Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the worst thing about trump and the alt right is you can't make ironic hitler jokes anymore.

For real. I grew a pretty good ironic Charlie Chaplain mustache a couple years ago for Mustache March and can never do it again.

But I can wear that shirt from da share z0ne where a skeleton kicks a swastika apart so I'd say it evens out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Accretionist posted:

We need some kind of solution to the Alt-Right.

The kind of solution after which additional solutions will not be required.

OH, WORD?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Hello from the past! Just in case you weren't already aware or didn't already suspect, we love scraping the internet and archiving your posts. Sometimes we gently caress up, though.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/357465/pentagon-accidentally-exposes-web-monitoring-operation

quote:

The Department of Defense accidentally exposed an intelligence-gathering operation, thanks to an online storage misconfiguration.

DOD was reportedly collecting billions of public internet posts from social media, news sites, and web forums and storing them on Amazon S3repositories. But it neglected to make those storage servers private. So anyone with a free Amazon AWSaccount could browse and download the data, according to Chris Vickery, a security researcher at UpGuard.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Isn't SA archived to the library of congress or something already?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1n8F4uClUU

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If so, it's definitely not because SA was deemed to be "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

please when you germans tried to find a solution to our problems you guys utterly failed.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Yeah, one of the people behind the push to get that done was the person who introduced me to SA.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/932030287818584064

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CommieGIR posted:

Net Neutrality is gonna be dead by Thanksgiving and Comcast is asking Pai to pre-empt and state Net Neutrality pushes

Yep...and it's gonna suck poo poo too.

The only silver lining is that in theory, Congress or a future chairman can easily reverse this poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Someone like California, Virginia, or New York passing state-level net neutrality laws would gently caress up their day.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 19, 2017

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Fortunately the Republican party loves states rights and would be ok with that! Right?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
FCC undoes net neutrality

[insert state] applies state law net neutrality

FCC sues state

state wins

FCC appeals

SCOTUS rules 5-4 against

welcome to your dark future

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Weren’t telecom companies looking for a way to stop states from enforcing net neutrality?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Vasudus posted:

FCC sues state

state wins

FCC appeals

SCOTUS rules 5-4 against

Come on. I'm sure our wise SCOTUS judges will understand the impacts this would have on how smaller businesses and consumers use the internet.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, they're asking the pro-business head of the FCC to block it. Commerce clause, bitches.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
gonna archive ya'll's posts

because i wont be able to see them in the near future without mega platinum internet w/ websites for workgroups plus

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

Weren’t telecom companies looking for a way to stop states from enforcing net neutrality?

Yes. Comcast also recently blew a fuckload of money on insane propaganda ads in Colorado in an attempt to kill campaigns for municipal broadband. For the most part, they failed.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

psydude posted:

Someone like California, Virginia, or New York passing state-level net neutrality laws would gently caress up their day.

Except thanks to the interstate commerce clause the supreme court would easily overturn it. States are generally not allowed to regulate interstate business in that manner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerce_Clause

Vasudus posted:

FCC sues state

state wins

FCC appeals

SCOTUS rules 5-4 against

Close. Except it wouldn't be the FCC sueing the state, it would be the telecom companies and they have a very good chance of winning.

Poppyseed Poundcake fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 19, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Except thanks to the interstate commerce clause the supreme court would easily overturn it. States are not allowed to regulate interstate business.

They absolutely are, but the Feds can also regulate it, and their rules supersede state rules where the two conflict. A small but significant difference.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

re net neutrality dying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6lohKcDmQ

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How would interstate commerce apply? Bussiness have to operate by laws in states in which they operate right? Amazon has to operate by the laws of... Oregon?/California? Etc?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KildarX posted:

How would interstate commerce apply? Bussiness have to operate by laws in states in which they operate right? Amazon has to operate by the laws of... Oregon?/California? Etc?

if that was true every state would declare it's hq to be in Florida where they don't actually have to pay you on any schedule. just eventually

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

:wom:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

if that was true every state would declare it's hq to be in Florida where they don't actually have to pay you on any schedule. just eventually

I meant Amazon's physicial distribution centers/data centers/etc which are based in those areas plus Texas I think. Comcast operates physicial Telecom utilities in every state they do bussiness, so why wouldn't they be restricted to the laws of where they have physicial property?

Edit: just because a bussiness incorporates in say Texas doesn't mean they could skirt local minimum wage laws with employees they have based in say Massachusetts?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 19, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:stonk:

CBC.ca posted:

"

University denies it failed to protect staff in case involving alleged diaper fetish

'They didn't ask the right questions. They didn't put into place any warning signs'

Yvette Brend · CBC NewsNovember 14, 2017

'We take the safety and well-being of our students, faculty and staff very seriously. We are confident that we have measures in place to ensure the safety of our campuses, and policies and procedures to support our community,' said Vancouver Island University in a statement. (VIU)

3.6k shares

Vancouver Island University is at the centre of a human rights complaint alleging that female staff were not protected from a student who brought a diaper-related sexual fetish to the B.C. school.

A 105-page complaint filed by the Nanaimo school's former director, Human Rights and Respectful Workplace, Katrin Roth, said the man's behaviour was treated as a disability when it should have been dealt with as a potential threat to female staff.

"He will not stop unless we make him," said Roth.

"I truly believe that he needs to be medically assessed as to whether he's a risk to the community."

CBC is not identifying the man who was involved in the complaint. He responded to a request for comment saying he was unable to speak about the matter for legal reasons.

"I will say I am special needs and 3, so I am not in my 40s," he wrote to CBC.

"Like the university I do not agree with Ms. Roth's characterization of events," he wrote.

"I would like it though if one of these news stories didn't mention about something sexual in them, because it's not for me."

Demanded children's books

The student in his 40s asked to be treated as an infant, demanding children's books be read to him, speaking in a baby voice, wearing a soother, and even submitting a selfie of himself in a diaper to one instructor, said Roth. She believes that as soon as the university knew the student had what it terms an "atypical sexual drive that he may impose on non-consenting individuals" staff needed warning.

VIU staff refused to speak about the specifics of the case which spanned two years between 2015 and 2017 citing privacy concerns, but did release a statement saying that the university used an external investigator and took appropriate action "to protect the safety and well-being of our campus community."

"We take the safety and well-being of our students, faculty and staff very seriously. We are confident that we have measures in place to ensure the safety of our campuses, and policies and procedures to support our community."

The student threatened to complain to the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal on the ground that he was being discriminated against for his "exceptionality." (CBC)

"While the University acknowledges the right of individuals to raise issues of concern to them, we do not agree with Ms. Roth's characterization of the events."

VIU said due to privacy laws it cannot divulge all of the complexities of how the case was handled.

"VIU will continue to foster a caring and respectful community to ensure a high-quality teaching, learning and working environment."

Separate complaint

But Roth believes the student had presented himself to at least three other staff members demanding inappropriate treatment.

The former Alberta crown prosecutor is amending the original complaint that she said was deemed too broad — and has filed a second separate complaint after losing her job in 2017.

She said she became concerned after a man who said he needed to wear diapers due to a disability complained to her office. Over the years she said the student threatened to file Human Rights Complaints if his special needs were not considered, including his desire to be handled by female staff only.

In the document she said he presented himself to female staff at different campuses — in several cases asking them to change his soiled diapers. Eventually he came to Roth complaining of discrimination.

"He's unfortunately obsessed with the fecal matter," said Roth.

As she investigated his complaint she pushed for a sexual violence risk assessment — as the man who came to her claiming a disability seemed to have a sexual fetish he was subjecting others to, the document reveals.

"VIU didn't put into place any warning signs," said the former VIU staff member who believes the complaints were not taken seriously, or shared to protect others.

"The women all thought they were the only one. They all thought maybe he's a little bit strange."

Curious George outfit

English professor and chair of VIU's women's studies program Janis Ledwell-Hunt describes the man who was her student in spring of 2015 as somebody who left her fearful.

He was one of only a handful of in-person students in the small intensive course. But his "odd" and incessant emails disturbed her, the document says.

Then he handed in an essay with a selfie of himself in a diaper with a baby bottle and a soiled diaper. When she refused to accept it he became belligerent and she turned to VIU authorities for protection, says the complaint.

"He'd show up in a Curious George outfit with a soother around his neck," said Ledwell-Hunt.

"He was involving me into his fantasy life. Into his fantasy play."

After the student was finally asked to leave her class in late May — after she raised numerous concerns — he then threatened to take his case to the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal because he was being discriminated against for his "exceptionality," according to documents filed with the tribunal.

Ledwell-Hunt believes he's no longer a student, but says he never stopped sending her messages — as recently as this month — at first complaining she wasn't sensitive to his "special needs" then saying he forgave her for "tattling" on him.

"He did pose a threat to me and other women — and I was told he was harmless," she said.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

KildarX posted:

I meant Amazon's physicial distribution centers/data centers/etc which are based in those areas plus Texas I think. Comcast operates physicial Telecom utilities in every state they do bussiness, so why wouldn't they be restricted to the laws of where they have physicial property?

Edit: just because a bussiness incorporates in say Texas doesn't mean they could skirt local minimum wage laws with employees they have based in say Massachusetts?

Federal government law trumps state law in matters relating to interstate commerce. Just what constitutes interstate commerce is a contentious constitutional question. On the whole case law has steadily expanded the definition of interstate commerce to include things that seemingly have no direct relation but could have an aggregate impact on interstate economics if enough people are involved. It's not particularly controversial that a national telecommunications infrastructure falls under interstate commerce.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Glad I'm not Canadian and my disability is treated with respect.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Cant believe I have to worry about nukes again in my life, and not because of any external threat to the USA, but instead by the most retarded president in US history, and probably way the gently caress up there in the entirety of history lmao.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

Federal government law trumps state law in matters relating to interstate commerce. Just what constitutes interstate commerce is a contentious constitutional question. On the whole case law has steadily expanded the definition of interstate commerce to include things that seemingly have no direct relation but could have an aggregate impact on interstate economics if enough people are involved. It's not particularly controversial that a national telecommunications infrastructure falls under interstate commerce.

Yeah the state of commerce clause jurisprudence since ww2 is such that every time you beat off you're having a legislatable effect on the nationwide handjob market.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
edit: putting this in the idiot thread

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Except thanks to the interstate commerce clause the supreme court would easily overturn it. States are generally not allowed to regulate interstate business in that manner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerce_Clause

Close. Except it wouldn't be the FCC sueing the state, it would be the telecom companies and they have a very good chance of winning.

That's why I only picked states that have the majority of the country's data centers.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

:stare:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

he's a shoe-in for Turning Point USA's upcoming grassroots campaign

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Yes. In SS13, somedude was making remarks about how he was going to shoot up his school. Goon admin did some reverse engineering, figured out who he was and called the FBI. He had to send chat logs and this game is hilarious. Mainly because you can shove someone to the ground, fart on their face, and that’s as normal as a handshake and a hello.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I really tried to understand SS13. Two or three days off and on trying to figure out what the hell is going on and just couldn't get it. Really needs a tutorial or something. Looked funny as poo poo but I never got there.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Soulex posted:

Yes. In SS13, somedude was making remarks about how he was going to shoot up his school. Goon admin did some reverse engineering, figured out who he was and called the FBI. He had to send chat logs and this game is hilarious. Mainly because you can shove someone to the ground, fart on their face, and that’s as normal as a handshake and a hello.

What does that have to do with the site being selected for the library of Congress?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I really tried to understand SS13. Two or three days off and on trying to figure out what the hell is going on and just couldn't get it. Really needs a tutorial or something. Looked funny as poo poo but I never got there.
I've always given up and just started murdering people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Softface posted:

For real. I grew a pretty good ironic Charlie Chaplain mustache a couple years ago for Mustache March and can never do it again.

But I can wear that shirt from da share z0ne where a skeleton kicks a swastika apart so I'd say it evens out.

Remember that some clowns were protesting IT because it made them look bad? We need a similar movement for Charlie impersonators. There has never been a more perilous period to be dress as charlie chaplain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've mastered Dwarf loving Fortress and still can't make heads or tails of SS13

• Locked thread