Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yup. Why tell two great stories in two different movies when you can tell two stories badly at the same time?

Like, the weird thing about BvS is that the movie does things just to do things, all the loving time, like a crazy person on meth. Batman is old (sort of) in BvS because Batman is old in the most famous story where Batman fought Superman, but Batman's age doesn't really mean much and doesn't have anything like the enormous thematic weight it had in DKR; the iconic comics panel showed an older man in a mecha-suit fighting Superman, so gently caress you, that's what's happening.

Batman is old because he's been doing this poo poo for a long time with diminished returns and came to the conclusion that he's gotta step it up and start branding criminals, which leads to Superman mistrusting The Batman. His age is brought up many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

I really wish Michael Rosenbaum could have played Flash.

I really wish Michael Rosenbaum could have played Lex. He was the best part of Smallville.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

JT Smiley posted:

Thor opened up two weeks ago and made serious bank. November has nothing to do with it.

November has a lot to do with the multiplier.
X-O was saying a x3 multiplier is highly unlikely (which it probably is), and I was conceding the point. But if JL has been a July release then a leggy run would be far more plausible.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Super Dan posted:

I really wish Michael Rosenbaum could have played Lex. He was the best part of Smallville.

I just binged American Horror Story: Cult with my wife. Evan Peters for Lex Luthor if you want to give it to a younger looking guy. The writing helps, but man can he be good when his material and characters have some dimension to them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just gotten back from seeing Justice League, I went in with very low expectations and so they were exceeded. Pretty much everything that could be said about that movie has already been said. I thought that the Flash wasn't used well, Aquaman was a bit nothing and I wasn't a fan of the costumes. Steppenwolf wasn't terrible but I think could have been made to look like a bigger threat. Also question half related to the film Are you allowed to wear hoodies in US prisons?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know if it still is but for a while it was their highest rated show.

It has to be if it's 90% of what they show. If one show airs at 7 in the morning once a week on Saturday, and one show airs next to 24 hours a day every day of the week then the later show is going to be higher rated.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Probably if they had had more interesting villain than a guy with a big axe that never has anything to say other than I Kill you! Why not have him with some other New Gods? Give the JL the Furies to fight.

muscles like this! posted:

They were already saying Cyborg wasn't getting a solo movie and would just team up with the Flash.

Yea, that seems like a good bet based on what they did in the movie, but if the Flash movie is in limbo as much as people have said, I could see it being retooled into a Flash and Cyborg buddy movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

twistedmentat posted:

Probably if they had had more interesting villain than a guy with a big axe that never has anything to say other than I Kill you! Why not have him with some other New Gods? Give the JL the Furies to fight.

Man this would have been cool :rip:

And yeah, 96 million domestic opening weekend for JL is pretty grim for what was supposed to be a blockbuster tentpole. drat. I'm sure world wide total gross will be respectable, but nowhere near what it should have gotten. I'm guessing the film will pull in numbers similar to Suicide Squad, i.e., roughly $750 million world wide, maybe $300+ million domestic. It's funny and sad how Geoff Johns and WB broke their backs to "adjust the trajectory" of Justice League, pulling it more in line with what Marvel was doing, only to end up having the film perform even worse at the box office than previous DCEU films.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Codependent Poster posted:

No. Coco is going to come out and take a lot of audiences. Thor still has legs, and then in less than a month Star Wars is coming to dominate the box office. Justice League doesn't have the positive word of mouth that Wonder Woman did and isn't drawing a lot of that audience.

I saw matinees of both Thor and Justice League this weekend. I saw Justice League yesterday and at most the theater was about 30%-40% full. Thor looked like it was at least 75% or more today. Anecdotal to be sure, and I wouldn't use Atlantic Canada as a barometer for mainstream moviegoers, but that doesn't seem like a good sign at all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bessantj posted:

Just gotten back from seeing Justice League, I went in with very low expectations and so they were exceeded. Pretty much everything that could be said about that movie has already been said. I thought that the Flash wasn't used well, Aquaman was a bit nothing and I wasn't a fan of the costumes. Steppenwolf wasn't terrible but I think could have been made to look like a bigger threat. Also question half related to the film Are you allowed to wear hoodies in US prisons?

I think the main issue with the costumes is they were designed for a completely different aesthetic and then shot in a completely different style and had the color regraded in the original stuff

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think the main issue with the costumes is they were designed for a completely different aesthetic and then shot in a completely different style and had the color regraded in the original stuff

Yeah, the Red Letter Media guys pointed this out in their review and I agree.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

teagone posted:

Man this would have been cool :rip:

And yeah, 96 million domestic opening weekend for JL is pretty grim for what was supposed to be a blockbuster tentpole. drat. I'm sure world wide total gross will be respectable, but nowhere near what it should have gotten. I'm guessing the film will pull in numbers similar to Suicide Squad, i.e., roughly $750 million world wide, maybe $300+ million domestic. It's funny and sad how Geoff Johns and WB broke their backs to "adjust the trajectory" of Justice League, pulling it more in line with what Marvel was doing, only to end up having the film perform even worse at the box office than previous DCEU films.
Part of the problem is that you can’t do that in reshoots.

Another bigger problem is that they had already set a tone in the previous 4 movies, but started walking that back for this one. Clearly people are not connecting with that the way they did with Marvel’s stuff. I do also wonder how cultural shifts in this country in the last couple of years have probably tired people of the DC Murderverse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Steppenwolf is the least interesting of Darkseid's generals. Kanto, Virman Vundabar, Glorious Godfrey, Granny Goodness, Mantis, Doctor Bedlam, the Female Furies, Desaad, and Kalibak, are all better villains. Or they could have at least do the famous Justice League party split to tackle simultaneous objectives/villains.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Again I think Justice League's failure is less about this movie and more about the last movie with all these characters leaving a really bad taste in a lot of people's mouth. The second week drop of Batman v Superman is all the proof you need that audiences pretty rightly rejected that version of these heroes. Wonder Woman looked nothing like Batman v Superman and Justice League did. That's why Wonder Woman didn't suffer the immediate rejection that Justice League is now. From the trailers and commercials it looked like more of Batman v Superman whether that's what it actually was or not.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah I think you're right there, I thought Flash's costume made his head look a little strange, the TV costume looked a lot better to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It seemed like Miller was eating just this intense shade of lipstick the entire time. Anyone else?

Is that just optical illusion due to his red costume?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It also helped that pretty much everyone who saw the movie walked away thinking that she was the one thing that worked, so naturally people responded to the prospect of more of her without everything else. Her move was never going to feel the backlash because she was the one thing people didn’t reject.

Ironically, I wouldn’t be surprised if that actually ended up helping her numbers

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Part of the problem is that you can’t do that in reshoots.

WB, and I believe Johns, were saying that Justice League would be funnier during principal photography. Terrio did mention JL would be lighter in tone compared to BvS and MoS at the time of BvS' release from what I remember, but I'm pretty sure the studio and Johns were pushing the "more like Marvel" angle well before the reshoots. That's why they had invited all the bloggers who bashed BvS for a JL set visit; to see how much funnier and more fun the film was going to be. Also, I don't remember when Whedon was brought on board to work on the banter/dialogue, but he was part of the production when Snyder was still at the helm.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

Again I think Justice League's failure is less about this movie and more about the last movie with all these characters leaving a really bad taste in a lot of people's mouth. The second week drop of Batman v Superman is all the proof you need that audiences pretty rightly rejected that version of these heroes. Wonder Woman looked nothing like Batman v Superman and Justice League did. That's why Wonder Woman didn't suffer the immediate rejection that Justice League is now. From the trailers and commercials it looked like more of Batman v Superman whether that's what it actually was or not.
Yes, I think people are just not very interested in these versions of the characters and I agree with them.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Steppenwolf is the least interesting of Darkseid's generals. Kanto, Virman Vundabar, Glorious Godfrey, Granny Goodness, Mantis, Doctor Bedlam, the Female Furies, Desaad, and Kalibak, are all better villains. Or they could have at least do the famous Justice League party split to tackle simultaneous objectives/villains.

I would be much more interested in this movie if it had Kanto instead of Steppenwolf.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kalibak would have been a lot more visually interesting, made more sense storywise, and been a better setup for future movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if Johns will be pushed aside because if the films failure. Everyone was saying his position in the film division would change everything.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if Johns will be pushed aside because if the films failure. Everyone was saying his position in the film division would change everything.

Was Johns brought in early enough to have made a difference? I can’t remember.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yakmouth posted:

Geoff Johns had a big hand in Green Lantern so I don't know why anyone thinks he can make a positive contribution to their films.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I thought Justice League was...fine. Better than BvS and Suicide Squad. They finally got Superman mostly right.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved that the little Russian girl never used that can of bug spray on a parademon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Codependent Poster posted:

Geoff Johns had a big hand in Green Lantern so I don't know why anyone thinks he can make a positive contribution to their films.

Wow why didn't they kick his rear end to the curb after that

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Yakmouth posted:

JL started filming only a few weeks after BvS opened, and Johns didn't take on his expanded film role until a month or two after that. So Johns probably had significant involvement in on-set rewrites, reshoots, and general post-production, but not in the film's development or pre-production.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Here's my plan to save the DCEU franchise

Next movie should be Crisis, complete reboot. All movies following that should use Superfriends as a template.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Perry Normal posted:

I saw matinees of both Thor and Justice League this weekend. I saw Justice League yesterday and at most the theater was about 30%-40% full. Thor looked like it was at least 75% or more today. Anecdotal to be sure, and I wouldn't use Atlantic Canada as a barometer for mainstream moviegoers, but that doesn't seem like a good sign at all.

Same idea except Ottawa and replace Thor with Murder on the Orient Express. That easily had twice as many people as JL tonight

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Reboot the DC universe by making an Amalgam continuity. It’s half marvel so maybe some good filmmaking might leak over

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

howe_sam posted:

I thought Justice League was...fine. Better than BvS and Suicide Squad. They finally got Superman mostly right.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved that the little Russian girl never used that can of bug spray on a parademon.

This reminds me of what people said about Revenge of the Sith and how it's the better one.

It's not better, you've just gotten used to bad films and disappointment.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't know what aesthetic would've helped those Flash and Cyborg costumes. They were both pretty bad looking.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Retro Futurist posted:

Kalibak would have been a lot more visually interesting, made more sense storywise, and been a better setup for future movies.

I agree with this. Would have been better to lead with Darkseid's son rather then Uncle. Kalibak despite what most would think is also an interesting character.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 20, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I agree with this. Would have been better to lead with Darkseid's son rather then Uncle. Kalibak despite what you would think is also an interesting character.

Also, why even bother doing anything to do with the Fourth World if you're not going to Kirby the gently caress out of it? People loved that poo poo in Thor: Ragnarok. Nobody wants another generic video game alien horde.

JL still has this feeling as if it's trying to distance itself from the actual comic books, as if this was still 2007 and audiences still needed to be cajoled into taking superheroes seriously and not 2017 when that's the only type of movie that seems to make any money.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And Thor was so enjoyable and could have serious moments even without taking its heroes seriously at all.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Plus if you're doing Kalibak you can have Orion show up at the end and beat the snot out of him and give brief introduction to the larger world and dangle Darkseid's intro by a character that actually knows him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Reminder that at no point in this film does Aquaman talk to fish.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

BrianWilly posted:

Well of course not, as we all know:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BrianWilly posted:

It's never been his most important power. No reason to shoehorn it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I saw JL last night and here's a bit of an effort post. Keep in mind that I am mostly a Marvel "fan" in that the only DC comics I have ever read are solo Batman stories that occasionally had appearances from Superman or Robin. Before this movie I never heard of Cyborg, and before Gadot I only knew WW from the Lynda Carter TV show. Aquaman I would have guessed was a Namor rip-off and the Flash was just DC's Quicksilver (I realise it may be the other way around).

Firstly, I rewatched BvS on Saturday and actually liked it more than I remember when I first saw it in the theatre, but I never hated the movie. The biggest problem is their CGI, whoever they are using needs to be replaced. Cast wise, I really don't see how they can improve on the major actors. Caville for me is the best Superman since Reeve. I like Affleck as Batman more than Bale in both movies despite the fact that Nolan's movies are obviously much better. Its hard to see anyone else playing WW now too. So I really don't think any of the problems with these movies are in the casting which is a pity because the cast will be the first ones to pay the price.

JL...its no where near as bad as as the general vibe.

Negatives.
The worst things are Aquaman, who feels like a pointless relic from the silver age of comics and has no business in the 21st century mainstream media. Namor is/was entertaining in the comics because hes a complete rear end in a top hat but the whole theme/powerset is too ridiculous even in a world with Thor and Ant-Man.
The plot/villain are also incredibly weak but really no different from the first Avengers movie which was held up by Loki and the novelty of it all, plus superior CGI. As mentioned before, the fact that they had a troubled production for JL seems pretty clear with some of the editing but I can live with it. Caville's mustache issue is not obvious at all unless you are looking for it, and even then hardly glaring.
Casting JK Simmons as Gordon was a waste of time for how little he got. If this means we don't get him as JJJ again in Spider-man then its horrible.

Positives.
The Cyborg character & backstory/family was a lot more interesting than I would have expected.
The Flash was decent but was starting to wear a little thin on the comedy/slapstick. But as comic relief he's a totally necessary element to the movie.
Gadot was good again.
Affleck sells the worn-out Batman story very well, can't they just make TDKR with him?
I still like Caville but he's not getting any help from anyone who writes these movies.

I think the fundamental problem for me is that these characters just don't gel or belong together. As has been said, when Superman shows up he makes everyone else redundant (and for me that's always the problem with Superman). Superman is like DC's Captain America, except he's also DC's Odin/Silver Surfer and its too hard to shoehorn his power level in with other characters. I have no idea how they accomplish this in the comics. Batman also works better on his own for tonal reasons. I can imagine a world where Batman & Superman movies were their own separate things and you could bring together Flash, Cyborg, WW and whoever else (Arrow, Green Lantern? I don't know them well) for their team movie.

Overall, probably a B-. I liked Ragnarok more for sure.

One more thing about comic book movie characters in general, when you think about it the movie versions of some of these characters bear no resemblance to their source, and I'm not saying that as a criticism - it might be the key to Marvel's success because in most cases its done to bring humour into previously humourless characters:

IronMan - I read the books and can never remember Stark being the wise-cracking laid back figure that RDJ portrays but RDJ has been totally central to the building of Marvel's success. In a decade he has turned Iron Man from a B-lister into the equivalent of Spiderman, Superman and Batman culturally.
Thor - Thor has cracked more Jokes in 5 movies than in 50+ years of comic history combined. The closest we got to comic-book Thor was in the first third of the first movie. Also his power levels are massively toned down. Again, I'm not criticising because I like Hemsworth even if I would love to see a classic Simonsen-eque story/character
Ant-Man - I don't remember either Antman character from the books being anything like Paul Rudd
Captain America - this is the odd one out but to me the 3 CA movies are together better than the 3 IM or 3 Thor Movies and Chris Evans gives the best portrayal of any of the comic book characters

• Locked thread