Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I'm the chunky one with the bald spot immediately in front of the Landie's spare wheel.

Edit: I only got one goony visitor in the form of Olympic Mathlete. The nature of the event, I was kind of hoping we'd get either Tomarse's 101 or Bape's LSM3 in the mix.

I really wanted to go but I've overdone it for the past couple of months and have just spent the last 4 days feeling like total poo poo and trying to stay warm and shake the man-flu I've been fighting for the last 2.5 weeks.

I should probably have tried harder and got my poo poo together and come down. Being overworked and stressed and then feeling lovely on top has just destroyed my motivation

I don't trust the 101 to drive me anywhere at the moment either.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

eyebeem posted:

Took my older two kids and the Abarth 500C to cars and coffee in south Orange County yesterday since it's right down the street now. Was happy to see that an Abarth Cabrio actually gets attention when surrounded by exotics and classics.

Is it the right type of attention? :v:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
[quote="“Larrymer”" post="“478549378”"]
Is it the right type of attention? :v:
[/quote]

Only jerks don't like an Abarth. It's a fact.

One kid did yell to his dad "look daddy it's so tiny" as we drove out.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

eyebeem posted:

A $20000 stroller?

(sorry couldn't resist)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

eyebeem posted:

"look daddy it's so tiny"

Man if i had a nickle for everytime i've heard that one

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Need any help cleaning out the house though? Buy some beer and I'm there.

Possibly? I might need a hand lifting a gun safe and a dresser.
As for the rest of it, I'm already gonna have my sister, aunt, and grandmother there. It's gonna be a poo poo show and I really don't want to do this.

I'm taking off the 1st through 8th so if you or any other goons in the DFW area want to chill then PM me your number or whatever other preferred method of communication.
Looking forward to eating Pecan Lodge and In-N-Out every day though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

eyebeem posted:

Did you have the Ritchey on the back?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Tech/finance speak for a few minutes. There's the home networking thread.. but I'm not going to scan the entire thread for my specific use case and I have enough of an idea to keep things dangerous/interesting, plus you guys are way awesome-er.

Short version. Old xfinity plan for pretty quick internet+their voip. Due to when we signed on the plan, there wasn't much in the way of decent modems that would do their VOIP on the compatible list, so it's a $10/mo rental fee. Looking now, everything is all bundled wifi/voip/modem, and minimum $240.

So I started looking into other services and porting our number. Currently the comcast voip service is $25/mo+rental, totals out to $35.

Any reason not to shell out $100 for a SB6190 (or whatever one that will support wicked faster internets), $50 for whatever voip brick in the SHSC thread, and nix the xfinity VIOP service in lieu of Voip.ms? Any other providers worth looking at? I need to check with xfinity to make sure tossing the line doesn't screw the billing for internet... but saving roughly $30/mo to keep the same number on a line we barely touch seems like a no brainer. It WOULD pay off the hardware purchase in 6 months or less.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Any reason not to shell out $100 for a SB6190

I'd consider something DOCSIS 3.1, like the SB8200, which is unfortunately not super affordable at the moment. Your area might not have 3.1 right now, but it might be good to have for future-proofing.

That said, if you pay off the difference that quickly, it might be 100% fine to use the 6190 for a year or two until your area gets upgraded.

As to the VOIP stuff, I have no idea.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

It's supported... no reason not to future proof...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The SB6190 has some documented flaws. Either go higher or lower, but not that one (or anything using the same chipset).

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Coredump posted:

Did you have the Ritchey on the back?

Nah. If I ever build up the Colnago with Campy that I've been eying I'll have to throw it on the roof of the Abarth and go full Italian.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Possibly? I might need a hand lifting a gun safe and a dresser.
As for the rest of it, I'm already gonna have my sister, aunt, and grandmother there. It's gonna be a poo poo show and I really don't want to do this.

I'm taking off the 1st through 8th so if you or any other goons in the DFW area want to chill then PM me your number or whatever other preferred method of communication.
Looking forward to eating Pecan Lodge and In-N-Out every day though.

I've never been to Pecan Lodge (yet), been wanting to check them out.

PM deets sent.

(Whataburger is way better than In-N-Out though :colbert:)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

Edit: I only got one goony visitor in the form of Olympic Mathlete.

How dare you. :o

Also this was my car's rattier, more abused twin (mine was parked half a dozen cars up the road):

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You know whats a fantastic feeling? Standing at the checkout of the supermarket with $250 worth of groceries and getting your card declined. Because suddenly the account you know always has between $1200 and $2000 in it because its the staging area for the mortgage payment, bills and food shopping has had $1200 drained out of it by some fuckstain who spoofed a credit card number.

So now not only am I down $1200 for the next up to 40 days while waiting for the banks fraud department to work its poo poo out, but I'll have to eat the overdraft fees on my visa card cos I had to blow straight past its limit to actually buy food for the week. Great loving fun when you have a $1000 power bill, $600 rates bill, $300 utility bill for a meter change and house insurance all due within the next few weeks. So long emergency savings!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

You know whats a fantastic feeling? Standing at the checkout of the supermarket with $250 worth of groceries and getting your card declined. Because suddenly the account you know always has between $1200 and $2000 in it because its the staging area for the mortgage payment, bills and food shopping has had $1200 drained out of it by some fuckstain who spoofed a credit card number.

So now not only am I down $1200 for the next up to 40 days while waiting for the banks fraud department to work its poo poo out, but I'll have to eat the overdraft fees on my visa card cos I had to blow straight past its limit to actually buy food for the week. Great loving fun when you have a $1000 power bill, $600 rates bill, $300 utility bill for a meter change and house insurance all due within the next few weeks. So long emergency savings!

:( Not cool, god damned credit card skimmers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Our new engineering manager was meant to start today. He's simply not turned up. Through some investigation, it appears he's got an offer elsewhere, and couldn't be bothered to even say anything.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

How dare you. :o
Hey, it was good to meet you, though. We do need to have more of a UK meet up at some point, I think the majority of UK AI posters are all within about a 50 mile radius anyway.

I did manage to grab Frieburger just before the end to give him a quick show round the Landie. Also tried to persuade the guys they should do a build or something with a Rolls Royce V8.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ferremit posted:

Ughhh that sucks man. People are the goddamn worst. I once had someone somehow charge an ebay auction to my bank account. $200 and I felt my stomach sank, so I can't imagine how $1200 feels.

InitialDave posted:

Our new engineering manager was meant to start today. He's simply not turned up. Through some investigation, it appears he's got an offer elsewhere, and couldn't be bothered to even say anything.
I did that once, but I was 17 and it was at a bowling alley.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ferremit posted:

That sucks man. Your utilities though. :stonk:

If possible, use credit cards and not debit. I much prefer to have money stolen from a CC than straight from my account. ...They always seem to resolve it quicker when it's their money and not yours...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

So...you're hiring?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

I did that once, but I was 17 and it was at a bowling alley.
It is rather unprofessional, isn't it?

cakesmith handyman posted:

So...you're hiring?
Yes, but bear in mind that none of the people who've been here years want to take the job...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

angryrobots posted:

That sucks man. Your utilities though. :stonk:

If possible, use credit cards and not debit. I much prefer to have money stolen from a CC than straight from my account. ...They always seem to resolve it quicker when it's their money and not yours...

This - let the bank be the ones out the money for however long it takes them to figure it out, not your checking account. I never use my debit card anywhere, and so far (knock on wood) only my credit cards have had fraudulent activity on them, which was resolved quickly by the bank once discovered.

Also to Ferremit - talk to your bank manager and unless your bank is a bunch of shitters, you should be able to get any charges caused by this reversed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you never use you debit card anywhere why bother having one?

You're better off carrying cash these days because it's much more likely your card will get skimmed than getting robbed for your cash.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I use my debit card when I need cash and at the bank. That's it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wrar posted:

I use my debit card when I need cash and at the bank. That's it.

:same:

Always use credit, never had a problem getting fraudulent stuff off my CC.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Got to see Ragnarok yesterday and it was great! Lots of laughs and a good time. Cate Blanchett is incredibly good looking, not even taking into account she’s nearly fifty years old :psyduck:

Went and saw it on Sunday. I had a blast. Such good fun! I loved how things didn't always go the way Thor wanted them too. The bit with Dr. Strange was funny, too.

Larrymer posted:

:same:

Always use credit, never had a problem getting fraudulent stuff off my CC.

Started doing that recently (less than a year) myself, for the points I get on the CC, if nothing else.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've never been to Pecan Lodge (yet), been wanting to check them out.

PM deets sent.

(Whataburger is way better than In-N-Out though :colbert:)
Habit > In'N'Out > whataburger

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

InitialDave posted:

Trust me - in the big picture he did you a favor. The short term sucks though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ilkhan posted:

OH NO WHAT HAVE STARTED?!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Chicken Burger > Beef Burger.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

Trust me - in the big picture he did you a favor. The short term sucks though.
Eh, we've been without one for months anyway.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Haven't had one recently but I had a rash of debit cards being compromised a few years ago and my bank always issued a provisional credit immediately when I reported it, and they always found in my favor when investigating it.

Only downside is they started aggressively monitoring my activity for a few months after, and in one case blocked my purchase of a washing machine at a Lowes 10 miles from where I live yet allowed a fraudulent transaction to go through at a Meijer in Detroit minutes after making a purchase with my debit card from a vending machine at work.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Tech/finance speak for a few minutes. There's the home networking thread.. but I'm not going to scan the entire thread for my specific use case and I have enough of an idea to keep things dangerous/interesting, plus you guys are way awesome-er.

Short version. Old xfinity plan for pretty quick internet+their voip. Due to when we signed on the plan, there wasn't much in the way of decent modems that would do their VOIP on the compatible list, so it's a $10/mo rental fee. Looking now, everything is all bundled wifi/voip/modem, and minimum $240.

So I started looking into other services and porting our number. Currently the comcast voip service is $25/mo+rental, totals out to $35.

Any reason not to shell out $100 for a SB6190 (or whatever one that will support wicked faster internets), $50 for whatever voip brick in the SHSC thread, and nix the xfinity VIOP service in lieu of Voip.ms? Any other providers worth looking at? I need to check with xfinity to make sure tossing the line doesn't screw the billing for internet... but saving roughly $30/mo to keep the same number on a line we barely touch seems like a no brainer. It WOULD pay off the hardware purchase in 6 months or less.

Why do you even have the land line? Sounds like you don't need it.

I bought a super cheap used SB whatever (its DOCSIS 3) for like $35 on Amazon. My internet only plan (I get 250 down) on Comcast is around $75/mo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Haven't had one recently but I had a rash of debit cards being compromised a few years ago and my bank always issued a provisional credit immediately when I reported it, and they always found in my favor when investigating it.

Only downside is they started aggressively monitoring my activity for a few months after, and in one case blocked my purchase of a washing machine at a Lowes 10 miles from where I live yet allowed a fraudulent transaction to go through at a Meijer in Detroit minutes after making a purchase with my debit card from a vending machine at work.

Yeah, usually if you catch them quick in the US, the bank just gives back the funds and just watches you closer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ilkhan posted:

This is someone who has clearly never eaten at Whataburger.

edit: In 'N' Out is overrated hype. They're good, but nothing special, at least compared to what we already had here in Texas. Are other burger shops in California just bad?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 20, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If you never use you debit card anywhere why bother having one?

Because they force the drat things upon you these days?

One of my accounts I intentionally didn't even activate the debit cards for because it's not one I'll ever pull cash out of on a whim. The other two I only use to deposit and/or withdraw cash.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i havent used cash in probably five years. any place that's like "uh cash only buster" i go and put my poo poo back and go somewhere else

yeah lemme just carry a wad of something that can be stolen from me and not be able to be gotten back

edit: in retrospect maybe i have lived in detroit for too long

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

opengl128 posted:

Why do you even have the land line? Sounds like you don't need it.

I bought a super cheap used SB whatever (its DOCSIS 3) for like $35 on Amazon. My internet only plan (I get 250 down) on Comcast is around $75/mo.

It's used for all house primary traffic. I work from home so it can be useful on some stuff there, the in-laws only call the house, school stuff for kids, and when my wife was on-call for the hospital, it would always call the house. It has it's uses. But not $25/mo. uses.

TT - Way to support your local businesses. :p Imagine the lost revenue when they have to pay the $$$$ fees to all the credit cards users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i havent used cash in probably five years.

Yeah, it's weird teaching kids about cash when they never see me with any "hand money."

Cash is for poors.

In other news: I've been fighting with WOW cable for a week. For the past year-plus I've been getting speed readings of 65/66mb. Repeatedly. Month over month. November 10 they had internet service down for maintenance and, ever since then, I haven't seen over 62, with most readings in the mid-50s and down to 49mb.

Now I'm paying for a 60mb package, and just three months ago I re-upped with a long-term contract. Then they cut my speed by 15-20% and say "oh well, you're still getting your rated speed within our parameters." That's not okay. When I re-upped, I assumed that the service would continue as it had been provided.

They've since put me in the outsourced-only phone support box and the "executive support" person that's ignoring the issue doesn't know that I have the number for the executive assistant for the CEO. He'll know that soon. :D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 20, 2017

• Locked thread