Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Chokes McGee posted:

I don't care how many times they call him Ralph, that is Eel goddamn O'Brien in everything but name and costume.
He does fit O'Brien's personality a lot more so far. I get the feeling that the plan is to start him as Plastic Man, and slowly fade him into Elongated Man as Barry continues to be a good influence on him. If he ends up meeting a lady named Sue Dearborn, that'll be the turning point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Plus, shape-changing was always more Plastic Man's thing. The balloon animal hand. :gonk:
He talked about being a giant sling-shot (but he didn't actually do it).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aleph Null posted:

Plus, shape-changing was always more Plastic Man's thing. The balloon animal hand. :gonk:
He talked about being a giant sling-shot (but he didn't actually do it).

Yeah. Dibny in the comics had some amount of shape changing powers but he couldn't go full ham like Plas could. LIke, he could turn his fingers into lockpicks, but not just turn into literally anything he could think of.

Love that bullet bounce back effect, it's straight out of the comics

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

XboxPants posted:

This is part of the problem. If stealing the artifact to return it to the tribe was something they signed off on, and it was okay when Dibny & Barry did it, then why stop her at all? It's like it's only bad when she does it. The justification being, of course, it's bad when she does it because her ways are savage, and their ways are civilized.

If they're going to recognize her goals as noble, they gotta recognize her as noble, too, or else it comes off as "it's only ok when us civilized types do it". They could have just worked with her, tried to help her do things without killing people. Flash has worked with tons of murderers before, including himself.

The main criminal I remember flash cutting deals with was snart and the deal was he could rob but not kill. Black buffalo was introduced as a murderer not as some Savage native; I think reading into it the way you did is kinda flawed.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Black Buffalo's opening move was ripping a guy to shreds, Flash didn't have time to tell her his real identity and cut a deal for happy fun crime like he did with Captain Cold.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I find it hard to believe the necklace piece would end up in a museum in Central City. There are so many laws regarding native artifacts, even if sometimes it takes a while to get them back - see the Kennewick Man case. Just googling "native american artifacts museum law" returns tons of examples of artifacts being returned. Even if they were still at the museum, there would almost certainly be a very public ongoing lawsuit.

I'm not exactly an expert on law regarding American Indians, but seriously writers just Google for five minutes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I know it probably seems like I harp on unimportant details, but TV writing is a long and involved process, and I think it's really stupid that nobody is taking the time to ask questions like "how does an insulin pump work" or "does this situation even make sense." But then I remember that they forget about details like "what is the villain's plan" and "why do these idiots compulsively lie to each other" and "is Barry going back to save his mom after all just a really loving dumb idea," so I don't know what I expect.

I know they can do it, though, because I just finished another re-watch of season 1, and that's still some good TV.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This is why I like LoT the most now.

Everyone fully endorses that the characters are idiots and lean into the comic books fully. None of the "see, this isn't magic because we are using technical words", just straight up Damien Dark killing people with literal magic to the tune of a song :v:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I was waiting for the reveal that he wasn't actually a cyborg at all.

He did look like someone cos playing a cyborg at a sci fi convention with a costume budget of 10 bucks

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

He did look like someone cos playing a cyborg at a sci fi convention with a costume budget of 10 bucks
He looked like Kickpuncher.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

He looked like Kickpuncher.

This is now canon. Abed is a breacher.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FAU, if it makes you feel better, my last gig was scripting a reality series (which isn't really screenwriting but more writing loglines and summaries and letting the subjects take it from there on set) and I'm pretty sure that I paid more attention to detail and plotholes than the Flash writers do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

FAU, if it makes you feel better, my last gig was scripting a reality series (which isn't really screenwriting but more writing loglines and summaries and letting the subjects take it from there on set) and I'm pretty sure that I paid more attention to detail and plotholes than the Flash writers do.
You know who else did? The Flash writers in Season 1. My currently include series of concussions, gas leak, and "nobody in the writer's room has slept a day in five years."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

You know who else did? The Flash writers in Season 1. My currently include series of concussions, gas leak, and "nobody in the writer's room has slept a day in five years."

Unfortunately there's only one good response to this:

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Hopefully with Kreisberg's removal, the writers can be re-energized and encouraged to speak out against dumb ideas. Or probably not.

Anyway here's a 30s promo for the crossover: https://youtu.be/E12IRE556LY (the still was spoilery)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yer Burnt posted:

Hopefully with Kreisberg's removal, the writers can be re-energized and encouraged to speak out against dumb ideas. Or probably not.

Anyway here's a 30s promo for the crossover: https://youtu.be/E12IRE556LY (the still was spoilery)

I just hope this time the Arrow episode isn't a dream sequence.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just hope this time the Arrow episode isn't a dream sequence.

From what I’ve read the crossover this year was filmed as one giant four hour movie spread out across two nights. So that means that the Supergirl and Arrow portions of it will actually be completely a part of the crossover this time instead of being 90% a stand-alone Supergirl episode and 50% the Arrow 100th episode celebration special, respectively, like last time around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, last year they seemed to favor letting each show do its thing but it really made the crossover feel disjointed and half done. This year they seem to have just hijacked the other shows to do a standalone story, which is the right approach for a crossover. Even if it will probably confuse some people who don't watch all the shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last year's crossover also had the weird thing where not every character was showing up on other shows. So the Legends show up to help but Nate and Amaya didn't, with similar things happening to Arrow and Flash characters.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, and half of Team Arrow sat the last episode out for some reason. And of course none of Team Supergirl showed up. I guess it probably had to do with production stuff, schedules, money, contracts, etc. But it was weird. Fun, but weird.

Film a 2 hour thing and break it into 4 parts. Seems like that's the approach they took this time. Hell, they even moved the schedule around so its really just 2 2-hour parts.

But boy is that going to be confusing for people who binge the shows on Netflix. But true to all classic comic book crossovers if they throw a little panel up that says "Don't Watch This Unless You've Seen..."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yer Burnt posted:

It starts tomorrow? I thought it was next week.

E: to be clear, I'm confused that the trailer says "starts monday" with no date implying tomorrow.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 20, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is next week.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this! posted:

It is next week.

Okay, good. That matches up better with my thanksgiving travel plans. I can head home Tuesday, watch Monday's episodes in a perfectly legal manner honest, and then catch the rest.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This episode is hella bad.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
So, uh, did Wally just make a reference to Starro? When are we going to see more about that?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I’m glad everyone laid their cards on the table rather than drawing this out for half a season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"It wouldn't be the first time someone played nice and turned out to be a bad guy." :v:

itt Barry harasses a crippled dude.

I'm guessing they don't "beat" DeVoe but he just ends up dying because he burns himself out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What is the deal with the surface pro "commercials" that are apparently still supposed to be canonical scenes? Those are weird and obnoxious. Do they do this in any other shows? Is this the next big thing in advertising?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Guy A. Person posted:

What is the deal with the surface pro "commercials" that are apparently still supposed to be canonical scenes? Those are weird and obnoxious. Do they do this in any other shows? Is this the next big thing in advertising?

With DVRs becoming pretty much universal and live viewership down, they're finding new ways to get their advertising in and that's definitely one way of going about it.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Someone really should make Barry a suit of some kind that includes a mask that covers part of his face. Then he could wear it when going places or doing things that Barry Allen shouldn't be seen doing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Missing from this conversation: "why are we enemies? You want to save people and so do I."

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
*Barry pulls up hoodie to go incognito and snoop, after waiting for the wife to leave*

*five seconds later phases through wall into house, pulls down hoodie*

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Autism Sneaks posted:

*Barry pulls up hoodie to go incognito and snoop, after waiting for the wife to leave*

*five seconds later phases through wall into house, pulls down hoodie*

The flash. Foiled by a 20 dollar wyzecam.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Guy A. Person posted:

Still less egregious than the Nissan Leaf product placement in Fringe.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

No Butt Stuff posted:

The flash. Foiled by a 20 dollar wyzecam.

When I saw that he got caught on a camera I almost yelled at the TV. I mean gently caress, why did he not search the whole house faster than it takes to record a frame? It's more infuriating than Team Flash collectively making GBS threads on Barry and losing faith in him when he and the entire audience knows Defoe is the Thinker.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm catching up, but I'm pretty sure there's no line better than "baby violence solves nothing"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Still less egregious than the Nissan Leaf product placement in Fringe.

oh god I just barfed a little in my mouth

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They should try to live up to the gold standard of Chuck’s Subway advertisements.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the episode and am glad to know my theory that he came back from the future or something was just stupid. Looking forward to the crossover next week and then the meat of the season after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It's not like Microsoft is propping up The Flash like Chuck literally needed Subway to keep going after Season 2, is it?