Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Didn't they outsource the development of the netcode? Or am I wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
They outsourced the development of the game.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Given the boasts of 120hz gameplay, you'd think gameplay and rendering would be decoupled. Guess not.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
netcode's passable until my girlfriend uses the wifi to log into facebook and then it becomes a completely unplayable rubberbandfest. :wtc:

...and this is still a major improvement from the open beta. still not playing more than a couple matches a day to get my dailies though as the risk of domestic strife is too high.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Keep your girlfriend until they patch this game into a better one. Hopefully without the goofiness.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Let's hope so.

I'm really rooting for this game to succeed, not just because it's Quake and I have terminal nostalgia sickness but also it's one of the least abusive f2p business models I've seen in a while.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really do love this game and that can't even be from misplaced nostalgia since I've never played Quake 3. I'm just sad to see its current state and how badly they seem to have bungled this "early access" nonsense.

Here's hoping they can pull it together because its probably the only online shooter besides pubg that I genuinely like.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Same. Games fun as poo poo, just more people need to be playing. Does we wanna organize a TDM/Sacrifice in-house night?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I still play almost daily, no need to organize, just queue for Team Deathmatch. I promise we'll see each other xD

Quick edit: If you haven't played in a while, the most important thing to know is that the lightning gun is rear end now, so much so that the heavy machinegun and nailgun are now useful

It's a good game, I like it https://clips.twitch.tv/KawaiiTacitIcecreamPermaSmug

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 25, 2017

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
My main issue is still the lack of maps, gets pretty boring playing the same 2 or 3 maps in DM over and over.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'd love to see way more maps than what's in the game right now.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Quick edit: If you haven't played in a while, the most important thing to know is that the lightning gun is rear end now, so much so that the heavy machinegun and nailgun are now useful

Nailgun and heavy MG needed more love.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I think we should remove all maps that aren't Blood Covenant

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Ban Blood Covenant and release bikini packs for five bux, give toggle options to centre weapons and character announcer packs. I know what I'm talking about.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
oh hey, you get a 'terror billy' skin for bj if you buy wolfenstein 2.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

patch notes posted:

‘Netcode’ / Performance

Fix for random miss-hits for players that have a big difference in fps
Further bandwidth optimization – reduced client upload data
Fixed spikes on warmup that caused champions jittering (this is something we strive to improve atm)

Functionality

Adjusted DOOM Slayer & B.J. Blazkowicz’s hitboxes so they should take damage on shots fired between their legs
Fixed issue when correct ping was showed only to current player
Fixed issue when B.J. Blazkowicz’s guns could misfire while in active ability
Fixed issue when Clutch shield not blocking properly
Fixed issue when enemy’s markers persisted on the death screen
Fixed issue with tutorial videos not playing
Fixed issue when the power-up effects would appear in the level away from the power-up spawn location

Art

‘Terror-Billy’ skin clipping issues improved

good poo poo

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah it’s good to see some bandaids for the Doom Slayer bullshit. To be honest I’m pretty bored with the game though. I think I’m going to need the new hitboxes and maybe a new map or two to drag me back. I played some Quake Live the other day and it kind of made me realize how much is still missing in Champions. I’m keeping the faith though.

Also I want rockets back to their original speed. Right now they are just too good.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The Clutch shield really needed mixing. It was bullshit when you could just get shot through it when actively when blocking.

Again, the game still doesn't feel complete. Too few maps. Ofcourse, it's stuck to the servers and who the hell knows how long it'll stay alive. Again, once I get my new rig I'll get right back in.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Decided to toss a few bucks at the Quake Champions comic. The first issue is essentially a cliffnotes-version of Quake, told between panels of Ranger clowning on other characters and staring at his photo keepsake. Couple things of note:

-Despite his wacky armor, Ranger apparently hails from modern-day USA, with Polaroid cameras and backyard barbecues.

-Keeping with id tradition, Ranger without his gear looks an awful lot like the Doomguy and BJ.

-99% sure that the unannounced character DeathKnight shows up in one of the flashback panels, surrounded by shamblers with his back to the reader and holding a nailgun.

-Rocket jumps look absolutely stupid outside a videogame format.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was a developer stream where they announced a bunch of stuff.

Coming in December:
  • Ranked play, starting with Duels
  • Teammate outlines
  • More sliders to adjust music volume in different situations (endgame, ingame etc.)
  • 40+ options for custom crosshairs
  • Little thirdperson animations upon first spawn (or spawning after changing champ). Won't be vulnerable until you enter first-person view.
  • New champion!
  • New duel map, "Veil of Pnath" that uses the same visual theme as Lockbox.
  • Health stacks all getting increased + more potential armor pickups, to lengthen time-to-kill and emphasise map control
  • More lenient hitboxes
  • Anarki's max speed will be cut down slightly when moving normally, but can reach max speed when injecting
  • Doom Slayer's berserk lockup range is reduced
  • BJ getting a higher rate of fire
  • Gauntlet range reduced by 25%, "fires" less frequently
  • LG more reliable, without wriggling exploit
  • FPS-dependant firing rates fixed
  • Selected starting weapon will be saved for future matches
  • Data center choice will be saved

Coming in later updates:
  • 2v2 ranked modes
  • Instagib!
  • Prototyping other types of duels - 1 champ, 3 champs, life limits etc.
  • Want to change lore system to an endgame reward. Still want the pots to do something though...
  • Revamp of runes system for better rewards and less lovely challenges
  • Removing "blanket-type" hitboxes for a more flexible system.
  • Tribolt getting "rounded out" as an area-of-denial weapon
  • CTF is an important goal for 2018, currently being prototyped and maps being built

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Where's my fukken 'classic mode

Also when's Dangerous Dave coming

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ChickenHeart posted:

Where's my fukken 'classic mode

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
got this in humble knowing nothing about it other than i used to love quake.

fire it up, oh look i can be quake guy of wolfenstein guy. i guess i can't access anything else cause i havent paid for it. thats cool, its just aesthetic, right?

takes over three minutes to find a game. get in, i know im poo poo but im hitting guys and seeing numbers but theyre not dying. im dying. a lot.

persist for half an hour with only one frag to a million deaths. i know im poo poo at games but come on.

weapons are piss weak and unsatisfying. theirs dont seem to be. oh wait i can buy this poo poo?

looks like i only start with enough in game cash to buy the cheapest loot box. i get.... a pair of pants.

quit. uninstall.

seriously?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

takes over three minutes to find a game. get in, i know im poo poo but im hitting guys and seeing numbers but theyre not dying. im dying. a lot.

persist for half an hour with only one frag to a million deaths. i know im poo poo at games but come on.
It can take a bit to get your eye in if you haven't played an arena shooter in a long time. Hit up the tutorial and get a feel for how each gun works. It might also be worth starting a Private Match by yourself to get a feel for how to navigate a map and where everything is - area control is important!

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

weapons are piss weak and unsatisfying. theirs dont seem to be. oh wait i can buy this poo poo?
Weapon purchase stuff is just cosmetic skins. Y'ain't gonna do more damage because you have racing stripes on your shotgun.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

got this in humble knowing nothing about it other than i used to love quake.

fire it up, oh look i can be quake guy of wolfenstein guy. i guess i can't access anything else cause i havent paid for it. thats cool, its just aesthetic, right?

looks like i only start with enough in game cash to buy the cheapest loot box. i get.... a pair of pants.

quit. uninstall.

seriously?

Lol.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

The Kins posted:

It can take a bit to get your eye in if you haven't played an arena shooter in a long time. Hit up the tutorial and get a feel for how each gun works. It might also be worth starting a Private Match by yourself to get a feel for how to navigate a map and where everything is - area control is important!
Weapon purchase stuff is just cosmetic skins. Y'ain't gonna do more damage because you have racing stripes on your shotgun.

this is good. are their any clear advantages that are paywalled or is it all cosmetic/hats stuff? i see people bitching about the various champions.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Champions have different stats, movement, abilities. You can forgo buying cosmetics to rent them. You are likely to obtain at least one from free reliquaries as you leveled but the odds it is your preferred champion are low.

Other than that the only purchasable advantage is some weapon skins are centered and none of those are free. You can sell other free cosmetics to buy them but if you are renting champions that may take a while. It's not clear that a centered LG is an advantage rather than a preference, anyway.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
these videos might help refresh you if you've been out of the game for a long while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ01vPGVQYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7YyXn8JBgw

...and a playlist where he explains the individual champions.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68VYkgf7Mt2cpGTXcXsW5rYCpZRBV1pF

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

this is good. are their any clear advantages that are paywalled or is it all cosmetic/hats stuff? i see people bitching about the various champions.

you can 'rent' champions with 'favor' (a currency you get for simply playing) and every time you rank up you get free loot which gives you the chance of permanently unlocking one (or more likely some cosmetic fluff). if you do your daily challenges and aren't particularly bothered about cosmetics you'll have plenty of favor for renting champions.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
real helpful stuff, appreciate it. but this:

Jose Mengelez posted:

you can 'rent' champions with 'favor' (a currency you get for simply playing) and every time you rank up you get free loot which gives you the chance of permanently unlocking one (or more likely some cosmetic fluff). if you do your daily challenges and aren't particularly bothered about cosmetics you'll have plenty of favor for renting champions.

so ive already bought the game but if I want more than two characters i gotta pay more? or I can rent them? lol

its real fuckin sad to open a modern game and be met with a storefront

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
You get all characters if you buy the game. Renting is for the f2p crowd.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

real helpful stuff, appreciate it. but this:

so ive already bought the game but if I want more than two characters i gotta pay more? or I can rent them? lol

its real fuckin sad to open a modern game and be met with a storefront

You technically didn't buy the game. You were given a champion from the humble bundle. This is a marketing strategy to get you into the game to play and have fun, similar to the giveaways twitch prime does every month with other games.

And yes, you can buy more champions or spend the $30 for the full package which would cover all current and future champions.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
welp, my bad. after coming from bf2 ive started to expect the worst.

ill give it another go.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The game is not a lost cause, it's still good, it just desperately needs more stuff. Rough corners and edges, but still great.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Needs more maps more than anything IMO. Playing Campgrounds over and over and over is just boring after a while. UT04 had shitloads, probably over 100 spread over the different modes.

Whenever I play QC I'm playing Campgrounds and then burial chamber most of the time.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Needs more maps more than anything IMO. Playing Campgrounds over and over and over is just boring after a while. UT04 had shitloads, probably over 100 spread over the different modes.

Whenever I play QC I'm playing Campgrounds and then burial chamber most of the time.

I don't know -- Quake 2/3/Live had shitloads of great maps but everyone only ever played like the same 2 or 3 endlessly. The Counterstrike scene has always been like that, too.

So as much as I'd love to see cool new maps, I feel like it wouldn't be worth the effort for the developers because everybody would stick with Campgrounds.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
The two big things I want are Orbb and a competitive FFA format. I wouldn't say no to an updated version of q3dm17 (The Longest Yard) though.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Love Stole the Day posted:

I don't know -- Quake 2/3/Live had shitloads of great maps but everyone only ever played like the same 2 or 3 endlessly. The Counterstrike scene has always been like that, too.

So as much as I'd love to see cool new maps, I feel like it wouldn't be worth the effort for the developers because everybody would stick with Campgrounds.

This, a thousand times this. if you leave a community of fps players to it's own devices eventually a hivemind will form and it'll be 24/7 de_dust2/2fort/campgrounds till the eventual heat death of the universe.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The inability to just go to a different server on a whim / let those players self-segregate is a major dysfunction of the f2p model.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Matchmaking is fine idk what you're talking about :stare:

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

How the hell is CTF not in yet? God the amount of effort wasted on Sacrifice instead of just giving us CTF..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

amitlu posted:

How the hell is CTF not in yet? God the amount of effort wasted on Sacrifice instead of just giving us CTF..

Or freeze tag, or instagib, or any other dozen modes that appeal to casual players and would actually keep the game alive.

I jumped into do4m mp for what was meant to be 5 minutes to see if they ever changed anything and ended up in there for a few hours because it has a ton of modes it cycles through that I missed dearly.

edit:the reason i actually came into the thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyi-GsqzBcA&t=704s