Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
GBS types have had a weird obsessive hateboner for Lena Dunham for years, if I could believe that anybody would be involved in a false accusation it's her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Search Party comes back tonight. Just enough time for you all to binge the excellent, underrated first season!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

But people love making GBS threads on Dunham so of course this would happen
Can you blame them?

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/931939449453326337

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm pretty sure Lena Dunham is a living false flag operation against women, generally.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

I'm pretty sure Lena Dunham is a living false flag operation against women, generally.

She's been a weapons grade muppet since day 1

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Her show was pretty good though, even if she's apparently a trainwreck.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it is quite odd how the show and the portrayal of her character within is something like several hundred times more self-aware than she is in real life

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's pretty reasonable to dislike Dunham at this point, after absolutely horrible poo poo like the Beckham thing. Like, there's a difference between the old "lmao she fat" and the current "she is white privilege feminism/abused her little sister/kinda seems racist" mindsets.

It's Okay To Dislike A lovely Woman. Starting with season 3, Girls really was a great show though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough about most of that but I still can’t believe that sister abuse stuff ever gained any traction lmao

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The final season is definitely going on my Top Ten list. Which, eugh, is rapidly becoming a Top Twenty.

Just this year we've had The Deuce, Patriot, Twin Peaks, Big Little Lies, The Detour, Nathan For You, Mr. Robot, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Future Man, Fortitude, The Sinner... and that's not even getting around to most of the properly genre stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Fair enough about most of that but I still can’t believe that sister abuse stuff ever gained any traction lmao

I mean, she was 7 at the time so it falls under "kids do stupid hosed up poo poo all the time" but the fact that she wrote about, then defended it, etc. is pretty crazy.

Also her sister told her she was a lesbian, and Dunham told their parents without her sister's permission. I mean, come on.

Plus I guess her sister being a lesbian makes it extra gross that Dunham used to give her candy in exchange for making out.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Like, there's a difference between the old "lmao she fat" and the current "she is white privilege feminism/abused her little sister/kinda seems racist" mindsets.

Actually they're both pretty much the same, the latter is just those same people trying to justify being gross internet dudes with a weird obsessive hateboner for a woman by Objectively Proving That She Totally Deserves It. It's like the guys who try to rationalize years of obsessive vocal anger towards Amy Schumer by calling her a plagiarist because she once told a joke about asians having narrow eyes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Except Dunham has a consistent pattern of saying stupid poo poo while trying to make herself into a high profile feminist figure and it's completely reasonable to dislike her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

Actually they're both pretty much the same, the latter is just those same people trying to justify being gross internet dudes with a weird obsessive hateboner for a woman by Objectively Proving That She Totally Deserves It. It's like the guys who try to rationalize years of obsessive vocal anger towards Amy Schumer by calling her a plagiarist because she once told a joke about asians having narrow eyes.

what about all the liberal women who call her out for being a lovely feminist

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
can we please all stop using the term "hateboner" it's dumb as hell

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

precision posted:

can we please all stop using the term "hateboner" it's dumb as hell

Yes I propose the new term 'angerstiffy'

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I prefer disaffectionerection.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hard Ennui

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey, I always like to buy my dad action-packed TV shows on DVD or Blu-Ray, so he can watch them while he walks on the treadmill. I got him into Game of Thrones (which he lost interest in after Season 2 or 3), Spartacus, Strike Back, and Prison Break, and he loved all of those.

He has seen and enjoyed Lethal Weapon, Person of Interest, Lost, Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, The Blacklist, the CW/DC shows (although he eventually gave up on them), Grimm, 24, Lucifer, Gotham (for some reason), and most of The Shield and The X-Files. A combination of good shows and "dad shows."

I'm starting to run out of shows I think he will like, so for this holiday season, I'm considering either Justified (which I loved) or Banshee (which I haven't seen, but sounds right up his alley). I also considered Fringe, which I think is superior to The X-Files while starting with the same general concept, but I know he started losing interest in Flash when it started doubling down on time travel and parallel Earths. Any thoughts? Some of you guided me to Spartacus and Strike Back in the past, which were huge hits with him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 19, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey, I always like to buy my dad action-packed TV shows on DVD or Blu-Ray, so he can watch them while he walks on the treadmill. I got him into Game of Thrones (which he lost interest in after Season 2 or 3), Spartacus, Strike Back, and Prison Break, and he loved all of those.

He has seen and enjoyed Lethal Weapon, Person of Interest, Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, The Blacklist, the CW/DC shows (although he eventually gave up on them), Grimm, 24, Lucifer, Gotham (for some reason), and most of The Shield and The X-Files. A combination of good shows and "dad shows."

I'm starting to run out of shows I think he will like, so for this holiday season, I'm considering either Justified (which I loved) or Banshee (which I haven't seen, but sounds right up his alley). I also considered Fringe, which I think is superior to The X-Files while starting with the same general concept, but I know he started losing interest in Flash when it started doubling down on time travel and parallel Earths. Any thoughts? Some of you guided me to Spartacus and Strike Back in the past, which were huge hits with him.

Go with Justified over Banshee. It's the superior show. Banshee has a ton of nudity though, so that could be a good thing for him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

He has seen and enjoyed Lethal Weapon, Person of Interest, Lost, Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, The Blacklist, the CW/DC shows (although he eventually gave up on them), Grimm, 24, Lucifer, Gotham (for some reason), and most of The Shield and The X-Files. A combination of good shows and "dad shows."

Longmire

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Definitely Banshee.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Black Sails. The Last Kingdom.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Black Sails is probably way easier to watch on a binge with the very slow first season, so that. Black Sails owns.

Maybe Chuck? Burn Notice? I wonder if Stargate SG-1 would click.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Black Sails is really good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Add another vote for Black Sails.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Do we talk about YouTube Red here? Because I’m enjoying Ryan Hansen Solves Crimes on Television* a lot more than I thought I would enjoy YouTube Red original content.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sounds like Blindspot would be up his street

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was gonna suggest Blindspot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Lethal Weapon TV series any good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is the Lethal Weapon TV series any good?

Surprisingly so, yeah.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yeah, Lethal Weapon is great. Even my wife loves it. At this point, I like Clayne Crawford and Damon Wayans more than Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, plus Thomas Lennon plays Leo Getz!

My dad also loves Blindspot and Burn Notice, I forgot to mention those two. But thanks for all the suggestions so far. I've never seen Black Sails, so I'm just not sure about that one for him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never had a huge attachment to the movies but I liked them pretty well, and yeah I also prefer Wayans and Crawford in the roles. They are great together and the show is just really well done. Crawford especially is really putting in a good comedic and dramatic performance and I love seeing him get a bigger stage to shine on after really impressing on Rectify. His hair on the show is a character of its own at this point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about Sons of Anarchy? Dads love that show. There's also Punisher on Netflix.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sons of Anarchy is a gross and bad show.

I know because I watched the entire thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Joke's on you. I bailed on it and I still know that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

What about Sons of Anarchy? Dads love that show. There's also Punisher on Netflix.

He borrowed my Netflix account to watch Daredevil and loved it, so he'll do the same with Punisher eventually, but he has to watch it on his laptop, not while he's on the treadmill.

And I haven't seen Sons of Anarchy, but I know he won't like it. He can only root for "bad guys" to an extent -- if they're articulate and cool and the lesser evil, like on The Blacklist, or if they're "not so bad" bad guys, up against morally ambiguous good guys or seeking redemption, like on Prison Break. He's never been into mob stuff and was eventually repulsed by The Sopranos and quit it early on, and has never had any interest in Breaking Bad. A rapey biker gang isn't going to do anything for him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You could probably buy him a chromecast or firestick and just let him use your Netflix account all the time (assuming "on the treadmill" means watching a TV with a free HDMI port). It would probably be cheaper than any DVDs you could buy and have way more content.

Assuming you can teach him how to cast because I've had mixed results in that department. But a Fire Stick basically gets around that and has its own remote.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tambor is out. He has quit Transparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Figured out what Future Man reminds me of: Chuck. Which is a show I haven't thought of in forever.

• Locked thread