel arc.

Was the first half, the prequel, worth watching?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Was the first half, the prequel, worth watching?

In my opinion, yes. I didn't watch it solely because I saw the OVAs, which have the same plot. Fills in some backstory.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

• Locked thread