Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TheChirurgeon posted:

THOUGHTS: The Tau'nar seems way overpowered to me, but I also got painfully uncommon results during the game, both in shooting (multiple rounds of presience-powered autocannons failed to do a single wound), and in saves (seriously that loving shield drone got 18 straight saves and 6 straight FNP rolls), but I think that's part of the issue--it not only has insane firepower and damage output at BS 2+, it also benefits significantly from Tau drones. I probably overextended with my raptors and lord, and needed more lascannons, but I shudder to think about how the game would have gone if I hadn't removed it's invulnerable save beforehand.

RESULTS: Our Tau player is squarely in first place with a 4-0 campaign record through phase 2 but we have 2 rounds left to go this round and surprisingly, BuffaloChicken can still catch up to him, if he stops slinging jank armies long enough to score a win vs. our Craftworld Eldar player this round. I'm 1-2-1 but hoping to make up some ground in the next two rounds. This was maybe the most fun round of the campaign for me, and it was a lot of fun coming up with the narrative aspects, and building terrain to accommodate them.

On the off chance that this is a sticking point drones don't get the invuln save from Savior Protocol. Shield drones get the FNP roll, but that's it. Unless its 18 straight saves were all against bolters, in which case lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Good report, lovely scenery. If you don't mind my asking, how did you paint the walkways?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Strobe posted:

On the off chance that this is a sticking point drones don't get the invuln save from Savior Protocol. Shield drones get the FNP roll, but that's it. Unless its 18 straight saves were all against bolters, in which case lol.

Ah poo poo, yeah I think he definitely rolled some invuln saves for shield drone savior protocol wounds. I don't think it would have changed the outcome, but it would have made things a little closer, at least. I missed _a_lot_ of shots

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Good report, lovely scenery. If you don't mind my asking, how did you paint the walkways?

Thanks! I primed everything black, then drybrushed/basecoated the support struts with reaper Gunmetal, and then drybrushed the walkways with that to get all the pipes done. Then I drybrushed the walkways with a 90/10 mix of baneblade brown and averland sunset, and went back over them with baneblade brown to give them a solid finish. Then I picked out the details and finished off the pipes using reaper gunmetal and Balthasar Gold and washed those with Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade. Then I did edge highlights on the walkways with Rakarth Flesh. After that, it was picking out major details with whatever other colors, and I used a sponge dipped in Rhinox hide to do the patches of dirt, but in the future I'd probably just use a drybrush with Typhus Corrosion instead.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 20, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cheers. I've got a load of that stuff to paint and yours is the first scheme that's really inspired me.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Question: If I am running a CSM force, can I take a Renegades and Heretics Lord of War as a superheavy auxiliary detachment? It should be fine because everyone has the Chaos faction keyword, right?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TKIY posted:

Really surprised by this. I would buy a box with a repulsor, some hellblasters, intercessors and a few characters for $200.

I was hoping to save a few coins but i wouls guess they are selling fast enough as is..

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

I was hoping to save a few coins but i wouls guess they are selling fast enough as is..

Are they really though? I've only seen a single person aside from myself play with them at my FLGS. Admittedly I have a weird local meta; There were 5-6 games going while I was there yesterday and three of them involved Orks. One was a pretty amazing looking match between a grot-heavy Ork list and the new Tyranid codex.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pendent posted:

Are they really though? I've only seen a single person aside from myself play with them at my FLGS. Admittedly I have a weird local meta; There were 5-6 games going while I was there yesterday and three of them involved Orks. One was a pretty amazing looking match between a grot-heavy Ork list and the new Tyranid codex.

I have the mental image of a meatgrinder as a tide of Grots and a tide of Gaunts slam into each other and it is glorious.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gilgameshback posted:

Question: If I am running a CSM force, can I take a Renegades and Heretics Lord of War as a superheavy auxiliary detachment? It should be fine because everyone has the Chaos faction keyword, right?

Correct.

That's how you get Imperial Soup with Marines and Guard working together as smaller detachments in the same overall force, and it works the same for Chaos and Aeldari. You're pretty much boned if you're Necrons, Orks, Tau, or Bugs though.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I am up to about 1200 points painted! Need to fill out Hellblasters to hit 1500.

Edit: he is a work in progress, obviously.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That Shadow War Battle in the middle of a campaign is such a cool idea. My local club’s lead guy loves the idea of twinning Shadow War with 40k in this kind of way so I’ll definitely take some inspiration for our upcoming campaigns.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Bee posted:

Funnily enough, combining the Genestealer and IG boxes can get you a really detailed force if you're going in a brood brother direction.

Genestealer cult seems really weak to me at the moment in 8th. Everything that isn't a Neophyte or an HQ seems either a little too expensive, a little too underpowered, or redundant. Things like the seismic weapons are garbage. I can guess why the Acolytes are so expensive, in that they are priced around what an ork boy comes out to as a unit in a trukk to make up for the cult ambush rules, but it still seems like 2-3 points too expensive.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

I am up to about 1200 points painted! Need to fill out Hellblasters to hit 1500.

Edit: he is a work in progress, obviously.

Your progress is awesome and shames my lack of productivity.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

LordAba posted:

Genestealer cult seems really weak to me at the moment in 8th. Everything that isn't a Neophyte or an HQ seems either a little too expensive, a little too underpowered, or redundant. Things like the seismic weapons are garbage. I can guess why the Acolytes are so expensive, in that they are priced around what an ork boy comes out to as a unit in a trukk to make up for the cult ambush rules, but it still seems like 2-3 points too expensive.

I think a huge part of the issue is that in 7th they were fully designed around various formations, including smaller formations nesting inside larger ones. Most of the different special rules those had never got translated to the 8th edition Index version. So all you have is a bunch of pretty basic dudes with a funky deployment option. I reckon once they get a codex, we'll see a lot more special rules on the various units, and a good amount of their old tricks returning as stratagems.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Pendent posted:

I was basing it off me, so maybe not. I hear a lot of complaints about the lack of vehicles and anti tank so it could be that I am investing into a dead army.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Strobe posted:

Also, I had to look it up and I'm staggered that the Ta'unar gets the Battlesuit tag (and thus is a valid Saviour Protocol target) when the Stormsurge is a Vehicle instead. That seems... pretty busted?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Also, I had to look it up and I'm staggered that the Ta'unar gets the Battlesuit tag (and thus is a valid Saviour Protocol target) when the Stormsurge is a Vehicle instead. That seems... pretty busted?

FW rules writing at their finest

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Are any of the miniature manufacturers (either GW or the third-party ones like Mantic) gonna have Thanksgiving deals? Strongly doubting GW, but maybe the others

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Maugan Ra is done. First model painted in two years :)

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

goose willis posted:

Are any of the miniature manufacturers (either GW or the third-party ones like Mantic) gonna have Thanksgiving deals? Strongly doubting GW, but maybe the others

Mantic typically does but they haven't released anything on what they may be.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Boon posted:

Maugan Ra is done. First model painted in two years :)

The purple accents are great!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

bonds0097 posted:

The purple accents are great!

Thanks! I've gotten a bit of enthusiasm for painting again, I'll post again when I have made some progress on my first squad of Dark Reapers (who I think I'll go with the same scheme on). Next on deck are some new Fire Dragons as well.

My vehicles and non-aspect squads tend to be brightly colored (see OP) but I'm starting to like the contrast of the darker Aspects to balance all the white/bright-green (which fades to caliban green that you cannot see in the picture) of the rest of the army.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

I have the mental image of a meatgrinder as a tide of Grots and a tide of Gaunts slam into each other and it is glorious.

I was playing myself so I didn't get to watch a ton of their match but the deployment zones for both players basically full. Both armies were pretty well painted so it looked awesome too.

Ropes4u posted:

I was basing it off me, so maybe not. I hear a lot of complaints about the lack of vehicles and anti tank so it could be that I am investing into a dead army.

Who knows, really. Maybe people are collecting and waiting for a buff before using them. They're new marine models so I bet they're selling at least ok.

Whoever said the 8th for the next codex release is probably right. Just some more chapter approved stuff up on Warhammer Community so this week is probably going to be all about that.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How are Aggressors? I ended up with 2 sides of the Primaris Dark Imperium box and a squad of Aggressors with Flamestorm Gauntlets. Was planning on making them Ultramarines.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Missions preview is up - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/20/get-ready-chapter-approved-new-missions-oct-19gw-homepage-post-3/ - looks like some interesting ideas in there.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

How are Aggressors? I ended up with 2 sides of the Primaris Dark Imperium box and a squad of Aggressors with Flamestorm Gauntlets. Was planning on making them Ultramarines.

For boltstorm aggressors they're a roving 36" bubble of area denial since if an infantry unit moves within 18" of them on the enemy turn they're pretty much going to die. Flamestorm aggressors cost the same amount and do a bit more damage when they're in range but they need to be 10" closer which is somewhat harder to pull off, I might try them out if the easy build ones are cheap but they're pretty much strictly worse because of the range.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Aggressors also have Relentless Advance so they're much faster than their printed speed of 5". That can surprise people pretty easily, especially White Scars when they suddenly sprint 12" across the board and open up with a bunch of guns.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Just finished the Renegade Open. Went with a couple teammates, and saw Naramyth again with his posse of Warhogs. I am amazed by the number of players that North Dakota is able to provide.
We all seemed to do well with the guy who took First at Dragonfall getting 2nd overall, and Naramyth taking 6th. The guy I drove with managed 4th overall, and I went 4-2, which was largely my goal for the weekend knowing I wasn’t taking the best list. A slew of Naramyth’s cohorts were scattered amongst the Top 20, but Aaron Aelong took then number 1 spot for the weekend with Astra Militarum.

I don’t have battle reports with pictures for you guys to this time, but I will at least outline my personal match-ups with some commentary on the game in general.

DAY 1

Round 1 and 4 – Tau Commander Spam - These are lumped together because I faced the same commander spam list in both these rounds. The first round was a total blowout with my opponent focusing a large amount of shooting on a -2 to hit Stormraven(and failing to kill it), and him conceding after Turn 3. He learned his lesson on our rematch focusing on my Razorbacks, but ultimately me going first allowed me a large enough lead in our war of attrition to once again force him to concede on Turn 4.

Thoughts – Tau are in a bad place, but hopefully in the quest to fix them by making other units more powerful they remember to give a big nerf to commanders and other spammable alpha strike units. Going First is still a huge boon in the game, and is a reoccurring issue in each of these rounds.

Round 2 – Stormraven Spam – I conceded on turn 2. I went up against the person who took top at Dragonfall and 2nd Overall. Not much I could’ve done here. I went first, but we had short edge deployment, allowing him to place nearly all of his flyers out of range of my anti-tank weapons. Not a terribly exciting army to play either, Guilliman walks forward, all flyers converge within 6 inches of him, your army dies. The guy was super nice though, and the quick defeat allowed me a good poop break.

Thoughts – Currently the most powerful way to play a predominately Marine army, unfortunately even with the nerfs to flyers their inability to hold objectives is irrelevant to firepower output. Their mobility and ability to shoot in 360 degrees in 8th really makes it feel like your opponent is playing a different game than you. There are ways to get the jump on this list, but they are all situational, whether it being going first on long edge deployment (so you can literally be shooting him to death first), or getting a table with lots of ruins so you can hide something like Dark Reapers out of LoS and jumping hit him. Or run an identical list and go first yourself.
The army really puts on full display the deficiency of cover, new vehicle rules, and the power of going first in 8th edition.

Round 3 – Chaos Soup – An army consisting of a hodge podge of powerful chaos units including: A Fire Raptor, Magnus, 2x Demon Princes, 2x Heldrakes, 2x Demon Princes, and Brimstones. However there didn’t really seem to be any unifying strategy to the build. However, long table edge deployment type plus him seizing the initiative on me resulted in Magnus, the Heldrakes, and the Fire Raptor being in my business from the get-go. Fortunately, I played the objectives pretty well, and despite losing most my army managed to pull out a win and kill his biggest threats, while dying him his targets.

Thoughts – The power of ruins came into play here. In the Renegade you pick your primary objectives, in this case he picked assassinate, which required you to select 4 units (in secret) prior to deployment that you must kill prior to the end of the game. My opponent made the mistake of picking an infantry unit which I promptly placed inside a LoS blocking building, and since he had a force consisting almost entirely of vehicles and monsters, he was literally incapable of winning his mission. Ruins in general in this sense can turn Infantry from easy kills on an open board to a unit that holds down an entire sector of board. Naramyth ran a 16 Eversor Assassin list (because he is a PoS) and I can only imagine the difference he saw in situations where he was able to jump his assassins in and out of buildings without fear of being shot at.

Day 2

Round 5 – Yanaari – I had a few issues with this match. Both of us made mistakes, mine being the bigger, largely because I have never played Yanaari and found myself forgetting about soulburst a couple times that really cost me. I lost some key units early on, but still managed to make a game of it by winning the Malestrom objectives, and almost prevented my opponent from getting his Primary thanks to being sneaky with hiding my vehicles. It was only thanks to a small gap in a terrain piece exposing the turret of my Razorback that allowed him kill it on the final round. Secondaries were the deciding factor.

Thoughts - There isn’t a ton to say here, they were still using pre-nerf rules for Yanaari, and I did have a clear path to victory that I failed to take advantage, so lessons learned. Despite me losing my Raven and Celestine early on I wasn’t to torn up about the defeat, because a victory would have ensured I played against a list identical to the one I faced in Round 2.

Round 6 – Dark Angels Gunline – A bloody affair that saw most of both our armies dead. I managed to win this by keeping him largely contained in his deployment zone. I went first, but caused surprisingly little damage having deployed mostly conservatively on a ruins heavy table, and his response fire was equally plagued by poor rolling. We then proceeded to begin vaporizing each other, but having seized control of the board I won both my Primary and Maelstrom, making it a clear points victory despite having 4 units left on the board.

Thoughts – Dark Angels unfortunately only really have one competitive option, but it shouldn’t be discounted. They can almost do a gunline superior to Ultramarines in terms of deadliness when you factor in Ezekial and a Lt. Add in that Ezekial and a Darkshroud make those units much more durable than their Ultramarine counterparts could hope to be, and you have something that I am surprised hasn’t seen a little more play. It won’t be winning top table, but there are plenty of Dark Angels players out there that could make a good go of it.

RESULTS

Raffles – 3 separate raffles were held. One saw a nicely painted Age of Sigmar army (steampunk dwarves) go to a lucky guy, while another saw an equally well painted Death Guard army given out. The most important was a Forgeworld Knight where all the raffle proceeds’ went to a player who is currently battling cancer, something in the realm of $1300 with a roughly equivalent amount be raised for Toys-For-Tots. Coincidentally the person who won the Knight was himself a cancer survivor.

Awards – At the end of Day 1 I was informed I was tied with 4 other players for best painted, and needed to leave my Ultramarines out for final judging. Sadly, when it came time to present the 3 top painted armies my boys fell short, something I blame largely on my display board. On the plus side the 2nd best painted was the Tau player I played twice, who had some fantastic models.

It is worth noting that while there was some nice prize support the amount given out, but it seemed kind of small when compared with what felt like a bombardment of awards at Dragonfall, which had less than half the number of players (Renegade being roughly 90 and Dragonfall being 40). Dragonfall had several kickass and very unique awards, which kind of made the small plaques given out for the Renegade seem underwhelming by comparison.

It is also worth pointing out that Renegade runs a unique matching system, where after the 3rd Round players are essentially cordoned off into groups of 8-10, who they will only play against in the remaining 3 rounds. This basically means you had to win your first 3 games to have a chance at Top 8. I am unsure if I agree with this method because it means a fantastic player who goes 2-1(because he happened to run into another fantastic, albeit slightly better, player) has zero hope of climbing his way back into the top 8, regardless of his performance in his later matches.

List Building Going Forward

Now I will go over my final thoughts on the game in general, and some specific strategy discussion for you Marine players with a focus on the Ultramarines.

First, Terrain and going first continue to be an issue. Hopefully, the former will see some additional rules come chapter approved, but a large part of this rests on TOs. Playing on ruin heavy board versus one that has predominantly small hills and such can be night and day, especially for infantry heavy armies. The later can help to be solved by working on the former, providing players with ways to help mitigate Alpha strike is the best way to balance the game. The new ITC missions that have scoring occur at the end of the Turn also is a good improvement, allowing the second player to more easily block his opponent.

Flyers, really they have seen a decline, but allowing them to ride on Guilliman (or Shrike, or Dante) still means they will remain potent. I am almost of the opinion that not even a 10-20% point increase would make them unviable, and instead preventing units with the “flyer” type from benefiting from buffing auras would be a better way of putting spam to bed.

With a hint of what’s coming in CA I personally am looking to make the transition to a largely infantry force with Dreadnaughts making up my vehicle and heavy weapon selections. If Guilliman remains under 400 points I don’t see myself dropping him from my list if 2000 points remains the tournament standard. Ultimately, even without the points increase Razorbacks just aren’t a truly viable option. They are points efficient, but their degrading profile, and vulnerability to assaults I feel makes them the inferior, because so many armies have the option of getting into your lines rather easily, relying on models that have the option of falling back and shooting allows you to be far more flexible in how you deploy.

If Primaris Marines get the predicted point decrease they could truly be terrors in urban heavy maps, assaulting through walls, bullying lesser infantry and tying up vehicles, while still being able to fall back from nastier threats shooting while they do so.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
guys, i really, really, really want an astraeus

is this normal?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Does anyone have experience with Wraithknights in 8e? Have they been completely neutered or are they still useful? Just wondering if it's worth picking one up on Black Friday.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

is this normal?
No. Consult a doctor and then purchase a Warlord Titan.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Sex Cannon posted:

is this normal?

It looks like a floating garbage barge

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The new floaty Primaris tank stuff doesn't really feel properly Imperial

Maybe 30k Imperial but definitely not 40k Imperial

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Ascension sounds like it's just going to be dudes like Pask or Longstrike sitting on a backfield objective all game racking up points tbh

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

The Sex Cannon posted:

is this normal?

The least believable joke I've seen in a while...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

is this normal?

I mean you're basically FW's target audience so yes? Personally I would buy a Warhound instead.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

The Sex Cannon posted:

is this normal?

How's that big tank going to turn into a stealthy bird train?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

The Sex Cannon posted:

is this normal?

More than likely you have been infected by toxoprimaris gondii. Symptoms include normal marines and tanks seeming suddenly too small, and becoming abnormally attracted to expensive models. This draws your wallet close to predators so that the cycle can continue.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Giant Isopod posted:

More than likely you have been infected by toxoprimaris gondii. Symptoms include normal marines and tanks seeming suddenly too small, and becoming abnormally attracted to expensive models. This draws your wallet close to predators so that the cycle can continue.

Don’t be silly, predators aren’t a primaris tank.

(Sorry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Giant Isopod posted:

Any reference to the brain controlling influence of Toxoplasmosis is great. :allears:

Edit: the main gun kinda stinks for an 800 point tank. I am waiting for the next turret for a specifically anti tank one. I bought a Falchion to keep myself busy till then.

I think Super Heavies should be able to kill other super heavies.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 20, 2017