Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NothingMatters
Nov 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Rigel posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and go way out on a limb by assuming Franken didn't say "hey, do you mind if I put my hand on your butt while we take this picture?"

I really don't think that's what happened either.

Like I said the details going by that article are very vague. We don't know how long the contact was. What kind of hug Franken went in with. There's a lot of unknowns.

Either way in my circles asking how someone wants you to take a selfie is like going "Y..y..you too." It's very nerdy and seen as lame.

But I'm a Latino. We are very touchy and feely. We hug and kiss everyone. You are Americans. You are very cold. You want "personal space.'

I grew up sleeping 4 kids in the same bed for half my life. And until the age of 8 in my parents bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

lol, you can ask your friend for a picture at a party

None of the people involved in what started the discussion about it in this thread are friends.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It goes both ways

honestly if Michelle hugged me (with consent!) I'd be making the same face :3:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

NothingMatters posted:

But I'm a Latino. We are very touchy and feely. We hug and kiss everyone. You are Americans. You are very cold. You want "personal space.'

beep boop what is consent

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

honestly if Michelle hugged me (with consent!) I'd be making the same face :3:

Those arms...

The right wing is just scared of being the little spoon.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Has North Korea actually engaged in any terrorist activity recently?

Also, how the hell is Saudi Arabia not on that list.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Koalas March posted:

Yo, you don't have PM's but I'm here if you need to talk. You can explain it here (I am a bad mod) or shoot me an email at my.username@gmail.com

I think what's bothering me is that I tend to overanalyze social situations to begin with, and I have been trying to be less self-critical/hyperaware of my actions in any given moment. Right now the thread is encouraging more mindfulness and awareness of our actions around other people for good reason. The thought that I should be more aware and have probably violated someone's comfort zone in the past anyway just sets off all sorts of alarm bells and the desire to curl up into a little ball. I have no idea whether anyone else might be feeling this way when discussing recent events.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Exactly. Would you do this pose if you were at a work luncheon and they took a group photo? No? Then don't do it to this rando you don't know.

I've seen (and reported) some heinous poo poo going on at work events. In the workplace men often have a lot better sense of how powerless their victim is, compared to some random photo-op. Some of that poo poo went on for years.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't get why people would grope in photos but I guess I could understand it if it was to a significant other and it's a turn on for the both of you.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Koalas March posted:

Most people don't even loving ask. they just grab it, or start petting you like a dog. (See racist rear end Taylor Swift petting The Weeknd at a Vogue afterparty)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTtrnDbOQAU

This kinda goes both ways. I was the only white girl in my school and black girls would always be grabbing and touching my hair and trying to corn row it during classes. That poo poo hurts yo!

People in general need to learn that touching other people with out their permission isn't acceptable. I've always noted that i'd never want to be pregnant because it seems like personal space just goes out the window once there's a parasite on board.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I guess I haven't been in many situations where I've hugged someone I didn't know, or at least someone I didn't become acquainted with over the course of some time. When I hug my friend-girls, I usually put both hands on their middle-back-ish area, sometimes a little above, sometimes a little below, just however the hug happens.

I think as long as you're not weird about it and don't intentionally push it, they won't think you're a creep. But I've never had any issues in those kinds of social situations, so what do I know.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't get why people would grope in photos but I guess I could understand it if it was to a significant other and it's a turn on for the both of you.

i’m glad you don’t get the concept of sexual assault

aaaaaaaaaaa

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

NothingMatters posted:

Like I said the details going by that article are very vague. We don't know how long the contact was. What kind of hug Franken went in with. There's a lot of unknowns.

Either way in my circles asking how someone wants you to take a selfie is like going "Y..y..you too." It's very nerdy and seen as lame.

I grew up sleeping 4 kids in the same bed for half my life. And until the age of 8 in my parents bed.

Seen as lame by who?

As an aside, my family is made up of Latinx's as well (from El Savador) and let me tell you, that machismo poo poo is not healthy and I have seen members of my family cover up some real hosed up poo poo by saying "it's just our culture" so you might not wanna use that lovely rear end defense. The other half of my family on my mom's side is Italians and let me tell you, my mom tried to do that touchy feely poo poo to point were it became borderline abusive.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

All the booze-drenched second guesses on ~strattergery~ and fuzzy coke regrets just melting away...

..like an Iraqi toddler spattered with white phosphorus.

A little screaming pool draining away into the cold dark.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

NothingMatters posted:

Here's what the accuser said

quote:

He “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, he put his hand full-fledged on my rear,” Lindsay Menz told CNN's MJ Lee, who broke the story Monday. “It was wrapped tightly around my butt cheek.”

Seems clear to me. Franken's in (or should be in) a lot of trouble.

I'm not going to condemn anyone for doing a side-hug without asking, thats just culturally OK right now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DaveWoo posted:

Has North Korea actually engaged in any terrorist activity recently?

Also, how the hell is Saudi Arabia not on that list.

Because "state sponsor of terror" doesn't really mean anything anymore. It's just a preclude to harder action.

"This country is a state that sponsors terrorism!"

*Three news cycles pass*

"We have to bomb them! Everyone knows they do state sponsored terrorism!"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

This kinda goes both ways. I was the only white girl in my school and black girls would always be grabbing and touching my hair and trying to corn row it during classes. That poo poo hurts yo!

People in general need to learn that touching other people with out their permission isn't acceptable. I've always noted that i'd never want to be pregnant because it seems like personal space just goes out the window once there's a parasite on board.

It sucks that happened to you, but the systematic and societal view of black hair (which is inherently political) that black women have to deal with is not really on the same level.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alter Ego posted:

I'm willing to bet Barack Obama didn't feel physically uncomfortable when these were taken.

Why?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Because men aren’t systemically sexually assaulted or harassed by women and he has a great deal more power than the little old ladies in those pictures.

And again, he would still be entitled to not be ok with it.

But presenting them as “hurr durr he got groped too” as implicit dismissal is stupid and you can gently caress off with it.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/932657601548046341

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Because "state sponsor of terror" doesn't really mean anything anymore. It's just a preclude to harder action.

"This country is a state that sponsors terrorism!"

*Three news cycles pass*

"We have to bomb them! Everyone knows they do state sponsored terrorism!"

We aren't going to war with them next month

Why is everyone freaking out about this? I know I'm one to talk, but if you want to worry about something, worry about the poo poo going on in the Middle East

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

I think what's bothering me is that I tend to overanalyze social situations to begin with, and I have been trying to be less self-critical/hyperaware of my actions in any given moment. Right now the thread is encouraging more mindfulness and awareness of our actions around other people for good reason. The thought that I should be more aware and have probably violated someone's comfort zone in the past anyway just sets off all sorts of alarm bells and the desire to curl up into a little ball. I have no idea whether anyone else might be feeling this way when discussing recent events.

The reality of the world is that no one is perfect, and everyone has hosed up and made someone uncomfortable before. It's hard to find social boundaries, and there are a lot of fuckups along the way. As long as you recognize when you messed up and use it to grow then you are doing good.

When people really get poo poo on is when it's something that is blatantly wrong (grabbing people's asses for photos) or they are far too old to claim they don't know better. Doing microaggressions sucks but I don't think anyone here would call you out on it if you recognize what you did was wrong.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

When black girls would touch my hair, they asked first, we'd known each other for a while, and it was genuine curiosity. Whenever you see white folks touch black folks hair, they hardly know them, they don't ask, and send a clear message that the black person doesn't have agency over their own body as far as the white person is concerned.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

One of my friends would deadpan-stare at people that invaded her space like that and go "I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat" and continue staring until the more-awkward people went away.

It was pretty great watching the shock/embarrassment/horror flick across their faces before they'd run off.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

silicone thrills posted:

on touching hair

Koalas March posted:

on touching hair

This is a thing?
I've never heard of this before. I've gone my whole life without the urge to touch a strangers hair.
What is the draw for people in this? At best, it's just hair. At worst, greasy gel or worse.

I mean, I can admire a well done hairstyle. But I would not want to touch it.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Lightning Knight posted:

Don’t act like the only options are “assume you can intrude on women’s personal space without asking” and “be an uncool dweeb around women.” The answer is to ask and talk to people.

It’s the same poo poo as goons treating affirmative consent as some crazy outlandish concept the other day.

Fair enough. I was operating with an uncharitable interpretation of what posters here hade been saying.

Lemming posted:

I think the distinction is that I believe the "you don't need to ask people" (at least, this is my perspective), is that if the person reaches out to put their arm around your waist/shoulder that means they're comfortable, so you reciprocate, and if they don't, it means they're not so you don't.

Agreed.

There are certain human behaviors, particularly in social situations, that are usually not vocalized and aren't normally expected to be vocalized. This isn't necessarily to say that they shouldn't be, but that some of us have been socialized to behave in certain ways around other people, and learned rules as to what is acceptable/unacceptable or expected/unexpected behavior that don't necessarily align with norms proposed in this thread.

I for one grew up a really loving awkward person, and it took me a very long time to get over weirdness about touching people. Being told that I'm doing it wrong (or interpreting that this is what I'm being told) makes me defensive, and I think defensiveness in this thread is sometimes being interpreted as, like, bro-jock aggressor masculinity.

Anyhow, nobody thinks it's appropriate to grab someone's rear end in a photo op.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Hey, the person you are now knows better than the person you were then, so that's a major plus! The best thing you can do is forgive that person that doesn't even exist anymore, and focus on what YOU can do to make things better for yourself and the other people around you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Americans are hosed up.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
For whatever it's worth, I think it's fair to say that a politician side-hugging a stranger is different from side-hugging a stranger you just met at a bar or something.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RBA-Wintrow posted:

This is a thing?
I've never heard of this before. I've gone my whole life without the urge to touch a strangers hair.
What is the draw for people in this? At best, it's just hair. At worst, greasy gel or worse.

It's a really common thing for black people, especially women, due to the texture of their hair being different. Why anyone would just grab someone's hair is far beyond me, but it's a Major Thing for some God forsaken reason.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/932655293867184134?s=17

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Paracaidas posted:

Nah, dude should stay through the ethics investigation. Let all of his poo poo be exposed and put on record.

Then, and only then, should he resign.

Replacement will be interesting. Keith is certainly a possibility (though he's never run in a competitive election and it's unclear how he'd perform in a statewide election). Former Minneapolis Mayor (and early Obama supporter, and DNC vice-chair who protested the treatment of Bernie) RT Rybak is certainly likely to perform well in any reelection effort. Locally, there has been a push to tap one of the many women in office-whether someone who has already won statewide races (AG Lori Swanson) or women of color from the legislature (like Ilhan Omar from an immigrant-heavy district in Minneapolis that appears to be awakening to its political power or Melisa Franzen from upscale Panera suburbs).

He needs to go now. Democrats have been pushing the immediate get out for Moore. Sitting back and saying "Well when the ethics committee finds something" is the same horse poo poo Republicans are defending Moore with and democrats are bitching against. If the party and Al don't get this, then we're just as bad as Republicans in that sexual abusers can exist in either party and be defended.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

NothingMatters posted:

Congratulations. Not everyone is Latino, not everyone is touchy and feely and not everyone slept with 3 siblings for half their lives.

Your experience is unique to you and I'm confused as to why you cannot understand this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RBA-Wintrow posted:

This is a thing?

http://hairnah.com/

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/conncarroll/status/932654860163567616
2https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/932649076633538566
3https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/932653664610783232
4https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/932652398358777858
5https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/932652561521311744
6https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/932650260429754369
7https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/932649712817188870
8https://twitter.com/InvestigateRU/status/932651231389949952
9https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/932656248700440576
10https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/932652721563320320
11https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/932579546661978113
12https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/932652808335233024
13https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/932651737512579072
14https://twitter.com/FT/status/932655471000895488
15https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/932654677447061504
16https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/932654919865249795
17https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/932654641707388929
18https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/932654276152889345
19https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/932291230330949632
20https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/932621820745998337
21https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/932276034388467712
22https://twitter.com/JackSmithIV/status/932348573081133057
23https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/932653433605193728
https://i.imgur.com/BthuOO7.mp4

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

RBA-Wintrow posted:

This is a thing?

Basically:

Vintersorg posted:

Americans are hosed up.

But really, it's because there are a shitload of people out there that think invading another person's space without permission is ok because everyone else exists for their own personal entertainment.

It bugs me that so many people out there will just up and start groping a total stranger and think it's okay to do and then jump through all kinds of hoops to try and justify it when it's called out as hosed up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah good luck with that.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
As a MN goon I will admit I really hoped Franken's situation would be a one-off stupidity before he was elected. The ok apology and acceptance were giving me a bit of hope.

He gotta go now. Sorry Al, it's been fun. Thanks for getting Sessions to commit perjury, please resign.

I give it til end of day before next story breaks, tomorrow at latest.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

RBA-Wintrow posted:

This is a thing?

Black hair has many textures, that are foreign to yt folks who keep to their lily white circles. So they wanna touch it and see what it feels like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I was reading the CNN article about Franken and this part stuck out to me:

quote:

Minnesota statutes state that "intentional touching of the clothing covering the immediate area of the buttocks" is not considered criminal sexual conduct.

So... grabbing someone's rear end isn't sexual harassment as long as they're wearing pants? Seems pretty hosed up.

• Locked thread