Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

No more random encounters, Pokemon show up on the overworld and you run into them. If you get close to two it triggers a double battle etc.

I don't think this would work for Pokemon, where the randomness is absolutely a part of the game - not knowing what Pokemon will appear, or whether it'll be shiny, stuff like that. I feel random encounters are too much of a part of Pokemon to change for overworld ones.

quote:

Bring back following pokemon and vastly expand character creation and fashion. Let you put hats or other clothes on your Pokemon

I genuinely don't get how the latter didn't happen between XY and now with full 3D models. I expect it to happen next gen for sure. Also, I agree on expanding character creation and fashion, there's a lot more that could be done to make everyone visually distinct and unique, closer to the player. Let me choose hairstyles as soon as the game begins, for one, as well as hair/eye/skin colour without having to stick to predetermined ones.

quote:

Make the world generally more interactive. Give a bunch of pokemon abilities to overcome obstacles. Let pokemon who know ice moves able to freeze a bridge to get an item, or ones with flying or psychic able to grab an item out of reach.

I'm not sure if I agree with this one. It's basically character forcing, to get stuff you're forced to carry the Pokemon the game wants. In a game with the freedom of choice Pokemon has, that's pretty bad. Not HM-level bad, but bad.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Just modify your clock.

I would but the only thing about it I found says that it broke Roto Lotto and I'm scared to try it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Super No Vacancy posted:

why even post this if youre not trying to discredit the complaints

anyway on the 'easy allies' podcast (idk what that is) they said they heard the switchmon is going to be "disruptive" in the spirit of botw or mario odyssey (i guess being a good mario game is 'disruptive' after the wii u one idk)

Honestly the Alola games already feel pretty disruptive, especially with the little vignettes in USUM

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think Ultra SuMo would have been better received if it had been Stars or whatever, only one cartridge like emerald and platinum. Both of those refined and merged the cool stuff from the others.

This feels like double dipping. Black and White 2 made sense because it was significantly different, ie a sequel. These aren't quite different enough, and lots of people bought the steelbox for $90 or maybe higher.

I'm enjoying it anyway. Managed to wrangle a totem Marowak for a pikachu in my bank, a thunderstone, and 3 rare candies. Now I don't have to reset.

Best UsUm exclusive feature? Petting.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Changing your system clock doesn't affect Roto Loto, I did it on Friday since I wanted to catch a Murkrow but was too early and the Roto Loto works just fine for me

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
How does it break Roto loto? I usually got it after evolutions, and only recently figured out you could poke Rotom when his eyes are half closed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I love how the protagonist has a Switch and all the Skull grunts have WiiUs in Po town

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

just lol if you don't poke Rotom when his eyes are half-open, he looks super sad; ur a monster if you don't poke him every so often

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I just read the note in the trainer school about the girl getting picked up by a Hypno and a Drifloon and now I'm creeped out.

EDIT: Like is the implication that she never came back after going with the Drifloon? Teach your kids about stranger danger, pokeparents!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PetraCore posted:

I just read the note in the trainer school about the girl getting picked up by a Hypno and a Drifloon and now I'm creeped out.

EDIT: Like is the implication that she never came back after going with the Drifloon? Teach your kids about stranger danger, pokeparents!

Drifloon has always been a ghost that literally carries people off to eat their soul.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Zore posted:

I love how the protagonist has a Switch and all the Skull grunts have WiiUs in Po town

And Guzma's old room seems to have a Gamecube.
Which puts his age at his early to mid 20's presuming he left for the island challenge at age 11 like everybody else.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

sexpig by night posted:

Drifloon has always been a ghost that literally carries people off to eat their soul.
Duh. I mean I'm overthinking things. It took me a while to make the connection of her coming back after the Hypno but not the Drifloon.

Hypno just eats dreams, Drifloon eats souls. :)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ChrisBTY posted:

And Guzma's old room seems to have a Gamecube.
Which puts his age at his early to mid 20's presuming he left for the island challenge at age 11 like everybody else.

i think you've forgotten how long ago the gcn came out dude, he'd have a wii classic if he was early to mid 20s

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The White Dragon posted:

i think you've forgotten how long ago the gcn came out dude, he'd have a wii classic if he was early to mid 20s

The Gamecube's run was from 2001-2006.
This puts him between 22-27 years of age, or 21-26 if we're using SuMo's 2016 release instead.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

E: Ignore this I can't count

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Countblanc posted:

i dont really want the next game to be "disruptive" if it means making the franchise open world since pokemon is like one of nintendo's few properties that isn't about movement tech and navigating a giant world would just be boring

I've never really understood why people want Pokémon to be an open world game so badly when the bulk of Pokémon's game mechanics take place in a disconnected battle screen. The player character's also practically invincible and is inconvenienced by bodies of water, cliffs and those short ledges that other game characters could easily jump over. All of which makes it extremely boring for an open world-style game.

I also really despise the the idea of a Pokémon game with all the past regions in it, even though this is the "dream game" other people want. Game Freak has proven that they easily could make such a game, but choose not to since they're more interested in creating unique experiences for the player (which might explain why they introduce a new nifty game mechanic, only for it to be dropped in the following game).

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Nebby, get in the bag.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Nebby, get in the bag.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PetraCore posted:

You can meet up with that girl by visiting the school at night. Which you should probably do.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You can meet up with that girl by visiting the school at night. Which you should probably do.

I am, but I can't seem to see anything happening?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Ghost girls are like the single recurring feature in every Pokemon game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Aerofallosov posted:

I am, but I can't seem to see anything happening?

You need to talk to the kid at the mantine surf spot first.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Zore posted:

You need to talk to the kid at the mantine surf spot first.

Oh, thanks. Off I go to do other things, first!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm playing Ultra Moon in Japanese for practice and man is it ever a mixed bag of difficulty. It's a kid's game so the grammar hasn't been anything too difficult, but some of the slang and harder kanji are just miserable.

As for actual game stuffs, I'm still plugging along at the beginning with Litten, a Pikipek, and a Pichu. Pikipek's getting sidelined once I get into Hau'oli since it has a bad nature and there's other mons I want to use, the Dusk Rockruff and a ton of others found right in Hau'oli thankfully. The increased variety is really nice!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm playing Ultra Moon in Japanese for practice and man is it ever a mixed bag of difficulty. It's a kid's game so the grammar hasn't been anything too difficult, but some of the slang and harder kanji are just miserable.

As for actual game stuffs, I'm still plugging along at the beginning with Litten, a Pikipek, and a Pichu. Pikipek's getting sidelined once I get into Hau'oli since it has a bad nature and there's other mons I want to use, the Dusk Rockruff and a ton of others found right in Hau'oli thankfully. The increased variety is really nice!

The toucan was one of my biggest disappointments, final evolution-wise. For one, he looked mean instead of friendly.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Beachcomber posted:

The toucan was one of my biggest disappointments, final evolution-wise. For one, he looked mean instead of friendly.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I like his design, but he could definitely be friendlier. I named mine Toucan Sam, obviously, but Toucannon looks a lot less 'follow your nose' and a lot more 'go gently caress yourself.'

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Did anyone do the Ditto Five sidequest on the second island?

THEY ARE AMONG US

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I love Toucannon. Was definitely a strong team member when I played Sun and has a very nice movepool.

The best part is that Toucannon is just a toucan. Not a toucan made of fruit, or a toucan made of metal. Just a toucan. It's perfect. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm having a lot of fun with the Photo Club. Always gotta take post trial and post evolution photos. It's a fun little way to document my journey. :) I just can't figure out how to set different custom outfits for the photos.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He’s not just a toucan.

He’s an ANGRY toucan.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
So I'm coasting through Ultra Sun extremely easily with my team I bred up previously. Nothing poopsocky, I just brought over eggs. So far I'm running with Brionne, Alola Grimer, Alola Marowak, and Togedamaru and they're all working out fantastically. I'm really struggling to fill my last two slots. I brought over some pickup mons to fill slots in the mean time (big nuggets are awesome btw), but my team is heavily leaning physical at this point and I can't figure out what I want to run with for my last two slots. :shrug:

I was considering special swablu/altaria but they don't learn any special flying moves for some reason gamefreak. any suggestions?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Filthy Haiku posted:

So I'm coasting through Ultra Sun extremely easily with my team I bred up previously. Nothing poopsocky, I just brought over eggs. So far I'm running with Brionne, Alola Grimer, Alola Marowak, and Togedamaru and they're all working out fantastically. I'm really struggling to fill my last two slots. I brought over some pickup mons to fill slots in the mean time (big nuggets are awesome btw), but my team is heavily leaning physical at this point and I can't figure out what I want to run with for my last two slots. :shrug:

I was considering special swablu/altaria but they don't learn any special flying moves for some reason gamefreak. any suggestions?
Salazzle is a special attacker, and it gives you a fire type.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Did anyone do the Ditto Five sidequest on the second island?

THEY ARE AMONG US
For anyone looking at doing it, those are some really good Dittos that you should try and catch.

Most of them have good natures, some of them have 0 in some IVs and really high in others.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Carlosologist posted:

The guy who battles you after you complete the water trial weirdly bummed me out

Rainy days are the best... no one can see your tears in the rain :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvFYgELj2X0

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Filthy Haiku posted:

Vikavolt or Ribombee could be really good with that team and provide some good coverage. Goodra's pretty good too if you want a special-focused dragon. Or Drampa could be fun, he's surprisingly good ingame. Persian-A is really tanky and specially focused too.

Other fun special mons; Elgyem, Shiinotic, Ninetales-A and Amaura

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride

Zore posted:

Vikavolt or Ribombee could be really good with that team and provide some good coverage. Goodra's pretty good too if you want a special-focused dragon. Or Drampa could be fun, he's surprisingly good ingame. Persian-A is really tanky and specially focused too.

Other fun special mons; Elgyem, Shiinotic, Ninetales-A and Amaura

Oh man, Ninetails sounds a lot of fun now that I think about it. I was also considering Xatu, but now that you made me think of Drampa, thats another good one I haven't used.

Edit: Aw dink, I don't have snow warning on the one I have in moon. :(

Double Edit, i'm very good at posting: Okay wait so; I have a regular vulpix with drought. If I breed it with a Swinub; can I get an alola vulpix with Snow warning and freeze dry?

Filthy Haiku fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 20, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Filthy Haiku posted:

Double Edit, i'm very good at posting: Okay wait so; I have a regular vulpix with drought. If I breed it with a Swinub; can I get an alola vulpix with Snow warning and freeze dry?

No, regular forms only produce regular forms and alolan forms only produce Alolan forms.

I made some Snow Warning Freeze Dry Vulpixes for this thread last year and I could make another batch if people want them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Anyone remember who on melemele wants to see a Sableye? I remember being asked but now that i have one i of course forgot where.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride

ROFL Octopus posted:

No, regular forms only produce regular forms and alolan forms only produce Alolan forms.

I made some Snow Warning Freeze Dry Vulpixes for this thread last year and I could make another batch if people want them.

This isn't the case, I literally just bred a regular AND an Alolan Vulpix from the same smergle/reg Vulpix couple. If the non-alola parent is holding an everstone it will be the non-alola form.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Filthy Haiku posted:

This isn't the case, I literally just bred a regular AND an Alolan Vulpix from the same smergle/reg Vulpix couple. If the non-alola parent is holding an everstone it will be the non-alola form.

I just looked it up and you’re totally right, sorry :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
A new DYKG focused on Pokémon SM just went up and it's quite good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCrQTigS4wY