Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The DRV3 ending owned, I don't think I stopped laughing after the what season they were on reveal, maybe before that.

I was too autistic to enjoy that reveal since the proper way to write that would have been L3, not V3 which is just 8 :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Stein's Gate is pretty rad.

Okabe is a bit of an rear end in a top hat, sometimes in a charming "always running experiments on bananas that someone else bought and never letting them have any" way, but sometimes in a bit more skeevy anime type way. It works a bit better when they play it off as him being offput and defensive when talking to a woman who's forward with him since he's a massive awkward dork. Hasn't bothered me too much so far though and I doubt it'll be a huge focus once things kick into high gear.

Kurisu seems like she'll be pretty great and it's fun watching her poo poo all over Okabe whenever she gets an oppurtunity. I feel like we're eventually going to get into a groundhog loop trying to stop her seemingly inevitable murder judging by the fact that time travel is a thing and she saw an assumed time travel version of Okabe upset before she died. Also I'm pretty much positive she's the poster always making GBS threads on Okabe on the 2ch thing.

Suzuha is cool and I definitely can identify with already half assing your lovely job on the second day of work. It's incredibly obvious from early conversations that she's a time traveller/CERN plant/both so I hope they don't drag their feet too much on that revelation, because I wanna see where it leads.

Daru's kinda tiring and Mayushii seems to just hang around being cute and not having much agency.

The op was really neat, the production values seem absolutely top notch in general, but spacebar not advancing text and moving the mouse to the right side of the screen bringing up a pause menu are incredibly annoying feature.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
after discussing it with my team, we're so cross with Littlewitch Romanesque for not being what it should be that we decided to start working on a competitor. here's what our prototype looks like so far. we hope u like it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like the Kickstarter is ready to go.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Umineko 5-8 is out

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

astr0man posted:

Umineko 5-8 is out

i'd love to know how much, if any, was retranslated

e: oh, Ryu is apparently actually making another Umineko episode that fits at some point into Chiru. Who the gently caress knows what it'll be, because I certainly can't think any loose ends that need tying up that the manga didn't tie.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 18, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

FractalSandwich posted:

after discussing it with my team, we're so cross with Littlewitch Romanesque for not being what it should be that we decided to start working on a competitor. here's what our prototype looks like so far. we hope u like it.

I've always thought there should be more Icelandic Japanese VNs

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Beat the first route of Stein's Gate, apparently the endings are mostly decided by those email conversations you have, which is overly obscure and pretty dumb, but whatever, the story's good. Triggering a bunch of pointlessly obscure flags to get X ending has never been good and I've been lucky enough to read mostly linear vn's so far on my little vn binge.

I got Suzuha the first go around. apparently there was a choice on whether to send that d mail to erase her 4 days with the lab, but I missed that somehow. The ending felt really anticlimactic, but I liked everything leading up to it. Is it worth doing any of the other non-true ends?

I'm really not looking forward to trudging back through old content to see new endings, but I'm loving the game enough to stick with it. It definitely got me crying a few times and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the plot threads I never got to in this ending explained.

e:I also realized I missed a fair amount of flags to get the true ending, so that's gonna be an absolute slog, I've never understood why vn's are attracted to the idea of obscure missable flags seemingly designed for no purpose other than to force players to go through old content and break their immersion in the story.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 19, 2017

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'd personally say do all the routes, because I think they all have pretty satisfying endings. Also, the true ending is really good, and I think its worth saving for last.

I'd also advise just using a guide though. One of the ones that tells you where routes branch off, so you can save there and ideally repeat as little as possible.

e: yeah I guess you realised while I was posting the true end is awkward and dumb to find on your own.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think I'm gonna have to go all the way back to chapter 4 to get the necessary flags for it. I might put it off and get all the character endings first and then try and skip through the whole game from chapter 4 to get the true one, but neither option sounds very appealing. I might just watch the anime or something if I get burned out.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
You don't have to go out of your way to see any of the endings besides the true one, so you may as well replay/fast-forward from chapter 4 and see each of the endings as you come to them.

You've already seen what I thought was the best ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tweet my meat posted:

Beat the first route of Stein's Gate, apparently the endings are mostly decided by those email conversations you have, which is overly obscure and pretty dumb, but whatever, the story's good. Triggering a bunch of pointlessly obscure flags to get X ending has never been good and I've been lucky enough to read mostly linear vn's so far on my little vn binge.

I got Suzuha the first go around. apparently there was a choice on whether to send that d mail to erase her 4 days with the lab, but I missed that somehow. The ending felt really anticlimactic, but I liked everything leading up to it. Is it worth doing any of the other non-true ends?

I'm really not looking forward to trudging back through old content to see new endings, but I'm loving the game enough to stick with it. It definitely got me crying a few times and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the plot threads I never got to in this ending explained.

e:I also realized I missed a fair amount of flags to get the true ending, so that's gonna be an absolute slog, I've never understood why vn's are attracted to the idea of obscure missable flags seemingly designed for no purpose other than to force players to go through old content and break their immersion in the story.
Going through the old content is pretty easy/straightforward, since you can just make the text fastforward until unread text appears.

I'm not sure how you could've missed the Suzuha decision point, because with all non-Kurisu/Mayuri endings the game basically pauses everything and gives you a binary do this/don't do this at the end of that character's chapter. IIRC for Suzuha, Okabe comes to realization he has to stop himself from preventing Suzuha from leaving, so he all but yells out loud "Well I guess I better send a d-mail. Gotta send a d-mail to do this. Things will be OK, as long as I send a d-mail." You get the Suzuha ending if you, well, don't send the d-mail.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah I thought it would automatically send it like it had with previous dmails and never caught on that it was a decision point that I could miss. I'm pretty sure Suzuha's is the first ending you can get so it's not like I had seen the other ones.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

tweet my meat posted:

Yeah I thought it would automatically send it like it had with previous dmails and never caught on that it was a decision point that I could miss. I'm pretty sure Suzuha's is the first ending you can get so it's not like I had seen the other ones.

Just promise me you'll update the thread as you play through. Like with the Zero Escape games, watching people's reactions are the best part.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, I missed Suzuha's ending on the first go too because I didn't think it really was my (player) decision. But it was for the best honestly, because (mild spoiler) that one becomes so creepy and disturbing I think it works best to watch all other non-true endings first.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Steins;Gate is so good. As other people have said it's actually not a huge long deal to go back and skip through several chapters worth of dialogue, I unlocked every ending after my first on a long lazy rainy morning.

Totally agreed on the obscurity of getting the ending but when you actually do it it kinda makes sense as you're flirting with Kurisu and trying to build a relationship with her.

On a completely unrelated note it's been a week since I beat DRv3, the ending still owns, and I'm wondering if there's any legal way to get the soundtrack.

E: goddamn autocorrect

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

tweet my meat posted:

Stein's Gate is pretty rad.

Okabe is a bit of an rear end in a top hat, sometimes in a charming "always running experiments on bananas that someone else bought and never letting them have any" way, but sometimes in a bit more skeevy anime type way. It works a bit better when they play it off as him being offput and defensive when talking to a woman who's forward with him since he's a massive awkward dork. Hasn't bothered me too much so far though and I doubt it'll be a huge focus once things kick into high gear.

Kurisu seems like she'll be pretty great and it's fun watching her poo poo all over Okabe whenever she gets an oppurtunity. I feel like we're eventually going to get into a groundhog loop trying to stop her seemingly inevitable murder judging by the fact that time travel is a thing and she saw an assumed time travel version of Okabe upset before she died. Also I'm pretty much positive she's the poster always making GBS threads on Okabe on the 2ch thing.

Suzuha is cool and I definitely can identify with already half assing your lovely job on the second day of work. It's incredibly obvious from early conversations that she's a time traveller/CERN plant/both so I hope they don't drag their feet too much on that revelation, because I wanna see where it leads.

Daru's kinda tiring and Mayushii seems to just hang around being cute and not having much agency.

The op was really neat, the production values seem absolutely top notch in general, but spacebar not advancing text and moving the mouse to the right side of the screen bringing up a pause menu are incredibly annoying feature.

You will like all the characters by the time you complete the game, I guarantee it. Mayuri and Okabe were grating to me when I first started but after I got out of the prologue and the first chapter I really appreciated the dynamic they each created. I could also forgive the jarring introduction to the protagonist because his written development and the VA's work are really good once poo poo Gets Serious. e: actually pretty much all of the voicework is really good and well-directed

Use the 100% flowchart on the steins gate wiki, it's pretty spoiler-free while still showing you the flags clearly.

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 19, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have the day off and have finally finished Mario Odyssey, so I think I will finally get around to firing up Little Busters for a spell.

First things first, though.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Uhhh, where was that good advice before I started?

I asked you fuckers if there was anything I needed to know.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nate RFB posted:

I have the day off and have finally finished Mario Odyssey, so I think I will finally get around to firing up Little Busters for a spell.

First things first, though.

You forgot to kill the Kud volume too.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm finally playing DR V3 so I figured I'd post thoughts when I finish cases.

Spoilers for Case 1: I thought having Kaede be the 1st murderer was interesting. I kept insisting it was Miu or Shuichi until the game asked me to pick. When I realized she was the actual killer, the "how she did it" was right in my face the whole time. I'm kinda sad she's not going to be the main character as it was refreshing to have a swapped dynamic from DR 1. I haven't seen the execution yet but I'm glad I'm playing on Easy cause gently caress this new Lie mechanic. I never did like the gameplay aspects of DR. I'd be fine with it being more of a VN style but ah well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It always makes it 100% completely and utterly obvious when you need to lie to advance the trial.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sakurazuka posted:

It always makes it 100% completely and utterly obvious when you need to lie to advance the trial.

I've still never liked the mechanics. I also admit to being completely dumb as hell when the answer should be obvious in some of these.

At least the truth blade thing is MUCH better this time around.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I gotta say, I wasn't a fan of all the minigames, but the addition of lying was incredible, especially since they put those back routes in where you can lie on a non obvious thing to take an optional path.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My favorite lie in DRV3 is in chapter 2's trial where You can just agree with Himiko that her trick was real magic, because her shocked reaction is wonderful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SerCypher posted:

Are there any good fantasy VNs? Otome ones are fine as well.

I've read the past few pages of this thread, and is there any reason I haven't seen anyone mention Umineko? Because it's objectively the best visual novel and never had any sort of nudity or dating sim elements.

For perspective (and to get some idea where I'm coming from taste-wise), I would probably rank visual novels something like this: Umineko > Fata Morgana > Steins;Gate > Higurashi > (some stuff that is flawed but entertaining, like F;SN, Muv-Luv Alternative, etc)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't really consider umineko fantasy, at least not in the way they were seemingly asking

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well yeah, clearly Umineko is an Anti-Mystery.

Some might say "well acutally it's Anti-Fantasy". Hogwash! That person didn't even spell "actually" right, don't believe them!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lot of visual novels on sale today

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cake Attack posted:

I don't really consider umineko fantasy, at least not in the way they were seemingly asking

It's exactly as much fantasy as you want it to be!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone else happy how otome games are being licensed but at the same time TL/QA has gone down hill considerably since the last few years? Aksys Games still struggling to get correct names down and context made CollarxMalice a trial to play :sigh:

BAW died because it had terrible font choices:http://aksysgames.com/baw/

The less said about mobage, the better.

Alder fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 23, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Aksys is really looking bottom of the barrel these days, like they shove their games out without giving the translations even a second read.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Aksys gives their translators zero context and instructs them to translate as literally as possible, and then they hope their editors can spin that into sensible English (while paying them half as much). The results are... not good.

Bad Apple Wars is a largely okay translation that clearly had some people who cared working on it, but some scenes are still pretty bad and they even get the names wrong on several important occasions. There are also some voiced-only bits they never bothered translating.

And boy, that font. It was actually worse in the initial promo screenshots they released.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 23, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Aksys gives their translators zero context and instructs them to translate as literally as possible, and then they hope their editors can spin that into sensible English (while paying them half as much). The results are... not good.

Bad Apple Wars is a largely okay translation that clearly had some people who cared working on it, but some scenes are still pretty bad and they even get the names wrong on several important occasions. There are also some voiced-only bits they never bothered translating.

And boy, that font. It was actually worse in the initial promo screenshots they released.

source? I don't don't doubt Aksys being super lax on TL but then again I did buy some of their titles based off hype alone.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alder posted:

source? I don't don't doubt Aksys being super lax on TL but then again I did buy some of their titles based off hype alone.

I have a friend who has worked on an Aksys game (freelance, like most of Aksys' localization staff). I doubt they'll ever work with them again. There were no good stories about that place.

It's a shame. Almost every big otome release lately has been a disappointment on the localization front. Except Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome. That translation is fantastic.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I grabbed Fata Morgana from the sale.
I'm not really ready to get sucked into another great story. Couldn't resist the sale.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mangagamer being one of the better translators now is a pretty shocking twist after the original Higurashi release.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

I have a friend who has worked on an Aksys game (freelance, like most of Aksys' localization staff). I doubt they'll ever work with them again. There were no good stories about that place.

It's a shame. Almost every big otome release lately has been a disappointment on the localization front. Except Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome. That translation is fantastic.

Wasn't Hakuoki pretty good? Although I guess being the nth rerelease of that game is getting tiresome.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I only played the demo, but yeah, tons of gold there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Now I'm conflicted since I want to see more otome from Otomate but I'm not sure if I can suffer through poor TL all over again.

HGH posted:

Wasn't Hakuoki pretty good? Although I guess being the nth rerelease of that game is getting tiresome.

IIRC it was exceptionally avg and they used some weird phrasing on the characterizations which made some scenes extremely funny.

Although MG does have superior localization but they have questionable licenses too. FLML had good VA but weak comedy/scenario which made it below avg VN. Also, Japanisms where I wanted to throw the game out the window and go back to my prior hobby of gardening.