Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/932433142782222336

that seems light, but still a step forward for what a notoriously bad punisher the NHL is. I guess they are going with the "Radko Gudas is a dumbass, not murderous" line of thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Isn't 10 games the allowable maximum?

Also a bit delayed, but Tkachuk getting a game for instigating a line brawl is fine.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

72 games short of what it should've been

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

iospace posted:

Isn't 10 games the allowable maximum?

The only "maximum" is that a player offered a phone hearing can only be suspended for a maximum of 5 games. In an in-person hearing the sky is the limit, but anything over 6 games and the player can file an appeal.

JollyPubJerk posted:

72 games short of what it should've been

Agreed. Gudas is a shithead with a history and should have been gone longer.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

10 is pretty much the minimum I would have been OK with so... thanks for not completely screwing up, DOPS?

I would have shed no tears at 20+ games

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

"This... is slashing..."

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Rotten Cookies posted:

"This... is slashing..."

theres nothing in the rulebook for "attempted beheading" so

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

10 games is kind of a weird in between the "attempted murder" and "he was just getting his stick free" explanations

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Austin Watson also got 2 games for boarding some Av yesterday.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

fits posted:

theres nothing in the rulebook for "attempted beheading" so

The Iron Lotus.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Chris Simon got what 20 games for swinging his stick at Ryan Hollwegs head?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I know everyone was geared for the Flyers to have rookie defensemen this year, but man i don’t think we expected this many. I guess it’s trial by fire.

And on the time, Gudas is a repeat offender, so probably should have been more, but 10 games is pretty severe for NHL standards.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Levitate posted:

Chris Simon got what 20 games for swinging his stick at Ryan Hollwegs head?

25 games. He then got a 30 game suspension the next season for intentionally stepping on Jarko Ruutu's leg.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

25 games. He then got a 30 game suspension the next season for intentionally stepping on Jarko Ruutu's leg.

He was a crazy man / on a lot of drugs.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Marty McSorley is the winner. 23 games, plus the full next season, and an assault conviction. Still didn't go far enough imo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Austin Watson also got 2 games for boarding some Av yesterday.

I saw that hit. That was a bad one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Marty McSorley is the winner. 23 games, plus the full next season, and an assault conviction. Still didn't go far enough imo.

Billy Coutu was suspended for life from the NHL for attacking two refs. The suspension was listed after 2 1/2 seasons, but he's still (technically) the champ because he never played another game in the NHL. Todd Bertuzzi ended up suspended for an entire season, but it was the 2005-2006 lockout season. He wanted to play internationally but the IIHF wouldn't allow it. He also wound up with an assault conviction.

In terms of actual games suspended, McSorley is actually 5th on the list, with Raffi Torres (41), Chris Simon (30, 25) and Jesse Boulerice (25) with longer suspensions.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It is now time for everyone's favorite question:

Can Vegas sustain, still, because they're only a point behind the Kings for the division at the moment.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
Vegas is 4-5-1 since their hot 8-1 start so they've already been regressing to the mean for some time despite tonight's win. That said, the Pacific is not great and they can certainly compete for a playoff spot.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I doubt it and that might honestly be for the better.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Has Vegas finally managed to stop killing goalies?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

grack posted:

Which was 15 games for trying to harm Ruutu and 15 games for precipitating a Don Cherry meltdown so spectacular it made it into a Propagandhi song.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chuch posted:

Vegas is 4-5-1 since their hot 8-1 start so they've already been regressing to the mean for some time despite tonight's win. That said, the Pacific is not great and they can certainly compete for a playoff spot.

They were also playing a guy named Jeff that they found wandering the strip in net during most of that though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So Gudas gets twice as long as Keith got for elbowing the Canucks' cup window into oblivion? Cool.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

ThinkTank posted:

So Gudas gets twice as long as Keith got for elbowing the Canucks' cup window into oblivion? Cool.

yeah but you see if they suspended keith longer they would have had to suspend him for more playoff games, maybe even the whole first round, and is it fair for the rest of the blackhawks to lose their star defenseman like that??? what would i tell duncan??

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/IgorEronko/status/932618677954007040?s=17

what will have a higher quality of competition: the olympics, or the spengler cup

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Why is the KHL in on this?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Why is the KHL in on this?

Because Russia is mad that people caught their first big post cold war doping scheme and think this is a way to punish the IOC or something?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

grack posted:

Billy Coutu was suspended for life from the NHL for attacking two refs. The suspension was listed after 2 1/2 seasons, but he's still (technically) the champ because he never played another game in the NHL. Todd Bertuzzi ended up suspended for an entire season, but it was the 2005-2006 lockout season. He wanted to play internationally but the IIHF wouldn't allow it. He also wound up with an assault conviction.

In terms of actual games suspended, McSorley is actually 5th on the list, with Raffi Torres (41), Chris Simon (30, 25) and Jesse Boulerice (25) with longer suspensions.

I bow to your superior hockey knowledge :worship:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Russia is trying to influence how the IOC responds to a WADA report on doping.

This article has the basics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2017 is the year of governments openly interfering, we'll have to get used to it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AegisP posted:

Has Vegas finally managed to stop killing goalies?

Legace seems to be ok health wise, and Subban is back on the bench. Dansk and MAF are still on IR though MAF seems to be back at practice.

Chuch posted:

Their home ice advantage though is absolutely insane, though. They've only lost one game at home and that was the one MAF went down in. Then again, when you're trying to foster your home base, going being hot at home helps a ton.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Ginette Reno posted:

I saw that hit. That was a bad one.

Yeah, I must have wandered away from the TV when it happened but I just watched the player safety video and it is late and right in the numbers. Avs guy's first NHL game too I think :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hot takes contained therein, despite overall theme being correct

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/jack-todd-its-over-for-the-habs-and-possibly-bergevin-too/amp

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I wish I got paid to come up with half-assed nicknames for hockey players, moan about and belittle people who don't agree with me and then advocate seven figure salaries for friends of mine. That would be sweet.

The Canucks released Anton Rodin. Fare thee well sweet prince, you never played.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 20, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

“It was back in the old days,” Ovechkin said. “I was young. He was young. We grow oldies right now. It was a great date.”.

e: I forget that might be paywalled. There a few good quotes.

WashingtonPost posted:

Capitals rookie Jakub Vrana grew up in the Czech Republic, the country where Jaromir Jagr “was kind of a big deal,” he said.
All young, hopeful hockey players watched when Jagr played for the national team, when he played in Russia’s Kontinental
Hockey League and of course when he played in the NHL, where Jagr’s legendary career has spanned nine teams and 27 years.
When Vrana first saw Jagr, he simply admired his skill, his size, his smarts and the lethal combination of all three. And as
Vrana began his own path to becoming a professional hockey player, he naturally wondered what it would be like to play
against Jagr, never honestly believing it would happen. After all, Jagr had already played five NHL seasons by the time Vrana
was born.
“I didn’t know he was going to still play, right? He’s 45,” Vrana said.
Jagr was without an NHL contract until just days before the regular season, and then in his fifth game with the Calgary
Flames, he suffered an undisclosed “lower-body” injury, ruling him out the first time Calgary and Washington played each
other. But Jagr is back in the Flames’ lineup for Monday’s meeting between the two teams, marking a special chapter early in
Vrana’s career.
Sharing the ice with Jagr is a sort of rite of passage for this generation of players and some have vivid memories of their first
game against the player who sits second only to Wayne Gretzky in all-time NHL scoring with 1,914 points. Those tales help tell
the story of Jagr, too.
“I think everyone looks forward to playing him, even if you’ve played against him 20 times,” Capitals forward T.J. Oshie said.
“I think it’s still cool seeing him out there because he’s one of the greatest of all time.”
Before the 1989-90 season, the Flames went to Czechoslovakia for a portion of their training camp. Brian MacLellan was a 30-
year-old left wing on a Calgary team that was coming off a Stanley Cup championship. As the Flames surprisingly struggled in
those exhibitions against the Czechoslovakian national team, a 17-year-old Jagr — and his mullet — stood out for the
opposition.
“He wasn’t dominating like he turned out to be, but you remember the hair in the beginning and just the whole look,” said
MacLellan, now the Capitals’ general manager. “The hair thing, yeah. He’s got it going on.”
A year later, Pittsburgh drafted Jagr fifth overall, and he spent 11 years with the Penguins, scoring 439 goals and 640 assists in
806 games. The first time Jagr and MacLellan played in the NHL was Jagr’s rookie year, a January 1991 game between
Pittsburgh and Calgary. The Penguins won, 5-1, with Jagr assisting on the first goal and MacLellan scoring the only Flames
tally of the game.
“So, it was me and him going head-to-head, huh?” MacLellan cracked.
Jagr was traded to Washington in 2001, the start of a three-season tenure with the Capitals that went poorly for both parties.
Jagr failed to live up to the sky-high expectations – his point production dropped from 121 his last year in Pittsburgh to 79 and
then 77 points in his first two seasons with Washington – and he was traded to the New York Rangers halfway through the
2003-04 season.
Capitals defenseman Brooks Orpik was drafted by the Penguins in 2000, but he didn’t make his NHL debut until 2002, just
missing out on sharing a locker room with Jagr. However, other Pittsburgh players were eager to share stories about the
enigmatic Czech. “It kind of felt like you knew him a little bit,” Orpik said. The first time the two shared the ice was in a
preseason game between Jagr’s Capitals and Orpik’s Penguins.
“I remember I hit him pretty hard and I had [Capitals forward] Chris Simon chasing me around the rink,” Orpik said. “That
was being young and stupid and I kind of learned the hard way. Chris Simon, if you don’t know who he is, look him up. Scary
individual.”
Jagr and Washington captain Alex Ovechkin first played against each other during the 2004-05 lockout. Ovechkin had just
been drafted first overall by the Capitals, but with no NHL games that year, they were both playing in the Russian
Superleague, now known as the Kontinental Hockey League, or KHL.
“It was back in the old days,” Ovechkin said. “I was young. He was young. We grow oldies right now. It was a great date.”
Jagr played the next three seasons with the Rangers and finished second in Hart Trophy voting during the 2005-06 campaign,
when he had 54 goals and 69 assists. But Jagr’s production steadily declined over the next two years in New York. Defenseman
Matt Niskanen, then a rookie for the Dallas Stars, played him for the first time in November 2007, a 3-2 Dallas win that saw
Jagr score the first goal. The next season, he was back in the KHL, spending the next three years there.
“I remember him being on the ice and thinking, ‘Oh, wow,’” Niskanen said. “I had that moment where I was pretty amazed
that was really him and I was on the same ice.”
Jagr joined the Philadelphia Flyers when he returned to the NHL for the 2011-12 season. Oshie was in his fourth season with
the St. Louis Blues, and in his first game against Jagr, he was part of the forward trio that was charged with containing a then-
39-year-old Jagr. Oshie scored a goal and Jagr finished with a minus-one rating.
“Take that, Jagr,” Oshie said with a grin.
“He looks big on TV, but when you actually get out there against him, it is impossible to take the puck from him,” Oshie
continued. “He’s so big and so smart and it’s so amazing seeing a guy with that size be able to do things he’s able to do. It was
cool.”
Over the next five seasons, Jagr bounced around to four different teams before landing in Calgary this year. The longevity of
his career has created a mythical air around him, a sort of bridge between generations of NHLers. He’s still an active player
and also one of the greatest the league has ever seen.
“I can see that even from young guys on other teams, that there’s some respect there,” Flames Coach Glen Gulutzan said. “And
there should be.”
Though Jagr wasn’t Vrana’s favorite player growing up – that honor belongs to Slovak Ziggy Palffy – Vrana thinks he’ll still
appreciate the moment, that one day he’ll be able to tell the story of the first time he played against Jaromir Jagr.
“It will be for sure nice feeling to see him [for] real and on the ice,” Vrana said. “I think it will be a little bit special for me, too.”

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 20, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeHeika/status/932661669351837699

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Legace seems to be ok health wise, and Subban is back on the bench. Dansk and MAF are still on IR though MAF seems to be back at practice.

Their home ice advantage though is absolutely insane, though. They've only lost one game at home and that was the one MAF went down in. Then again, when you're trying to foster your home base, going being hot at home helps a ton.

Also, the opposing players are potentially hungover from a night of drinking and gambling.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

gently caress jack todd, i'm not reading that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/nnstats/status/932646812003065856

COMMENCE ARGUMENTS :munch:

• Locked thread