Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Realm Synergy doesn't make enough of a difference to bother with if you've played for a while.

Just jam all that 5* non element boost poo poo in the vault.

150 slots is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Pretty sure I have 150 accessories alone with various elemental and status resistances. I'll vault other stuff, but I just can't be bothered to vault and unvault accessories when there are so few options to sort them there.

I'm with the "a few mythril are worth my sanity" crowd on that front. 370 inventory slots here, and that's gives me about 40 slots to play with after keeping my various +element gear, 6* items of various types, a few pieces of my best armor for each category, and accessories.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

354/360 Slots used in Global and . . . 456 of 460 in JP.

Probably should go through and vault all that 5*, non-+Element gear that I never equip even for synergy but . . . :effort:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Realm Synergy doesn't make enough of a difference to bother with if you've played for a while.

Just jam all that 5* non element boost poo poo in the vault.

150 slots is enough.

Actually it does and that's part of the problem. I have a ton of stuff such that whenever I hit the Optimize button in just about any realm I have at least the weapon slot filled with a synergy weapon.

I've got some time today to give this sorting method a shot. Only problem is that it conflicts with all this Shinra farming I'm doing :v:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

For the Sealion fight, would I be better off bringing Celes with her BSB1 and a full dive, or Galuf with his en-fire SSB and some fire monk skills? I have OK in my party already for his BSB, which makes the boost from Celes' redundant, but I'm not sure if she's still going to be putting up better numbers or not. She hits for about 16k with her CM1, and I don't really want to waste a bunch of major orbs if an enfired monk can't top that, because so far I think I can count the number of times I've used a monk for anything on one hand.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

For the Sealion fight, would I be better off bringing Celes with her BSB1 and a full dive, or Galuf with his en-fire SSB and some fire monk skills? I have OK in my party already for his BSB, which makes the boost from Celes' redundant, but I'm not sure if she's still going to be putting up better numbers or not. She hits for about 16k with her CM1, and I don't really want to waste a bunch of major orbs if an enfired monk can't top that, because so far I think I can count the number of times I've used a monk for anything on one hand.

16k is pretty lovely. Galuf will easily be able to beat that with Burning Rush, even without the enfire. Burning Rush has higher potency as well as a bonus to crit. Of course the problem is the amount of hones needed. What does the rest of your party look like?

e: this site is really handy for comparing damage on specific fights, it should probably be added to the OP

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 19, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

16k is pretty lovely. Galuf will easily be able to beat that with Burning Rush, even without the enfire. Burning Rush has higher potency as well as a bonus to crit. Of course the problem is the amount of hones needed. What does the rest of your party look like?

e: this site is really handy for comparing damage on specific fights, it should probably be added to the OP

Right now I'm using:

Ramza with Shout + USB, Affliction Break, Lifesiphon
Onion Knight with BSB, Meltdown, Chain Firaga
Celes with BSB1 and BSB2, Blazing Twinstrike, Protect
Shadow with BSB1, Smoldering Fire, Fire Veil
Yshtola with BSB and Wall, Ultra Cure, Shellga

Ramza, Celes, Shadow, and Yshtola are all fully dived. My other fire options would be Thancred with his BSB, Galuf with his enfire SSB and monk skills, or crappy stuff like Terra's enfire SSB. Thancred is a little tempting since he's got his imperil BSB, but that would probably require honing up another Smoldering Fire and ugh.

I'm not super thrilled about the idea of honing monk skills either since I never use them any other time, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I guess I could fully dive Vivi and bring him to trance-cast Meltdowns, but I was sorta waiting until my IX banner pulls to see if I snag anything for him before I commit, even though it seems like he's perfectly fine to dive without any relics at all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are you hitting the damage cap with Smoldering Fire? If not I'd suggest taking Thancred instead of Celes. That way most of your damage is magic, so you don't need Ramza for Shout anymore and you can have him spam his USB. Also give him Wrath instead of Lifesiphon. Give Protectga to Y'shtola and make sure she has Dr. Mog/Mako Might. For Thancred you only need enough hones to get his BSB off. If you give him Ace Striker/Battleforged, an R2 Fire Veil should be fine. Shadow will be your main damage dealer, so maybe consider crafting a second Smoldering Fire for him.

That's not great, but it's a start. You're either going to have to cough up more orbs or wait for better SBs I think.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Been threeish weeks since I last opened JP so clicked there a bit. Did the half off XI pull etc.

Account has 74 max stamina and 40 5*+ items. Out of those 40 twelve are 6*. That's about a 30% rate.

Ingus Earth Chain. Krile Fire Chain. WoL Holy Chain.
Terra UOSB.
Alphinaud, Prishe, Zeid, Firion, Yuffie2, Marche USB.
Firion, Maria OSB

Three god drat chains and six USBs.

This seems completely unreasonable.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Been threeish weeks since I last opened JP so clicked there a bit. Did the half off XI pull etc.

Account has 74 max stamina and 40 5*+ items. Out of those 40 twelve are 6*. That's about a 30% rate.

Ingus Earth Chain. Krile Fire Chain. WoL Holy Chain.
Terra UOSB.
Alphinaud, Prishe, Zeid, Firion, Yuffie2, Marche USB.
Firion, Maria OSB

Three god drat chains and six USBs.

This seems completely unreasonable.

This is likely confirmation bias but part of the reason I have kept playing JP is because I am continuously, absurdly lucky in my pulls. Other folks can do with that info as they will. If nothing else Schwartzcough stands as a very strong counter example.

Never seen anybody get so constantly and consistently screwed in one of these games. :smith:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Hello friends, I took a nice long break from this game and now am trying to get back into it for a while.

What are the best banners coming up to dump all my current Mythril on? (I have 125 or so- edit: actually 161).

I haven't spent serious time/energy/money focusing on this game in at least six months, probably closer to a year, so I know I've missed a lot and not sure where to start.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Next weeks FFX banner is worth considering as is the upcoming FFIII and FFT banners. I'd wait till after black friday though as people seem to think we'll get a banner then and no one knows what exactly it will be yet. Also we might be getting a festival in december so try to keep some extra mythril for that.

Also I don't recommend pulling on the current FFIV banner but omg Kain USB into OSB is so, so sweet and almost justifies the stubbornness I had when pulling on it. Like I knew it was a terrible idea but I kept mashing that another 11 pull button until I got the right disco ball.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

IllegallySober posted:

Hello friends, I took a nice long break from this game and now am trying to get back into it for a while.

What are the best banners coming up to dump all my current Mythril on? (I have 125 or so- edit: actually 161).

I haven't spent serious time/energy/money focusing on this game in at least six months, probably closer to a year, so I know I've missed a lot and not sure where to start.

In addition to what Ybrik stated, keep in mind that the new highest level content (and for the foreseeable future) is Magicites. Your parties will need elemental coverage to beat them so you want to start assembling separate teams that can do Earth, Water, Fire, Lightning, Ice, Wind, Holy and Dark damage. Try and look at which of these elements where you are weak.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Incidentally that's also where the X event comes in, since it's completely loving stacked in water tools. Similarly, the upcoming Tactics Advance banners are stacked in Holy.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man it's hard to decide who to legend dive.

Is it crazy to consider diving a second ninja? I already have Shadow fully dived, and seeing him double-cast ninja magic for 40k on magicites makes a second doublecaster very tempting, but that might be overkill, I dunno. The motes are still so limited that I feel like I should probably diversify more, right now.

I'm probably going to dive Vivi regardless, but I'm waiting for the IX banner to see if I get anything for him. Then there's Beatrix, since I have her BSB, but I'm not sure if that alone is enough to justify it. Doublecasted Guardbringers look so good, though. I've seen people advocate for diving Shelke even with no relics just for entrust botting, and with magicite being the end-game right now that's not the craziest thing in the world, I guess.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Ybrik posted:

Next weeks FFX banner is worth considering as is the upcoming FFIII and FFT banners. I'd wait till after black friday though as people seem to think we'll get a banner then and no one knows what exactly it will be yet. Also we might be getting a festival in december so try to keep some extra mythril for that.

Got it. Thanks!

saltylopez posted:

In addition to what Ybrik stated, keep in mind that the new highest level content (and for the foreseeable future) is Magicites. Your parties will need elemental coverage to beat them so you want to start assembling separate teams that can do Earth, Water, Fire, Lightning, Ice, Wind, Holy and Dark damage. Try and look at which of these elements where you are weak.

Good to know. At least when I left, I was set on Holy/Dark/Fire, okay on Water, and not great on the rest. I'll start putting some of those together but I know there's a lot for me to do before Magicites still :)

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Incidentally that's also where the X event comes in, since it's completely loving stacked in water tools. Similarly, the upcoming Tactics Advance banners are stacked in Holy.

Cool, I'll maybe throw a pull at the X banner and vice Tactics a pass then.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

IV-1 is probably the best overall banner in a while and until FFTA.

Ceodore's USB is great as long as you accept that not everything is magicites. +holy sword.

Kain USB is top tier lit damage on a +lit spear.

Kain OSB is an OSB and the are good.

Tellah BSB has a USB tier entry on top of a Burst mode.

Kain BSB is good. Enlit and utility commands. Bring the actual damage with abilities. +lit spear.

Ceodore's BSB is a great dps/heal hybrid SB.

Edward BSB is an incredible support BSB. 50% atk, imperil holy. Dual break commands. Yes please.

Ceodore's LMR is weird. Okay, this is not very useful.

Tellah LMR is good.

Kain LMR is good/great.

Edward SSB is great. Sage buff+quickcast offensive magic 3 for the team.

Tellah SSB is great. 30/30 and party instant cast 1.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ceodore's LMR is weird. Okay, this is not very useful.

As someone who 100-gemmed it, I can safely say that Cover LMs (Ceodore LMR, Cecil/Basch LM2) are actually quite good in the circumstances, but you have to plan around them.

They work incredibly nicely when paired up with, say, Gaffgarion's Lv99 RM.

(They also maybe aren't the best idea against enemies with status effects, as Reddit demonstrates.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 20, 2017

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I will always pull on FFIV banners until the end of time.

Too bad being a SSB, the Rune Claws are woefully outdated.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're going to start phasing out SSBs soon aren't they? I noticed that current JP banners don't have any.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Was hoping for some Golbez/Rydia mage gear, got their LMRs and too many Yang/Ursula claws.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

They're going to start phasing out SSBs soon aren't they? I noticed that current JP banners don't have any.

The first non-fest banner with no SSBs is the Onion USB banner, but that's an exception. There's still 1 or 2 on every banner for a while still. They're not completely phased out until the IX event with Beatrix/Freya USBs that's a couple months out. That was the first event after 3rd anniversary fest in JP.

Boogaloo Shrimp fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 20, 2017

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Pulled, got Rydia's OSB and Ursula's LM, so I thought, I'll pull again because those would be more useful with some other equipment for those characters.
Dupe OSB and Golbez's BSB.
I really like Golbez's, so having something for him is nice, but so far I've gotten four LMs and they're all for people who don't have any SBs.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

The first non-fest banner with no USBs is the Onion USB banner, but that's an exception. There's still 1 or 2 on every banner for a while still. They're not completely phased out until the IX event with Beatrix/Freya USBs that's a couple months out. That was the first event after 3rd anniversary fest in JP.

After tonight's pulls I'll be glad, Outside of a few I really don't have much of a need for SSBs unless they are used to boost BSBs/USBs/OSBs, or are Shout.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ive got the itch to pull but after my last was 6/11 i feel like i am destined for disappointment. also theres maybe a new banner tomorrow night and what if i want to pull on that instead!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ugh of all the bosses to chose for the Jumpstart.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

The first non-fest banner with no USBs is the Onion USB banner

:thunk:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'm okay with this. Would have preferred Ursula BSB more than either of these. This and Rydia OSB leave me wanting her USB...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Grr, JSB Rubicante keeps throwing his cape up at the worst possible times. Is there any timing to it or just random?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
In term of usable bursts, my draw was horrible.

Rydia LMR
Dupe Golbez BSB
Ursula SSB

On the other hand I now have a 6* +dark staff and a set of +water armor so I'm not actually mad at all. It is going to be a little creepy how Edge will be wearing Rydia's clothes everywhere though.

(And yes, I know last stand chakra isn't bad, but I have those effects already on characters who I also have other support for, so Ursula is left out in the cold)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bruceski posted:

Grr, JSB Rubicante keeps throwing his cape up at the worst possible times. Is there any timing to it or just random?

According to Reddit the AI is something like "if HP > 80% on fifth turn, cloak for 2 turns, if HP < 80% on fifth turn, cloak for 4 turns on SIXTH turn". So turn six, unless you're just dealing no damage at all.

I absolutely slam-dunked him in the JS last time, though. Try an all-out offense approach if you have some good Water/Ice options? Like I'm 99% sure I melted him down with Tidus and Squall before he cloaked once.

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Tried three pulls on this..
Pull 1: 1/11 Yang BSB. Not a dupe, this is fine!
Pull 2: 2/11 Ursula LMR X2. Well, nice LMR, she'd be a solid pick when we get the No SB battles with that.
Pull 3: 2/11 Yang BSB, Yang SSB (Both dupes). dammit.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Hey you mugs im back

What I miss after rage quitting about a year ago? I see this raids thing and im already overwhelmed

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Barbarricia's battle says she has amnesia and something about an aerial battle? What is that all about?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Shoenin posted:

Hey you mugs im back

What I miss after rage quitting about a year ago? I see this raids thing and im already overwhelmed

Multiplayer, magicite (currently the hardest content in the game, locked behind the Nightmare dungeons), probably USBs (generally the next evolution of SSBs, with more effects, and for DPS are usually designed to work with one or two particular 5* abilities for maximum effect). Crystal Tower is becoming a thing, where you have to come up with a different team for each of 4 high-difficulty bosses (you can reuse abilities, equipment, RMs, etc; just not characters). We're getting more torment dungeons slowly but surely - they may be new to you entirely, I can't remember when they started.

The game is shifting away from BSBs to ability meta with 5* abilities; we're a few weeks away from a big ability buff that turns most 5* abilities into 4-hit ones, often with boosted damage multipliers. The magicite and omni-resist bosses (except for one or two weaknesses) is also pushing the game in a direction that wants you to have a "team" for every element.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
what is witch and how good is 4* Witch

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shoenin posted:

what is witch and how good is 4* Witch

An unnecessary addition and not very.

It's like Black Magic, but with worse multipliers on its abilities and no ability tweaks in the next six months (I don't think there's a single Witch ability getting an update in the upcoming-in-Global ability revamp and I can't think of any new Witch spells upcoming either).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Prism posted:

An unnecessary addition and not very.

It's like Black Magic, but with worse multipliers on its abilities and no ability tweaks in the next six months (I don't think a single Witch ability gets an update in the upcoming-in-Global ability revamp).

I use 4* witch magic a ton because if you can max out the damage with various buffs and +element gear you end up with chain blizzaga except fast. And removing the delay can make 5* witch magic pretty good.

Lulu is my solo DPS against Fenrir and the only things she does are 4* and 5* witch abilities and her USB.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pander posted:

I use 4* witch magic a ton because if you can max out the damage with various buffs and +element gear you end up with chain blizzaga except fast. And removing the delay can make 5* witch magic pretty good.

Lulu is my solo DPS against Fenrir and the only things she does are 4* and 5* witch abilities and her USB.

I'm surprised!

Sudden Freeze (4*) is 2x 2.6, for a total of 5.2. Abyssal Shards (5*) is 6x 1.35 with a long cast time, total of 8.1. Chain Blizzaga is 2x 5.9 (now), for a total of 11.8 - more than twice as powerful as Sudden Freeze (though one is 4* and one is 5* so you expect a power difference), and still significantly better than Abyssal Shards.

I suppose if you're capping, Sudden Freeze looks a little better - but soon, Chain Blizzaga will be doing 4x 2.95 instead, so if you can't cap Sudden Freeze you probably can't cap Chain Blizzaga either, and if you're not using fast cast of some sort Abyssal Shards' long cast time is miserable (and still does less damage per cast than Chain Blizzaga).

If Witch is anything but a generally inferior black magic I can't really see it. I don't think that Quick Cast 1 on the 4* makes up for it and I'm not willing to hone two sets of spells up for the few elements Witch covers.

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Prism posted:

I'm surprised!

Sudden Freeze (4*) is 2x 2.6, for a total of 5.2. Abyssal Shards (5*) is 6x 1.35, total of 8.1. Chain Blizzaga is 2x 5.9 (now), for a total of 11.8 - more than twice as good as Sudden Freeze, and still significantly better than Abyssal Shards.

I suppose if you're capping, Sudden Freeze looks a little better - but soon, Chain Blizzaga will be doing 4x 2.95 instead, so if you can't cap Sudden Freeze you probably can't cap Chain Blizzaga either, and if you're not using fast cast of some sort Abyssal Shards' long cast time is miserable (and still does less damage per cast than Chain Blizzaga).

If Witch is anything but a generally inferior black magic I can't really see it. I don't think that Quick Cast 1 on the 4* makes up for it.

4* Witch is absolutely the best way for most black mages with it to build gauge against ice/lightning weak bosses or neutral bosses. It's not Wrath/Lifesiphon, but few things are. If you need your SBs in order to apply buffs/do damage/etc then it still has a niche.

5* Witch is trash garbage except for building up chain multipliers, and even then it probably loses out to Chain -gas after buffs.

• Locked thread