Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Do exp bonuses stack? Like if I have a traded refresh boosted pokemon and roto exp booster, do they all work or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

someone awful. posted:

Do exp bonuses stack? Like if I have a traded refresh boosted pokemon and roto exp booster, do they all work or what

They always have in the past

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Should I be worried about my event Rockruff evolving into the Midday/Midnight form or is it just locked to Dusk?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The guy who battles you after you complete the water trial weirdly bummed me out

Rainy days are the best... no one can see your tears in the rain :smith:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Shneak posted:

Should I be worried about my event Rockruff evolving into the Midday/Midnight form or is it just locked to Dusk?

As long as it has Own Tempo, it'll evolve into the Dusk form. Also any Rockruff bred from the Event Rockruff should also have Own Tempo so they should also eventually become Dusk Lycranroc as well.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Crosspeice posted:

It sucks that GF eased us in with sequels and then remakes, so we didn't see the enhanced version making a comeback. I hope it's the last one they ever do, cause they just suck, this is absolutely what SM needed to be to begin with.
Yeah, this. I absolutely don't think SM were bad games, but I'm only just past the first trial and USUM already feels way more fleshed out... in a lot of small ways it feels like they just didn't have time to add but always intended to put into SM. It's honestly a little bit insulting.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think the problem is that GF went !!!20th anniversary game!!! and overreached for their time limit of getting SM out in 2016. I still like SM better than XY though, even with the missing but Alola feels like one of the most fleshed out regions.

Pokemon Switch is probably going to be a bit rocky as GF’s first jump to new consoles (DP, XY) tend to be and it’s the first time the main team has made a console Pokemon game (and most of the people working there haven’t made a console game since the mid 90s at best).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I kind of get the impression it was a trial run to see if they could get a game out in just a year.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what's your favorite feature from ultra sumo that won't make it into the next game

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Basically I think it's dumb if someone jumps to 'pokemon is dead, gamefreak is incompetent', but I understand the disappointment. I'm fine bc I really really like Alola and buying the opposite version than I did in SM highlights the differences, but it's valid to be disappointed you got sold a rushed game, especially with the price involved.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Surprise! The shockingly short nightmare is over, as Pokemon Bank just updated with compatibility for USUM! You can go download the update right now by searching for bank from the eshop, but there's server maintenance ongoing until half past, apparently.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

what's your favorite feature from ultra sumo that won't make it into the next game
Poke Pelago.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manatee Cannon posted:

what features did it even add? just surfing?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't get the complaint that Sun and Moon were incomplete and rushed when that's the normal state for this franchise and, if anything, they showed it far less than X and Y who were blatant enough to have areas in the game you could interact with but never actually enter, several events that would never trigger and you could never get (hi, Eternal Flower Floette), and a completely random thing in that ghost woman that never actually meant anything. Or how Malva is apparently a Team Flare member but the game never does anything with her, which makes me think she was meant to have a bigger role but didn't.

It's like you people suddenly realized something Pokemon does since it began. Release games that, while not incomplete, could be made better, then release a better version.

I'm not saying this to discredit the complaints though: it's a lovely practice and I'd rather not have it, but saying that you're being insulted by this now, 21 years into the franchise, is really weird. Even moreso since it seems to be worldwide, considering Japan's reactions.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Does Bank now work with Gold/Silver too?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Manatee Cannon posted:

bottle caps, but at least I'm hoping that stupid funpark won't ever return because it was a major disappointment.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Does Bank now work with Gold/Silver too?

According to Serebii, yes.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PetraCore posted:

Poke Pelago.

I second this. I know it's faster to chain SOS Pokemon with items to EV train, but i'm generally lazy as gently caress and would rather just use Poke Pelago to train them while i'm asleep.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
You can also mass level pokes for dex completion with Pelago, though it's admittedly slow.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

They always have in the past

aight cool thanks, i wasn't sure

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't get the complaint that Sun and Moon were incomplete and rushed when that's the normal state for this franchise and, if anything, they showed it far less than X and Y who were blatant enough to have areas in the game you could interact with but never actually enter, several events that would never trigger and you could never get (hi, Eternal Flower Floette), and a completely random thing in that ghost woman that never actually meant anything. Or how Malva is apparently a Team Flare member but the game never does anything with her, which makes me think she was meant to have a bigger role but didn't.

It's like you people suddenly realized something Pokemon does since it began. Release games that, while not incomplete, could be made better, then release a better version.

I'm not saying this to discredit the complaints though: it's a lovely practice and I'd rather not have it, but saying that you're being insulted by this now, 21 years into the franchise, is really weird. Even moreso since it seems to be worldwide, considering Japan's reactions.

Gamefreak hasn’t done a 3rd version in generations so people have gotten used to it not being a thing and now they’ve realised they’re not a super amazing experience and are disappointed by it. It might even be worse with usum than something like Platinum since that improved a lot on an underwhelming gen while usum is following some really fun and well regarded titles.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think part of it was BW2 getting people’s hopes up. When USUM was revealed, there was a lot of wondering whether it was a sequel or an updated rerelease until the end, not helped by the complete lack of advertising of course. But I’ve seen multiple people both in this thread and outside of it who aren’t the type to obsessively gather every bit of news ask if the game is a sequel or not.

People probably would’ve been ok with USUM with some grumbling about making the third version paired if BW2 hadn’t made more of a new game with its updated rerelease and if XY had had one.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

what features did it even add? just surfing?

idk I don't own it but you can list regular sumo features instead if you want

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The development cycles have been the same as has been the norm since at least 2010.

2010: HG/SS
2011: Black/White
2012: Black 2/White 2
2013: X/Y
2014: ORAS
2015: Only year off this decade.
2016: SuMo.
2017: USUM

I guess it's possible Nintendo isn't taking into account the amount of extra work that goes into a 3D animated game so as a result the games are less feature complete.
It makes me almost hope that PokeSwitch doesn't come out until 2019.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was younger and stupider for earlier gens.

That said it's not like anyone is forced to get USUM if they don't want to. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

why even post this if youre not trying to discredit the complaints

anyway on the 'easy allies' podcast (idk what that is) they said they heard the switchmon is going to be "disruptive" in the spirit of botw or mario odyssey (i guess being a good mario game is 'disruptive' after the wii u one idk)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The WiiU mario was good, but it was very much in the vein of discrete levels and even had a level clock. Odyssey is incredibly open in comparison, moreso than any other Mario game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

3d world was better than oddessey

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

[stone cold steve austin voice] NEH-EHHHH

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

oddium posted:

3d world was better than oddessey

Nah. Movement was too stiff for a 3D game and really didn't feel great overall.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont really want the next game to be "disruptive" if it means making the franchise open world since pokemon is like one of nintendo's few properties that isn't about movement tech and navigating a giant world would just be boring

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Wait, can I evolve my own tempo rockruff any time for dusk form or at 5PM only?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aerofallosov posted:

Wait, can I evolve my own tempo rockruff any time for dusk form or at 5PM only?

Between 5 and 6 PM. It's bad.

I want to evolve mine now because Totem Marowak destroyed me and it may make the difference I need, but I can't because I need to evolve it at the real time of 5 AM since I'm playing on Ultra Moon. My usual routine - and I'm going to guess and say most people's routine - between 5 and 6 AM is sleeping.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just modify your clock.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Can't you just change your 3ds clock

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Some things I could see them do by moving to better hardware for Gen VIII the count as disruptive and wouldn't suck;

No more random encounters, Pokemon show up on the overworld and you run into them. If you get close to two it triggers a double battle etc.

You can register ride pokemon from your own collection (so you could use the default Tauros or register your Rhyhorn, Rapidash etc from a compatible pool).

Make pokemon have idle animations where they're feinting or circling their opponent in battle or at least not standing still.

Greater temporary terrain things in battle. Basically expand on the stuff in X/Y where certain moves could hit stuff in the backgrounds of the battle. So using surf could get berries out of a tree or knock down a stalagtite.

Go weirder with the vignettes: USUM are a really good start here.

Bring back following pokemon and vastly expand character creation and fashion. Let you put hats or other clothes on your Pokemon

Make the world generally more interactive. Give a bunch of pokemon abilities to overcome obstacles. Let pokemon who know ice moves able to freeze a bridge to get an item, or ones with flying or psychic able to grab an item out of reach.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 20, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bank update also adds compatibility with GSC.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i admit im biased toward pvp-related changes but tbh they could disrupt anything except the actual in-combat stuff and it'd probably be cool/fine. but the last thing i want is like a move toward action-RPG combat or things like that

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Manatee Cannon posted:

PetraCore posted:

Poke Pelago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

i admit im biased toward pvp-related changes but tbh they could disrupt anything except the actual in-combat stuff and it'd probably be cool/fine. but the last thing i want is like a move toward action-RPG combat or things like that

I agreed, thats why I was listing a bunch of changes that everyone would laud as 'disruptive' that wouldn't wreck the mechanical core of the franchise