Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Q8ee posted:

I'd be way more into this game if an extra bracket was added to ranked. Same issues I had 6 months ago the last time I played. I get ranked at Gold II after my placement matches, then proceed to spend 5 games getting dominated by people much more skilled than I am. Then once I drop to Gold IV, I'm in my zone, but it's too easy. So I'll be top of the leaderboard 90% of the time, and get bumped back up to Gold II real quick. It's easy to see how borked things are when you look at the scoreboard, you'll have one or two people in the team with almost all of the kills, and then the rest of the guys sitting at the bottom of the scoreboard with barely anything.

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum. So I have this horrible situation where games are far too easy (but fun, since I get to pop lots of heads) or they're far too difficult (my head gets popped and I do nothing every round cause I get insta-headshotted).

I've made this salty argument before, but Rocket League is the one ranked system I've played that nails it. There's enough skill brackets involved where you always feel like the people you're matched against are of equal level, and wins / losses are easy to analyse and see where you did good / bad. Wins / losses feel fair. But R6? Either you curbstomp, or you are the one who gets curbstomped. Feels bad.

Casual is out of the question, cause that's more often than not full of ridiculously skilled people who just mop the floor with you. That being said, I loving love this game. I just wish I could get well and truly hooked to it.

I'm sorry if this comes off as controversial, but there's a skill bracket between Gold II and Gold IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm sorry if this comes off as controversial, but there's a skill bracket between Gold II and Gold IV.

It's the same deal, man. I can't stay at Gold III cause I just get absolutely poo poo on. Gold IV is full of people who slowly peek windows, have the reflexes of a grandma, and get baited really easily. Then Gold III is people with really fast twitch reflexes, good map knowledge and solidly use rotation to gently caress you up from behind or a different angle, and I just can't keep up with that.

Only reason I even climb past Gold III is I normally end up getting lucky with my random team and they'll carry me to Gold II. But most of my games consist of getting curbstomped and it's just no fun, especially with how terrible matchmaking is (ie it can takes ages to queue cause I have to restart queueing more often than not), so it makes it all the more painful.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

If anyone reading the thread right now is playing because of the free weekend and is considering buying the game, DO NOT but the starter edition.

The grind is lovely and you'll kick yourself for it. It's a bad deal even if it's cheap.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Q8ee posted:

I'd be way more into this game if an extra bracket was added to ranked. Same issues I had 6 months ago the last time I played. I get ranked at Gold II after my placement matches, then proceed to spend 5 games getting dominated by people much more skilled than I am. Then once I drop to Gold IV, I'm in my zone, but it's too easy. So I'll be top of the leaderboard 90% of the time, and get bumped back up to Gold II real quick. It's easy to see how borked things are when you look at the scoreboard, you'll have one or two people in the team with almost all of the kills, and then the rest of the guys sitting at the bottom of the scoreboard with barely anything.

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum. So I have this horrible situation where games are far too easy (but fun, since I get to pop lots of heads) or they're far too difficult (my head gets popped and I do nothing every round cause I get insta-headshotted).

This has nothing to do with having too few ranks. It is simply that matchmaking is garbage and the ~BETA~ system is poo poo at getting people to an appropriate rank.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Y3 sneak peek on pro league stream apparently.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 19, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.twitch.tv/rainbow6

Year 3 Season one is Operation Chimera, which includes a new PvE mode called Outbreak.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Italy. Called it.

Guessing the other two will be Mexico and Australia. lol wtf is happening ubi

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

First season will be a new Russian and new French operator, Season 2 is Italy with a new map, Season 3 is new US/UK operator with map rework. Only two new maps next year, along with map reworks.

EDIT: Season 4 is Morocco with a new map.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, fuckin Morocco.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

2 maps. :allears:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Q8ee posted:

It's the same deal, man. I can't stay at Gold III cause I just get absolutely poo poo on. Gold IV is full of people who slowly peek windows, have the reflexes of a grandma, and get baited really easily. Then Gold III is people with really fast twitch reflexes, good map knowledge and solidly use rotation to gently caress you up from behind or a different angle, and I just can't keep up with that.

have you considered that the skill gap in this area is not this large, and that you could always get better instead of focusing on how your teammates and your opponents are playing

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Minrad posted:

have you considered that the skill gap in this area is not this large, and that you could always get better instead of focusing on how your teammates and your opponents are playing

Maybe I'm just being a big cry baby, but it really is hard getting much learning experience game-to-game when I genuinely feel the skill bracket differences to this extent. I learn nothing when I'm free to bash through windows and stomp around and not have enemies decent enough to kill me. I also learn nothing when I'm sat on the objective the entire round, cause leaving it is guaranteed to get me killed very quickly, and as an attacker, I'll more often than not spend 2 minutes trying to sneak around everywhere, and either get instantly sniped or end up having to rush the objective at 30 seconds and dying.

It'd be great if they nailed ranking so each game, I genuinely felt like the people I was up against were similarly skilled. That way, I wouldn't be scared to break out of the routine I normally adopt. The main thing holding me back is my aim, the map knowledge and tactics I can learn no problem. But my aim, I feel like that's way harder to improve.

Watching people like MacieJay play blows my mind, cause he seems to have a sixth sense of what will happen, and every time he drones, he'll know exactly where to look. I find that by the time I drone a room and move in, there'll be an enemy moving in from a blindspot.

Sidenote: I've just played 6 games and have called it a night. Higher Gold brackets - next to no kills every game. Lower Gold bracket - Top of the scoreboard every time.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 19, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
when you hit a plateau like that you need to just group with some friends.

hop in discord or hit us up on uplay there are goons on almost all the time from the americas and europe

also wear headphones and turn the volume up because its a big part of gameplay as you rank up.

sounds like you're dying to impatience more often than not. the more you move the more you give your position away.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
A lot of it might depend on what time of day you're playing, better players tend to come on later at night.

the reveal stream is happening in like 1 minute: https://www.twitch.tv/rainbow6

Qubee
May 31, 2013

throw us a link to the discord. main thing that has stopped me wanting to play with goons is the real big gap between player skill level, so I've got no idea if matchmaking would throw me against Plat players or something if we had a Plat in the group.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
well zofia looks overpowered, holy poo poo. she's partially immune to ela mines, and she has a 150 round mag LMG, and... she can revive from DBNO??

vigil invisible to drones, looks cool as hell but man that's gonna be infuriating. ah you do get a mute-like effect when you get close to him though

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 19, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Q8ee posted:

throw us a link to the discord. main thing that has stopped me wanting to play with goons is the real big gap between player skill level, so I've got no idea if matchmaking would throw me against Plat players or something if we had a Plat in the group.

https://discord.gg/bHkFJRg

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Oh hey Ubisoft put Call Girl in this game also.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
tts tomorrow whoop

wow this looks like it's gonna be a big meta shift too. dokkaebi can hack people's phones to see cameras if people do runouts and die

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yay Italy, I had a hunch it was going to be the next nation. Funnily enough, I expected Australia or even Israel before Morocco, nice to see Africa getting some representation.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

So only Dokkaebi can use the defender's cameras, right? The entire attacker team using it would change the game too much I'd believe.

Tho I'm new to the game so I don't really know.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
have they said anything about recoil changes on the stream?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

have they said anything about recoil changes on the stream?

Only the pistol changes will be implemented for the next season. They've been rather mum about their current intentions for the other weapons.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Almost lived the dream, prep phase ended with a dude at 20 hp from Twitch drone.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcergNiMDQ

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
omg dokkaebi looks so fun :kimchi:

vigil will keep things interesting for cav mains that want to change it up

and Ela 2 is another LMG so that's automatically good times. because she can get up on her own she will make a pretty excellent long distance peeker but otherwise she seems pretty basic which isn't a bad thing imo because a lot of ppl simply just want to run and gun and she seems great for that. everything about her character feels kinda rushed but idc cause the koreans and new map are genuinely interesting

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or does Vigil's gimmick seem really situational? The combination between it needing to be activated, being time-limited, and tipping off the attacker seems like it'd be pretty difficult to really make the most of it.

The attackers look pretty fun and versatile, though. It's interesting to see them experiment with several smaller abilities instead of just one big one each. Also, I'm really looking forward to rolling with that double-barreled break-action shotgun that the South Koreans get. :getin:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 20, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

It does also make him invisible to hacked cameras, which is pretty useful since it seems very easy to hack them. Not knowing exactly where he is + your own reaction time can be just enough to get you killed. I think it's pretty neat.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think Vigils one is something that looks niche on paper but when it comes into play, it'll come up really big. IQ not being able to see him might make him good enough on his own at launch.

Haven't really followed the new operators until today, they all look really cool!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm all about Vigil's double barreled shotgun.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

I think Vigils one is something that looks niche on paper but when it comes into play, it'll come up really big. IQ not being able to see him might make him good enough on his own at launch.

Haven't really followed the new operators until today, they all look really cool!

IQ can see him when he's using his gadget, like pulse.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Vigil's gadget seems like it might be most useful if you actually get droned out. Quickly pop your ability so they don't know which door you took on your way out, and by the time opfor enter room to get their eyes on you, you've baited them into your angle. Or when you hear the drone rolling nearby, pop it and walk over the drone to find the attacker and shoot them in the face! :haw:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Only the pistol changes will be implemented for the next season. They've been rather mum about their current intentions for the other weapons.

Nice the pistol changes were the only really good ones.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The new operators having one and a half operator abilities and weird edge-case interactions because of ~the lore~ is incredibly dumb.

Can't wait for one or more of them to have completely broken guns, too.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Dunno, it's not dissimilar from Jackal or Caveira.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

The new operators having one and a half operator abilities and weird edge-case interactions because of ~the lore~ is incredibly dumb.

Can't wait for one or more of them to have completely broken guns, too.

vigil seems pretty well balanced and thought out
dokkaebi seems like a snowball operator that punishes you for people feeding on top of having strong utility. lol

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Also drat just saw that operator video they all look awesome. Kurwa attacker is just..a better ash tho??

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh man Dokaebi's ability lets ALL attackers see the cams? That's freaking nuts man! It also should (keyword should) make people that are roaming not play so far away from the team.Since already nobody leaves the objective to go pick up Pulse or whatever when he goes down across the map and up 2 floors, nobody is going to go and make sure to clear his browser history on his phone either.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Dokkaebi sounds like she's very strong if you feed her, but making op4's phones ring is kind of a silly ability that doesn't add much unless you're looking for roamers. Like imagine ringing the phones and going "yep, 3 guys in objective" during the last push. Their dead teammates can still check cams and the all attackers know is that defenders are somewhere between those reinforced walls.

More importantly she will punish the hell out of caveira or bandit mains who jump outside and try to score quick kills on me from behind. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Minrad posted:

vigil seems pretty well balanced and thought out
dokkaebi seems like a snowball operator that punishes you for people feeding on top of having strong utility. lol

Yeah Vigil is good.

Zofia/Ela should lose the stun reduction and Dokkaebi should only have the camera hacking.

• Locked thread