Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

around the same time he did his dumbass banana stuff

He did what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Crane Fist posted:

He did what now

Kirk Cameron thinks bananas disprove evolution https://youtu.be/2z-OLG0KyR4

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

emdash posted:

ray comfort, the ned flanders looking weirdo in that vid didn't take it too well when someone pointed out that since bananas also fit inside your rear end, that must mean god designed us to have gay sex

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been told a fist also perfectly fits a baby's face. God's a hosed up guy.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
the best part is when he says "it's even curved so that it points towards your face" because you can also hold it so that it's pointed away from your face, presumably proving that it is actually a forbidden fruit the lord does not want us to partake of

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Also you know bananas are the result of millennia of selective breeding and domestication by humans to the point where they can only proliferate via cultivation from clippings since we bred the seeds out of them so it's actually a great illustration of evolution.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bananas are god intended them.

Yum

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

emdash posted:

That's still not the dumbest anti-evolution thing I've seen, that would be the comic comparing evolution to Yugioh cards or some poo poo that made my brain melt

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Huzanko posted:

They clearly are and want to be more than a ~*~ comedy podcast ~*~ but they maintain the cop-out of being such in order to deflect current and future criticisms and responsibility. I don't blame them for this but dipshit fans need to stop echoing it.

Not really. They are a comedic podcast about politics.

Because politics are real, and serious, they ocassionally have episodes that are more serious. But if you look at the show's guests, they're basically: 1) funny people they know from online 2) funny writers who share their politics broadly 3) actual comedians 4) serious journalists or political figures.

They've had two high-profile 'serious' guests this year (Naomi Klein and China Mieville) compared to at least 4 'comedic' ones (David Cross, Tim Heidecker on multiple episodes, Patton Oswalt, Rob Delaney). They've also had completely apolitical people like Adam Friedland or leyawn, just because of humor.

It's a popular podcast that would probably have no problem getting journalists from publications such as The Intercept, or DSA and other types of political organizers, if they wanted to. You can probably see the fact that these types of guests aren't super common as a conscious decision to steer the show away from that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The author went on to base his comic entirely around hawking some magnet-water snake oil, and then...became a penciler for DC Comics.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Pedro De Heredia posted:

completely apolitical people like Adam Friedland

Actually Adam is the author of the influential pamphlet "Whose Hive? Our Hive!" which puts forth a case for radical nectar redistribution

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Halloween Jack posted:

The author went on to base his comic entirely around hawking some magnet-water snake oil, and then...became a penciler for DC Comics.

shameless

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/932420961944530945

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

felix... if ur here say "i have stairs" in the next chapo ep

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/932422601485574144
Virgil making me miss the mock threads for this guy, so many good edits, lost to the sands of time and the fact that Waterhaul was a bad mod

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Finally, revenge is mine and it is sweet.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

joepinetree posted:

Comparing Chapo to what the Crooked Media guys are doing is nonsense. Crooked media was formed by 4 high level white house staffers who have had the support and participation of essentially the entire democratic party. They are not forming a coalition as much as energizing one that already existed. And even then, they did it because of the access that they had to pretty much every single big name democratic and media person out there.

Chapo, by being more leftwing, is not going to have access to anywhere near the same amount of people. Even then, they've done an incredible job of recruiting people for the DSA and of amplifying important leftwing voices (how many people here followed Ricky Rawls, RL Stephens, Roqayah Chammseddine before they were guests).

They're all a bunch of white guys, is my issue. One group has gone out of their way to actively recruit outside, underrepresented voices, some of whom have been leading Labor movements, and they made those folks regular features. And it ain't the podcast you'd expect.

The more leftwing podcast should have MORE access to those groups, if anything. But that's kinda beside the point, because I have zero interest in making an us/them issue in the face of literal Republican pedo Senators at our doorstep. I respect the hell out of what Chapo has done and continues to do. I want to make it clear that I'm not making demands of this goodass podcast because they do what they want, and they're doing a great job for the DSA, and that's their prerogative.

But if you want to talk about direct action, that's another topic entirely. Sure, it's a Comedy Podcast, but are y'all invested in the concepts or not? It's a Comedy podcast that frequently rails against failed Institutions a lot, so it's hard to ignore that frequently bemoaned issue when other people are addressing it on the ground instead of just bitching about it. That seems to be one of their beefs with the Democratic party. And I have a huge beef with the Parties as well. But I also need the boys to shut the gently caress up sometimes, especially when it comes to VA and AL.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 20, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, seems like Chapo has done OK at recruiting minority guests. Pod Save America made a whole network, so they've got more resources to dole out. Chapo doesn't seem interested in creating a network, so all they have are 2 guest host spots a week.

Serf
May 5, 2011

listening to pod save america smooths out your brain and cancels out chapo's attempts to wrinkle it

add street fight radio and champagne sharks to your rotation to counteract the effect

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want to start listening to Champaign Sharks again, but Ricky Rawls needs to silence his phone when he records.

coathat
May 21, 2007

He needs to learn how to interview someone.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If your problem is that there aren't enough PoC or direct action types on Chapo, there are plenty of other podcasts around that can fill that hole.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

You can only subscribe to one tho

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

oh poo poo

If you're a cop you have to tell me right?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

If your problem is that there aren't enough PoC or direct action types on Chapo, there are plenty of other podcasts around that can fill that hole.

Several have the advantage of not having Jacobin / The Intercept breathing down their necks, so stuff like Trillibily's RL episode would be near impossible.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crisco Kid posted:

They're all a bunch of white guys, is my issue. One group has gone out of their way to actively recruit outside, underrepresented voices, some of whom have been leading Labor movements, and they made those folks regular features. And it ain't the podcast you'd expect.

The more leftwing podcast should have MORE access to those groups, if anything.
I'm not very familiar with Crooked Media - I've listened to exactly two of their shows once each - but judging by their wikipedia page, they're heavier on white men than Chapo is. Are there a bunch of recent hires or junior members that aren't on the page or something?

Crisco Kid posted:

But that's kinda beside the point, because I have zero interest in making an us/them issue in the face of literal Republican pedo Senators at our doorstep. I respect the hell out of what Chapo has done and continues to do. I want to make it clear that I'm not making demands of this goodass podcast because they do what they want, and they're doing a great job for the DSA, and that's their prerogative.
I think one of the points that Chapo makes the clearest when it's doing some of its dreaded non-comedy is that we can't just wish not to be in an us-versus-them situation, it already is one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Comparing Chapo to guys who can afford to run a whole podcast network is pretty absurd. Yea no poo poo CM and all have more venues to put PoC out and all, they have a poo poo ton more resources than Chapo does. Chapo seems to be trying very hard to get diverse guests and all but they're mainly bound by 'who can we get a good skype going with or who's local in New York'.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"I smell pennies all the time!"

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Something funny that I missed from the Reign Over Me episode: Matt encountering the song Reign Over Me playing in real life sometime after the viewing of the film and expecting Adam Sandler to come out of the aether and murder him ala The Ring going AAAAABAGAAAABAAAGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Crotch posted:

I'm not very familiar with Crooked Media - I've listened to exactly two of their shows once each - but judging by their wikipedia page, they're heavier on white men than Chapo is. Are there a bunch of recent hires or junior members that aren't on the page or something?

maybe you are familiar with noted brand appreciator Deray
ira madison has a podcast on their network too but it is entirely pop culture thing I think

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Comparing Chapo to guys who can afford to run a whole podcast network is pretty absurd. Yea no poo poo CM and all have more venues to put PoC out and all, they have a poo poo ton more resources than Chapo does. Chapo seems to be trying very hard to get diverse guests and all but they're mainly bound by 'who can we get a good skype going with or who's local in New York'.

That's true but I don't think inability to find PoC who can use Skype or live in NYC is actually an issue.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Trabisnikof posted:

That's true but I don't think inability to find PoC who can use Skype or live in NYC is actually an issue.

Yea my point was more that they're limited by scheduled and all much more than the guys who have a lot more funding/resources are. If Pod wants a dude on they can work around things or use other podcasts on the network to help out, whereas Chapo is pretty much 'we have two shows to record a week, and we'd like to at least stay topical mostly so if you can't be here for this recording it's kinda a narrow window'.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
its your chapo for the week, and our guest is definitely not nick mullen doing his chinese character voice

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crisco Kid posted:

The more leftwing podcast should have MORE access to those groups, if anything. But that's kinda beside the point, because I have zero interest in making an us/them issue in the face of literal Republican pedo Senators at our doorstep. I respect the hell out of what Chapo has done and continues to do. I want to make it clear that I'm not making demands of this goodass podcast because they do what they want, and they're doing a great job for the DSA, and that's their prerogative.

But if you want to talk about direct action, that's another topic entirely. Sure, it's a Comedy Podcast, but are y'all invested in the concepts or not? It's a Comedy podcast that frequently rails against failed Institutions a lot, so it's hard to ignore that frequently bemoaned issue when other people are addressing it on the ground instead of just bitching about it. That seems to be one of their beefs with the Democratic party. And I have a huge beef with the Parties as well. But I also need the boys to shut the gently caress up sometimes, especially when it comes to VA and AL.

Crooked media has 7 podcasts (8 if you consider Monday PSA and Thursday PSA as different due to different hosts). Of those , only one has a non-white host. I don't see how you go "bunch of white guys" and then hold crooked media as the example.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

joepinetree posted:

Crooked media has 7 podcasts (8 if you consider Monday PSA and Thursday PSA as different due to different hosts). Of those , only one has a non-white host. I don't see how you go "bunch of white guys" and then hold crooked media as the example.

You might be a redneck neoliberal when

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

psa is hate listening for the weak. only the strongest can handle hate listening to the slate political gabfest.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

psa is hate listening for the weak. only the strongest can handle hate listening to the slate political gabfest.

I listen to that! I turn it off in a rage far less than PSA, but maybe that's because they aren't claiming to be leftists. Slate's Trumpcast and the 538 podcast too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I listen to that! I turn it off in a rage far less than PSA, but maybe that's because they aren't claiming to be leftists. Slate's Trumpcast and the 538 podcast too.

I couldn't finish the recent ross douthat episode of the gabfest it was too much even for me.

PSA doesn't really claim to be leftist does it? they're more mouthpiece for the progressive establishment, which doesnt bother me as much as when David Plotz goes off on some riff about trusting the police.

Worst parts of PSA are the ads and every time they try to be like chapo.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My favorite moment in PSA history was when they casually dropped that one of the reasons Obama gave up on eliminating the private jet tax exemption* was that democratic donors got super upset. Something that they simply dropped when mentioning how hard it was getting rid of deductions, and at no point ever mentioned again when discussing issues with the democratic party.

*I am not talking about the tax exemption in the current republican proposal, but the one where companies are able to deduct expenses with private jets as security expenses.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 20, 2017

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think my favorite PSA moment was right after the election when Mnuchin was nominated, and one of them said "maybe we should've prosecuted some of these guys so they wouldn't have cabinet appointments in the next admin." and the rest of the host kinda morosely say "yeah..." before moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
It was cool when Glenn Greenwald was on pod save the world and said some extremely basic anti-imperialism 101 stuff along the lines of "the US can't really claim moral authority on an international stage when they're the only country doing things like Vietnam and Iraq" and the lanyard guy was somehow totally thrown and was like "huh good point, I hadn't thought about it like that. Moving on..."