Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgU9B07vaeU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

well why not posted:

It's weird that sitcom apartments are so much nicer than sitcom houses. HIMYM, Seinfeld & Frasier all had awesome sets, but stuff like Everybody Loves Raymond have awful midwestern trash homes.

idunno, jerry has a pretty small and basic apartment and its usually the same for the rest of the people in that show, jerry could have had a fireplace and garden tho. frasier is the only one with a "realistic" nice big apartment imo, niles apartment is so massive and convoluted that its just a parody of fancy apartments, didnt he have 3 stories and like a million libraries and irrc roz lives in a studio apartment. i remember very little about how i met your mother.

about everybody loves raymond, i just think that any place where the parents and children have separate bathrooms is pretty luxurious.

datajugend fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 18, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of TV characters have pretty unrealistically big houses. (partly a necessity, given how hard it'd be for camera angles and such in small rooms) Niles' place was specifically a historic building with some downsides (no modern air conditioning, iirc) and he ended up moving out into a cheaper place when the divorce went sour.

The Simpsons are a funny case given the house never has the same layout twice (though there's some loose common themes to it) and is even pointed out in show as way more than Homer should be able to afford, but also often cheap, filthy and falling apart. (though again, Homer being both cheap and lazy with maintenance probably doesn't help)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

datajugend posted:

i remember very little about how i met your mother.

This is the weirdest thing. HIMYM was a legit phenomenon, but they got greedy and dragged it out a season too long and then it was just gone from the collective consciousness. It's like Avatar but without the theme park.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

he ended up moving out into a cheaper place when the divorce went sour.

he moved back in after the divorce.

i remember himym was fun when they where young dumb assholes but it got boring when they started being adult assholes.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

datajugend posted:

he moved back in after the divorce.

i remember himym was fun when they where young dumb assholes but it got boring when they started being adult assholes.

They were in their late thirties and still having teenage level relationship problems, it got stupid quick. The Lily and Marshall side stories were always more interesting, because they had real life problems (ie. parents dying, separation, kids, career decisions)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

They were in their late thirties and still having teenage level relationship problems, it got stupid quick. The Lily and Marshall side stories were always more interesting, because they had real life problems (ie. parents dying, separation, kids, career decisions)

i like the one where the smug guy just is an rear end in a top hat all night but remembers it as awesome because he was drunk then it all comes flooding back

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ive never watched a single episode of HIMYM but it seemed from the outside like it was just Doogie Howser carrying the show on his back like some sort of Atlas because anytime anyone ever talked about they show, they were talking about something he was doing.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

the one where the smug guy just is an rear end in a top hat

How I Met Your Mother

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

datajugend posted:

idunno, jerry has a pretty small and basic apartment and its usually the same for the rest of the people in that show, jerry could have had a fireplace and garden tho. frasier is the only one with a "realistic" nice big apartment imo, niles apartment is so massive and convoluted that its just a parody of fancy apartments, didnt he have 3 stories and like a million libraries and irrc roz lives in a studio apartment. i remember very little about how i met your mother.

about everybody loves raymond, i just think that any place where the parents and children have separate bathrooms is pretty luxurious.

lol Jerry's apartment was not small and basic from an NYC point of view

it was a dope-as-hell one bedroom by basically any apartment standards (for the nineties; it would be dated these days but you could re-do it pretty easily) and by NYC standards it was spatial and luxurious

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 18, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tumble posted:

Jerry was a successful comedian though, so he could afford it. He could afford to buy his dad a new Cadillac, he clearly wasn't hurting for money. The real mystery is how Kramer can afford to be his neighbor, but you know, he's Kramer, he figured something out I'm sure.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Jerry was a successful comedian though, so he could afford it. He could afford to buy his dad a new Cadillac, he clearly wasn't hurting for money. The real mystery is how Kramer can afford to be his neighbor, but you know, he's Kramer, he figured something out I'm sure.

oh for sure, i'm not saying he wouldn't be able to afford it i'm just saying he had a really nice apartment

kramer just came from money someway or another. i've known a few dudes kind of like him - one of them was weird dude in his 40s in SF who was the son of a movie producer. he always wanted to hang out and do drugs and then go into his hottub afterwards and you'd think he was pervy and was trying to use it to get laid but nope, dude just loved being on drugs in the hottub

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
George and Elaine had bigger apartments IIRC but I think they lived further uptown. I was never quite sure where exactly they lived in relation to Jerry.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

Ive never watched a single episode of HIMYM but it seemed from the outside like it was just Doogie Howser carrying the show on his back like some sort of Atlas because anytime anyone ever talked about they show, they were talking about something he was doing.

He was the wacky breakout character, yes.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Wasn't Jerry on the road a lot, hence his friends coming over when he is in town? So it makes sense if he's not super rich to have a small but decent 1BR.

Also I thought it was canon Kramer is independently wealthy? (Lawsuit $ or something)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

Wasn't Jerry on the road a lot, hence his friends coming over when he is in town? So it makes sense if he's not super rich to have a small but decent 1BR.

Also I thought it was canon Kramer is independently wealthy? (Lawsuit $ or something)

Air conditioner fell on him or something.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Tumble posted:

it was a dope-as-hell one bedroom by basically any apartment standards (for the nineties; it would be dated these days but you could re-do it pretty easily) and by NYC standards it was spatial and luxurious

i have no clue about cost of living in new york, was a one bedroom apartment very expensive in the nineties?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

New York is where people that make $300k a year go to feel like people that make $50k anywhere else in the world.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

datajugend posted:

i have no clue about cost of living in new york, was a one bedroom apartment very expensive in the nineties?

Well NYC has a lot of breadth in it's real estate, but in general, yes, Jerry's apartment by today's standards would be Between $1,800-$2,400 a month in a lot of the city, and something that big for one person wouldn't exist in the rest of the city.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Well NYC has a lot of breadth in it's real estate, but in general, yes, Jerry's apartment by today's standards would be Between $1,800-$2,400 a month in a lot of the city, and something that big for one person wouldn't exist in the rest of the city.

it's a pretty spacey 1br, it's probably in the $3500 range tbh

but they do exist in NYC, it's where Wall Street is after all.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean housing is terrible in lots of places but people don’t understand that NYC is on a completely different level than the rest of the US when it comes to housing costs.

Tumble posted:

it's a pretty spacey 1br, it's probably in the $3500 range tbh

but they do exist in NYC, it's where Wall Street is after all.
You were almost exactly correct! The today show ran a story about tv apartments and they said that apartment in Midtown Manhattan in the 90’s would be $3,400 (which puts it in the $5,000/month range now LOLOLOL)

I made my smaller estimates because I thought he was in Brooklyn or much closer to the Bronx

One house that didn’t make sense was Full House, because it was like a four story town house but like 2 full sized families lived in it and it had like 4-5 adults contributing at any given moment and they were all in showbizness (Full House was weird)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I just remembered the muffin tops episode when George is pretending to be from Arkansas to score with a hot chick from the tourism beureau. She tells him he's a sucker for paying $2300 which in today's dollars is about $3500. So he probably was living in a crappy neighborhood on purpose thinking he was getting a good deal, classic George.

This is now the Seinfeld thread.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 19, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d love a Frazier Seinfeld Crossover where they are stuck on a plane together and the whole episode is Frasier on the aisle, Jerry by the window, just constantly nudging the guy in the middle going “geese can you believe this joker?”

But also Niles and George get into a fight and they both poise out and Roz and Elaine start off bitchy to each other but the last scene is the two of them drunk hugging in the airport bathroom

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

datajugend posted:

HIMYM blew its best will-they-won't-they in season 2, then left it for dead, then tried to bring it back, then killed it again (seemingly) for good, then suddenly brought it back at the very end just because it was the ending the writers originally wrote 9 years earlier.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

One house that didn’t make sense was Full House, because it was like a four story town house but like 2 full sized families lived in it and it had like 4-5 adults contributing at any given moment and they were all in showbizness (Full House was weird)
Originally Jesse was a pest exterminator, Joey was a struggling standup with a part time job in teaching/education, and Danny co-hosted a local morning tv show. They apparently owned the home though, as they are referenced having it through the big quakes of the 80s, and Danny's widows parents do show up a time or two, so it could have been a wedding gift or inherited by his wife or something.

Nowadays that place would be parted out into 30 studios with changing room partition walls that rent for only 1400 excluding water and waste.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Full House discussion belongs in a lesser thread

The actual floorplan for Frasier's apartment is brilliant for how many shooting angles it allows

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don't they occasionally have Frasier visit the apartments of his upstairs and downstairs neighbours, which logically follow the same floorplan?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Don't they occasionally have Frasier visit the apartments of his upstairs and downstairs neighbours, which logically follow the same floorplan?

Yup! No weird Friend's type apartment where Joey has a window 5 feet away from another building, and yet Chandler's room is still somewhere over there as well.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Frasiers apartment is a nightmare of wasted space. His kitchen is loving tiny compared to the vestibule

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

Frasiers apartment is a nightmare of wasted space. His kitchen is loving tiny compared to the vestibule

well its a set but architects have done renders of it based on what a "real" apartment with similar dimensions would look like.

his pad is baller as hell, dope kitchen too.

also he owns the space so he can pretty much do whatever he wants with it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
3.5 bathrooms is so decadent.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tumble posted:

he owns the space so he can pretty much do whatever he wants with it

Except put up a rare antique Japanese doorknocker

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Except put up a rare antique Japanese doorknocker

Yet Cammmm Winstonnnn can drape a giant flag any old place?!! The condo board will hear of this injustice!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

3.5 bathrooms is so decadent.

Yeah, my god, that is a $3m plus apartment at minimum in 2017; pretty sure there was nothing in Seattle at these dimensions in the early '90s.

lol $13m for 3br, 4 bath with adjacent Space Needle view: http://www.thecascadeteam.com/listing/1072148-undisclosed-unit-ph-seattle-homes-for-sale-in-98121/

At least the kitchen looks useable.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Laterite posted:

Yeah, my god, that is a $3m plus apartment at minimum in 2017; pretty sure there was nothing in Seattle at these dimensions in the early '90s.

lol $13m for 3br, 4 bath with adjacent Space Needle view: http://www.thecascadeteam.com/listing/1072148-undisclosed-unit-ph-seattle-homes-for-sale-in-98121/

At least the kitchen looks useable.

That looks more like the apartment from 50 Shades of Grey.

Hey they should do a crossover where Frasier pops round for sherry and compliments Mr Grey on his fine collection of antique butt plugs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes me think the apartment equivalent of a McMansion.

Kinda funny given Frasier's apparently a pretty good chef.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Apparently when he describes his apartment as “on the counterbalance,” he’s referring to the name of the street it’s on. I always thought it was some structural feature of the building.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It is funny that his bathroom is larger than his bedroom. We did see Martin's house in the first episode, right?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Frasier probably made from the sale of that condo than he ever made as a psychiatrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It is funny that his bathroom is larger than his bedroom. We did see Martin's house in the first episode, right?

A dumpy apartment he was living in but yeah