Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also, it's not optimal to place technocrat departments such as EMA or EBA in a country without an eglible workforce/major life science/banking industry. Because the departments will lose employees during the move and they would need to be able to partly source a skilled workforce locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
C'mon EU. Stop putting politics before prosperity guys.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think the issue is that prosperity here weighs much more than politics. If the EU were to decide for themselves they'd hand out one agency for each Member State to keep parity or some poo poo like that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I for one think leaving it up to the free market where these institutions should be based is a great idea. If for example Estonia values having a fleet of German cars for their politicians higher than getting to be the host for some EU institution, and Germany values those cars less, it's a win-win situation for everyone involved. Leaving it in the hands of EU central-planners would completely undermine the ability of the market to distribute resources in the most efficient manner possible.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
In other news: corruption in EU reaches all time low.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I think the issue is that prosperity here weighs much more than politics. If the EU were to decide for themselves they'd hand out one agency for each Member State to keep parity or some poo poo like that.

This is sort of how the agencies have been divvied up thus far though (they're literally all over the place) and it is a criterion for the bid evaluation, even though it's probably an irrelevant one. Only problem is some member states were late to the table and you'd have to raise the EU budget for some more to be created so the division could become fully fair. At some point, politicians have to bring home the bacon, and this process is part of how the EU lets them do that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pluskut Tukker posted:

This is sort of how the agencies have been divvied up thus far though (they're literally all over the place) and it is a criterion for the bid evaluation, even though it's probably an irrelevant one. Only problem is some member states were late to the table and you'd have to raise the EU budget for some more to be created so the division could become fully fair. At some point, politicians have to bring home the bacon, and this process is part of how the EU lets them do that.

Yep, and I like that. It's a way to show Europe in the streets of its capital cities and to deconcentrate its administration. Which is why it surprised me that there were two agencies in the UK!

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

I *think* that is mostly the result of the EBA being established on relatively short notice in the middle of the European debt crisis, and so they established it near where the most banks are for convenience for a change.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, does Germany have a government yet?

In unrelated news, I'm laughing at this: https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/paradise_papers_loc/

quote:

"Eight years ago as UK Prime Minister and chair of the G20, I tried to end the injustice of global tax havens. But as the Paradise Papers leak shows, trillions are still being siphoned off to dodge tax in the most shadowy places in the global economy.

It’s one of today’s greatest injustices, allowing the richest to stand aside while the rest of us pay for health, education, and protecting the most vulnerable.

But now we have a chance to stop it -- through an international agreement that outlaws tax havens and imposes penalties and prison sentences on tax evaders. And the G20, the leaders of the world's biggest economies, can make it happen.

Please join me in signing this open letter to Argentine President Mauricio Macri, chair of the G20 — if a million of us sign, I will personally deliver it to him, asking him and other G20 leaders to take urgent action to finish the job we began in 2009."

-- Gordon Brown, Former Prime Minister of the UK -- with Avaaz

Yeah the fight of the UK against tax havens such as the Isle of Man, Jersey & Guernsey, the Cayman Islands, and so on. Very arduous fight against these horrible places. The struggle is definitely real.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

In unrelated news, I'm laughing at this: https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/paradise_papers_loc/

Yeah the fight of the UK against tax havens such as the Isle of Man, Jersey & Guernsey, the Cayman Islands, and so on. Very arduous fight against these horrible places. The struggle is definitely real.

It’s Gordon Brown. I can actually believe he tried and immediately got dogpiled by everyone else in the room.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
How receptive do people in this thread believe that the EU27 are likely to be to British remainers leaving the UK to live and work in their countries? I realise that it would be best to relocate to another country before March 2019, before the UK loses its presently nominal membership of the EU. However, I could not afford the relocation costs at present, and I will probably require at least three more years to save the requisite funds. What would my employment prospects be? Which of the EU27 would be my best option? I am currently employed as an Electrician and have the following experience and qualifications:

12 years domestic and commercial electrical installation.

-City & Guilds 2357 Level 3 Certificate in Electro-technical Technology.
-NVQ Level 2 Electrical Installation.
-City & Guilds 2394 Level 3 Certificate in Initial and Fundamental Inspection.
-City & Guilds 2395 Level 3 Certificate in Periodic Inspection and Testing.
-City & Guilds 2396 Level 4 Certificate in Design, Erection and Verification.
-BTEC National Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Level 3).
-Higher National Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Level 5).
-City & Guilds 7689 Level 2 Award in Computer Aided Design.

I earn approximately £17,000 a year after tax and would be willing to endure a substantial cut in pay and living standards to escape the ruinous effects of Brexit, and secure my EU citizenship, which I regard as my sacred birthright. To that end, I would seek to become a naturalised citizen of whichever EU27 country I successfully migrate to. I would wish to annul my UK citizenship, as I have nothing left but contempt and hatred for my government and many of my fellow UK citizens. I would be willing to learn the language of my new home (to the best of my ability, as foreign languages were my worst subjects at school, which probably reflects a lack of linguistic aptitude) and take whichever citizenship tests are required.

Lord_Adonis fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 20, 2017

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Cat Mattress posted:

Negotiations failed so guess not!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lord_Adonis posted:

I earn approximately £17,000 a year after tax and would be willing to endure a substantial cut in pay and living standards to escape the ruinous effects of Brexit, and secure my EU citizenship, which I regard as my sacred birthright. To that end, I would seek to become a naturalised citizen of whichever EU27 country I successfully migrate to. I would wish to annul my UK citizenship, as I have nothing left but contempt and hatred for my government and many of my fellow UK citizens. I would be willing to learn the language of my new home (to the best of my ability, as foreign languages were my worst subjects at school, which probably reflects a lack of linguistic aptitude) and take whichever citizenship tests are required.

I think you're pretty much screwed short of marriage, ancestry or investing 5€ million in Cyprus. I mean you can try the work permit route but as you'll soon find out, with the UK no longer having any agreements with the EU you now bring bureaucratic headaches along with you wherever you go which all fall on your prospective employer. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem were you an engineer, academic, auditor or whatever but as an electrician finding a stable employer that will pick you before an EU worker might prove a challenge. Then there is also the problem that getting a residency permit and/or citizenship can fall in-between difficult and impossible depending on in which member-state you end up with. Poland for example infamously requires you to get picked by the president himself for citizenship if you don't fall under the ancestry, family or marriage immigration categories. Even the countries which will offer you reasonable alternatives will still heap a bunch of restrictions on you of which crime in particular can be extremely arbitrary in its nature. The EU's entire immigration regime is tailored to keep you out if you're not valuable from an economics perspective and short of the UK actually making concessions for EU-citizens on its soil you will get hit by it full-force.

Just find yourself someone Irish and get married.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

MiddleOne posted:

I think you're pretty much screwed short of marriage, ancestry or investing 5€ million in Cyprus. I mean you can try the work permit route but as you'll soon find out, with the UK no longer having any agreements with the EU you now bring bureaucratic headaches along with you wherever you go which all fall on your prospective employer. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem were you an engineer, academic, auditor or whatever but as an electrician finding a stable employer that will pick you before an EU worker might prove a challenge. Then there is also the problem that getting a residency permit and/or citizenship can fall in-between difficult and impossible depending on in which member-state you end up with. Poland for example infamously requires you to get picked by the president himself for citizenship if you don't fall under the ancestry, family or marriage immigration categories. Even the countries which will offer you reasonable alternatives will still heap a bunch of restrictions on you of which crime in particular can be extremely arbitrary in its nature. The EU's entire immigration regime is tailored to keep you out if you're not valuable from an economics perspective and short of the UK actually making concessions for EU-citizens on its soil you will get hit by it full-force.

Just find yourself someone Irish and get married.

Thanks for the response, I guess. A man should know when he is utterly hosed, especially when that loving is at the hands of his own government. Words cannot describe the utter hatred and fury I feel for both politicians and 'fellow' leave voting UK citizens in depriving me of my birthright. I am an EU citizen- who the hell do people think they are that they can just take that away from me? Who the gently caress are these people to take the bread from my table? I, alongside 30 other tradespeople (of which at least 9 voted to remain), am going to be made redundant in three months, as a direct result of my employer losing EU related contracts. I have been unable to find another job in the nine months that I have known about this possibility. How the hell is an Electrician supposed to find work in a country facing the wholesale collapse of its manufacturing and agricultural sectors? Does the government expect people like me to take this sitting down? Won't someone help the 48%? Please, I am on my knees begging- crawling on all fours to the EU Commission in Brussels to lick Barnier's shoes clean if necessary- please save us from our government!

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Lord_Adonis posted:

Thanks for the response, I guess. A man should know when he is utterly hosed, especially when that loving is at the hands of his own government. Words cannot describe the utter hatred and fury I feel for both politicians and 'fellow' leave voting UK citizens in depriving me of my birthright. I am an EU citizen- who the hell do people think they are that they can just take that away from me? Who the gently caress are these people to take the bread from my table? I, alongside 30 other tradespeople (of which at least 9 voted to remain), am going to be made redundant in three months, as a direct result of my employer losing EU related contracts. I have been unable to find another job in the nine months that I have known about this possibility. How the hell is an Electrician supposed to find work in a country facing the wholesale collapse of its manufacturing and agricultural sectors? Does the government expect people like me to take this sitting down? Won't someone help the 48%? Please, I am on my knees begging- crawling on all fours to the EU Commission in Brussels to lick Barnier's shoes clean if necessary- please save us from our government!

Sir this is a Denny's, if you want free bread you are going to have to go to the Olive garden down the street.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Lord_Adonis posted:

please save us from our government!

Noone will come save you. You can save yourselves by seizing the means of production and overthrowing the bourgeouis government, however.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lord_Adonis posted:

Please, I am on my knees begging- crawling on all fours to the EU Commission in Brussels to lick Barnier's shoes clean if necessary- please save us from our government!

Seriously look into ancestry, many countries have fairly lenient grandparent/great-grandparent clauses. It's still a lengthy process, I recognize that I only just made it here in France having found a French woman to stick it out with. Now that I'm a teacher I could probably get a work visa pretty easily (though all told I'm going for citizenship this year for sure). But that required me to learn French, made easier since I also speak Spanish, but still.

I'd look into seeing if your Electrician certification is applicable/transferable or easily obtainable in other countries. I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing a foreign language, you can learn on site, and if you know where you want to go you can get started now. As for moving abroad... I don't know what the EU is going to do about British abroad, but there are A LOT, I'm sure their situation will be considered in any eventual negotiation. So, if you can go abroad now, while you're still legally allowed, I'd definitely go for it. Earning enough to get by isn't going to be easy or pretty, especially at the start, but you'd be surprised how little you need to get very uncomfortably set-up abroad. It would definitely be a hit in your quality-of-life but it can be done.

Considering your language skills maybe look at Ireland for now, Electricians are still pretty niche and I'm sure you could find a place to set yourself up.

I don't know how things work among members of your Commonwealth, but why couldn't you go about heading off to any of those places?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Do you have an Irish/Italian grandparent? If no,
Do you have any Irish/other EU friends who'll marry you? If no,

Then your best option is to move to another EU country ASAP. The sooner the better. If at the time of Brexit you're already living in an EU country, engaged in gainful employment, you'll be a hell of a lot more likely to be able to avail of some sort of visa/citizenship program. Or worst case scenario will likely have made enough local friends to find someone who'll marry you.

Otherwise, get ready to be stuck in a 1970/1980s style economically crushed UK for a decade!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lord_Adonis posted:

Right now it looks like the UK is probably going to remain in the economic union, so you will still be treated the same as an EU citizen in terms of employment. Norwegian or Swiss citizens are not discriminated against on the job market AFAIK

lmao if your government just decides to burn it all down and default to WTO rules though. How fast can you storm parliament and set up a guillotine? Better start training on a Counter Strike map of the parliament building or something

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord_Adonis posted:

drat... You got told by your own government that you could renegotiate the best deal it was possible to get from the EU by reneging that deal and starting over. Only your senile lizard people rulers thought it was still 1970 and the all the wealth and might of the empire they thought they still had to negotiate with, turned out to be a mirage. So uhh, you know how to tie a hangman's know?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Lord_Adonis posted:

I feel really sorry for you. You could look into moving to Belgium or the Netherlands: enough people know English that getting started isn't much of an issue, and at least for Belgium I know it used to be super easy to get citizenship.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Blut posted:

Then your best option is to move to another EU country ASAP. The sooner the better. If at the time of Brexit you're already living in an EU country, engaged in gainful employment, you'll be a hell of a lot more likely to be able to avail of some sort of visa/citizenship program. Or worst case scenario will likely have made enough local friends to find someone who'll marry you.

Yeah you need to do this. Live with room mates to cut down on rental fees, eat rice, eggs, and beans for a few years, and cut back on going out, you'll be surprised how much money you can save day-to-day.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I feel really sorry for you. You could look into moving to Belgium or the Netherlands: enough people know English that getting started isn't much of an issue, and at least for Belgium I know it used to be super easy to get citizenship.

People are also predicting a massive shortage of electricians in the Netherlands, but not knowing the language is probably going to be a major hurdle when it comes to actually finding work. Also, our laws have over the past decade been designed to cut back on immigration from non-EU countries by making that as costly and time-consuming as possible. People from non-EU countries need to have found work before they come here if they want to get a work permit (the employer has to apply on their behalf). So I'm sorry but we're not going to be a great option if there's no free movement after Brexit.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Dutch shouldn't be too hard to learn for an English speaker. According to this guy it's probably the simplest European language to learn for an English speaker.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Move to Finland: a hovel costs 300000€, any kind of car costs 20000€, and there are like two clean restaurants in the entire country.

e: Also the ugliest nazis in Europe which is saying a lot.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jerry Cotton posted:

Move to Finland: a hovel costs 300000€.

Still an improvement over England then

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

There is a general lack of skilled workers in Belgium, but you'd have to settle for a factory job that probably doesn't have a whole lot to do with electrician work.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

u brexit ukip it posted:

Still an improvement over England then

Only financially.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Dutch shouldn't be too hard to learn for an English speaker. According to this guy it's probably the simplest European language to learn for an English speaker.
The biggest issue is probably the fact that literally every time you attempt to use your Dutch, the Dutch will attempt to practice their English on you.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

true, but then be bold and explain that.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Amsterdam wins the European Medical Agency voting, after lots are drawn! Insert your jokes about drugs here >>

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Amsterdam wins the European Medical Agency voting, after lots are drawn! Insert your jokes about drugs here >>

wait, I thought they were cuttingprivatizing their social security?

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

What the Amsterdam housing market really needs is more high income expatriates. I am looking forward to living in an actual closet for half my monthly net paycheck.

E: I know it’s a good thing overall, but goddamn would I kill for affordable housing for middle incomes.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Lord_Adonis posted:

How receptive do people in this thread believe that the EU27 are likely to be to British remainers leaving the UK to live and work in their countries? I realise that it would be best to relocate to another country before March 2019, before the UK loses its presently nominal membership of the EU. However, I could not afford the relocation costs at present, and I will probably require at least three more years to save the requisite funds. What would my employment prospects be? Which of the EU27 would be my best option? I am currently employed as an Electrician and have the following experience and qualifications:

12 years domestic and commercial electrical installation.

-City & Guilds 2357 Level 3 Certificate in Electro-technical Technology.
-NVQ Level 2 Electrical Installation.
-City & Guilds 2394 Level 3 Certificate in Initial and Fundamental Inspection.
-City & Guilds 2395 Level 3 Certificate in Periodic Inspection and Testing.
-City & Guilds 2396 Level 4 Certificate in Design, Erection and Verification.
-BTEC National Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Level 3).
-Higher National Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Level 5).
-City & Guilds 7689 Level 2 Award in Computer Aided Design.

I've just watched a talk with the head of Rimac Cars and they are employing left and right. If there's something for you on this list, they'd work with you to relocate you.
http://www.rimac-automobili.com/en/company/careers/

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So uh, Merkel says she wants fresh elections as opposed to being in a minority government. That seems like a bad idea wrt the AfD.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Refried Noodle posted:

What the Amsterdam housing market really needs is more high income expatriates. I am looking forward to living in an actual closet for half my monthly net paycheck.

E: I know it’s a good thing overall, but goddamn would I kill for affordable housing for middle incomes.

If I lived in Amsterdam, I wouldn't enjoy it one bit either really. It's a good thing most of the banks moving personnel from London as a result of Brexit don't seem to have picked Amsterdam as their destination or things would go even more nuts. In most of the rest of the Netherlands, plenty of people still have their mortgages under water though.

double nine posted:

wait, I thought they were cuttingprivatizing their social security?

The European Medicine Agency regulates and approves drugs, mostly. Getting the EMA means up to 900 well-paid staff plus 30-40,000 guaranteed hotel visits a year moving to the Netherlands, plus an incentive for pharmaceutical companies to move here. It's a real prize.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 20, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Not to mention the knock-on benefits for local bars, restaurants and prostitutes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So Paris got the bank thingamajig while Amsterdam got the drug gizmo. Both had to go for drawing lots in the last round.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/britain-agencies-eu-transfer-1.4410428

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Who gets the cultural treasures of the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Who gets the cultural treasures of the UK?

For the last time, 'Great British Bake-Off' is not an UNESCO World Heritage, stop bringing this up, Pastry.