Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Snak posted:

Yeah, a big factor in how someone feels about Nioh is their opinion of the diablo-style loot and crafting system. Some people absolutely hate it and think it's the worst part of the game. I love it.

Yeah, I can see that, for sure. For me the whole gear thing in Souls games always pissed me off because you'd want to use a specific weapon but for some arbitrary assed reason it's hidden away in a random spot in some level WAY later in the game, so you just have to use other poo poo for the majority and then switch to that. Moreover, once you sink the shards and whatnot into that one weapon, if you find it sucks for something, you'd better have an alternative (oh, one that ALSO synergizes with your stats, since stats make a HUGE difference in Souls, vs being important but not of core importance like in Nioh) or else FUUUUCK you, have fun going back and grinding. I literally was playing a mission and having trouble with one set of encounters with a stream of dudes that spawned in,s o I decided to switch it up... went and found a Revenant nearby that had purple dual swords, kicked his rear end, got the swords, started using them and threw a few points into a couple of useful skills, then went to town... beat the fight, and all it cost me was a momentary 10 minute detour of futzing around within the mission I was already on. Game won me over right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nioh for me it's a game that is really flexible when it comes to weapons. I'm still on the third zone and I'm switching between swords, axes, spears and nodachis depending on the situation. The game throws a lot of skillpoints so you can unlock skills and combos making combat really shine after a few hours into the game. Sure, enemy variety is not great but they all blend perfectly with the gameplay. Fighting revenants can be really cool as you hunt for certain items and the game rewards you enough for doing it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Nioh has some great core concepts and bad execution of most of them. The loot is dull, you end up with a full inventory of disposable junk and it makes dumping it into the shrine a sort of pointless busywork. Levels aren't terrible, but they aren't nearly as intricate as Souls levels, even at their best, and William is so slippery that any level that has insta death pits can prove an exercise in frustration. You die really easily, and the game never really lets up in difficulty, which isn't a fault in and of itself, but the sheer relentless punishing nature of the game makes it very tough to grin and scrape through. Boss fights are good, and actually tend to be easier than a number of enemy encounters. Fighting multiple enemies is brutal.

Nioh is cool but really flawed. It struggles from having too much going on, delivering nothing precisely right. I'd like to see a sequel, but I want that sequel to take a machete to the source, and really hack away at the real treasure within.

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

revolther posted:

This is hilarious. Previously it was a very special sort of person that could power through any of the King's Field games but now they have fan boys.

Not only does Bloodborne look, play, and run like a turd comparatively, that is just an objective truth; nut moreover, Bloodborne is also merely the least bad game in a series of bad games by a (pretty)bad developer who is having a brief moment in the spotlight in response to bad industry practices.

The brief foray into motion controls and "making gaming accessible for everyone" lowered the standards across the board in the industry and the popularity of poorly designed games that "don't hold your hand" is a backlash, it didn't make FromSoft good at developing fun interesting games to play, it just made a bigger niche audience willing to accept bump-mapped turd fests as AAA titles.

I get it, you've drank the Kool-Aid and now everything is Bloodborne and nothing hurts, but the rest of us who aren't losing touch with reality are finding year 3 of this poo poo dull.

Would you like a Baja Blast with that sir? Your total is $8.36 please pull around.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

TV Chat.

Black Friday coming up and the sales are pretty much started. What's the word on best 4k hdr 65" set around 1k or a little more? Samsung MU7000 is 1050 but the MU8000 is $1300. Is the 8k worth the extra price? Looks like the difference is 120 vs 240hz refresh. I was hoping TCL would release a 65" version of their $650 set but it was canceled :(

Oh there's a thread for this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839412

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 20, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DS2 is really the only one where Mace is the best weapon because so many enemies and bosses took more damage from blunt weapons, there’s plenty of viable weapons in 1 and 3

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dont feed items to the shrine amrita is the last thing in the world you need and if you take the elixir kodama thing you should end up with hundreds of extras unless you're just catastrophically bad. just mass disassemble or sell them

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

christ we just need a thread for all things DS/BB so y'all can bicker about which one you personally felt was best. It has been a while I suppose. Just enjoy what you like god drat

as someone that never played BB I agree with the BB meltdown also why is it being compared to HZD? Even comparing it to BOTW is a bit of a stretch :argh: give me a drat glider!!

Idk I think the circle jerk dog pile is much worse than the actual post :gerty:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Naw people should be called out for melting down like a dipshit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Norns posted:

Naw people should be called out for melting down like a dipshit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Norns posted:

Naw people should be called out for melting down like a dipshit if it's a game my e-bros and I feverishly enjoy so we can all exchange sweet high fives whilst defending our honor

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chain meltdowns are even better

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

christ we just need a thread for all things DS/BB so y'all can bicker about which one you personally felt was best. It has been a while I suppose. Just enjoy what you like god drat

as someone that never played BB I agree with the BB meltdown also why is it being compared to HZD? Even comparing it to BOTW is a bit of a stretch :argh: give me a drat glider!!

I mean I actually agree that the post the dude was responding to was obnoxious in itself. Someone praising a different game isn't cause to jump in all BUT BLOODBORNE IS BETTER

That said he didn't just say that, he went full crazy

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Chain meltdowns are even better

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

How can you agree with his meltdown if you’ve never played BB? When he says it plays like a turd how can you have an opinion if you’ve never played it? This is a very bad post.

Yours is bad too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:thejoke:

not into any DS-esque games in any capacity but watching y'all get so serious about which is better is great

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

not into any DS-esque games in any capacity but watching y'all get so serious about which is better is great

I only play anime games like Persona and Call of Duty

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nice meltdown

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Actually, this universally loved game is - get this - bad

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol nice meltdown bro

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol nice meltdown bro

Turn your monitor on

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

is there a guide for what constitutes a meltdown or is it just the new "cuck" buzzword

cause nice meltdown there

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

this was a huge improvement on whatever people were cranky about being discussed in the first place

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yes onto more important things like can we create an EA-esque reddit movement to get Horizon 2 to have some sort of glider. BOTW has forever ruined me

hell I'll even pay for that poo poo---if only a mere chance via lootcrates

-edit whole lotta anime and BB boyz avs going on in this page

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 20, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some kind of ship (the new character silouettes don't fill me with confidence)?

The game should be revealed within a few hours

ufarn
May 30, 2009
please don't spoil the ship or any kind of oceanic transport

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

but is it a flying boat 🤔

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

ufarn posted:

please don't spoil the ship or any kind of oceanic transport

What if it's not a level?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Unreal_One posted:

What if it's not a level?

:vince:

:golfclap:

-edit if anyone missed the somewhat deep reference I think it was about a spoiler in Destiny 2 or maybe resident evil? In this thread

some guy got really mad when someone *spoiled* the fact that there was a "level" on a ship. That person as well as some defending him got mad because they didn't know there was a ship level and that the game could have taken place in the same setting as the initial levels and thus spoiled the story

or something like that it was all really dumb and lol

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 20, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

Some kind of ship (the new character silouettes don't fill me with confidence)?

The game should be revealed within a few hours

I predict... a class of military students using a highly-advanced/prototype naval ship, travelling around the country trying to stop an international or civil war.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That was the joke, yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The background is a landscape covered in huge shards of ice and snow, FYI.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I predict... a class of military students using a highly-advanced/prototype naval ship, travelling around the country trying to stop an international or civil war.

Well I suppose if Valkyria had to back to military academies then copying Trails of Cold Steel 2 is probably the best choice they could have made.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ufarn posted:

That was the joke, yes.

Lol sorry I didn’t quote you mr joke starter don’t get all pissy

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Jesus Christ my guy give it a rest

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Just stop.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nice

Meltdown

My
Dude

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I knew it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I'm actually laughing right now,