Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Unironically the best way to teach kids how to be better at magic is to mercilessly wreck them. Losing a bunch is how you get good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
When I was like 10 I beat a huge neckbeard who owned a card shop in Duel Masters with a deck that consisted of all my rare cards and no strategy. His friends made fun of him after, it was great.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

sit on my Facebook posted:

Unironically the best way to teach kids how to be better at magic is to mercilessly wreck them. Losing a bunch is how you get good

I've been gitting gud for years now

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

sit on my Facebook posted:

This is v. accurate.

Maybe 4-5 years back I worked at a summer program with middle schoolers who were really into magic. I didn't go easy on them, and out of hundreds (if not a bit over a thousand) matches over the summer I lost 3 times. (I didn't bring any of my actually ~competitive~ decks, but they were definitely better than what they had).

After every game I'd show them mistakes they made and how they could have played things differently, and also helped them with deckbuilding ideas/better deck construction. They got a lot better over the summer.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

This is v. accurate.

Maybe 4-5 years back I worked at a summer program with middle schoolers who were really into magic. I didn't go easy on them, and out of hundreds (if not a bit over a thousand) matches over the summer I lost 3 times. (I didn't bring any of my actually ~competitive~ decks, but they were definitely better than what they had).

After every game I'd show them mistakes they made and how they could have played things differently, and also helped them with deckbuilding ideas/better deck construction. They got a lot better over the summer.

Be the boss fight that people feel accomplished beating!

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

En Fuego posted:

Be the boss fight that people feel accomplished beating!

I was! The kids who beat me felt great, and I was a gracious loser (and a gracious winner). I made everybody shake hands and say good game after every match.

Gotta stop those boys and girls from being grognards ~somehow~.

My favorite loss I was during a 1v1v1. I was gonna drop hoof and win on my next turn, but one of them had a grislebrand out and equipped a fireshrieker on it. They hit me for 14, and the other kid took control of it on their turn and hit me for another 14. A goofy, enjoyable way to lose.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I used to play chess competitively and in my experience it's not being mercilessly beat that makes you a better player, it's analyzing the game after the fact and figuring out when you could have played better that does

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I was! The kids who beat me felt great, and I was a gracious loser (and a gracious winner). I made everybody shake hands and say good game after every match.

Gotta stop those boys and girls from being grognards ~somehow~.

My favorite loss I was during a 1v1v1. I was gonna drop hoof and win on my next turn, but one of them had a grislebrand out and equipped a fireshrieker on it. They hit me for 14, and the other kid took control of it on their turn and hit me for another 14. A goofy, enjoyable way to lose.

I mean hard to really be a gracious loser if you only lose 3 times over a thousand matches.

People can learn when winning too, especially if it's clear there's a deckbuilding discrepancy that's causing one person to win 99.7% of the time.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elyv posted:

I used to play chess competitively and in my experience it's not being mercilessly beat that makes you a better player, it's analyzing the game after the fact and figuring out when you could have played better that does

Basically this is true. Losing without mutual analysis doesn't do much. But on the same note, being softballed without analysis doesn't give you any path forward.

Every competitive game I play follows the same arc. I learn the rules, play with friends, maybe read a strategy article or two then go to a tournament and spend hours getting my face worked into the pavement. I try and talk with my opponents, and maybe half of them will walk with me through their decision trees and so forth. Repeat with less and less face in that pavement time.

The key is to never stop analyzing. Even if you 3-0 a tournament you should be analyzing. Did you get lucky? Did you look at all the reasonable lines of play? Could you have won sooner? How could your opponents have won?

I like it when kids I've helped start playing begin being viable challengers and actually winning against me. You can see their improvement, and with it a sense of accomplishment. When they start help them, and as they get better discuss with them. Simple as that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elyv posted:

Yeah it’s mutual analysis that helps. The big but here is who wants to do that with magic players?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it’s mutual analysis that helps. The big but here is who wants to do that with magic players?

The last time people were talking about big buts and Magic players, someone got suspended.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Elyv posted:

Oh for sure, two sides of the same coin. But assuming you intend to offer that advice and you're actually trying to help the newbie get better, pulling punches hurts more than helps.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you've crushed them that quickly, offer to swap decks and play for fun. If their deck is janky but has a plan (as opposed to being all_my_cards.dec), you'll probably be able to put up a decent fight just due to the skill gap - and both playing a close game, and seeing a deck that they've built do what it's supposed to, is a big step towards getting them hooked.

You know. If getting kids hooked on gaming crack is a thing you want to be doing.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

just want to say anyone bagging on Isabel for her appearance deserves a kick in the teeth. she's a friend of mine and a super nice person, and she came out publicly only a few months ago. i talked with her right after the match finished and yeah I think she forgot to side back in all her cards from the previous match, maybe on screen jitters.

anyways gently caress haters she made day 2 and is an awesome magic player

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

just want to say anyone bagging on Isabel for her appearance deserves a kick in the teeth. she's a friend of mine and a super nice person, and she came out publicly only a few months ago. i talked with her right after the match finished and yeah I think she forgot to side back in all her cards from the previous match, maybe on screen jitters.

anyways gently caress haters she made day 2 and is an awesome magic player

wtf are you on about I dont see these posts

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Toshimo posted:

wtf are you on about I dont see these posts

let me don my expert genius detective hat to try and solve this mystery

i bet its twitch chat

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

let me don my expert genius detective hat to try and solve this mystery

i bet its twitch chat

Goons posting ITT as if we're all aware of and watching the same Twitch stream is so weird. At least have screenshots/a link/context because usually SCG and Wizards and maybe a random pro are streaming at the same time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, coming in here to yell at us like we are twitch chat is like me yelling at my dog for Trump's tweets.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
PS: He's really sorry about bringing up HER EMAILS.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Nice dog.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Rough time day 2, played for top 64 last round and just couldn’t close it out, had my opponent to one. Had fun though.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
http://twitter.com/cavemankellen/status/932385808379777030

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dehtraen posted:

Rough time day 2, played for top 64 last round and just couldn’t close it out, had my opponent to one. Had fun though.

What did ya play?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

Congrats on the great finish!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
goddamn prices are totally cratering from IMA. this is cool and good imo

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

little munchkin posted:

goddamn prices are totally cratering from IMA. this is cool and good imo

Agreed. I hope it continues to crater. Crash and burn overpriced prices.

I sold my Vials at $40 some time ago; but if I can pick them up at $20 each at some point, I'll probably grab a playset for whenever I get a hankerin to play D&T

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Is this legal

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
After the weekend, lets talk a little bit about cards to pickup in iconic masters at least for modern.

Aether Vial: This card isn't going to reach 15 bucks it seems after all unless the set continues to be opened pretty hard. The demand is just so massive. Every type of magic player wants vial even if they have a deck for it or not. Its by far the most traded card out there right now and the buylist price is going to stay high. It might be the easiest card to move in the set.

Auriok Champion: The card is already close to the floor and its awesome. Its more of a casual card in casual decks but its an old favorite of mine. I would pick these up when they are 2-3 bucks.

Ancestral Vision: If you are going to play this card its already at a pretty good price around 16. If you are on the fence and the card drops below 10 buy buy buy. Nobody is talking about this card and its drop is pretty massive for the power level.

Oblivion Stone: If you ever see yourself playing tron pick this up while its back to being under 5 bucks. You don't need a playset, but 3 isn't out of the question.

Bloodghast: This is the second printing of the card and its getting closer to 5 bucks and is going to make it there. Its a unique card ability that drive 2 good decks already but its also a vampire and spirit. I like it.

Grove of the Burnwillows: Its about to be less than 10 bucks. Its an untapped dual with limited downside. Gaining your opponent life is something that can be a real upside in certain situations. I am sure future cards will abuse this mechanic. Its legacy/modern playable. I will probably get a playset around 7.

Horizon Canopy: 30 bucks isn't bad compared to what it was a short time ago. Its followed the same patterns vial did this weekend but I feel like demand is going to drown out well before vial does. this is going to be a card I pick up sub 20 bucks. Its going to take a few weeks to get there. EDH will mean that it will eventually creep back up.

Thoughtseize: If you don't have a playset and ever hope to play black cards in older formats this card is going to be 10 bucks for a bit and you should buy it if you will play it. It will probably get under 10 bucks but not but will continue to creep up after that.

Magus of the moon: Card is cheap right now. Its a creature toolbox card that has no alternative (in a creature). Unless you already own some blood moons you probably don't need more than 2.

Glimpse of the unthinkable: This card is going to be 2 bucks in a few weeks. It basically a must buy if you ever want to play the janky mill decks. I would be more worried about buying archive traps at the moment if you were looking to build this deck in the future while they are still cheap.

Monastery mentor and rift bolt. At 2 bucks a playset I feel like its silly to not have these if you ever hope to play burn/zoo type decks.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Canopy might not drop too much more for now, there's an up and coming modern deck that plays four.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

Canopy might not drop too much more for now, there's an up and coming modern deck that plays four.

Which deck?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the SECRET new deck man, and its for sure gonna have vengevine and theyre gonna go uP UP UP

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

rabidsquid posted:

the SECRET new deck man, and its for sure gonna have vengevine and theyre gonna go uP UP UP

Vengevine is why I got into modern. :shobon:

I love that card and get giddy whenever it shows a glimmer of tiered play.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Secure your playsets of Rashadan Brigands NOW!!!

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
On camera yesterday during a 4-color temur Mirror. A guy plays Nicol Bolas; next turn he upticks to play his opponents Chandra off their library, the Chandra upticks to reveal a confiscation coup, and that coup stole the guys Scarab God.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DangerDongs posted:

On camera yesterday during a 4-color temur Mirror. A guy plays Nicol Bolas; next turn he upticks to play his opponents Chandra off their library, the Chandra upticks to reveal a confiscation coup, and that coup stole the guys Scarab God.

This is what Magic is all about.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skyl3lazer posted:

This deck just be top loving secret because I don’t see anything but bogles running 4 canopy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I put my Canopy in my 7-y/o's Feline Ferocity commander deck. :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Glimpse of the unthinkable: This card is going to be 2 bucks in a few weeks. It basically a must buy if you ever want to play the janky mill decks. I would be more worried about buying archive traps at the moment if you were looking to build this deck in the future while they are still cheap.

As someone who loves Mill, ironically enough it's a real bad time to be playing Mill. Affinity and Eldrazi Tron are super popular, Infect is making a resurgence, and people are playing around with Gideon tribal decks that are tough to deal with. I haven't played the deck since the summer, it's a bummer.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Looking at the results of GP Portland, holy hell does Standard suck right now.

It feels worse than Bant Company Standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
There’s a turbo Devoted Druid list with some Canopies and Baubles